Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What is the possibility that this IFF was turned off, and the plane was flown directly above or below another plane so it appeared to radar and satellite to just one plane ?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
::SIGH::

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Pete E
Next question is why?

Unless Pakistan has a very compelling reason, they will be in a world of crap in short order..

Which begs the question, what would Pakistan do with the plane and passengers?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not Pakistan why would they need one? they have plenty of jets. The problem is there are rogue factions within the military in Pakistan, third world radar and their operators are horrible and that jet could have easily landed on a strip near the Tribal Lands or where Rogue Pakistani factions are in control.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
no need to fly directly behind, just a little above or below and to the side. Hell we used to do it with 36" of wing tip to canopy clearance smile

How much more difficult would it be to fly a Boeing 777-200 with a wingspan of 199 feet and 11 inches (source: Boeing) to fly within 36" of another aircraft? Especially at night?

smile

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bump ... for an answer.

Originally Posted by fish head
Here's a technical question regarding this statement in the OP ...

"Wouldn�t the SIA68 flight have detected MH370? NO! The Boeing 777 utilizes a TCAS system for traffic avoidance; the system would ordinarily provide alerts and visualization to pilots if another airplane was too close. However that system only operates by receiving the transponder information from other planes and displaying it for the pilot. If MH370 was flying without the transponder, it would have been invisible to SIA68. "

Would MH370 have been undetectable by SIA68?

Big jets have weather radar but would it show a return on a flying object that didn't have a transponder?

Does it have coverage to the rear of the aircraft?

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
No. You can only see what's out front.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What about picking up an aircraft that doesn't have a functional transponder?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Night has nothing to do with it, the 36" measure was obviously tongue in cheek as that is what the Blues do but we did it as well. Wingspan is really not the issue when joining, all you have to do is measure closure rate as your canopy approaches the other airplane's wing tip so it doesn't matter how long the other guy's wing is. In the old days, before you democraps destroyed the warrior culture, we used to do that to Russian Bears, come right up their pooper and moon the commie bastards. But to the point of the OP, I'm betting you can get as far as 1000' in alt and latereal distance and the ATC geeks wouldn't pick it up.

Last edited by jorgeI; 03/18/14.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
TCAS displays targets with operating transponders only. If the target is in front the weather radar will give you just a raw hit off acft. If the target is behind you with transponder off.... There is no way to detect them, or see them.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Czech_Made
I am afraid the plane will be found few years from now when somebody flies it into Manhattan/Capitol/White House, loaded with explosives.

Maybe they'd be doing us a favor.

Mathew 22: 37-39

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jorgeI
::SIGH::

grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
No one has yet mentioned a UFO abduction�.and we can`t track them on radar either..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djs
Interesting theory and certainly plausible but I wonder which country would risk the wroth of the world by deliberately allowing the plane to land?

Pete, In my unknowing opinion, I can't imagine any legitimate nation wanting to risk such an involvement. Of course, in the Afghanistan of yore when the Taliban ruled, I could see some crazy fundamentalist risking it, but I can't think of any government in SE or NE Asia (including North Korea) who would cooperate in such a hijacking today.

This plane (Boeing 777) can probably never appear in the world again; it would be instantly recognized (all aircraft parts are serial numbered and tracked by manufacturers, so it can't very well be parted out). My best guess is that the plane crashed, either in the sea or on land. Given the ruggedness of the land terrain and the vastness of he Indian Ocean it apparently passed over, the wreckage may never be found - another enduring mystery, such as Emilia Earhart and NW Airlines 2501.

I suspect its crashed somewhere in the Indian Oceaan..I am leaning towards "pilot suicide" but we might be doing the crew a grave injustice..

As to the plane turning up having been landed in the Tribal lands or China, I feel that while possible, its a long shot for a number of reasons; time will tell I guess..

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I seems plausible that it could have shadowed another aircraft most or all of the way to a "destination".

If it did that, there'd have to be a compelling reason and then when they reached the destination, it would take a fair number of people on the ground participating. Also, there'd have to be someplace available to hide something that big. The US has some decent drone capability extending from at least north Africa to all of Pakistan. It seems unlikely it could be kept all that secret. It seems unlikely any nation would risk getting caught with it. Doubtless, Israel has as many eyes in position as it can muster. Likewise, the US.

The only probable use for the plane is a major strike somewhere, and there are certainly ways to accomplish that without the risk involved in trying to get this aircraft back in the sky. I suppose that if they could pull off shadowing another aircraft to a point where they could drop out of sight and put it on the ground, they could do a similar stunt and like as not wait untl they were undetectable and assume the squawk of an aircraft that was just blown up over the middle of the ocean.

But... all of this would take a lot of infrastructure and trained people to pull off. With diminished chances for success with all the people looking at all the possibilities and looking night and day for that plane, using the plane itself as a weapon looks like a long shot to me.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't know much but the ocean is huge. If I had to bet its in the drink.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
With the amount of manpower required to pull it off, something would have leaked by now if it were on the ground safely.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
What is the possibility that this IFF was turned off, and the plane was flown directly above or below another plane so it appeared to radar and satellite to just one plane ?
THAT'S a interesting theory

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a theory that makes sense.

They know where the plane was when it went missing. That's indisputable and there's no reason to question this "fact".

The Thai's supposedly picked it up six minutes later headed on a different course. The Malaysians supposedly tracked it too. One thing though that I haven't heard is complete radar info including time, altitude, location, and heading.

The aircraft supposedly went up then down but why is there no data on location and heading when it went up and down?

They supposedly have a distance from the satellite but why only one ping and one radius? They should have picked up multiple pings over the hours it was pinging and have different radiuses.

Here's the deal. If they had all of the above radar and satellite data, and it was complete, then why in the hell can't somebody figure time, distance, estimated speed, location, heading, and draw lines and circles on a map, and then connect the dots?

Here's another way they figure could the location/heading of the plane if the satellite data is correct. If you use the last known location, time of the ping, the radius of possible locations, and then use time of flight and estimated speed(s) you'd narrow the location at a given time waaaaaay down. It would not be an area from the far north to the far south and everything in between.

*** You'd have to assume it traveled in straight line to be reasonably accurate.

There's some really bad info circulating.

Does that make sense?

Last edited by fish head; 03/18/14. Reason: more info, again
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

I suspect its crashed somewhere in the Indian Oceaan..I am leaning towards "pilot suicide" but we might be doing the crew a grave injustice..

If it was pilot suicide, he could have just nosed it over en route. It makes no sense to make a hard turn and fly on evasively for several hours.

As far as landing and hiding the plane is concerned, it doesn't have to be at an airport. It wouldn't be horribly hard to make a crude strip in a desert in a remote area and/or private property. The plane could also land on a straight highway and might even be able to land on some dry lake beds. If rogue Pakis were involved, they may have a runway, hanger and fuel at their disposal.

If the plane's new owners can refuel it, they have a guided missile with enormous capacity and an 8800 mile range.

Your thoughts on this, Jorge?

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

177 members (1OntarioJim, 320090T, 7887mm08, 257 roberts, 6mmCreedmoor, 3dtestify, 18 invisible), 1,097 guests, and 964 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,093
Posts18,522,144
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.