Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
If DOJ Holder refuses, the H of R can vote to have the Sgt. at Arms find her and arrest her............its all here......

http://washingtonexaminer.com/article/2546356

Last edited by bigwhoop; 04/09/14.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Confine her where and what judge is going to hear the charges? kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by kwg020
Confine her where and what judge is going to hear the charges? kwg

People under arrest usually go to jail and stay there unless they post bail or a judge remands them to the custody of their attorney.
Whatever judge is on the bench at the time the charges come up.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
There first must be a convening of a grand jury.

Due process isn't extinct in these type matters.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by isaac

Did you read the article and the Constitutional provision - or did you start the billable hour meter?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You would have made a terrible Pitchfork and Torches Hooligan...

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Did you read the article and the Constitutional provision - or did you start the billable hour meter?

========

With you, no. But, you can pay the other dumbass attorney who suggests this all you want.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Hey buddy, the contempt charge doesn't vacate her due process and neither does her arrest. It starts the judicial process - something that Holder refuses to do.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
With you, no. But, you can pay the other dumbass attorney who suggests this all you want.

That *other* attorney may actually be worth what he/she charges.

Contempt of congress doesn't require a grand jury, or any process other than the congress voting that she has refused to comply with a lawful demand, i.e., provide the testimony / documentation requested.

Same as organized crime members refusing to testify before grand juries.

The judge overseeing the grand jury finds the OC member in contempt, and off to jail for up to 18 months, or the duration of the grand jury.

If congress finds Lerner in contempt, as they should, she is off to jail, with the keys to the cell in her pocket. If she provides the required testimony / information, she then gets out.

The only due process right would be habeas corpus, in theory only available AFTER she's locked up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Holder was found in contempt.

Holder did not go to jail.

When is Holder's court date ?

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Holder would not have a "court date", same as Lerner, if congress would enforce the contempt citation.

But they haven't / won't.

They "don't wanna go there".

Buncha puzzies.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
As I understand it, the courts need not even be involved in jailing someone for contempt of Congress. The normal path is to refer the matter to the courts for independent handling, but as I read it, houses of Congress have authority in their own right to enforce their subpoena power.

If that's correct, then the House can jail Lerner for lying to them and obstructing their investigation. They can't jail her for other offenses.

Last edited by denton; 04/09/14.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Holder was "found in contempt" and that's as far as it went , words. Congress took NO further action.

Lerner is a smaller fish , so they might do something , maybe. A token.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
The House has followed the statutory procedure since 1934.

William Arthur Ward

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by Fubarski

That *other* attorney may actually be worth what he/she charges.

Contempt of congress doesn't require a grand jury, or any process other than the congress voting that she has refused to comply with a lawful demand, i.e., provide the testimony / documentation requested.

Same as organized crime members refusing to testify before grand juries.

The judge overseeing the grand jury finds the OC member in contempt, and off to jail for up to 18 months, or the duration of the grand jury.

If congress finds Lerner in contempt, as they should, she is off to jail, with the keys to the cell in her pocket. If she provides the required testimony / information, she then gets out.

The only due process right would be habeas corpus, in theory only available AFTER she's locked up.

==============

Hire Daffy Duck if you want. It's your money. Of course, your ignorance may impact upon whether it was well spent or not. Educate yourself. Here's some high school civics cheat sheets for you.
==========

Q: What is the process for holding someone in contempt of Congress?

A: The procedure can start in either the House or the Senate. The two chambers do not work together on contempt citations. It only takes one chamber to refer a person to be prosecuted for contempt. A contempt citation can start with a subcommittee, a full committee or in the full House or Senate.

If it starts at the committee level and a person refuses to comply with a committee subpoena, the committee has to vote to move a criminal contempt citation forward. It takes a majority vote for the citation to move to the full House or Senate.

Q: What happens next?

A: Once the full House or Senate has a contempt citation, it must be debated by the full chamber like any other resolution. It is subject to the same filibuster and procedural rules as any other House or Senate resolution. It takes a majority vote to be approved.

Once approved, the House speaker or the Senate president pro tem then turns the matter over to the U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, "whose duty it shall be to bring the matter before the grand jury for its action," according to the law.

Of course,another added dimension, of some importance in this particular case, is whether Lerner actually waived her constitutional privilege.

Last edited by isaac; 04/09/14.

William Arthur Ward

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by denton
As I understand it, the courts need not even be involved in jailing someone for contempt of Congress. The normal path is to refer the matter to the courts for independent handling, but as I read it, houses of Congress have authority in their own right to enforce their subpoena power.

If that's correct, then the House can jail Lerner for lying to them and obstructing their investigation. They can't jail her for other offenses.

By the "jail", this doesn't mean a sentence has been pronounced. Arresting and bringing to "jail" is a formal process whereby the person is "booked" and bond can be set.
What I have trying to make the point is that the "founders" provided for a "work around" to the potential of an obstinate AG.
What "isaac" is hung up with is the "process". Well, this is an alternate process that can get to the heart of the matter. No one is looking to deny her of a trial but if the AG won't pursue this because of he is "all in" for his boss, than the House can act on their own.
We are treading on some Constitutional issues here already with our first black and historical emperor.
We should be grateful that the "founders" were thinking ahead when they crafted the document.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I see "isaac" finally read the article. The meter is running now.........

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Huh? Perhaps you should do more reading.

William Arthur Ward

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You can cite Wikipedia as your authority if you want, but the simple fact is that congress (the house), by itself, could hold Lerner in contempt and have her incarcerated for her refusal to provide the information requested by the house, without her having any justification to do so.

They need no more help other than to have their own enforcers make the arrest.

Whether or not they do so, is another matter.

If I wanted to waste my money, I know who I would hire.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Let's do it this way. Watch what happens. When you figure it out and I don't say "I told you so,dumbass", you try to get some of your money back from that smart lawyer you wanted so badly.

William Arthur Ward

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 1minute, 219DW, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,792 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,481
Posts18,490,194
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.