Print Thread
Hop To
#8748987 04/04/14
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Keep it or sell? Got hit hard with taxes this year, lost all of the kids. Don't really use it but have shot it on and off. It was willed to me, An in laws Elk rifle. I was the first one to mount a scope. Two stocks, a beater and the original. Never been messed with all original. Even has the stock iron sights and hood. Mixed on this one and not sure what it might be worth. Dies 100+ cases etc. If it goes then all will go with it. Have seen what Gunbroker says, but hard to say they are either messed with or overpriced IMHO. This one is honest.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If you want an evaluation on price, "The red book of Winchester values" says a 300 H&H standard grade magnum is worth:

90% condition: "$2,100.00"
98-100% "near new condition": "$3,000.00"

Too bad you have to sell it, as it sounds like a very nice rifle with some good extras..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Love to see a photo or two.
Bob

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Not sure yet, never have been able to post photos. I tend to be conservative on condition. 95% is what I would say, couple of dings and two dings on the barrel and floor plate. Stock, the original one is great, the beater stock is just that, refinished checkering recut, and refinished. It is accurate, MOA and better with loads it likes.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Photobucket is easy ,once you get the "knack".
Get it and PM me , I will walk you thru the procedure.
IMHO with the "dings" I don't think It will bring $2100 ,even with the extras, but close-up Photos will tell a lot more.
Rich

"Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting" (Colonel Townsend Whelen)
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Get the kids to photo and post, I use photobucket, it is a pain in the azz but it works! I take pics with my wifes smart phone, email them to my gmail, then load em to photobucket ,waalaa then I can put em up here . I want a nice old 300 H&H, had a chance to buy a mint 300H&H and a mint in wood box 300 win mag, both were Bull guns with 28" bull barrels, I thought the guy wanted 1500 dollars to much and passed, little did I know only a very few Bulls were made in 300 win mag, I have been kicking myself every since! That was back in the early 90's, I am willing to bet the 300 win mag is worth 3 times what I could have bought it for then,shipping crate all paper work even the order form from a hardware store in PENN. Back in those days I was dealing with a Sherman or Shueman (sp?) guy, he would send me a 4 page mimeograph paper of all the 70's he had, and dog dam he had em ALL! I think he is out of the game now. I remember he was a no BS guy, forget dickering either pay what he wanted,needed or get off the phone. He did know the market and put the money they were worth up and that was that! very best WinPoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by nitrosonic
Photobucket is easy ,once you get the "knack".
Get it and PM me , I will walk you thru the procedure.
IMHO with the "dings" I don't think It will bring $2100 ,even with the extras, but close-up Photos will tell a lot more.
Rich

+1. "95%" condition rifles don't have nicks and dings on them. I'm thinking we need pics and then the whole story can be told. As it's looking it sounds more like a $1,200-$1,500.00 rifle honestly and then sell the components and extras separately if the buyer of the rifle doesn't take them. Pics might change my mind one way or the other though..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I will look into pictures this weekend. By dings I mean there are two small spots where the bluing is broken through. Safe, use etc. One is on the barrel the other on the floor plate. Other than that it is perfect. It is a standard rifle with the steel butt plate. 26" standard barrel. Iron sights with hood on the front

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds good. Good year of manufacture too. I was just handling one made in '60 and it had the plastic butt plate on it. The rifle was in very good condition and the shop wants $1,450.00 for it...

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Sounds good. Good year of manufacture too. I was just handling one made in '60 and it had the plastic butt plate on it. The rifle was in very good condition and the shop wants $1,450.00 for it...

If the gun is 'real' nice I will pay finders fee. I am still partial on the early 50's guns, I guess cause I came in the world in 54'. BSA shoot some cell pix if you don't want it and feel it was shot very little. very best WinPoor

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Oregon45 told me about one for less than that near him as well.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If possible, keep the rifle. Money is cheap right now. I would first look at a short term loan at one of my credit unions. It will be easier to repay than to find another .300 H&H.

Best wishes, jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,292
Posts18,525,764
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.