Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I finally felt bad enough about giving Ingwe a hard time over his pushfeed fetish. No this is not a 7x57, but it's bad enough that it's a pushfeed sick. A while back some questions were asked about the XTR's and that got my interest up. About the same time I noticed one at my LGS. It is chambered in the JOC special (270W), so there's 2 dings against buying it but I did it anyway. I had to consult with 79s about these to see when this one was made and according to him it was made in 1980. My friend/smith/Winchester guru bought it from an estate when his buddy passed away. He said this rifle had never been fired and his friend just bought it because it had nice wood. I couldn't agree more, even though I'm a pre 64 fan, this rifle is very nice. I know there is a following for the older XTR's so here it is. The original box came with the rifle as well. This rifle came from the same guy I bought my pre 64 270 fwt from and I think I'm going to like it. Time will only tell though:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0731_zps5fdfef59.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0732_zps8b5fd3bd.jpg[/img]

This was before I got it home and wiped it down....The bolt still had that sticky grease from the factory on it. I took everything apart and wiped it down with Rem Oil. I swabbed that barrel out with shooters choice and let it sit in there for a while.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here's the bolt after I took the firing pin out. Notice no wear on the firing pin itself:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

What say you Winchester brethren??? laugh. Besides it needs a Leupy 2.5-8x36 whistle

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holy smokes that is one sweet ass rifle! For those of you out their not many of these XTR featherweights left the plant under the "WRA" name. If you read they say the XTR featherweights were introduced in 1981. This one was probably made in the first month of 1980 I bet. Collectors out their have it down to the SN when the last made WRA modle 70 was made as well. From what I read guys seek these out cause they consider these the last of the real model 70's cause they say "WRA" on them.

Last edited by 79S; 04/12/14.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a couple push feed Sporter varmints a .223 rem and a custom shop 22-250 rem. super accurate. I shoot the .223 more than any center fire I own, the custom shop job is scary accurate with any ammo I have ever run in it! Good guns. very best WinPoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks guys. I'm hoping it turns out to be a good shooter. 79s says it's pretty collectable, as did the guy I bought it from so I'm debating on whether I should glass bed it or just leave it as is?? Generally I just glass them and be done with it. What do you guys suggest?

BSA MAGA
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Shoot it first. If it shoots well, leave it alone. Although shooting a rifle in that condition is going to reduce the value to a point where glass bedding probably would make no difference in re-sale.

That's a nice M70. About a year older than I am grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Shoot it first. If it shoots well, leave it alone. Although shooting a rifle in that condition is going to reduce the value to a point where glass bedding probably would make no difference in re-sale.

That's a nice M70. About a year older than I am grin

I can't believe you are that young. The stock I bought from you said "74" inside it. I assumed that's when you were born. Everything points to this as being made in 1980 like 79s pointed out. As for the collector value: I probably already reduced some of that after wiping away the factory, sticky, grease today sick. I also polished the trigger a tiny bit to give it that smooth as glass break. Adjusted it down to 2.5 pounds too. It is factory bedded in the recoil lug, so I think I'll do as you suggest and just shoot it and see how it does.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Don't know much about collecting these,but when they came out, I bought 3 of them; a 270,257 Roberts and a 7x57 like Ingwe's.

Keep in mind these were the first FW's since Winchester stopped making them in 1964,so lots of folks were happy about them.

I sent the Roberts to Dietrich Apel at Jaegers and had him convert the mag box to 30/06 length for a 3" Roberts....the throats were long as they came.Worked up a load with 100 gr Sierra's and 100 gr Partitions and killed a bunch of coyotes,antelope and mule deer with it. The little rifle never baubled,and worked just fine.Shot a lot of woodchucks with it, too.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Very nice rifle there BSA.IMHO it needs a straight 4x or 6x and 130 gr Nosler Partitions and it's ready to Rock-N-Roll! wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mr BSA, That is a fantastic looking gun, I bet it shoots well also! I go 'off the grid' often!, non pre 64! Im playing with a Laredo BOSS in 7 STW right now, I lucked out on a case of older Fed prem 160 gr accubonds, the gun is super accurate and I will work out to 1000 before its over, even though a coyote is all I would try past about 4 or 500 yards in real life... I had much rather nail a 400 yard crow than a 400 yard whitetail. very best winpoor

