Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I mean where you know for sure a larger caliber would have made a difference. I'm not talking about a deer never recovered so that exactly what went wrong isn't known for sure. I mean one that had a good shot on it that didn't anchor it quickly. Something that required a lot of tracking or a follow up shot where you could see that a larger caliber would have been better.

I'm not someone that thinks magnums are required for deer. I've hunted a few times with a 223 but never taken a deer with one. All my deer have been killed with a 270 or 7mm mag.

I'm about to buy a Kimber Montana. I am agonizing between the 243 and 7mm-08. I want a very light recoil since the kids and wife may use this rifle from time to time. I don't reload presently but am about to start. I have heard good things about the 80 grn Barnes TTSX in 243 and think that might be a great low recoiling choice. On the other hand I suppose the 7mm-08 could be loaded for low recoil and still shoot a heavier bullet.

I appreciate any insight into my indecision. There may not be a bad choice here. Recoil is a big issue but not at the cost of being less effective. Shots would all be under 200 yards.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If I had other issues, like the only gun I have etc... I would not go 243. Just me.

Other than that I"ve never had a 243 in my hands where I needed something bigger. Its got the job done every time on deer. And pigs. And done it quite well. Quicker to find deer and more DRT than my 300 mags give.

And its been good to just this side of 600 yards.

For 200 yards and in, on non once in a lifetime deer, I wouldn't blink twice about the 243. With the wife and kids added, the 7x08 can have a bit sharper recoil, especially in the smaller rifles...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes. I've hunted with a number of guys over the years (too many) who used the .243 Win. Their deer ran further and left less of a blood trail after being shot than deer shot with bigger guns. Now I am talking about driven deer. Being pushed gets their adrenaline up and they are normally running to some degree. These guys also used garden variety 100 grain cup and cores. But the same is also true for the guys running .270's, .308's, and .30-06's and their deer kills were less of a rodeo. I'll also add that I've not shot a single deer with a .243 and if I had it would have been with a premium bullet and I'm sure the outcome would have been better.

Last edited by moosemike; 04/04/14.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks. Yes, only deer and pigs. I'm not a trophy hunter, so more likely a 70 lb. doe than a 200 lb. buck. Even if I targeted something larger I have other larger caliber rifles. I just want this under 6 lb. all up rifle to be shootable for the whole family but have plenty of confidence that it is enough for deer and hogs. The hogs would be few and far between and I don't hunt varmints except when a coyote of opportunity presents itself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I mean where you know for sure a larger caliber would have made a difference. I'm not talking about a deer never recovered so that exactly what went wrong isn't known for sure. I mean one that had a good shot on it that didn't anchor it quickly. Something that required a lot of tracking or a follow up shot where you could see that a larger caliber would have been better.

I have killed a bunch of caribou with both 6mm and 7mm-08. Overall the bigger caliber seems to put animals down just a bit quicker. However the difference is not huge on the smaller ungulates, certainly not something where you could blame a "failure to recover" on the cartridge itself.

I have cleaned up a few "messes" which others started, generally by shooting smaller calibers - perhaps even rimfires- and doing it poorly. The only caribou I've seen shot but not recovered happened with 300 magnum. Bullet path is everything.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm not someone that thinks magnums are required for deer. I've hunted a few times with a 223 but never taken a deer with one. All my deer have been killed with a 270 or 7mm mag.

I'm about to buy a Kimber Montana. I am agonizing between the 243 and 7mm-08. I want a very light recoil since the kids and wife may use this rifle from time to time. I don't reload presently but am about to start. I have heard good things about the 80 grn Barnes TTSX in 243 and think that might be a great low recoiling choice. On the other hand I suppose the 7mm-08 could be loaded for low recoil and still shoot a heavier bullet.

I appreciate any insight into my indecision. There may not be a bad choice here. Recoil is a big issue but not at the cost of being less effective. Shots would all be under 200 yards.

Either one of those will work. The .243 is great if you understand its limitations. For a less-experienced shooter that may just shoot for center-vitals, this means memorizing the location of the animal before you pull the trigger. There won't be as much sign to go on, on average, from a deer hit through the lungs with a 6mm bullet versus a 7mm bullet, assuming similar bullet construction. I've used both chamberings. A well-built 6mm bullet in the vitals will kill reliably, but can mean a bit more work if things aren't anchored on the spot. Notice I say "can mean", as I've also had some easy tracking jobs with 6mm's. The only times a 6mm has really made my life hard was when I was running cup/cores and had to take an angling shot. Tracking was tough, but a good TSX, E-Tip, or Partition would have made a lot of difference too.

In a rifle as light as the Montana, I'd probably go 243win if you want the wife and kids to really enjoy it and get proficient with it. Today's bullets make it better than it used to be.

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For deer no, but I would go along with the thought that a larger caliber may leave a better blood trail. No way of proving this and the .243 usually either drops them quickly or requires only a short distance to find.

For bigger hogs it seems on the light side for chest shots but no issues when head shots are taken.

I think the .260 would be a great compromise especially for a hand loader, it would overlap both the 6&7mm versions some with bullets in the 80-140 grn. range.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree. The 260 is the best option in my book, but it takes handloading and often a custom-built rifle to get the best out of it. Factory options for ammo and rifles ain't the best these days.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Flip a coin.

Buy rifle in whichever cartridge wins the flip, or whichever cartridge you can find.

Go kill stuff.

It's really not complicated. Either will work fine, especially on smaller big game under 200 yards.

Mental masturbation about cartridge choice is a silly game.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Flip a coin.

Buy rifle in whichever cartridge wins the flip, or whichever cartridge you can find.

Go kill stuff.

It's really not complicated. Either will work fine, especially on smaller big game under 200 yards.

Mental masturbation about cartridge choice is a silly game.

But it's great entertainment! grin

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The bullet you chose is more important than the head stamp on the cartridge

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The only thing I found it lacks is recoil. Otherwise it works great for my needs.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I am leaning heavily toward 243 and I'm getting into reloading very soon. I already bought a press and bought 100, 80 grn. TTSX bullets yesterday. I figured get them while I can since things are so scarce. I already have a Sako 243 but haven't killed anything with it yet so the bullets won't be wasted even if I choose something else. The Sako is too nice to hunt in all weather, so I don't mind a second all weather 243.

