Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I am 54,have cataracts .
I have heard that there were drops that would get rid of cataracts.
Anyone used them ?how did they work?
Do they work or is surgery the only real way to get rid of cataracts?

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Surgery is the only effective treatment for cataracts. Other measures can lessen the severity of the symptoms.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had cataracts for 10 years before my right eye turned yellow and we did the surgery route.

left eye is still a small white dot.

Surgery is the only solution for cataracts.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had surgery on both eyes and corrective implants placed. I slept through both procedures and the drive home from Montgomery. No, I was not driving. Even stopped for lunch at a Waffle House and don't remember a thing. Piece of cake. smile

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Well thats about what I thought ,Guess I was just hopeing something as simple as drops would work .
What are the approximate cost to having cataracts removed from both eyes?
I dont have insurance so I will have to pay cash.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depending on who you use.

On average, straightforward cataract surgery in the United States would cost you about $3,429 per eye if you paid for everything yourself, according to a 2012 report commissioned by AllAboutVision.com from a leading industry analyst. (In 2010 the average was about $3,279, and in 2011 it was $2,699.)

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had the Cataracts in both eyes when I was 37 years old, Had double eye surgery when I was 40, that was 19 years ago, I see 20/20. The surgery was not much of a problem. he did one eye at a time and no problems. I see better now than I ever did.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I very recently saw an ad on TV saying there's a new way to deal with cataracts... with laser surgery. Claims are that it is more "precise" and "accurate" with less healing time and less chance of a "mistake".

I guess eye surgeons who use a laser never make any mistakes, eh? grin

I've never heard of any "drops" that will remove the hazy/cloudy film from the eye's lens, but there may be something "new" out there... there's new stuff comin' up all the time now. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Bwana338
Depending on who you use.

On average, straightforward cataract surgery in the United States would cost you about $3,429 per eye if you paid for everything yourself, according to a 2012 report commissioned by AllAboutVision.com from a leading industry analyst. (In 2010 the average was about $3,279, and in 2011 it was $2,699.)

Goodness gracious .
cant afford that.
Guess I will just live with it.
Thanks to all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife had both eyes done a couple of months ago at Aiello Eye Clinic in Yuma AZ, topnotch place. Got the lens that corrects for all distances. A little over 5K for the whole thing. We will be paying on it for a couple of years, but worth every penny.

Last edited by jnyork; 04/13/14.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i had it done to both eyes, around 1997 after onset of diabetes.
I couldn't see the large signs on an interstate. Prior to the operation, i had about 20/800 nearsighted.
After corrective lens implants i went to around 20/20. Best money i ever spent.
Scared to death on the first one, when completed i realized i had never seen the world. Second, was a nothing.
Money really well spent. about 5k for both of them

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Facing the same conundrum. Trying to find a quack that will install a laser rangefinder in the left eye and integrate it with a FDC module implant.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had my right one done when I was 19.

8penny nail punched my pupil.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
watched my wife get this surgery done because she was not a good candidate for Lazik.....simple surgery not that expensive when you consider what a good pair of glasses cost......prep for the surgery took alot longer than the surgery itself....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yep. If you have really bad refractive error of the eye it is now legal to do clear lens exchange with intra ocular lens implant which is the same sx as is now done for cataract sx. An appropriate lens implant power can restore good vision without spectacles.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had cataract surgery about 3 1/2 years ago with the multi focal lens implants in each eye. As of about 60 days ago, I am wearing glasses for driving or other distance viewing. Same thing for my wife and roughly same amount of time between her surgery and needing glasses.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
All these nifty surgeries to correct our vision are great. I had a lens implant in each eye that had vision correction. The surgeon would not do the laser correction until I had the lenses implanted. My pupil dilated too wide (8mm) and he was concerned that glare would become a problem for me. The lenses corrected some of the bad vision and each lens had an anti-reflective coating added. Then I had each eye corrected by laser surgery. What the Doc won't tell you is your eyes will change, for the worse, and you'll need a "tune up" laser correction. That's it though. You only get two bites at that apple. After the initial surgery my vision was 20-15. That lasted about 6 months after which my vision deteriorated to 20-20. I had 20-20 for about a year. Six years after the surgery my vision in one eye was 20-40 and 20-50 in the other eye. I opted for the one "tune-up". He got me back to 20-20 for about a year. Now, 8 years since the first surgery and I need glasses again. I guess I'll never need to worry about cataract surgery. I don't know if the additional lens implant is available to me. But, even then, eventually my eyes will degrade.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eyeball
Yep. If you have really bad refractive error of the eye it is now legal to do clear lens exchange with intra ocular lens implant which is the same sx as is now done for cataract sx. An appropriate lens implant power can restore good vision without spectacles.

she was something like 20/2000 before the surgery.....Lazik or the other one, PRK?, would have had to remove to much material and healing time would have been close to a year to stabilize if it ever did.....which would be very bad given she is prone to migraines.....plus they would remove enough tissue that a "blow out" akin to a bubble in a tire was possible and then the only solution would be cornea transplants eek so the lens replacement was by far the best and safest choice plus had the shortest healing time.....she had to get reading glasses a handful of years before she normally would but thats about it.....due to the migraines they decided not to do two different corrective powers(one eye for close up, one for far) or the flexible lenses that will accommodate some what...she is now 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other

Last edited by rattler; 04/14/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by JimR
I had cataract surgery about 3 1/2 years ago with the multi focal lens implants in each eye. As of about 60 days ago, I am wearing glasses for driving or other distance viewing. Same thing for my wife and roughly same amount of time between her surgery and needing glasses.

Yep, as time goes by, skin thins and eyes change, among other things.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by eyeball
Yep, as time goes by, skin thins and eyes change, among other things.

...ya need spacers on the toilet seat to keep "the boys" dry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (257 mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 17 invisible), 1,718 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,810
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.