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Very nice rifle there BSA.IMHO it needs a straight 4x or 6x and 130 gr Nosler Partitions and it's ready to Rock-N-Roll! wink

You must have read my mind!! I was just thinking that this morning. My pre 64 270fwt will be shooting 150's from now on, maybe this one will just shoot the 130's laugh...I was actually thinking I have a chit load of Hornady 130gr. pills to burn up. This barrel is going to be broke in. It's too new looking laugh

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 2-7 Leupold will look nice on it...

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
79s, do you know if extra low DD's would be the ticket with the 2-7? One of my friends bought a 2-7 for his m71 a while back and that is a nice little scope. I think I could handle something like that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leupold-VX-...icle-Gloss-Finish-1-113862-/310927868177

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ran extra low on a 2.5-8 36 they worked fine for me... I do run talley lows with 3-9-33 as well. I'm a big fan of the talley lightweights but I know folks don't care for them.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That box alone is probably worth money smile again that is a cool rifle....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
I ran extra low on a 2.5-8 36 they worked fine for me... I do run talley lows with 3-9-33 as well. I'm a big fan of the talley lightweights but I know folks don't care for them.

I use them too, but they just didn't look as nice on my pre 64 270 fwt so I went back to the DD's. Those Talley lightweights are lows and work for just about anything with up to a 42mm objective.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

You must have read my mind!! I was just thinking that this morning. My pre 64 270fwt will be shooting 150's from now on, maybe this one will just shoot the 130's laugh...I was actually thinking I have a chit load of Hornady 130gr. pills to burn up. This barrel is going to be broke in. It's too new looking laugh
130 gr NP's,H-4831 and the .270 Win go together like peaches & cream. wink My Super Grade .270 just loves 130 gr NP's the only thing is I tried VV N-165 powder and WOW! fast,accurate. The 130 gr NP is scootin' along about 3150 fps and there is nothing I can't take with that load.

Not a good pic. Bought it in late 1991 or early 1992.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

130 gr NP's,H-4831 and the .270 Win go together like peaches & cream. wink My Super Grade .270 just loves 130 gr NP's the only thing is I tried VV N-165 powder and WOW! fast,accurate. The 130 gr NP is scootin' along about 3150 fps and there is nothing I can't take with that load.

Not a good pic. Bought it in late 1991 or early 1992.

[Linked Image]

That's a beauty. Is that a 3-9x40 leupold?

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yes,it's been on that rifle since I bought it. Sent the scope back to Leupold as there was dust inside,Leupold cleaned it up and I put it back on.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or h4831 and 140gr hornady! That combo shoots well out of my junky ol model 70. Yes the bolt is on the wrong side...

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What? A lefty...... eek. You don't shoot that way do you?

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a lefty but majority of my rifles are right hand.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, you might like my shotguns then:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

whistle

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm also digging the couch as well smile

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
BSA, I just bought the twin to your rifle, NIB and all, but in .257. I remember going into Western Auto when I was a teenager and these were new and thinking they would make the best hunting rifle ever for the mule deer and elk we hunted in NM then. They had three or four Ingwe specials I handled every time I went in the store.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
BSA, I just bought the twin to your rifle, NIB and all, but in .257. I remember going into Western Auto when I was a teenager and these were new and thinking they would make the best hunting rifle ever for the mule deer and elk we hunted in NM then. They had three or four Ingwe specials I handled every time I went in the store.

mind posting the first 4 digits of SN?

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
G156xxxx

The box looks just like BSA's, but the rifle has open sights, which I don't remember seeing on many of these. buying on Internet and I have not received it yet.

Thought it would make a fun gun for my 11 YO daughter to shoot in that she is getting into shooting now.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
What was the cutoff for WRA vs. USRA?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The cutoff from what I found is G1525323 All model 70 made up to July 18 1981 I think thats the correct date were WRA. July 21st 1981 they are USRACo made model 70's.