What other bullets should I look at in 243? Do you think the Barnes 80 grn TTSX is a good choice?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The 80gr TTSX is an excellent all-rounder for the 243. I also like the 95gr NBT and if you are going to be shooting factory rounds for a little bit longer, the Fed 95gr Fusion load has performed well on deer and hogs and has been accurate in several 243's that I've owned.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I was hunting deer when the .243 was introduced. While I've never owned one, I've seen several of them used by hunters of various abilities. One of those was my 2nd wife who I loaded ammunition for. I did own and hunt exrtensively with the .240 Wheatherby Magnum.
I insist on on larger rounds for deer simply because I feel like I have an edge with larger rounds, say the .308 firing 165 gr. premium bullets. That is just a gut feeling.
I have no real proof of this. What I have seen is that the .243 works alot better than many, including myself, would think.
The one thing I am quite sure of is that if you shoot a .243 significantly better than a heavier, larger round, no matter what the big game, you are better off with a .243. I'll never forget reading an article by a guy named Les Bowman, whoi used to write for Guns and Ammo magazine and test products for Remington. His guided hunters did alot better on elk with either the .243 or the 6mm Remington than his hunters carrying the .338 Winchester Magnums. Over the years, I seen this sort of thing myself. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My experience is from several years ago when my brother had a 243. He was using cup and core bullets on blacktail which generally run 110-125lbs.
I was with him when we saw a buck at about 150-200 yards. He shot it and it showed no effect and began to run. He shot 4 more times without any effect. Finally the deer just tipped over. When we skinned it, 4 of his 5 shots had gone through the lungs and there wasn't anything from the diaphragm forward that wouldn't pass through a window screen.
After hunting with the rifle for 5 seasons, he got tired of the meat damage and marginal performance and got a 308.
Granted this was not with today's premium bullets but my personal take is that if you want a coyote rifle that can take an occasional deer or are a very experienced hunter who can choose your shots, a 243 is OK but it would never be my first choice for a new hunter who may not wait for an ideal shot presentation or does not have the experience to recognize a hit and track down the animal.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
My experience is from several years ago when my brother had a 243. He was using cup and core bullets on blacktail which generally run 110-125lbs.
I was with him when we saw a buck at about 150-200 yards. He shot it and it showed no effect and began to run. He shot 4 more times without any effect. Finally the deer just tipped over. When we skinned it, 4 of his 5 shots had gone through the lungs and there wasn't anything from the diaphragm forward that wouldn't pass through a window screen.
After hunting with the rifle for 5 seasons, he got tired of the meat damage and marginal performance and got a 308.
Granted this was not with today's premium bullets but my personal take is that if you want a coyote rifle that can take an occasional deer or are a very experienced hunter who can choose your shots, a 243 is OK but it would never be my first choice for a new hunter who may not wait for an ideal shot presentation or does not have the experience to recognize a hit and track down the animal.

You say there wasn't anything left of that deer's vitals but call it marginal. Not trying to be an a$$,but how do you think a larger caliber would have helped stop that animal with shots in the same place?

Do you know of any other shots he made with the 243 that would have been more deadly with a larger caliber? That's what I'm really trying to find out. If a bullet was stopped by a shoulder socket or something along those lines where we can say with reasonable assurance that a larger caliber would have put the deer down.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I mean where you know for sure a larger caliber would have made a difference. Nope

I'm not talking about a deer never recovered so that exactly what went wrong isn't known for sure. I mean one that had a good shot on it that didn't anchor it quickly. Something that required a lot of tracking or a follow up shot where you could see that a larger caliber would have been better. Nope

I bought .243's for wife and kids a long time ago in the 70's and 80's. I had used a 6MM a couple of times before that. We haven't had any poor performance issues. The 7mm-08 wasn't commonly available then.

Were I planning to use it only on deer starting today, I would likely get a 7mm-08 and handload for reduced recoil.

Reading gun books had me yearning for a .260 or 7mm-08. I seem to have outgrown that. I just bought an all matching Swede carbine in 6.5x55 though. I had a 7x57 before that but gave it away.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In regards to the recoil issue, this past season I helped a female friend of mine get her first deer. She tasked me with finding her a rifle before the season started. She had shot a friend's 270 and didn't like the recoil so I found her a 243. She shot it a few times before the season and loved it because it didn't kick. When the deer came out and wouldn't get closer than 200yds I was glad she was concentrating on the shot and not worrying about the recoil that was coming. She made a perfect shot right behind the shoulder. The deer ran about 30 yds and collapsed. This was with Win PPs.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Yes, when judged against larger calibers, I have found the .243 lacking, especially when used on game at ranges over 200 yards.. But it has given less than fine performance on some closer shots.. At other times it has been fine..
When there is a poor blood trail, or animals remain mobile longer than they would when hit with a larger caliber, I call it marginal performance..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I suggest trying the 95 grain Ballistic Tip. The 4350's work very well under it, as does 4064. The latter tops out about five or six grains lower in charge weight, lessening muzzle blast while still giving good velocity and accuracy. I've found new shooters do better with less blast, even when recoil isn't an issue.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You say there wasn't anything left of that deer's vitals but call it marginal. Not trying to be an a$$,but how do you think a larger caliber would have helped stop that animal with shots in the same place?

Do you know of any other shots he made with the 243 that would have been more deadly with a larger caliber? That's what I'm really trying to find out. If a bullet was stopped by a shoulder socket or something along those lines where we can say with reasonable assurance that a larger caliber would have put the deer down.

My point is that the bullets wizzed through the animal with no discernible effect and if he had been in an area where we couldn't keep an eye on him, we might have assumed that he had been missed. I have seen LOTS of deer shot and IME a larger frontal area at moderate velocity is much more likely to have a more dramatic impact on an animal. The deer that I have seen shot that didn't know they were ever hit were with the smaller faster calibers. Inside of 100 yards a 30-30 or similar is much more forgiving of bullet placement. I'm just saying IMHO there are better choices for a novice hunter. I started my wife on a 308 Kimber and she has no reason to look for anything else.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Blacktailer
I appreciate the input. Was your wife's Kimber a Montana? Did you load the 308 down for her? The 308 loaded way down has been a consideration for me as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started my wife on a 7mm-08 Remington and I shouldve started myself on one too. Ego kept me with the 30-06 way too long. The 7mm-08 is everything I could need in a cartridge and its pleasant enough that I wouldn't need anything with less recoil.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Lets see. You have 223, , 270, 7 mag.

What's missing in between? 243. It's great for coyotes to 400 yards, deer, antelope, fun to shoot for women, kids, and old men.

As time goes on it more often becomes my go to gun. I would not hesitate to use it on elk with the right bullet unless I planned on possibly shooting a long way or was after big bulls in heavy timber.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I wont hunt deer with nothin less than a 338 win mag

Hey!! Your going the wrongway.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by eyeball

What's missing in between? 243. It's great for coyotes to 400 yards, deer, antelope, fun to shoot for women, kids, and old men.

As time goes on it more often becomes my go to gun. I would not hesitate to use it on elk with the right bullet unless I planned on possibly shooting a long way or was after big bulls in heavy timber.

I actually have a 243, just never killed anything with it. I only hunt it on sunny days. It's one reason 243 makes sense for me. Any ammo or components would serve double duty.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blacktailer
I appreciate the input. Was your wife's Kimber a Montana? Did you load the 308 down for her? The 308 loaded way down has been a consideration for me as well.

She has a Super America. I stated her off with 110 and 130gr HP at minimum loads. After she got used to those I worked the charges and bullet weights up until she was shooting mid power 165's which she used to take a zebra. We just got back from Argentina where she took a blackbuck with 150TTSX's running at about 2800fps.
The gun fits her and has a good pad which I feel is at least as important as the amount of recoil.

Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never found it lacking and generally those that do have little experience with it and base their views on misplaced shots or incorrect bullets used. Load up a 95 gr BT or 85 TSX and shoot stuff in the right spot. You'll end up with lots of dead stuff with little fuss. IMHO

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by eyeball

I actually have a 243, just never killed anything with it. I only hunt it on sunny days. It's one reason 243 makes sense for me. Any ammo or components would serve double duty.
[Linked Image]

You could sell me that and have cash toward a new one.

I think it would be a sin to not kill stuff with that gun.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have never shot a deer that a .243 would not have been just peaches for. It's a great deer caliber. Personally, I would shoot a bullet that opened up generously ... like a Berger smile

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Had a number of 243s over the years, I have found them to be excellent rifles for everything from ground hogs to deer. Granted my sample of 3 deer with a 243 is pretty small but I can tell you that all three got dead pretty damn quick. Shots ranged from 15 to 200 yards using 100 gr. c&c bullets.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kinda wanting to plug something with my new old Savage. It's bear season right now too... grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A great cartridge with less recoil than an 08. I know a couple folks that use them on elk, but they are careful with shot placement. A 243 slug will break down a deer with ease.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought my daughter a youth Winchester ranger in .243 for deer reason a few years ago.
We grunt called a young buck in and she shot it at 65 yards max.
The deer bounded away unfazed, I was shocked. Her rest and shot looked perfect. We looked for that deer for a full day and only did find him after the coyotes gave his downed location away after he was too late to salvage. He had gone quite aways into high grass.

