Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
He's 61 years old -vid must be old.
I met him at Daytona about ten years ago , a buddy of mine is a professional road racer [josh hayes] Josh rode with Kenny's son Curtis both rode for Erion racing at the time.
Kenny is as nice a guy as you'd ever meet .
We were in the Erion garage slot at Daytona when I spotted him -he smiled and I whispered to my friends son [motorcycle nut-14yrs old ] do you know who that is ? he didn't .
I told him it was Kenny Jr and Curtis dad -Kenny Roberts -world champion Grand Prix racer -Kenny saw his face light up and nearly laughed. I pushed him towards Kenny and said go over there and I'll take your picture --Kenny shook his hand and put his arm around around his shoulder and I snapped their photo.
The guys talking in the vid -Kevin Swanse [sp?] and Valentino Rossi both world class racers and champions.
Road racing is as exciting/fun as anything I have ever done. Pinning the throttle on a yamaha r1 -banging gears at redline towards a sharp corner hammering the brakes so hard that your azz is floating off the seat then sling it in there with several other bikes is addicting. Gets my heart beating fast just thinking about it .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MColeman
[quote=Anaconda]Living in Fresno, just out of high school we went to Laguna Seca every year from 1974 to 1984.
Kenny owned that race, a road race course in a foothill setting.
He was always the best rider on the track, with the best equipment and the best pit team.
A French-Canadian rider named Evon Duhamil (Spelling?) usually gave him a good run for his money, but Kenny always won.
Camping on the infield, BBQing Tri Tips and drinking beer, good times.
[/quote

Yvon DuHamel rode for Kawasaki and he trouble keeping his bikes running the whole race. He was a good rider, too.

---------------------------------------------------

His son is Miguel -also a champion racer and nice guy.

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another great rider is Freddie Spencer. King of the wet track. I remember him winning a GP by a stupid margin in the rain, more than a minute I believe.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
He rode an experimental Yamaha OW69 at Daytona on some test rides in the early 80's. It was a 750cc 2 stroke and he couldn't keep the back tire from breaking loose,even on the straightaways.
My Pop actually got to talk to him about it.
When I raced motorcycles I never got to meet him but I saw him do a trials bike course in Florida.
He is pretty much the only one of my racing heroes that I never got to meet or race against.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I still think Dave Despain put it best when describing Super Bike racers, "They bring the family jewels in a wheelbarrow".

Roberts, Spencer, Duhamel, and many others were just fearless.

Sean
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here you go Anaconda, see if you can find yourself in the spectators. Some old school racing at Laguna Seca '79.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jc-dB4DB7dg[/video]

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
That reminds me of a guy that rode everything and did more on his own dime than anyone else in that time. I attended one of his classes on going fast and it turned me into something with potential.
Steve Wise was one of those guys that carted his boys around in a wheel barrow.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Here you go Anaconda, see if you can find yourself in the spectators. Some old school racing at Laguna Seca '79.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jc-dB4DB7dg[/video]

Lawson took flat track dirt racing to the asphalt.

That pic demonstrates it.

While all of the European riders were looking for the best line down low, Lawson took the high line and drifted the ass end of his bike around the curves.

It hung 'em up.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Eddie Lawson -,Kawasaki made an Eddie Lawson replica of that bike -a friend bought the one that came to the Ms. coast --he liked to drink and ride .
Guess what happened to the bike. laf.

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used to go to the Indy Mile & the Columbus race in the late '70's - mid-'80's..........by then, Harley was ruling the flat track mile's & Springsteen was flying high.

Roberts was always the best rider on the track, but during that time, the HD's just had too much torque...........Roberts would pull up in the corners & fall back on the straights.

Roberts was the most talented road racer I ever saw but some of the guys riding the Superbikes today are pretty unbelievable too.

As Mickey Coleman mentioned, the Isle of Man is incredibly scary to watch.........can't even imagine riding it.

MM

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Sean
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My racing was confined to The Drag Strip.You have to have super reflexes and be in great physical shape to Road Race.Kenny da Man!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
The Isle of Man racing is one of the more insane things to have ever been conceived by Anglo Saxons.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntz
You have to have super reflexes and be in great physical shape to Road Race.Kenny da Man!!!

That is an understatement. My Pop was like Hitler about me working out and being in shape for almost a decade.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Bart ,

Did you race AMA or WERA ?

Posted by Bristoe
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The Isle of Man racing is one of the more insane things to have ever been conceived by Anglo Saxons.

------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not one to say very many things should be outlawed but Isle of Mann is beyond dangerous.
I remember -maybe 20 years ago two brothers were both in the race ,one wiped out and was killed and his brother came by and realized that that was his brother under the sheet.

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Bart ,

Did you race AMA or WERA ?

I raced AMA Supercross and outdoor events after I turned professional.. Before that I raced NMA and went to the NMA Nationals in Ponca City Oklahoma. At one time I accumulated more points than anyone ever to qualify for the Amateur Nationals. That year I did well enough for Yamaha to give me a shot at the big time. I admittedly wasn't ready for pro motocross/supercross threw at me but I eventually did very well.
I'll add that I'm lucky that I didn't have any serious injuries.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I grew up racing motocross in the late 70 and early 80s. I certainly followed KR and have a great respect for his talent. He and Freddie Spencer could make those bikes fly!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Tenfour.

I was a top amateur M/X'r [local stuff not national],,always wanted to be really good at motoX but I was just never able to get going like some guys I knew and rode with.
Being 6'2 -190lbs didn't help either.
As far as injuries I did OK -minor stuff broke arm -collar bone -mild leg break .
My goal was to ride until I was 60 ,but I broke my back about eleven years ago at age 43 . I sit here now with a pillow behind my back for lumbar support .
Still have the monster the ended my riding 2001 Honda cr 500.

Last edited by ol_mike; 03/16/14.

Posted by Bristoe
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by Bristoe

------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not one to say very many things should be outlawed but Isle of Mann is beyond dangerous.
I remember -maybe 20 years ago two brothers were both in the race ,one wiped out and was killed and his brother came by and realized that that was his brother under the sheet.

I've been sitting here watching racing clips on youtube.

Some coverage of an Isle of Man race stated that 7 people had died that week.

3 racers and 4 spectators.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12savage, 62 invisible), 2,905 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,643
Posts18,512,351
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.