You have what they consider a transition model 70 USRACo used a lot of left over parts from WRA to put together rifles.

Last edited by 79S; 04/13/14.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I have a .270 sn G151xxxx. It's has a WRA butt plate but the box says USRA.

One time I asked on a forum(forget which one) if anyone ever thought a WRA Featherwieght XTRs might be collectable. I got a snarky answer that it's a push feed and would never be collectable. crazy

Last edited by ohiosam; 04/13/14.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 79S
The cutoff from what I found is G1525323 All model 70 made up to July 18 1981 I think thats the correct date were WRA. July 21st 1981 they are USRACo made model 70's.

You have what they consider a transition model 70 USRACo used a lot of left over parts from WRA to put together rifles.

Great. This makes me feel better about what I will do and usually do to unfired guns: take them out and shoot them.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That is cool buddy. Like someone else said in a different thread these XTR's were the cats azz. One guy said he's used his for the last 30 years and is very content. I was just in the shop getting some OAL measurements and they are within .015" from my pre 64. I'll just load to the Pre 64 OAL so all of my ammo fits in both rifles. I also checked function with some dummy rounds and it feeds and ejects perfectly. A 257 XTR or 7x57 would be very nice. Cool find on your "NIB" xtr. Let me know how it works out for you..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ohiosam

One time I asked on a forum(forget which one) if anyone ever thought a WRA Featherwieght XTRs might be collectable. I got a snarky answer that it's a push feed and would never be collectable. crazy

That guy was crazy. I've been watching these XTR fwt for about a year now and they really hold their value. I have been one that prefers the CRF's, but these have been intriguing to me, just as the remington mountain rifles have been. I really couldn't pass this one up for what my friend offered it to me for. However, like I said before, only time will tell.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Have both the NIB XTR .257 and a new SC Featherweight 7x57 on way. Should be fun. I thought these and the original Mountain Rifles were about the coolest rifles ever when they came out back in the 80s.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Funny you posted that about Mountain rifles as I was typing.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Originally Posted by ohiosam

That guy was crazy. I've been watching these XTR fwt for about a year now and they really hold their value. I have been one that prefers the CRF's, but these have been intriguing to me, just as the remington mountain rifles have been. I really couldn't pass this one up for what my friend offered it to me for. However, like I said before, only time will tell.

Yep I agree they have potential to appreciate faster then some push feed m70s. When the came out I really wanted one in .257 bob but when the .270 showed up on my dealer's rack it was love at first sight.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm also digging the couch as well

I was thinking the same thing. I could just envision myself sitting there with a 23 year old blonde and sharing a glass of Harvey's Bristol Creme...yeah, that's the ticket old timer, dream on.

No way I'd bed that beauty. It's probably floated and shoots as good as my 270. Jack would be proud. Slap about 60 gr of H4831 behind a good 130 gr bullet and next thing you know you'll be wanting to write for Outdoor Life.

Last edited by Kitch; 04/13/14.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kitch

I was thinking the same thing. I could just envision myself sitting there with a 23 year old blonde and sharing a glass of Harvey's Bristol Creme...yeah, that's the ticket old timer, dream on.

No way I'd bed that beauty. It's probably floated and shoots as good as my 270. Jack would be proud. Slap about 60 gr of H4831 behind a good 130 gr bullet and next thing you know you'll be wanting to write for Outdoor Life.

Good post laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Funny you posted that about Mountain rifles as I was typing.

Great minds kinda thing I guess laugh. I know BobinNH really likes the MR as well. I let a BDL (not the DBM) slip past me once and I'm still kicking myself in the azz. The shop only wanted $350.00 for it cry . It was there 1 day and gone the next...

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
One of the early ones in .280 would be nice.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the early ones in .280 would be nice.

Here is a early one in a 280 5 digit classic featherweight. I need to go shoot it one of these days.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
79s: I think you and I may have had this conversation before, but I have an advanced case of CRS, known as CRAFT.

My 257 XTR FWT has a serial # of 1538xxx, but the pad says Winchester Repeating Arms. So that would make it a "transition" model, correct? Just curious. Really doesn't matter 'cause she ain't for sale.

