Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MYore Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
$925 Shipped from my FFL to your FFL, Cashiers Check, USPS MO, Credit Card +3%

Disclaimer: by saying "I'll take it", you are also saying you have seen the pictures at the link and read the condition stated below fully.

A cool old pre-64 Winchester Model 70 with a story to tell...

It's story starts in 1948, from my research on the serial number. Then there is a big gap in that story until our paths crossed last year.

The only known history of this rifle begins in a local pawn shop. I saw something I slightly recognized, but thought to myself, No. God, No. Noooooo. Please don't let it be... What I saw was a rifle that resembled what you are seeing in the pictures, except the stock was painted with a thick layer of calf-scour yellow textured paint. I picked it up and realized it only got better. It seems Mr. "hold my beer while I paint this rifle" also had a puppy, and that puppy liked the taste of paint chips mixed with fine walnut.

Owing this rifle a better home, I made them an offer and ended up taking it home. I was more up for a challenge back then without so much paying work lined up. The first quest was to see if there was anything under the paint worth saving. I started on the buttstock, stripping the paint off and what I immediately saw made me keep going, removing that hideous stuff the best I could. This is where I am really holding back not typing what I was yelling in the shop that night. How could anybody look at that piece of walnut and say to them self "I need to go to Home Depot and get some of that textured paint." Bubba, if you are reading this, you need help. You've obviously painted a few too many stocks without a respirator. Set that can down and back away.

So what was left is what you see. The stock was stripped down to the walnut, with significant success, but there is some evidence of the paint in the wood grain and checkering. I then sanded it back to a smooth finish and did a hand rubbed Tung oil finish. The result is nice, except for some paint residue in the checkering and the dog's damage. Obviously, this isn't going to impress the serious collector.

The metal, surprisingly, is in much better shape. Bubba's dad must have had some oil and a bit of sense! There was a bit of surface rust on one spot on the barrel, but it cleaned up well. The bolt and action are in good shape and have matching numbers. The bore is nice and clean. The rear sight is missing. The front sight is in tact but does not have the hood. The recoil pad that was on it wasn't original, and was dried up and cracked like many of the old ones are and is probably now being chewed on by a coyote at the landfill. The Redfield base and rings are included, but the ring cap screws got the best Bubba could give them as well. I think one is even missing. So, there you have it: the best explanation and honest representation of this thing I can give.

I am presenting this rifle as a shooter grade pre-64, chambered for the old faithful .30 Gov't 06 Cartridge. How cool is that roll mark??? You get the smile from hunting with a classic rifle and a classic cartridge, but if you slide down a canyon wall with it, you are probably going to worry about the blood coming from the back of your head more than another ding on the stock. All it really needs to go on a hunt this fall is the recoil pad of your choice. Alternatively, you are buying a barreled action to put in a stock with less teeth marks, or an action for your next custom.

I have not fired this rifle, so can not speak about how it shoots. Why? I never decided what to do for a recoil pad. Speaking of that, I can install the one of choice for the buyer before I ship it if desired.

For the too long, didn't read crowd: Winchester made a cool gun. Bubba's dad took good care of it. Bubba tried, but just couldn't resist seeing what it would look like painted. Bubba's son traded it for meth money. I rescued it and tried my best to restore it. You can buy it and take it hunting again.

Many, many more pictures here showing everything mentioned.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
how is the bore? Action function smoothly? Can we see the bolt face.

thanks

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Oh the humanity!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I can't believe you didn't take before and after pictures!!!

Seriously, you did a nice job...looks good.

Free bump for a nice rifle needing a good home...wish I could!

yar Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The puppy chew marks are totally repairable and clean up the checkering and you have a very nice 70 .

IC B2

M
MYore Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by hikerbum
how is the bore? Action function smoothly? Can we see the bolt face.

thanks

The bore is nice and clean. There are pictures of the bolt in the link above. The action smoothness, is typical of old craftmanship (nice). Careful, you are going to talk me out of selling it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, when I was at the shop yesterday I thought you said you were going to list this as factory original, unshot, unboxed?!

Good seller here!

Tanner

M
MYore Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by fgold767
I can't believe you didn't take before and after pictures!!!

Seriously, you did a nice job...looks good.

Free bump for a nice rifle needing a good home...wish I could!

Thanks for the compliments. I swear I took before pictures, but I can't find them. Want me to re paint it? wink I did hold back from Cerakoting it...

M
MYore Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by yar
The puppy chew marks are totally repairable and clean up the checkering and you have a very nice 70 .

I build precision rifles and usually don't mess with wood. I know my limits and didn't want to be the next Bubba on this. I think you are right though, some skilled hands on this stock could at least get the checkering clean and sharp. The teeth marks were just sanded smoother. That area does look a lot better than Rex left it.

M
MYore Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Tanner
Man, when I was at the shop yesterday I thought you said you were going to list this as factory original, unshot, unboxed?!

Good seller here!

Tanner

Nah, I must have been talking about the Browning BPR .22mag or Winchester 21 I will be listing soon? How is that for a tease?

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Fellow I am truly Winchester Poor and doing my best to not hit the ITI buttons as I have 3 on way to FFL 4 or 5 to clean up a couple 3 to restock or refinish ,were my plate not full I would be all over this one, so Bump for a great , 06 govt, very best WinPoor

yar Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't sand out the dog bites, rather fill them with brown dyed acraglss then sand down to original contour . Chemical strip the checkering with stiff bristle detail brush and repoint where needed. You will lose to much wood sanding it out. In stock work you really want to avoid loosing existing wood . Easy fix

Last edited by yar; 04/14/14.
yar Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Of course you probably won't gain any dollar value ,just wood sell easier.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Brown dyed acraglss, I see now what was on my parker..

yar Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a freind that passed away some years ago that did stock work he did a Marlin that cracked at the wrist and when he was done you couldn't tell where it was damaged. Seemed easy enough. I'm not sure how he made it match the rest of stock.

M
MYore Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
evening bump

M
MYore Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
A lot of looks and no takers... How about $875 shipped?

M
MYore Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
lunch bump,
Offers?

M
MYore Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
make me an offer

M
MYore Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
bump

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,071
Posts18,482,609
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.