Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I really never understood why parents have to name their kids something "distinctive", or spell it differently than has been traditionally done for generations...

Black folks do it, but then again, I rack that up to a racial identity crisis... as my son so eloquently puts it, "its people who want to be different than everybody else... just like everybody else..."

Case in point, I was taking part of the Scout Council's Annual Merit Badge workshop they hold each year at Spring Break...I've done this for 10 plus years....teaching Eagle Required Merit Badges...

each year it never fails...these are kids from parents who are either second generation hippies with grandma and grandpa first generation hippies...always are openly democrats and Obama Voters.... you see them pick up their kids most of the time in a Prius or a Subaru...

I teach 4 classes each year... the two winners of the Hippie Kid Name this year are:

Timmeee.. yes with 3 "E"s... one parent is a psychologist from the Bay Area.. folks are divorced.. mom's milking dad for all she can get... kids so zoned out on mood modification drugs its ridiculous... I read his name off as 'Time' from the registration list...which he slowly responds, in a drug fuelled fog... that's Timmy man.. not time...17 years old..and future democrat...

The number one winner, lives out in the area of the county where there are tons of hippies, that have been there from the 60s.... much more normal kid than "Time"... 15 year old, that seem pretty well grounded...

from the registration list, I had to ask how to pronounce his name...pretty straight forward, but you'd never think a parent would name or spell their kid's name like this...

ToeKne.. so I spelled it out and asked whose name was it... this boy raises his hand.. I was expecting maybe he was some sort of immigrant or something.. he responds "here"...

I asked him how to pronounce his name.... He responds "Tony"...

kinda reminds ya of that old Johnny Cash song.. A Boy Named Sue, don't it...

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang, I guess I'm old school naming our daughter Lauren Lee.

Sme of the names nowadays are way past crazy but hey, it's not my kid.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just don't see Scouting and being judgmental going hand in hand..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I still say that little colored girl had the most distinctive name. La-A

Pronounced LaDasha. The dash is NOT silent. laugh

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

laffin'

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Intelligence is largely genetic.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I chose a fine name for my 1st daughter. They even made her a nice 1911 and put her name on it. Kimber will appreciate it when she gets a little older.

Keep Smiling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

I think that goes

The dash don't be silent.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's just bad to have a name like that and have poor customer service skills.

My wife was given an attitude at Target. She asked for the manager and tried to read the name tag.

"Shade", it read.

My wife referred to her by name and said Shade.

The girl corrected her and said, it's "shaw-day"...

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I just don't see Scouting and being judgmental going hand in hand..

If I said you were really a great guy... you'd find a reason to argue with me over that also....but then, you're from Orange County, so I can see where none of this would be an issue for you...

but since you refer to the Campfire as the Freak Show, what are you doing here anyway?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Seafire
...folks are divorced.. mom's milking dad for all she can get...

That's redundant.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
It's just bad to have a name like that and have poor customer service skills.

My wife was given an attitude at Target. She asked for the manager and tried to read the name tag.

"Shade", it read.

My wife referred to her by name and said Shade.

The girl corrected her and said, it's "shaw-day"...

At least she wasn't "Shih-teed" spelled $hithead.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guilty. I named my daughter with a classic first name, but gave her the middle name Rebekka. At least few people see it, and no one mispronounces it.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
[Linked Image]

This is the first thing that came to mind when I saw "Timeee."

I can't also help but think of the episode of "Always Sunny in Philadelphia" when the bar was named after a lady called "Shadynasty." Depending on how you read it, can be Sha-Dynasty or Shady-Nasty.

I'm all for a unique name, especially since kids nowadays will grow up using social media and web-searching for everything. A unique name like Sansa Smith could certainly help your kid get found in a job search versus Sarah Smith. When you start abusing elementary school spelling basics though, that's crossing the line.

On the flip side of this, I do know of a person whose parents chose to customize the spelling of her rather generic name (Emelay, or something like that). She got fed up of everyone misspelling it (or actually just spelling it the traditional way), so she legally changed it to the traditional spelling, Emily.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My boys are named Will and Wade. Pernounced wheel and wahday. Mostly by spanish speaking folks.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the longest time, I thought my name was Dammit Boy.

My Dad was always asking me "Dammit Boy, what are you going to do next"?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Reminds me of the story of twins born to a black family. The Uncle was allowed to name them.

When asked what he named the girl....he said "Denice". That's very pretty, what about the boy.....he said "Denephew".

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I prefer old names. My daughters name is Lillian.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TexasRick
Reminds me of the story of twins born to a black family. The Uncle was allowed to name them.

When asked what he named the girl....he said "Denice". That's very pretty, what about the boy.....he said "Denephew".

grin

I like that!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Oranjello comes to mind. From all I can gather, it's an ethnic name, given after a midnight visit by Bill Cosby, maybe.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 62 invisible), 3,012 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,490
Posts18,471,914
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.