I'd never endorse the .243 for deer after that experience. An '06 or .270 would have done him in with ease. That .243 was quickly sold in favor or a larger more sufficient caliber. And she's lost no more deer.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I do think the 243 is a tad small, that's why I hunt with a 250 Savage. That was a joke. My hunting buddy has a 243 that he used to swear by. I used it one year and made a neck shot on a little 85 pound spike buck at 187 paces. I was impressed, but until that shot, most of my kills were under 100 yards with a 35 Rem 336. Then I got my 250, it's a 1950 99R. Low and behold, the 99 could do anything his bolt gun could. It is a very accurate rifle. One of my buddy's old sayings is "small target, small pattern". I've taken that to heart. I shot my 220 pound wild boar behind the ear. The next year I shot a 150 pounder in the left eye. A while back someone on the Savage forum posted a pic of a really nice buck with a little hole behind the eye. If you shoot them behind the ear or in the eye you don't waist any meat. I'm not saying all shots can be in the ear or eye. Both deer I shot this year were behind the shoulder. But, I think a lot of folks would find that if they are patient and aim at a distinct small point, they would find they are better shots than they think they are. I've only lost one deer to my 250. The bullet went though a small maple tree and hit him on the base of his right antler, knocking it of. Maybe a bigger bullet would have knocked him down? Or, would have deflected differently and missed all together. I don't feel any need for more firepower. I have 3 06's, but intend on using my 250 for all of my pig and deer hunting. As I get older, I get less excited. I find the challenge to make a good shot as much a part of the hunt as spotting and taking the game, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It always boils down to placement, bullet design, and impact speed. After shooting deer with various .22, .24, and .25 caliber rifles, I find that I want a sturdy bullet. It makes all the difference in those scenarios when a smaller caliber might otherwise be "not enough gun", such as a hard-angling shot. The mono bullets seem to be great when you catch a shoulder, but the Partition is also a great game bullet in the .24-.25cal guns. It's tough on lungs also. Has never let me down.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks. Yes, only deer and pigs. I'm not a trophy hunter, so more likely a 70 lb. doe than a 200 lb. buck. Even if I targeted something larger I have other larger caliber rifles. I just want this under 6 lb. all up rifle to be shootable for the whole family but have plenty of confidence that it is enough for deer and hogs. The hogs would be few and far between and I don't hunt varmints except when a coyote of opportunity presents itself.

243 all the way.

I have a Montana in 243 and recoil is almost non-existent. The rifle is also obviously light and easy to handle, your wife and kids should love it.

Little snort when it goes off but I imagine earplugs are a given for the kids.

Sample of one deer so far, mature mule deer buck, 90 grain 'target' bullet, 190 yards.

Buck dropped at the shot, no exit but one very dead deer.

I would just load up a little tougher 'hunting' bullet and not worry about anything.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by broomd
I bought my daughter a youth Winchester ranger in .243 for deer reason a few years ago.
The deer bounded away unfazed, I was shocked. Her rest and shot looked perfect. We looked for that deer for a full day and only did find him after the coyotes gave his downed location away after he was too late to salvage. He had gone quite aways into high grass.

I'd never endorse the .243 for deer after that experience. An '06 or .270 would have done him in with ease. That .243 was quickly sold in favor or a larger more sufficient caliber. And she's lost no more deer.

what bullet did you use?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntingnut
I've never found it lacking and generally those that do have little experience with it and base their views on misplaced shots or incorrect bullets used. Load up a 95 gr BT or 85 TSX and shoot stuff in the right spot. You'll end up with lots of dead stuff with little fuss. IMHO

by far the best post on this thread.

I hunt almost exclusively with my .243 and 95 grain NBT's over RL-22. If I ever have a moose tag, I would probably go with something bigger like my .280 AI.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by southtexas

what bullet did you use?

And where was he hit?

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by mathman

what bullet did you use?

And where was he hit?

I would really like to know also. If he was hit in the vitals and not anchored then that's a good reason to shoot a larger caliber. If not, then it really doesn't matter.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The thing is, I know of deer (shot by my father) that had their chest cavity contents pureed, with the results pouring out of the holes, that were still able to run a good distance. Think 130 grain Ballistic Tips in full throttle handloads out of a 26" barrel 270 Win., and 139 grain Hornadys out of a 7mm Wby. magnum.

Vital hits, no matter how hard, don't necessarily anchor them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's interesting that the folks who defend the 243 for deer are by and large experienced hunters who are patient and willing to pick their shots. If the OP had been "Can the 243 kill deer" the answer from almost everyone would be a resounding "Yes!"
However that was not the question. The question before the group is "Is the 243 a good pick for a novice hunter?" Those are quite different questions. When a novice hunter is excited and impatient, they need all of the margin for error possible as regards to shot placement and presentation.
With today's selection of premium bullets there is no doubt that calibers previously inadequate for certain game are now suitable and that shot placement trumps energy every time so the real question boils down to "What is the cartridge with the most terminal energy that the particular novice hunter can shoot accurately?" If that is a 223 then they had better learn patience and shot placement quickly. A 243 gives a little more wiggle room as does a 257, 6.5, 7mm, 308 or more.
Sorry for the hijack.

Jack O'Connor
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have not killed deer with a 243. But growing up a lot of folks had the 243 as their one deer rifle battery in farm country. So it must have worked or they were willing to track deer for a few yards.

Wanted to mention I bought a 308 for my son and have not gotten him to shoot it yet. He is going on 11 years old and after thinking it over I wish I had gotten him a 243. Here is why. I went to the range a couple weeks ago with my 270 and 243. The 243 is a LH CDL rifle and it has been a long time since I had one. At the range I realize the 270 is a lot more recoil than the 243 and the 243 was a pleasure to shoot. I was shooting 95 NBT and I realized I should have gotten my son one of these so he can practice shooting a lot more and become proficient with it. I am not sure how the download 308 will shoot but will have to try that out.

As we all know the 243 will kill deer no question as it has been used for a long time in this aspect. We guys who have multiple rifles may not favor this when we have a larger caliber to take care of the iffy shots. But for your purposes your wife and kids can become better shooters with a pleasant rifle. And remember if a 243 is not much recoil to YOU it may be on the top end for a lighter person like your wife and kids. So this would ideally be good practice for them to get ample trigger time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
. If the OP had been "Can the 243 kill deer" the answer from almost everyone would be a resounding "Yes!"
However that was not the question. The question before the group is "Is the 243 a good pick for a novice hunter?" .

Well, dang. I would have sworn the question was:

"Anyone ever found the 243 lacking? I mean where you know for sure a larger caliber would have made a difference."

What was the title of the thread again?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
. If the OP had been "Can the 243 kill deer" the answer from almost everyone would be a resounding "Yes!"
However that was not the question. The question before the group is "Is the 243 a good pick for a novice hunter?" .

"Anyone ever found the 243 lacking? I mean where you know for sure a larger caliber would have made a difference."

And I stand by my answer. Yes.

Jack O'Connor
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I think at least some of the criticsim of the 243 comes from bullet choice. I have a friend in Bozeman that uses the 243, as does his daughter. We tried counting how many deer and antlope they have taken over the years with the 243, and ran out of patience at 100 or so animals, with never a problem. Every one of those animals were taken with the 100 grain hornady bullet.
I have used the 85 grain Speer bullet to take one very large mule deer buck, and was not impressed at all with the results- As someone has said here, "bullets matter more than headstamps".

