Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by deflave
Yes, I gotta have 'em if at all possible.

Have never seen anybody score poorer with night sights than without when shooting in low light.

Travis

Same experience.

I prefer the Trijicon HDs, with the big bright orange front sight and U notched rear. That being said, I have a few sets that have a brighter front sight that is of a different color than the rears. There is not much of a chance of mistaking which dot is the front one when you pull them up on target.

If I cant have night sights, I want a laser, or better yet, a white light and laser combo. Crimson Trace grips a massive improvement over irons in low light. My 442 J frame carries CT boot grips and making hits with it is easy money in low light.

That reminds me that I need to clean that puppy. I have been shooting it much more lately, as I noticed that my J frame skills had diminished. Fun little gun with wadcutters and light loads. One of these nights I am going to do a bunny hunt, strictly with the J frame! smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm a big fan of Crimson Trace grips. During daylight I shoot faster with regular sights, but in dusk/dark or shooting from an odd position or especially shooting without my glasses/contacts, the Crimson Trace can't be beat.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I bought my dad a set for his 4" Model 19 .357 for the same reason JCMCUBIC.

If he does not have his contacts in, he can still see the projected red dot on the target. That makes it very practical for his situation.

We have put the red dot on deer in the yard at night, at his house and it is funny to watch. Some will try to kick at the dot like it is a critter on them. We also lit up a couple of noses as a joke and told my little one at the time that it was Rudolph.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I don't have them right now but know I need them. Easy to buy a replacement front sight from Kahr to put on my CM9. Need to get off my ass and get a new set for my MP9 "house gun" also.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Best I've ever seen were the combo fiber optic/tritium sights on a friend's Glock (don't recall who made them). I'd love to have a set on my Commander, but I can't seem to find a set. I may bet a wild hair and make some; just picked up some 4140 steel; would be perfect.

Are you talking about a 3 dot fiber optic on top and tritium 3 dot on the bottom?

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have night sights on the three pistols that I carry. One came with them, but the other two I had them installed. I have no desire to start a dust-up, but it's difficult for me to imagine carrying at night without them.

As for Crimson Trace, I will say this: I like them. I think if you're going to use a laser sight, Crimson Trace is as good as any of them. HOWEVER...up until this year, I shot a couple times each week using Crimson Trace grips on my 1911 and have had several sets fail. And I mean fail miserably. I don't think Crimson Trace grips stand up to the pounding of a higher volume of shooting. For carry guns that see a couple hundred rounds per year, I think CT grips would be fine. But over the course of 3,500-4,500 rounds, they have a propensity to fail (in my experience).

I even wrote a letter to CT, telling them they need to get their poop together or they will get somebody killed. I never got a reply.

That said, I love CT grips for plinking and pins, but when I go out into the world, I have no plans to use them. I practice drawing and going straight to the iron sights. If the red dot happens to show up where I'm aiming, I might switch to it, but I practice having zero expectation that my laser grips will actually function.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
My Kimber Combat carry 1911 night sights the tritium is totally used up, nothing left . I just ordered a new set from Brownell and will install when i receive next week .

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The white paint on the front sight of my M&P 40 fell off a while back and I plan on replacing them with a set of Viking VTAC. This will make it the only gun with night sights.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
when i purchased my M&P 9MM the white on the front sight came off the first time i fired it, but i already had a New set of Trijicon night sights ready to replace them factory with, so i didn't care it came off .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have 5 pistols with them, at last count. It is a logical upgrade, even though the gas stops glowing after a few years.

The house AR also has Troy BUIS with tritium inserts. Probably overkill, considering the other sights on the rifle, a Leupold Prismatic and a laser grip, but backups are backups... smile

The sights that have the white outline around them are my favorites as they are visible in all light levels.

Except for pure target or hunting guns, I am inclined to have night sights on just about all defensive weapons. A couple of my best 1911's will get them, at some point.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 04/10/14.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Best I've ever seen were the combo fiber optic/tritium sights on a friend's Glock (don't recall who made them). I'd love to have a set on my Commander, but I can't seem to find a set. I may bet a wild hair and make some; just picked up some 4140 steel; would be perfect.

Vtac sights I have them on my M&P .40

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hell yes, even have a little bead glowing back at me on my 870.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ime they're like fax machines and microwaves, until you have your first set you never realized you needed them.

it's a prerequisite for me, every handgun I've bought the lil lass either has them or I've had them installed after the fact for her.

sans her 629 berry picking gun.

but her main handgun for when I'm outa town is a Glock 22 with both tritium and a lasermax guide rod laser.

I get where Kevin's coming from with practice, but she has no inclination to shoot as often as I'd like her to.

just brought her and the neighbor girl taking CCW course together

am hoping it flies!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
Hell yes, even have a little bead glowing back at me on my 870.

Gunner

good point Gunner, only have one of the 3 set up that way yet, but I put one of the Brockman's tritium front sights on one of our guide guns

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yessir, even our scatterguns need aiming.

Gunner

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
If you question their need, walk outside on a dark night or be in a dark room then tell me where your gun is pointing. It's that basic. Plus they don't require batteries or a switch to work.

Fiber Optic stuff is useless in those conditions.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I hae Trij Night Sights on my H&K USP. Like the fellow above; I like to see them lit up on my bedside table.

I can't see myself taking the time to fool with them in an emergency situation in the dark of night, but it's fine just having another arrow in the quiver. If you practice with them in the dark; you will get faster acquisition.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bea175
Night Sights on Your Carry Gun

Yes, all the ones that see regular carry have night sights.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

Vtac sights I have them on my M&P .40

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Okay you have my attention...Splain those sights to me. Is that fiber optic on top and tritium on bottom?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boococky

Are you talking about a 3 dot fiber optic on top and tritium 3 dot on the bottom?
The one's my buddy has (and they're not made by Tru-Glo) are fiber optic with tritium behind the fiber optic rod. So the sight picture is always the same, day or night. They're really slick.

Since no one is making them for a S&W 1911, I may try to make a set myself. I just made a fixture for holding a rear and front sight for milling and shaping. I'm going to do a simple fixed 1911 sight first, and if that works out, I'll do some tritium/fiber optics for my LW Commander.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

285 members (222ND, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 23 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,828
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.