Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 36 of 39 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 39
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by milespatton

A few comments:
Paladin showed us how it was done by eating two three massive servings of crawfish. grin

Jeeze Miles, I just couldn't bear to see any go to waste. Those were some of the best crawfish I've had, and certainly the best in way too long. Oldman2003 had a great idea bringing the crawfish and the knowledge to cook 'em up right.

Last edited by Paladin; 04/09/14.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Then, there's the inevitable "Lost & Found" after every Gathering. Please take a look and let me know who owns what!

Ed

I'm thinking the coffee mug belongs to Kristy. The logo looks like a Canadian (MOLOPO) outfit I did some work for a couple of years ago.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
It is a MOLOPO logo. Would you tell her that it is safe and sound?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
More pictures. Wtxj took these. I know that more pictures were taken. I think Paladin took pics of folks shooting his double rifle and I believe that Sponxx's wife took a bunch of pictures, too.

Here's what the Prairie Dog Shoot targets looked like.
[Linked Image]

Milespatton, Kaywoodie, and Elton relaxing on Friday before the strenuous shooting to come.
[Linked Image]

Friday Night
[Linked Image]

Curdog4570
[Linked Image]

Blue and Ed (Toomanyletters) chat with Maddy and Peggy taking notes about a couple of old guys. grin
[Linked Image]

Barbara and Maddy
[Linked Image]

Ed (Toomanyletters), CCCC, and Maddy
[img]http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa442/Knife1boy/APDDSN0864MaddyandCCCC.jpg[/img]

Allen and Kristy
[img]http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa442/Knife1boy/AllenandKristy.jpg[/img]

I hope the other pictures get posted and I regret not taking more pictures.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

E
E
Barbara and Ed.
Thank you for the great hospitality and relaxing week end.
And to all of my new friends thank you.
My regret was having to travel early and miss the last few
hours of your company, fun and of course great food.
Thanks to all.
Elton Rambin

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Glad to have you there, Elton, and glad to have you here!

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, I hope that was the first of many posts. He has a lot of knowledge that is needed here at the fire. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome in Elton. Glad to have you here.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome, Elton!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Welcome Elton! Glad to see you post!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
The gathering.

I arrived at 6AM Saturday morning. Still black dark. As I exited my vehicle I saw a dim white light approaching me then a female voice(Kristy) asked "Do you know how to make coffee."

We eased down to the pavillion, found coffee pots, coffee, and water. Put the the pot on and waited while stoking the fire. As the fire built up Miles appeared and put a second pot on.

The sound and smell of perking coffee had a crowd gathered at full daylight. The beginning of a great day.

Elton knew a bit about my area and we covered some ground.

Last edited by websterparish47; 04/10/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
websterparish47 - it WAS a great day. How many good folks can a person appreciate between rising and bed? Quite a few.

Elton, welcome - and now that you are here, don't go away !

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So sorry I missed this.

Hope to come up next time and get right with horses.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
It's hard to say what my favorite part of this past weekend was. The cold, rainy weather was the worst part.

Now, the highlights;
RIO7 rolled in early and brought a bunch of steel targets including a life-size, anatomically correct silhouette of a 400lb hog, complete with painted highlighted body parts. shocked laugh
Miles helped us set up the course and we got ready for the rest of the activities.
Friday saw most of the crowd show up and brought more food, drinks, and condiments than we could possibly consume.
Kaywoodie set up his shelter in the yard, replete with his own street sign in French, which translated to "Leper Street" eek grin Kaywoodie kept us all in stitches with his foreign language skills, sense of humor, and anecdotes.
Friday evening, he was in rare form and I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe. grin
We had several folks show up who are not Campfire members, including a long-time lurker here, Elton, who really should join in the conversations as he has a LOT to add to this group!
A relative of Paladin's, Kristy, (she was at the Quemado Gathering last August) brought her husband, Randy, and their three kids along, too.

Saturday morning saw folks jumping in to feed the crew; Wtxj, Milespatton, tex n cal, and others cooked breakfast, kept three coffee pots going, and fed the crew scrambled eggs, bacon (peppered & regular), Tex n cal's Campfire Hog Hunt pig sausage, muffins, cinnamon rolls, juice, and tortillas.

Folks were so busy meeting & greeting that we didn't start the shooting part until after 11:00AM.
Oldman2003, his bride, and his son Allen (who also needs to join here!) brought crawfish, potatoes, & corn for lunch as well as what has to be the best pecan pie I have ever eaten!
Oldman2003's lovely bride also baked a chocolate cake with chocolate icing that was inscribed "Happy Birthday Blue" as this coming Tuesday (tomorrow!) is RIO7's birthday. grin
We adjourned to the back pasture via the "hay ride" and Elton set up three shooting benches he had brought, complete with bags/rifle rests.
Curdog4570, Paladin, and Elton (an accomplished firearms instructor) tutored a couple if ladies (curdog4570's lady friend and Texczech's wife) on handgunning, and then folks took turns shooting at the reactive targets with various handguns.
Sponxx brought a brand new .243Win that needed to have a scope mounted and sighted in an proved that he can shoot!
Once the shooting began, we quickly discovered that there were some outstanding shooters in attendance. Kaywoodie, shooting a great example of the 1903A3, was ringing the steel out beyond 200 yards with iron sights.
Paladin brought his Merkel .470NE double rifle and let anyone who wanted to, shoot it at the targets. What a hoot! It really smacks the steel without killing the shooter.
RIO7 was ringing the steel out to 288 yards (the life-size hog) with his .405Win, and proving that old catridges can get it done. grin
Once again, Paladin showed his handgunning skills by hitting a pig silhouette at 200 yards on the first shot with his 500 Linebaugh, then shooting quarters out of the air with his Model 41 S&W. grin
Websterparish47 was there, quietly doing his best to deplete the worlds supply of .22lr ammo with his pistol. laugh
Wtxj let me shoot his .30-40 Krag carbine. I DO like those guns!