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Blacktailer. +1..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just picked up a .243 and plan on carrying it this fall. My brother has hunted with a 6mm (previously known as the .244) and has never lost a single deer with it. Not one. I do think it's safe to say that when you go to a smaller round, shot placement becomes more critical. Hopefully, I'll have a success story to talk about later this year.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

And I wasn't questioning your answer.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

And I wasn't questioning your answer.

Yes, that was the question and I do appreciate anyone's input but I really wanted to hear from anyone who knew for sure that a larger caliber would have killed quicker. A deer that had to be shot again because a 243 bullet failed to penetrate a shoulder joint would be a prime example. Deer that went farther than we think they should with vitals destroyed , or deer shot and never recovered or never examined to know what happened really don't tell us anything.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Like I said I have owned several, probably a dozen over the years (chronic trader) and all shot from very good to excellent. I have also found them easy to load for, not finicky at all.

Oh and Mr Clark that is a beautiful sako.

Last edited by bangeye; 04/05/14.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by bangeye
Like I said I have owned several, probably a dozen over the years (chronic trader) and all shot from very good to excellent. I have also found them easy to load for, not finicky at all.

Thank you sir. It's the nicest rifle I have ever owned. I got it from a friend who inherited it from a guy who bought it new in Germany. The serial number dates 1969 as near as I can tell. My friend told me as far as he knew it had never been fired. I have shot it and hunted it but I baby it too much. It's just too pretty to sit in the rain and drag through heavy brush and briars. The last time I had Kimber Montana money, it popped up and I couldn't resist. That's why I'm back for the Montana now. I need one I can treat rougher. Well, not really, I guess I want a lot more than I need.
Here's one more of the Sako
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If a 243 bullet failed to penetrate the shoulder joint, it would be the fault of the bullet, not the cartridge.

Choosing the right bullet is more critical with the 243 than with, say, a 30/06, but there are plenty of good 243 deer bullets.

IMO, most of the "problems" blamed on the 243 are really the result of using the wrong bullet for the job at hand..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For what you are after the 243 sounds perfect.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I shoot a 243 for work every day. Several hundred coyotes, a couple dozen wolves,several black bears, many deer including 2 bucks over 170, one over 400yds. three elk. I don't list these to blow my own horn, only to point out the guns extreme effectiveness. I'm shooting 85 grain sierra hpbt game kings. Rarely have needed follow up shots. It works every time its tried. If you get one you will not regret it.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by atse
I shoot a 243 for work every day. Several hundred coyotes, a couple dozen wolves,several black bears, many deer including 2 bucks over 170, one over 400yds. three elk. I don't list these to blow my own horn, only to point out the guns extreme effectiveness. I'm shooting 85 grain sierra hpbt game kings. Rarely have needed follow up shots. It works every time its tried. If you get one you will not regret it.

I agree.

It would sure be nice to know where you hunt and some pics and hoe you've come to take so many wolves.

Last edited by eyeball; 04/05/14.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It's interesting that the folks who defend the 243 for deer are by and large experienced hunters who are patient and willing to pick their shots. If the OP had been "Can the 243 kill deer" the answer from almost everyone would be a resounding "Yes!"
However that was not the question. The question before the group is "Is the 243 a good pick for a novice hunter?" Those are quite different questions. When a novice hunter is excited and impatient, they need all of the margin for error possible as regards to shot placement and presentation.
With today's selection of premium bullets there is no doubt that calibers previously inadequate for certain game are now suitable and that shot placement trumps energy every time so the real question boils down to "What is the cartridge with the most terminal energy that the particular novice hunter can shoot accurately?" If that is a 223 then they had better learn patience and shot placement quickly. A 243 gives a little more wiggle room as does a 257, 6.5, 7mm, 308 or more.
Sorry for the hijack.

With today's premium bullets like a 60 gr NP or Interlock a 22-250 is not lacking.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by bangeye

Thank you sir. It's the nicest rifle I have ever owned. I got it from a friend who inherited it from a guy who bought it new in Germany. The serial number dates 1969 as near as I can tell. My friend told me as far as he knew it had never been fired. I have shot it and hunted it but I baby it too much. It's just too pretty to sit in the rain and drag through heavy brush and briars. The last time I had Kimber Montana money, it popped up and I couldn't resist. That's why I'm back for the Montana now. I need one I can treat rougher. Well, not really, I guess I want a lot more than I need.
Here's one more of the Sako
[Linked Image]

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. If you had a beautiful bride would she remain chaste?

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
RH, I look at the gouges in the grip of my 270 weatherby mag and remember being too exhausted on a back pack hunt with my brother ages ago where I killed my first big bull. I was too tired to keep the stock from hitting the external frame. You couldn't give me a new, mint xxx stock for that rifle. I will never have the opportunity to get those reminders again.

I look at the dent in the beautiful and once perfect stock of my A5 20 ga FTW Browning and remember now, with tears in my eyes, being tired and falling as I neared the truck with a couple of blue quail pointed by my soon to be gone, best bird dog and loving Jules on a wonderful hunt years ago in the desert of New Mexico with only my son and her. The damage at the time aggravated me. Now that dent is visible proof i had one of the best days on this earth anyone has ever lived.

Many years from now, while she's mouldering in her grave, that dent will always remind me of hunting with her and the blessing she was and that God gave.

Last edited by eyeball; 04/05/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought both my girls Savage Youth package rifles. The theory being that at about $430 per copy, not much investment if they decided not to continue hunting.

I would have preferred a 260, but these rifles only came in 243. IMO, not the best deer rifle, but a good COMBO coyote/deer rifle.

Both girls started hunting at age 12 (minimum legal age in Alberta). They blow me away how well they shoot, especially as they are right handed, but left eye dominant. They both CHOSE to shoot right handed, which means that they have to overcome the left eye dominance. At that the range, a little tape on the left lens of their shooting glasses works wonders. In the field they usually don't have a problem, but closing the left eye works.

We have only used 85gr TSX Federal Premium (I have not gotten around to reloading). Over the last 5 years they have taken 9 deer, both mule deer and whitetail.

Here are the results:
2009: WT buck. 200yd high shoulder shot dropped buck in his tracks. Deer was still thrashing around a little, so I had her shoot it through the spine right behind the shoulder (back was facing us. she didn't want to get closer).
2010: WT buck. Neck shot at about 60 yards as the buck looked back over his shoulder at us. Youngest girl refused the Texas Heart shot (my theory was that if the pelvis was broken, the buck was going no wheres. She advised that that was not a good shot and refused to take it. Good girl!)
2010: WT doe. The does with the buck did not run off too far. Older girl got up on the fence post and dropped a doe with a neck shot at about 250-300. (I was watching one much closer and luckily saw the doe she shot at drop in my binocular field of view. I asked why did you shoot one so far away? It had the best shot presentation and no other deer around.)
2010: MD buck. He was hit around the margins. Not sure how he died actually, but my 300WSM had the same effect (she got rattled when he didn't die on the first shot. Missed or shot legs until the gun ran dry. So Dad had to finish it.) Bottom line, he died.
2011: WT buck. About 330 right at dark. At the shot I was very confident that the buck was going to keel over, but as it continued to run, too late I realized it was going to make it into the timber. As it was getting dark, we tried to followup immediately, but kept bumping it without a shot opportunity. We gave up and found it dead the next morning. Unfortunately the coyotes had been feeding on it. (No meat was edible, very rank.) Shot was a little low. I underestimated the range in the low light.
2012: Both girls had MD does at 300 cross canyon. For what ever reason, they had problems hitting these deer. They finally got one. I have no idea what the problem was. They can make that shot. We checked very carefully, but there was no evidence that the other doe was hit. Later in the day, the other girl shot a broadside doe at about 250. Perfect lung shot. Doe ran about 150yds before dying. There was no good spot for it to die. Both retrieves were very strenuous!
2013: MD doe. Head shot at about 40yds. DRT obviously. MD doe at about 130yds. Broadside lung shot. Ran about 120yds before dying further downslope in think timber.