I bought it new in about 81, and then gave it to my BIL in a fit of stupidity, because it wasn't CRF. A while back, just after I bought one of the new 257 M70 Shot Show Specials, he gave it back to me. I'm tickled to have it back! They both shoot 120gr Speers into very small groups and I'm a happy camper.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

[b]No way I'd bed that beauty. [/b]It's probably floated and shoots as good as my 270. Jack would be proud. Slap about 60 gr of H4831 behind a good 130 gr bullet and next thing you know you'll be wanting to write for Outdoor Life.

You threw me off there for a sec....

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by southtexas
79s: I think you and I may have had this conversation before, but I have an advanced case of CRS, known as CRAFT.

My 257 XTR FWT has a serial # of 1538xxx, but the pad says Winchester Repeating Arms. So that would make it a "transition" model, correct? Just curious. Really doesn't matter 'cause she ain't for sale.

I bought it new in about 81, and then gave it to my BIL in a fit of stupidity, because it wasn't CRF. A while back, just after I bought one of the new 257 M70 Shot Show Specials, he gave it back to me. I'm tickled to have it back! They both shoot 120gr Speers into very small groups and I'm a happy camper.

Yes it would be considered a transition model between the last WRA SN and last SN for 1981 USRACo only made 11,000 rifles so I'm assuming yours was one of the first ones made in 82 and USRACo advertised the featherweight with open sights as well

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yes, I remember reading an article in that time frame that there were a very few FWT's made with open sights, and they would likely become collectors items. Any idea how many were produced that way?

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The .257 I bought has open sights.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, I remember reading an article in that time frame that there were a very few FWT's made with open sights, and they would likely become collectors items. Any idea how many were produced that way?

A serious model 70 collector will be the one to tell you that. All I know the featherweights with open sights were cataloged in 1982

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
About a month ago I ran across Model 70 pushfeed in a local forum, A Black Shadow for $250.00 Came with a cheap Tasco 6X24 scope and the worst camo paint job I have ever seen. But.. at $250 I took a chance, bolt matched the action and ever thing looked pretty good. Took a while but I got it cleaned up and put it in a $49 CDNN featherweight stock. Took it to the range and like other 30-06's it likes 4350 and 165g. Right about MOA for 3 at 100yards. For $250 I am a happy camper. Most likely it will go to the daughter as her deer rifle. They are nothing fancy, but they are a solid rifle. Unlike the wife's Remington Model 7 I have yet to se one recalled...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

A serious model 70 collector will be the one to tell you that. All I know the featherweights with open sights were cataloged in 1982

There's a nice 7x57 over at GB with factory irons. It's a pretty nice one too..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

[b]No way I'd bed that beauty. [/b]It's probably floated and shoots as good as my 270. Jack would be proud. Slap about 60 gr of H4831 behind a good 130 gr bullet and next thing you know you'll be wanting to write for Outdoor Life.

You threw me off there for a sec....

I'd bed her (the 23 year old blonde) if I weren't happily married wink

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The .257 I bought has open sights.

You suck laugh

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

There's a nice 7x57 over at GB with factory irons. It's a pretty nice one too..

What no link? Come on now

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Damn internet TV... laugh blush

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dang it. I don't see it anymore. It was there last night. There is this 270 with factory irons though. I guess the "S" (in the G7073) designates iron sights on these XTR fwt's. The box looks just like my box too, but the recoil pad is different. Mine just says Winchester repeating arms or something of that nature...:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=408262490

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That guy is a idiot gun was made in 82 not 80-81 lol... It's a late 82 made featherweight

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep. Too much money too... I've seen some pretty high prices on the XTR's, had a lot to do with my buying decision on the 270 fwt...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Do people really collect PF M70's? confused

I have to admit to not really caring much about them,other than as shooters.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The deal is not too many XTR featherweights left the new haven plant made by Olin corporation wearing the WRA on them. Majority of xtr featherweights were made under the USRACo banner. T

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Guess I shoulda kept mine...they were WRA.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Geez Bob.... sick