At about 1:30 PM, the dinner bell rang and we were treated to a MOST scrumptious lunch of crawfish, potatoes, and corn cooked by Oldman2003, his wife, and son. That was my first experience with "mudbugs" and I can assure you, it won't be my last!
Paladin showed us how it was done by eating two massive servings of crawfish. grin
For those who didn't partake of crawfish, TexCzech cooked hotdogs & hamburgers on the grill.

The Prairie Dog Shoot finally kicked off about mid afternoon. One shot, cold bore, any caliber, any rifle, any sights, any position at a 1/2" orange dot on a printed prairie dog silhouette. CCCC won the shoot with his Low Wall .22-250 by clipping the orange dot, Sponxx was about 1 1/4" out from the orange dot, shooting his 7mm Magnum, and Tex N Cal & Allen (Oldman2003's son) tied for third place at 1 1/2" out from the dot on their targets. I know that Allen shot a borrowed .270Win, but I don't remember what Tex N Cal shot.
The weather moved in before we could shoot any more competition, so the "Elk Hunt", 200 yard .22lr shoot, the "William Tell" archery shoot, and the Daisy Red Ryder shoot all had to be postponed until next time.

BrotherBart got sick at the last minute and couldn't make it and stxhunter had to work, so Plan B had to be put into place for Saturday night supper.
RIO7 stepped up and had Barbara go pick up steaks for the crowd along with some great potato salad, and coleslaw. Sponxx supplied baked potatoes, and then treated us to scratch-made Pisco Sours. That was a real treat! His son and daughter helped make the sours by forming a small assembly line to juice the several dozen key limes needed to make this wonderful beverage.
There were bags upon bags of chips, jars of salsa, and milespatton brought several jars of his famous pickled peppers.
Saturday night saw cold rain set in, curtailing the festivities, but not before we awarded the Prairie Dog Shoot prizes. CCCC won a sporterized .30-40Krag, Sponxx won a brick of Eley .22lr, and Tex N Cal & Allen each won 100 rounds of CCI Sub-Sonic .22lr. The Krag and the Eley .22lr ammo were graciously donated by butchlambert1, who was unable to be there but wanted to participate in some way. I'd say it was a heck of a participation!

Sunday morning we were treated to another great breakfast by Wtxj, Milespatton, Tex N Cal, and others.
People started filtering out all day as the cold rain continued, but Allen stayed behind to help clean up.

Paladin & RIO7 stayed here last night and Paladin helped me set up my bullet casting outfit and we cast about 75-100 475gr .458 cal Parker-Hale bullets for my Sharps. I had to lube and load some of them in .458WM cases to see how they shoot until my Sharps gets here next month. blush
We didn't have much to clean up, but finding a place to put all of the food that was left behind was a challenge! grin
RIO7 and Paladin finally pulled out about lunchtime today, putting and end to the adventure.

Folks, it was a pleasure and a heck of a lot of fun. I got to meet several new friends, learn more about the ones I had met before, and plan on expanding those friendships.

Barbara and I have spent most of this afternoon going over how things progressed and how we can do it better next time.

I can't wait.

Ed

Sounds and looks like a great time, Ed. You and your wife's generosity is clear, and thank you for sharing of your shindig. Paladin sounds like a helluva' pistolero. Fantastic looking pile of mini-lobsters there, and some other fine eats, too. The catfish fry sounds fantastic. Don't know the man, but ButchLambert is clearly a gent and incredibly generous. Good stuff.

Saw a few familiar faces and was pleased to see folks keeping well. Gordon, Paul and Maddy and Patrick I have dined/spent time with and enjoyed every moment. Paul, sorry to hear of your vehicle woes, but good on you for getting home safe.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
More pics.

Smoke getting a pat down.

[Linked Image]

Part of the Quemado gang along with Peggy.

[Linked Image]

The fruits of Oldman2003's labor, and were they good!

[Linked Image]

I think RIO7 was trying to convince Oldman2003 how big the crawfish get on the ranch.

[Linked Image]

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Leighton - so very good to hear from you pal. We must work on getting you to one of these distant gatherings. You will enjoy it and certainly will be well-enjoyed by the others.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
So sorry I missed this.

Hope to come up next time and get right with horses.

Barbara even gave them a bath, expecting you! grin Of course, the rain kept them a little damp... frown

You're welcome to come up anytime, Steve.

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was a helluva gathering. I've attended my share of crawfish boils over the years, but I believe Randy got the best scald on 'em I've ever seen.

Bein' Peggy's "Pet Meskin'" has turned into a lot of work, trimming trees and cutting brush on her place, but I finally escaped this morning and me and Tee are at the lake, where my computer works.

Ed and Barbara really done themselves proud on this deal.

And Paul, y'all had to come by about 15 miles South of my fishing lake to break down in Rule.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by curdog4570
...Bein' Peggy's "Pet Meskin'" has turned into a lot of work, trimming trees and cutting brush on her place

I seem to remember something about you "volunteering" for that duty... whistle grin

Ed

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]
Miles and Gene

[Linked Image]
Gene, Barbra, and ?

[Linked Image]
Kaywoodie deep in thought

[Linked Image]
Kaywoodie still contemplating, Wtxj listening to Miles explain things

[Linked Image]
Ed explaining how the cow ate the cabbage

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 36 of 39 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 39

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (44mc, 1100mag, 10Glocks, 35, 10gaugemag, 17 invisible), 1,333 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,259
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.