So what have I learned? They need more practice? Probably. No deer shot at and hit have escaped. Some drop in their tracks shots. Some where they are dead and still run 150yds. With my bum leg, it makes the retrieves very difficult in this canyon country we hunt.

What to do? try the 80gr TTSX, 85gr Sierra BTHP, Nosler 95gr BT?

Bigger caliber?

I guess, that the results aren't much different than what I have seen with the 25-06, 270, 30-06, 280, 300WSM. Shoot two deer the same, one drops at the shot, the other goes on a death run.

I still have a little prejudice against the 243. I would never use a 243 on an elk at 680yds. For one thing, they probably could have gotten closer and/or used a heavier caliber and a heavier bullet. Yet that elk dropped at the shot? Go figure.

I'm torn between trying other bullets, buying them 308s and keeping the 243s for coyotes, or now that they are 5'7" and 120 or 130lbs, selling the 243s and getting them 260s as a do everything caliber. They do like the recoil of the 243. In their wisdom, Savage just put a plastic plate on the youth stock. I think for adult length, I just need to ad a 1" pad. Recoil would be even less.

Mr Clark, for what you posted, get the 243. I think you will be happy.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by AB2506; 04/06/14.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks for the pictures and stories. Around here 100 yards is a long shot unless you get out of the timber on a power line and the lighter 243 would be used mostly on shots much shorter that some of yours. That's why I think the TTSX at high velocity will do very well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone
The only thing I found it lacks is recoil. Otherwise it works great for my needs.

Exactly my experience as well.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
.243 win/TTSX with proper shot placement=dead critters. Never had any trouble with mine but no matter if I have my .223 or my .308 I always look for proper shot placement.

If I had to pear it down to one rifle for the family to shoot it would be the .243 Winchester.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No flies on todays ammo for a 243, unlike when I was "given" a cherry SAKO Forester 579 pre Garcia in 1967 as a wedding present. I had to pay my grandad what he'd loaned a guy on the gun and had had to repo it..a $160 w/a Redfield 3x9 & 5 box's of reloads. Shot it for years, hyper accurate & as said no recoil like my other rifles. I learned to shoot it well enough that I could write my initials on a business card, and won lots of $5 bets doing it...but in the Hornady & Speer bullets of the days I lost more well hit deer with that one rifle than all the deer in all my guns ever since.

Fast forward to 2006...Had major surgery to remove a monster 22 oz non malignant tumor stretching from behind my right ear to my collar bone. Right upper Quadrant, shoulder blade and right arm were nothing but a decoration for wearing a shirt and 95% inoperative, PT doc sez fuggeddabout it I was done... nothing to do but get used to it.

Rehab of 18 months was a bitch but 80-85% successful...but a buddy got me to buy a Tikka T3 6.5x55 and start again. No recoil...not none, easy to load for and killed WTails like the Hammmer of Thor. 1st WTail 125lb doe DRT'd mid stride and folded over in half backwards like a busted bagpipe. Can't say enough about the Tikka Swede being boringly Hyper Accurate but I got cute and traded it off after I had moved on back to my bigger stuff.

2009 ...heart problems, a handful of stents & a lifetime scrip for Plavix later...and back to the Swede when my T3 270 everyday shooter bruised me black & blue from my rotator cuff to my ear & right eyebrow. But I could shoot the Swede in a TShirt with no bruises and the factory pad, unlike the Limbsaver that is still on the 270.

No fly's on the 243 I know I know I keep hearing it with todays ammo...but I KNOW there are better choices in the 6.5's with those same kind of New Generation Boolitz in bigger heavier stronger yadda yadda ...just go look at the Creedmore, 260 and of course the 6.5 x 55 that were in stock at Eurooptics in March...

Got a 260 On Hand ... I've BHDThis before & Will Never be without one again. 'Cause if/when I finally "win" a Triple B as was offered & promised I'd need when I got the 4 mesh BandAids last time on the table...I'll not have to chase all over to find 'nuther 6.5 Hammer again.
Just Sayin'
Ron

Last edited by verhoositz; 04/06/14.

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
A friend of mine in PA recently picked up a used Remington 40X in 243 and is all excited about going after woodchucks this summer with it. He hunts from a tree house on his property for
deer and plans on using it this fall also.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
My son shot a big doe with a .243. I was surprised it only went 50' with a very forward shoulder shot. I shot lots of deer with a.270 Win that went over 100 yds. from lung shots. I hd a nubby go 130 yds . The guts and stomach were dragging and it was still running. I like lung shots, they always die and bleed out. Shoulder shots leave lots of blood in the meat and I don't like that.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ihookem
My son shot a big doe with a .243. I was surprised it only went 50' with a very forward shoulder shot. I shot lots of deer with a.270 Win that went over 100 yds. from lung shots. I hd a nubby go 130 yds . The guts and stomach were dragging and it was still running. I like lung shots, they always die and bleed out. Shoulder shots leave lots of blood in the meat and I don't like that.

Barnes TSX bullets do not leave much bloodshot meat on shoulder shots in comparison to some other bullets, including the Partition. I only have a limited sample size though. It's hard to stop shooting them in lungs after 30 years of practice. I have to retrain myself.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well, everyone I really appreciate all the input. It will be very useful because I still have the 243 Sako. I ran up on a local Montana in 7mm-08 today and bought it. True Value just got it in. I told my wife I was thinking about putting it on layaway and she said let's just go buy it since I was going to try to find you one next month for your birthday anyway. I just couldn't turn it down since it is the only one I've seen locally in several years.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by wrongway
I wont hunt deer with nothin less than a 338 win mag

I don't doubt it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yep, preferably using my 375 ultramag

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't doubt that either.

Except the part about you not owning one......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I own several, ill take a stroll here in a bit in my walk in safe to double check.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sure thing. While you're in there, snap a pic of one, with the chambering on the barrel visible. Then post it here. Otherwise, some of these other guys might get the idea you're BS-ing.

But not me, I believe you.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
PS, sorry for the hijack RH, but it looks like you got the info you needed.

And happy birthday, you dog.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by smokepole
Sure thing. While you're in there, snap a pic of one, with the chambering on the barrel visible. Then post it here. Otherwise, some of these other guys might get the idea you're BS-ing.

thanks for the advice, I think I like you.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
PS, sorry for the hijack RH, but it looks like you got the info you needed.

And happy birthday, you dog.

Thanks man. No problem. Y'all have fun.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 04/07/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on a fine purchase and a great birthday present.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the purchase price?

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by AB2506
Congrats on a fine purchase and a great birthday present.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the purchase price?

$1299. About $100 more than some on line but no risk and it was there.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I

Barnes TSX bullets do not leave much bloodshot meat on shoulder shots in comparison to some other bullets, including the Partition. I only have a limited sample size though. It's hard to stop shooting them in lungs after 30 years of practice. I have to retrain myself.