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Nice rifle! There is a good deal right now in the classifieds on fixed 4x conquest.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Matt. I know you like 270's. I'm still on the fence about them. I'm hoping my 2 fwt's change my mind.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have 3 of them 270 WSM, 270 Weatherby mag and 270 Winchester all in good ol model 70's and oh almost forgot another 270 in a model 54.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Have three .270's. Two are Winchesters M 70's .270 Win/Wby and the last a FN Mauser .270 Win.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey at least you didn't buy a Remington! I'm working a deal on a Classic in 30-06, it will probably stay '06 until I can get the money up for a rebarrel to 270.

These darn M70s are addictive!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Hey at least you didn't buy a Remington! I'm working a deal on a Classic in 30-06, it will probably stay '06 until I can get the money up for a rebarrel to 270.

These darn M70s are addictive!

sick...You meant 9.3x62 right. I know you are a heavy for caliber kind of guy. Trust me. You would love the 9.3!!! Just think of the 9.3x62 as a 30-06 that shoots 250+gr. bullets wink.. The classics are also very nice, especially the earlier ones.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
That hurt 444Matt,I have a Remington...

Thinking of getting rid of it though. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks Matt. I know you like 270's. I'm still on the fence about them. I'm hoping my 2 fwt's change my mind.

BSA, You have M70s in .270 and .375, you might as well sell everything else because you have what you need with those.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes I do, but none of them shoot as good as my 30-06 fwt. I even sold that nice EW (I bought from you) to 444Matt, because the pre 64 shot better. I've been trying to teach my 270 fwt to shoot like my 30-06, but it's like a hard headed German: Just doesn't want to cooperate crazy.Hey, you need to post some pics of your new rifles. You downright stole that 270 fwt!!!! I won't tell winchesterpoor that you bought 3 Borden rimrocks (pacific research) either. Your secret is safe with me buddy wink

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I will get around to posting pics eventually. What's a Borden Rimrock ; )

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've found the trick to getting really nice rifles is to just wait on BSA to tire of them and put them up for sale. wink

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I've found the trick to getting really nice rifles is to just wait on BSA to tire of them and put them up for sale. wink

BSA, When are you going to sell that .375?

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
HEY! I have dibs on that .375 H&H!! smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Yes, you have dibs, but I don't think I'll ever sell that one. Kind of like the 30-06 fwt that EricM has dibs on laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I'm glad you like that EW. I thought it would be the perfect match for you. Are you still thinking of cerakoting it or has the stainless grown on you a little??

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I just realized something. I haven't shot my 30-06's since I got my pre 64 270 fwt shocked..What's up with that???

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't even own a 06 whats up with that

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Yes, you have dibs, but I don't think I'll ever sell that one. Kind of like the 30-06 fwt that EricM has dibs on laugh
You never know,my friend,stranger things have happened. wink laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I just realized something. I haven't shot my 30-06's since I got my pre 64 270 fwt shocked..What's up with that???
Get it shooting up to snuff yet?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Not up to my standards yet...:

Here's 2 different loads I shot the other day just before leaving the range. It was starting to rain on my azz so I fired off 15 shots. The last shot opened the 10 shot group up to 1.40". It's coming around and the Zeiss seems to be working better than the old Burris I had on it...:

[Linked Image]

9 shots of the last 10 were "sub MOA".

I'm kicking around the idea of full length bedding it like I did my CZ550 American 9.3x62mm. That rifle shoots pretty good wink

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Schit,looks like that's the one for that rifle!

Curious have you tried H-4831 with the 150 gr NP?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Not yet. I really should, but am down to 2 pounds. I still have 7 pounds of IMR 4350, so I'm saving the H blush. I really should load some up with H4831 and see how she likes that powder with the 150's...A buddy has a lot of H4831, but I don't want to ask about it as he's already helped me out tremendously with 348 win brass and 338 win mag brass.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I understand,when you buy some more I think it's on par with H-4831 & 130 gr NP's. They go together like apples & cinnamon,peaches & cream,democrats & lying. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not yet. I really should, but am down to 2 pounds. I still have 7 pounds of IMR 4350, so I'm saving the H blush. I really should load some up with H4831 and see how she likes that powder with the 150's...A buddy has a lot of H4831, but I don't want to ask about it as he's already helped me out tremendously with 348 win brass and 338 win mag brass.

