Oh my.

GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WinModel70
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

Oh my.

I bet By the last day of bidding it will be over $1600.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
MOG Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Oh wow that's nice, do you think they'd ship to Australia?

Regards,

Mog

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by 79S
I bet By the last day of bidding it will be over $1600.

Given "NIB, Unfired, Complete with hang tags", I wouldn't bet against you...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm really, really glad it's not a .308.

IC B2

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
That would be a difficult gun to buy. You will have to pay a premium price for the NIB/hang tag condition, but that premium value will disappear the more you shoot it. So it either a collection/investment gun, or a pretty spendy gun to take to the field the first time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, at this point in time it's only an investment piece. And only an investment piece until or if Winchester makes more LH Model 70's. For the price that this factory 70 is likely to sell for you could get a really nice custom built on an MRC or LH Zastava.

I'm seeing several firearms in the Classifieds or on gunbroker whose asking price is all out of proportion to their "worth" - except as worth is defined by whatever someone is willing to pay for them.

The Remington 788 and Nylon 66 are classic cases of this as well - a finite supply has driven prices of useful but mediocre quality firearms to levels where you can buy a new rifle of equal or in the case of the 66 far superior accuracy and certainly equal or better features for the same or less money.

Pythons are nice revolvers but they aren't 5 times nicer revolvers than similar Smith and Wessons. LH Model 70's - particularly the first run of Sporters of which this is an example - had bolt faces that looked like they were machined by a screwdriver. Timing on bolts was iffy - you may get a good one or you might get one where the bolt handle pops up 3/4" when you pull the trigger. Accuracy was okay but nothing to write home about, back then an out of the box Remington would equal or beat it, and I know as I had several of each during that time frame.

Not knocking collectors, whatever floats a man's boat is okay with me, but paying these kinds of prices for cult status is definitely not what floats mine.

Unless someone wants to pay $5,000 for a certain LH Stainless .30-06 from the Winchester Custom Shop which may or may not be in my possession - in which case I am completely on board with the current pricing structure... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Yep, at this point in time it's only an investment piece. And only an investment piece until or if Winchester makes more LH Model 70's. For the price that this factory 70 is likely to sell for you could get a really nice custom built on an MRC or LH Zastava.

I'm seeing several firearms in the Classifieds or on gunbroker whose asking price is all out of proportion to their "worth" - except as worth is defined by whatever someone is willing to pay for them.

The Remington 788 and Nylon 66 are classic cases of this as well - a finite supply has driven prices of useful but mediocre quality firearms to levels where you can buy a new rifle of equal or in the case of the 66 far superior accuracy and certainly equal or better features for the same or less money.

Pythons are nice revolvers but they aren't 5 times nicer revolvers than similar Smith and Wessons. LH Model 70's - particularly the first run of Sporters of which this is an example - had bolt faces that looked like they were machined by a screwdriver. Timing on bolts was iffy - you may get a good one or you might get one where the bolt handle pops up 3/4" when you pull the trigger. Accuracy was okay but nothing to write home about, back then an out of the box Remington would equal or beat it, and I know as I had several of each during that time frame.

Not knocking collectors, whatever floats a man's boat is okay with me, but paying these kinds of prices for cult status is definitely not what floats mine.

Unless someone wants to pay $5,000 for a certain LH Stainless .30-06 from the Winchester Custom Shop which may or may not be in my possession - in which case I am completely on board with the current pricing structure... wink

Well [bleep] since you put it that way I will sell mine at the next funded sheriff buy back program for $100 since they are absolute garbage and might blow up if you shoot federal blue box ammo through it. Sounds like the folks at Winchester who made these inferior piles of garbage should be shot! Now what to do with that $100 bucks hhmmm

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perhaps my post was not worded well enough.

I would pay $800 for a new LH Winchester but do not consider them worth $1200 or $1600 when other LH CRF rifles of equal or better quality are available for that amount or less.

If in stating my opinion on the matter you feel that I have insulted your personal Winchester then please accept my apology.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Perhaps my post was not worded well enough.

I would pay $800 for a new LH Winchester but do not consider them worth $1200 or $1600 when other LH CRF rifles of equal or better quality are available for that amount or less.

If in stating my opinion on the matter you feel that I have insulted your personal Winchester then please accept my apology.

I was joking around I know what you meant are these worth $1600 I don't thinks so. But as folks say market dictates. I know a lot of folks have issues with MRC stocks but you can buy a winchester stock and drop the barreled action in it, might need a little fitting. MRC barrels are very good I had a couple MRC barrels and those rifles were tack drivers. But if someone wants to pay me $1200 for my L/H model 70's I will sell it to them with no issues.

Last edited by 79S; 03/23/14.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1badf350, 1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,164
Posts18,503,048
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.