Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Wow! How would it be to have a neighbor who'd leave you something like this?

Pristine 1967 Chevrolet Corvette found in garage to be auctioned
Published March 21, 2014
FoxNews.com
This 47 year-old car didn�t just run when it was parked a quarter century ago, it practically still had that new car smell.

A 1967 Chevrolet Corvette with just 2,996 miles on the odometer and one of the most interesting tales to tell is going on sale at the Mecum Auctions Houston event in April.

The 427/390 hp V8-powered coupe was purchased in 1966 by 30-year-old Don McNamara of Colorado Springs, with $5,000 he won on a trip he made to Las Vegas to celebrate his retirement from the U.S. Marines.

For a few months afterwards, the very private McNamara was occasionally seen tooling around town in the distinctive white two-door with its red �stinger� stripe on the hood, but soon it disappeared and was never spotted again. That is until 2011, when McNamara passed away and left his entire estate to his neighbors, who discovered the car parked in his garage under a shipping blanket festooned with American and Marine Corps flags.

Despite telling anyone who asked that he didn�t own the car anymore, it turns out that McNamara had been secretly driving it at night, having decided not to pay the title and license renewal fees after his first year of ownership. The man who never had a credit card or checking account apparently saw this as his own personal version of pure American freedom.

According to Mecum, McNamara finally parked it for good in the mid-1980s, having been the only person who ever drove it. Only two others had sat behind the wheel, and the passenger seat was never used. It�s never been in the rain, or washed with water.

The couple that inherited it sold it in 2012 to collector Dr. Mark Davis, who has displayed it at a few events and is now sending it across the block in Houston. There�s no telling what it is worth.

According to the Hagerty price guide, a typical top condition 1967 427 Corvette with a 4-speed manual goes for around $114,000, but this one is far from typical.

Along with the extremely low miles, it comes with the original window sticker and documentation, plus McNamara�s driver�s license and other artifacts related to his ownership of the car.

If a picture of this car is worth 1,000 words, the whole kit and caboodle should be enough write a novel with.

And with a back story like this, someone probably will.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
thats a nice one. i really appreciate the old muscle cars but i gotta say that before i'd drop the money for a toy like that, i'd drop half of it on a 2014 Z51. it would eat that 67 for lunch with the a/c on and you would be able to hear yourself think while doing it. i'd then drop the other half on either a challenger SRT8 or a 2014 Z28. these are "the good old days" for muscle cars once again.

My diploma is a DD214
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rem141r
thats a nice one. i really appreciate the old muscle cars but i gotta say that before i'd drop the money for a toy like that, i'd drop half of it on a 2014 Z51. it would eat that 67 for lunch with the a/c on and you would be able to hear yourself think while doing it. i'd then drop the other half on either a challenger SRT8 or a 2014 Z28. these are "the good old days" for muscle cars once again.

Never understood why someone would want a muscle car and not be able to hear the engine roar...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Screw allthat 2014 z28 BS. I'll take the 67, roll the windows down, creep down the gravel driveway onto the highway in front of the house, dump the clutch on that 4-speed, and let those 427 CI cook the goodyears, listen to the music flowing through the headers, down to the side pipe exhaust.

At the stop light, I'll open the passanger door so your girlfriend can get in and ride with a BAMF in a 67, 427 Vette. wink

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Exactly, the new generation of super cars are made for worn out old guys that want the performance of a muscle car and the ride of a Cadillac...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Exactly, the new generation of super cars are made for worn out old guys that want the performance of a muscle car and the ride of a Cadillac...

We had a small issue when we did the start up of the gen-II LT-1 motor. The front faces of the heads weren't on the same plane of each other so the cam driven water pump didn't mount square to the block. The engine had a little whine to it that came from the water pump. A few customers complained. My thoughts were that it's a 'Vette for GOD sakes, embrace the roar!!!

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Great story and car!

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Yeah, and that is just what I have in my 1956 Eldorado Seville. It won't do 0 to 60 in 7 seconds but it ain't exactly a slouch either.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
like i said, i like the old ones. but the new ones are a much better car. faster, better handling, and more reliable and just as sexy looking if not more so than the old ones.

and ya tzone, you can cruise by the nursing home and impress the geriatric chicks whilst i'm down at the beach with a 20-something hottie cruising in my Z51. wink

My diploma is a DD214
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
This thing might go for $500K?

Truly a one of a kind I would think.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I would love to own the "old", but I dearly love to "drive" the new. grin

Heck, my wifey even likes it. cry

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you ever get the chance to drive a modern day "muscle" car you'll have a hard time describing something from the 60's as really having muscle. I love those old cars, like the Chevelle's, Cuda's, Camaro's, Shelby's and Cobra's, but they don't perform like the new stuff does.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RDFinn
If you ever get the chance to drive a modern day "muscle" car you'll have a hard time describing something from the 60's as really having muscle. I love those old cars, like the Chevelle's, Cuda's, Camaro's, Shelby's and Cobra's, but they don't perform like the new stuff does.

The new ones don't look nearly as good.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Unless you're a fan of plastic and no lines.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd agree with that whole heartedly.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

That can be addressed..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Buying this car would be a total waste of money unless you where a Vintage Car Collector . With today's gasoline it wouldn't last long if you decide to drive it

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rosco1

That can be addressed..

Yes, but for me, the value stays with those old beauties when they are left stock.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IIRC, I read somewhere that only 20 1967 Corvettes got the upgraded 1966 427 cubic inch L88 engine, which is going to send this cars price through the roof.

Pair that with the excellent condition and story behind the car and someone will be in for one big ass payday.

Others with this rare motor have sold for $1,000,000

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The new ones aren't as cool as some of the old ones, but you the can't deny the ls engine series rocks.New one carve corners too... Nothing like poping the hood on an old chevelle and seeing those big wide valve covers though. I don't imagine the new ones will ever smell like a chevelle either.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

724 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16Racing, 63 invisible), 2,857 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,844
Posts18,478,302
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.