Hell you unloaded all those 140gr BTSP last year that is one hell of a bullet. 58.5gr H4831 and the 140gr shoots very well. My rifle is not bedded I need to get it bedded I know it will shoot alot better. So BSA send me your address i have soem rifles to send your way. I can get you to AK and on a bear stand if you want to shoot a bear smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

Hell you unloaded all those 140gr BTSP last year that is one hell of a bullet. 58.5gr H4831 and the 140gr shoots very well. My rifle is not bedded I need to get it bedded I know it will shoot alot better. So BSA send me your address i have soem rifles to send your way. I can get you to AK and on a bear stand if you want to shoot a bear smile

Dang you have a good memory. laugh...I didn't think I'd use the 140's. BobinNH said there's only 1 bullet for the 270: The 130gr. Nosler partition laugh...Bear hunting in AK would be so COOL!!! I'd probably take my 9.3x62mm though.. sick

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe if you live in NH smile

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are serious let me know I'm headed up hopefully this year to go do some bou hunting on the north slope, as a AK resident I can shoot 5 caribou up on the north slope. Next yr I might be sitting in Kuwait for 6 months.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
All this talk about push feeds made me pull my M70 out and look at it. I think it is a Stealth model it was finished flat black in a synthetic black stock with the Winchester W in the forearm ser#G257xxxx. I think it is also a CRPF. The Caliber is 30-06 I bought it for a donor rifle and haven't shot it yet, they say you shouldn't shoot the donor so it has been sitting in the safe waiting for a new barrel. The barrel that's on it looks like new and has seen very few rounds threw it. The plastic stock didn't have a mark on it. I picked it up off GB for $280.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
If you are serious let me know I'm headed up hopefully this year to go do some bou hunting on the north slope, as a AK resident I can shoot 5 caribou up on the north slope. Next yr I might be sitting in Kuwait for 6 months.

Swing by and pick me up before you leave laugh cool. You know where I live...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Get it shooting up to snuff yet?

elkunternm, this was from the other day with the old scope on it and when it was in the wood stock. This is a 130gr nosler partition load I tried in it. I've since upped the charge to 60gr to achieve 3000 fps. Groups are around an inch or a hair over.:
[Linked Image]

I still need to shoot it with the new Leupold DD's. I'm contemplating putting a set of DD's on my new XTR's fwt as well, but the screws are virgin and the top of the receiver is so pretty right now laugh. I also think I'm going to glass bed this XTR. To hell with it. The bedding is lacking as far as I'm concerned and I know overtime it will just get worse. It will end up looking like my pre 64 270 fwt bedding:

[Linked Image]

Do you guys think I should start a new thread on bedding the Winchester model 70?

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Yes

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Great looking pushfeed! Great chambering too.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks buddy. I'm hoping it shoots as good as the round top I sold to you. That was a damn good rifle...Have you kilt anything with it yet??

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm glad you like that EW. I thought it would be the perfect match for you. Are you still thinking of cerakoting it or has the stainless grown on you a little??

Think I am going to keep it as is. The blued classic I'm working on might go to birdsong for their black T but that is a whole other project I still need to start loading for and shooting my EW more! Literally fired 5 rounds before season to ensure zero and then carried it all season. It put the 180gr partition just where I wanted it to take my deer. Looking forward to carrying it again this year!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You mean you planned on shooting thru the 2x4 laugh.. Matt, do you think a 270 win with a 150 gr partition would shoot thru a 2x4 and still drt a deer or elk smirk ??

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Partitions WAY over penetrate on 2x4's wink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's a good thing, cause I just bought 200 more of these:

http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosl...r-partition-spitzer-blem-50ct-11344.html

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Thanks buddy. I'm hoping it shoots as good as the round top I sold to you. That was a damn good rifle...Have you kilt anything with it yet??