I have heard that many times about the TSX. Even looked at the TSX at Cabelas today but they are 31 bucks for a 50 pack. . One thing about the .243 Win and deer, Some of the northern deer are huge but so many here still put them down with the .243 Win. I started hunting with the .243 Win this fall. I just can't but help feeliong under gunned if a big tough old 5 plus buck shows up.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

I have heard that many times about the TSX. Even looked at the TSX at Cabelas today but they are 31 bucks for a 50 pack. . One thing about the .243 Win and deer, Some of the northern deer are huge but so many here still put them down with the .243 Win. I started hunting with the .243 Win this fall. I just can't but help feeliong under gunned if a big tough old 5 plus buck shows up.

I wouldn't be afraid to shoot any size deer with a 243 and good bullets. All bullets are better than they were years ago. Even a Federal Fusion would do the job no doubt.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have both a 243 and a 6MM Remington presently. I have experienced no difference in killing power between these rifles and my 30-06 on deer. Feral hogs are a bit tougher to kill but I take neck, head and spine shots on them and they drop.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I believe him too. wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I wouldn't be afraid to shoot any size deer with a 243 and good bullets. All bullets are better than they were years ago. Even a Federal Fusion would do the job no doubt.

We have been doing, exactly, this for the last 9 years. Have used 100gr Federal blue box, 95gr Federal Fusion, 95gr SST, 85gr TSX & 80gr TTSX. With any of these, patience & proper placement = dead deer. Friend of ours, who hunts with us, started using his .243 & Win PP this season & also took a nice buck & a doe.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Hey, congrats on the new rifle! It should serve well. I enjoy hunting with the light-kicking rifles. A husband/wife team I've hunted with use a .280 and a 7mm-08, both handloaded with the 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. They've got quite an impressive string of one-shot/DRT kills on mule deer, pronghorn, whitetail & wild hogs. The 7mm-08 was absolutely not a problem for her to master, even as a novice hunter & shooter.

Dad gave me a 6mm Rem (pretty much the same ballistics as the .243) about 40 years ago. My youngest son uses that rifle now. Mostly it's been a varmint rifle, but it's taken mule deer cleanly & quickly to nearly 300 yards, as well as whitetail at more modest ranges. Big fan of the 95 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. That is one mighty accurate, fast-killing bullet!

My son shot kind of a goofy looking buck last season, using the 95 gr B-Tip again. He was moving to the blind when he saw it facing him, dropped to a knee and put the Nosler right in that buck's chest. Instant drop & death! I asked him why that buck, and he replied "Dad, it just looked delicious!" grin I couldn't argue.

Guess the point is that there are a zillion cartridges avail that all kill deer very well, and nothing is lost by selecting a cartridge that kills well, shoots well, and doesn't beat up the shooter. Enjoy your new rifle!

Regards, Guy

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R_H_Clark,

When you start loading for that Montana, try to find a copy of the 2009 Hodgdon manual. There's a good article on reduced loads for beginners featuring TSXs and that includes recoil numbers. Should help.

The other thing I would suggest is that you teach them to shoot their deer in the lower third of the chest. Deer hit higher than that tend to, in my experience go farther and leave less blood sign. Hunting from tree stands or other elevations compounds the problem, sometimes giving a one-lung hit or even a no-lung hit. Been through that with both my sons.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the moral of the story is that if you use quality bullets the .243 works just fine. Folks using Wal Mart bullets are crippling the cartridge though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
MMike,

What are the Wal Mart bullets you re referring to ?

Up here, Wal Mart sells the same, basic, ammunition as everybody else.

Federal Blue box, Remington Corelokts, Winchester power points, etc, etc.

All of these can, & do, kill our, large bodied, Canadian Whitetails.

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We've had this discussion before, but........

Folks making bad shot/placement choices, & blaming the tool (projectile & caliber), are filling the internet with opinions, based on their poor experience.

IMHO, it is these "false or uneducated" opinions that are crippling this cartridge.

Now I say uneducated, not because they are dumb, but because they are not willing to admit their part in the failure & to learn from the bad experience, thus being educated moving forward into their next, possibly remarkable experience.

YMMV.

Paul.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What I have found, in my case, is that better attention needs to be paid to the projectile.

I typically hunt heavy cover, so impact velocity will be high. And, I like an exit. Those two parameters mean that a typical C&C usually "fails" in that I don't get an exit...but I do get a dead deer.

I simply have moved to a bullet that is more able to withstand the higher impact speed. And, the furthest I may get to shoot at a deer is about 300 yards.

The longest, so far, where I hunt has been 250 yards and was done with a .243, boom-plop. More typical is 40 of so yards.

Bullets I have tried so far are the Hornady 100 grain flatbase Spirepoint, Sierra 100 grain Pro-Hunter, Barnes 85 grain TSX, and the Barnes 80 grain TTSX. I have some 95 grain Partitions, but haven't shot enough yet to come to any kind of a conclusion.

The Hornady--Very accurate, but no full penetration at short range.
The Sierra--Not quite as accurate at the Hornady, on average, but close. Still, no two-holers at close range.
The TSX--Two holes all the time, kills are not quite as dramatic, but dead nonetheless. Decent accuracy.
The TTSX--No game harvested yet, but as accurate at the Hornady. This bullet put the Partition testing on a temporary hold. I will get around to it, but I'm liking the TTSX and have to wait until November to field test.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Vic
I would love to hear of any results you get with the 80 grn. TTSX. I bought some for my Sako 243.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll be sure and let you know come November. Looking at where you're from, you'll probably be able to tell me first. (grin)

Hearing from the guys that have used both, it should expand a little more abruptly, and possibly have a slightly heavier blood trail. All this AND two holes.

They are noticeably more accurate than the TSXs in my rifle, not that the TSXs weren't shooting *good*, it's just that the TTSXs shoot *damn good*.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't read the whole thread. Short answer - no. I've never shot a deer with a .243 Win that I wished I had shot with a larger or more powerful caliber or cartridge. Bullet selection (Partition, 95 gr. BT, TSX) then Placement placement placement.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Lot of opinions/experiences on the 243 in this thread. I always find it amusing when folks think that a 243 is marginal or lacking for that matter when used on deer sized game. No you don't have to be an experienced or professional shooter to take deer with a 243. That is just silly. Just shoot the damn things in the front half with a bullet appropriate for the job. Deer ain't hard to kill boys.

If you must take shots at game up the arse then perhaps a larger offering is for you.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Seems some deer are real hard to kill, or at least they run off 100 yds in 5 seconds in low light in brush so thick ya can't see 50 ft. Iv'e seen big deer run 100 yds. with my gay .270 Win.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you must take shots at game up the arse then perhaps a larger offering is for you.

I was under the impression that was pretty much a bear-hunting tactic.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That's a product of shot placement rather than head stamp. If conditions dictate a bang flop then perhaps a CNS shot is in order.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have shot deer with a 243 wssm and 85 grain xlc bullets, 2 deer dead, just as dead as with any other caliber I own. I shot one on the run at 100 yards, bullet went threw the spine, and shoulders, then exited. I was very impressed to say the least, my 300 win mag would have had the same results.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've killed dozens of deer with a .243 over 50+ years of hunting and never found it lacking and never lost a deer. I also hunt with a .260 Rem which, like the .243 and 7mm-08, is based on the .308 case and which has a little more recoil than the .243 but generally less than the 7mm-08. If recoil is a concern, I'd go .243 without hesitation. Both the .260 and 7mm-08 have been available before the ammo crunch in managed recoil loads which would work well for you, but I haven't seen those loads available for months.

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Anybody who thinks caliber trumps placement needs to spend a deer season in a shotgun zone. Plenty of rodeos with a 73 caliber even at close range if you shoot them in the guts.
Bust a shoulder(preferably front)or spine if you need them down fast for sure.
Don't see why a 243 with a good bullet would have any problem doing that.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Palidun
I have both a 243 and a 6MM Remington presently. I have experienced no difference in killing power between these rifles and my 30-06 on deer. Feral hogs are a bit tougher to kill but I take neck, head and spine shots on them and they drop.

I alwyas am curious as to this thing about hogs being tough. I've killed more than a few truckloads over the years and find them no tougher than any deer, and often less tough. Done a lot of them with a 22 pistol while wondering around, over 100 with a bow, and lots with the 223 AR.

Sure the big ones can be somewhat tough, but last one I ran into was about 275, and was popped with a 7x62x39 in an AR at about 70 yards in the shield wiht 125 ballistic tip... made about 50 steps into the brush maybe.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rost. Just a guess, but maybe hogs are thought to be tougher because their vitals are further for ward than a deer's. So a behind the shoulder can hit the liver instead of the lungs, resulting in a different reaction.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have found that lung hits usually start them on a short blind run into the thickest cover they can find. 75 yards into the thorns actually doesn't mean they were harder to kill just harder to recover.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think a lot of this is due to the DRT/bangflop bullshit that exists in todays readily available "cyberspace".

Don't get me wrong, it can be done quite easily, but I'm not a CNS shooter. Strictly heart & lungs for us meat hunters.

A deer hit in the heart / lung area, without breaking at least one shoulder, is always going to run. Sometimes 10 yards, sometimes a 100 + yards, no matter what caliber you are shooting. This can, however, be "somewhat" minimized by the type of projectile used.

Last edited by New_2_99s; 04/14/14. Reason: additions

Paul.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would go 243 all the way. I have never felt like the 243 left anything on the table. My first elk was killed with a 243, and I couldn't even guess how many deer and antelope I've killed with one since then. I probably wouldn't take a 243 elk hunting, but I damn sure wouldn't pass up a shot at a bull just because I happen to be carrying a 243 at the time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JSH
Anybody who thinks caliber trumps placement needs to spend a deer season in a shotgun zone. Plenty of rodeos with a 73 caliber even at close range if you shoot them in the guts.
Bust a shoulder(preferably front)or spine if you need them down fast for sure.
Don't see why a 243 with a good bullet would have any problem doing that.

First deer I killed with a 12ga slug (foster type) I had to find the next day. Shot placement admittedly wasn't perfect but I certainly would have felt (at the time) that more blood would be on the ground and a 70lbs field dressed doe wouldn't have went that far.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The .243 is for kids, ladies and girlymen who can't stand the recoil of a real deer rifle.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Started my kids out with reduced 7-08 loads. Would do that again. FWIW IMHO BWDIK and I haven't posted enough pictures.

As said above somewhere, generally speaking, the small calibers are better off in the hands of experienced hunters. The prevailing tendency for them is to make smaller holes--smaller holes may sometimes have consequences...

But not so much that a load of anecdotal evidence won't dismiss

The more you kill, the better you get at it, so no chit, what a surprise--the old farts or rather the more experienced guys, having used the larger calibers figured out the smaller calibers work just as well. No doubt the corollary is just as true, generating geriatric mag enthusiasm.

No less than revelation, that.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunswizard
The .243 is for kids, ladies and girlymen who can't stand the recoil of a real deer rifle.

And they kill more than the macho fools who can't shoot because they flinch too badly

The only disadvantage I see to the 6mm's is often there is no exit wound, and therefore not much of a blood trail

Last edited by Snyper; 04/14/14.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.243AI (6mm Rem equivalent), 105gr C&C, ~85 yards, deer slightly quartering away, bullet hit just behind near shoulder. Looked like somebody dumped a bucket of blood along the path into the bush.

[Linked Image]

For an all-around bullet- 80gr TTSX. In the SAAMI .243 I've killed a pile of deer with the 85 X/TSX, and I haven't been picky about shot placement. Over the years I've recovered a few bullets. All have been quartering or directly toward or away shots, all have broken at least a humerus or femur, or both, and recovered near the opposite hide. None of those deer went very far, and only in one direction.

Penetration has never been an issue, nor has expansion, terminal effect, or meat damage. Some deer run 100 yards, but that's the case with any cartridge when using lung shots. If you don't want them to run, shoot mid to high in the shoulder with a bullet that won't go to pieces from an impact like that.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wow, that left a mark!

Jordan, what powders do you use for the 85 TSX and how fast are you shooting those?

Thanks.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Dad and his buddies all used .243s, and they lost some deer, too. I used one a couple of years, with different bullets than they did (they used 80gr. coyote bullets, I used 100gr. PPs) and killed a couple, but I wasn't happy with the results, so I switched to the .270. Still using .270s 35years later.
It's not that they used .243s, or the wrong bullets, but that they didn't practice much, if any, EVER. A box of ammo would last them years.
I got into handloading and shot quite a bit, the .270s seemed to kill quicker, and with more definitive results. Logically, that SHOULD be the case, and so it has been, for me.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, that left a mark!

Jordan, what powders do you use for the 85 TSX and how fast are you shooting those?

Thanks.

I've had really good luck with IMR4350, and IMR4831 has been good, too. In the SAAMI .243 I get 3300 fps, and I get 3485 fps from the 80gr TTSX in the .243AI using 4350.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
This is a long thread so I skipped around a little. I have used both a .243 and .244 to kill deer. One shot I was caught cresting the top of a mountain and had a quick, off hand shot while breathing hard. I hit the deer high, but not through the spine. It still dropped the deer from a ruptured spine. I would call that a "Marginal shot" and had no problem. I dunno, we were killing deer with light rifles long before "Premium bull@#$%" came along. I heard the exact same thing about the .257 Roberts. If recoil is an issue, look around for a 6.5 sporterized Arisaka. They hit hard with 140 grain bullets, and almost no recoil.

K
K
Hi Guys, I am in New Zealand where there is plenty of all year hunting, and plenty of caliber variations to choose from. I am a hunter not a seller of firearms, and I own a large collection of hunting rifles. I used a BSA 243 when I was younger and loved it. 85 gr for open country and 110gr for bush shooting. There is always the potential to slip a shot between the ribs without hitting bone. Doesn't matter what caliber you have, they will run a short distance till they run out of puff. The recoil was un-noticed, but again what ever caliber you have if it fits properly you won't feel much at all. I now shoot with a 30-06 and depending on the size of the game determines where I place the shot. I once shot through a tree branch as thick as your arm and still hit a Red Stag between the eyes with the 30-06. I bought a 7mm08 for my daughter and she hunts with that quite happily, but she did get a bruise when sighting this in. For the wife and younger family I would recommend the 243 with the heavier load to help stop game. But, try different bullet weights before changing your firearm. Happy hunting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome to the 'fire!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I mean where you know for sure a larger caliber would have made a difference. I mean one that had a good shot on it that didn't anchor it quickly. Something that required a lot of tracking or a follow up shot where you could see that a larger caliber would have been better.

I am agonizing between the 243 and 7mm-08. I want a very light recoil since the kids and wife may use this rifle from time to time.

I appreciate any insight into my indecision. Shots would all be under 200 yards.

I'll start off with this, I have a Sako 243 for the purpose of mixed use varmint/deer. In addition, I've killed deer and wild boar with homemade selfbows loosing fixed blade broadheads on wooden shafts. So, I know from first hand experience that deer and boar can be cleanly killed with low recoiling rifles and simple stickbows.