Killed a doe with it here in NC.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Awesome buddy. I was probably out of my mind for letting that cool tanger go. But I'm glad it went to a good guy...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
That's saaawwwweeeetttt! Even though it's not a Pre '64. wink grin

Last edited by elkhunternm; 05/03/14.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks buddy. I finally got a chance to shoot it yesterday right along side the pre 64 270 fwt. The XTR functions very well and shot almost as good as the pre 64. I'm still working on developing loads for the XTR, but it seemed to like the pre 64's 150gr. nosler partition load well enough. I wish I would have brought more along to try in the rifle blush. I thought I'd try some H4831 in it, but the IMR did better. Strangly enough, the pre likes the IMR 4350 better too.....Strange, I know. But what do you do?? :

This isn't great grouping from the XTR, but looks promising:
[Linked Image]

Wind was picking up, so the load development wasn't as good as I had hoped for. Here's one group shot with the H4831sc:
[Linked Image]

Working with new Winchester brass too. Next time out, I'll run the same loadings and see what happens. I'll also try some once fired brass thru this rifle now. Keep in mind the barrel is still in it's "break in" phase too. Also, first 3 shots in every group measured less than 1" (closer to 3/4": Used the orange dot as a reference). 5 shot groups are fired 1 right after the other and most times between wind gusts (if and when possible)...

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
BSA,what's the speed on the 54.5 gr H-4831 load?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Don't know: Don't care. Max is 55gr. in the Nosler load manual. My 53.5gr. IMR 4350 load runs 2,800 fps in the pre 64 fwt. I'll chrono the best grouping load when I get there... wink

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
In my FN Mauser I'm using 56.0 grs with the same powder and bullet,different primer,it's a CCI 250 and it's getting almost 2900 fps with a 22" barrel.

Every load I shoot is over a chronograph. For instance,the .338 RUM I have,I wanted 3000 fps with a 250 gr bullet. So,I start with H-1000 and 250 gr Sierra GK's. Looking in the Sierra manual I start with this load 97.0,98.0 and finally the book max 99.0. Used Rem 9 1/2 Mag primers. The very first 3 shots averaged 3001 fps,the max is 3000 fps. So,what I did is go home and pulled the others,because the next loads were going to be over the max in pressure.

BSA,the chrono is your best friend,it'll tell you if you can add powder or if you have too much.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What, you don't use an Oehler 43 strain gauge system or piezoelectric transducer for checking chamber pressures? Probably don't believe in crushing copper either. I don't blame you. wink...

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Kinda hard to pack those up and set them up outside. Besides I've already shot two chrono's and doing my best not to make it three. wink smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Now that is funny. I can kind of relate. Mine is an ooooooooold pro chrono that you have to shoot thru the small hole in the cardboard. It distracts my group shooting, especially when I can see the holes in the cardboard and the glance mark from a bullet that skimmed the case from its previous owner. Then there's the erratic readings it gets sometimes that [bleep] up my train of thought. My buddy has a nice new one that tells you the velocity, standard deviation, extreme spread and all the other horse chit associated. Mine just gives the velocity and occasional "err" reading. My friend shot some of my 300 wsm loads thru his the other day and got a standard deviation of 9.14. He said he was just curious as to how consistent my load was because he had never shot a 3/4" 3 shot group from the sitting position before. Like always, I try not to sweat the small stuff wink

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
BSA,I've owned a chrono since IIRC Spring/Summer 1995. The first one I shot was IIRC a Pro Chrono,the second was a PACT,shot the screens but still have the display unit.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
BSA, Dibs on the XTR when you get ready to sell it. grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'll make a mental note buddy. It sure is a sweet heart of a rifle. The action is buttery smooth: Feeding and extraction is perfect. Hard not to like these XTR's. Now I know what Ingwe was talking about. blush

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I shot the .257 twin to that rifle today so it is no longer NIB either.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I shot the .257 twin to that rifle today so it is no longer NIB either.

Rollin laugh...You know the thought did cross my mind...Hell, they were made to be used!!! blush

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 3,269 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,319
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.