Flip side of coin, I managed kill permits for about a decade when I had quite a bit of trigger time culling deer each year with various weapons to include selfbows, handguns, muzzleloaders, and a number of centerfire rifles. During that time, I made use of most everything from each deer killed. I preferred taking shots through both lungs above the heart while saving the heart for table fare. Of everything I experienced, one stood out for giving me the longest string of highly effective 1-shot kills while maintaining maximum meat yield and keeping the heart intact. That was my bear rifle I had built chambered 375H&H shooting bear loads. It started out I was vetting the rifle getting some trigger time in preparation for bear hunts, but it turned out that this particular chambering proved most reliable for culling deer. If I didn't care about saving rib meat and the heart, there were a number of combinations that would drop deer lightning fast, but the chest cavity would be jellyfied with much bloodshot meat. This was not the case with my bear rifle shooting full loads.

Going back to your question and my 2cents worth of insight:

Yes, there is a difference in terminal performance and total meat yield between certain larger chamberings and something along the lines of a 243 or 7-08, when speaking in terms of shooting through the chest cavity. But, in reality, as good of an experience I had with my bear rifle, it is obnoxious in recoil and added weight for day in and day out carry when the biggest thing you'd shoot would be a whitetail or boar under 300 pounds. I haven't hunted big bears in a number of year and have since retired that particular rifle. I mostly hunt foothills and the mountains, so I generally appreciate trim light non-magnum rifles using a 308 or 30-06 length receiver. Many areas I varmint hunt also present shots on deer which have a legal minimum caliber restriction of .23 or larger. Therefore, I favor the 243 being it is a popular chambering with supplies easily found, it is highly effective on various varmint, and it performs exceedingly well for double duty on whitetail. Within reasonable shot presentations, there should not be great difficulty finding 243 loads to effectively take deer without wanton meat loss.

Why I maintain my 243 vs maintain a 7-08? I personally find the 243 a better choice for varmint, and I don't find the 7-08 to give me enough advantage on deer to give up the 243 on the varmint end. Recoil for either of these are no issue in my case, but if in your case recoil is a factor, when compared to each other, you'd see something close to a 50% increase in recoil going up from a 243 to a 7-08.

In the end, such a choice is yours to make, not mine. Kinda' like boots and backpacks, what works for me may not work for you.

Good Luck with your choice. Selecting a new hunting rifle should be something you find enjoyable, not something you find agonizing. smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've found the 6mm variety lacking many times over the years. Mostly on whitetail, but once on a nice mulie as well. I still use the cal and will continue to do so, but I never expect the results of larger cals while using them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've found the 7RM to be far more than needed on deer-sized game, with the 6mm's being about ideal. If hunting larger game like elk, moose, bear, then I'd prefer something .264" on up.

Different strokes for different folks... wink

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yep, I agree.

If I only hunted wide open areas, the 6mm carts or even smaller would probably get the nod quite often, but I don't. They will kill plain and simple. The majority of my hunting is in very thick areas, areas where a death run of a mere 25yds can be like finding a needle in a haystack when you don't get an exit. I've killed hundreds of big game animals and I can pretty much count on sparse trails when I shoot .257 cal or smaller when the cns is not struck, even with monos. With larger cals, I just get better blood trails and for me personally, shorter. It's not a question of if they will kill effectively, I know they will. I just prefer punching larger drains in them.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
" Anyone ever found the 243 lacking" Not really but it does happen to certain people posting on the internet and some gunwriters ,everyone else who has one just goes and kills [bleep] with theirs. Probably unbelievable at this point but the vast majority who just kill their deer with a 243 use std c&c bullets factory loaded and bought at Wallyworld never thinking that would be held against them. Magnum Man

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bingo! best post of the thread perhaps! the internet causes people to forget reality and replace it with speculation conservative enough to not upset the applecart of other posters.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Yea, like a twenty ga. for dove and quail. crazy whistle

Really big and tough Bastids should shoot a 458.

The deer I shoot with my 243 taste just like those I shoot with my 300 RUM.

Last edited by eyeball; 04/24/14.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a hand loader and selected a 7-08 for my son when he started hunting and I would do it again. It's a snap to load up ammo that reduces recoil to .243 levels and then you can always load hotter loads later if you feel the need.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

SCHMUCK!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Totally. Deer die every time I shoot them with a .223. If you cannot kill with a 24 or 25 maybe you cannot shoot

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've always hunted with an '06, or my 300 Savage. The damned heart doctor said I need to start being careful about the recoil, so I picked up a .243. Reports to follow this fall. I'll be getting a cantilever slug barrel for my 20 gauge too, as well as finally retiring my .54 cal. Hawkins for a .50.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I must admit I have only read the first three and the last five pages of this thread. I am under the impression the question is what caliber to buy in a Kimber Montana for me. If you are going to let beginners shoot a rifle in Alabama why do you want a Kimber Montana? Are not Kimbers light weight high end rifles? I would not choose a light weight high end rifle for a beginner. I think heavier rifles are inherently more accurate. The Savage 110 with the accutrigger and the such come to mind for a beginner. How far are the beginners going to carry this rifle? How big of animals are you going to hunt? Do you ever plan on using this Kimber for a Western Elk hunt? How much coyote hunting do you plan on? Why a Kimber? A .243 will top you out on Deer sized game, a 7 08 offers a bigger range of heavier bullets. A 243 would be an excellent coyote varmit rifle, a 7 08 not so much. If I was gonna buy a Kimber Montana I would buy a caliber to carry up a Mountain, knowing it was an adequate caliber to harvest anything on that Mountain, but thats just me. If I walked for miles calling coyotes three days a week in the winter I could understand a Kimber .243. I would think about a more economical rifle for the beginners and not get a Kimber for someone unless I knew how much they wanted to use it. Remember Kids are going to grow, and serious hunters learn to become proficient with shooting.

Last edited by Angus1895; 04/30/14.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I'm a big .243/6mm Rem fan. I've shot alot of deer with alot of different calibers. Our bucks can be very heavy up here. Here's my 2 cents....

I grab my .243 most of the time if I'm thinking shots will be inside 250 yards. The one thing I've found though is on chest shots with the 80 TTSX or the 85 TSX is that you seldom see a reaction to the hit. Not even a flinch. The deer will just run away then stop and fall over. Blood trails were sometimes poor aswell, even in snow, with two tiny holes in and out. This usually isn't a big deal but I always dreaded the thought of this happening at last light on the edge of thick cover or a deep coulee. As much as I tried to tell myself to take out the shoulders, 40 year habits die hard and I kept putting them in the bread basket behind the shoulder. I've since switched to 100 gr Partitions and I now see a reaction to the hits and the exit holes are slightly better (bigger) too. Still can eat up to the hole though. wink Penetration is never an issue from any angle.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I really like what my 243 and the newer bonded bullets do on deer. Having said that, it's not capable of being a 'better' deer killer than anything bigger....cuz it ain't. If recoil is a factor in the equation, then it could make for better placement...which is it's own discussion. I buy into the bullet construction being more important, the lighter it gets. The deer that run on me when shot with any of my .358, 30, 45, or 284 cal rifles, will run about the same with the 243. They'll die right there, just the same, too. Depends on the placement and the mood of the deer. I've shot through 3 ribs, and near 20" of deer, and broken an off shoulder at 267 (lasered), with a 243 and an off the shelf bonded bullet. My bigger guns probably wouldn't have stopped under the hide like the 243 did, but the deer was DRT, so I'm not sure it mattered.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
very well stated!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 70 invisible), 3,296 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,483
Posts18,471,815
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.