Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Take a look at the Kubota L3800 if you're sure you want to add a backhoe later. You should be able to get that tractor for the price you mentioned. I priced them a year ago and it was under what you've listed with a bushhog included and 0% financing for 5 years. That was the non-hystostat model (+ $ for the hydrostat). I ended up going with a Deere 3038 mainly because it was several thousand cheaper with a better package deal and 0% for 5 years....to get the 0% on the Kubota it automatically added $2000 to the price.... With the Deere there was no aftermarket backhoe attachment (at that time) and the loader was non-removable, neither of these were an issue for me.

I recommend 4x4 and hydrostat no matter what you get, but your place may be a lot different than mine. I've got uneven ground on much of it and wet weather, pond banks, etc. It's a trade off on light weight vs heavy weight on some of these things. For my use I went with light weight and I'm really happy with it. I've been really pleased with the tractor and I've moved a lot of dirt with it and done a lot of bushhogging. After a year and a half I'd not change the one I purchased, but everybody's got different uses/needs and what is great for me may suck for you.

Visit some of the tractor sites. I did a lot of research and the tractor talk forums can tell you a lot learning from other people's mistakes and good choices.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/li...OHN+DEERE&Mdltxt=4310&mdlx=exact

The 4310 will do anything you need done and at your price range. I have the next model down - 4210 - and it's been a true workhorse.. You won't regret it.

dang Lee, if you'll personally deliver it to my door, I'll take it!

would love to have one of those small tractors

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
I'd be looking for a Kubota MX5000 like this; LINK

Ed

never mind Lee, Ed is gonna drive this one up to my house!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your land is flat, you may want to look at a bigger 2wd tractor. You spend a lot more for 4wd and you may not need it. This would allow you the $ to get a loader. I personally would rather have 4wd and hydrostatic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
$20k can get a nice *used* 4x4 with loader.

if you plan on using the loader to move stuff alot then 4x4 for sure.

shuttle shift with a loader for sure.

and remember what ever you get you'll wish you got a size larger.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MColeman
If you lease him the pens be prepared for a stench! Big tiime!

I can handle the smell, I grew up around feedlots and sale barns my whole life. My wife and daughter is the big?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm a little underwhelmed with my regional Kubota regional "Support", and get alla' my Kubota parts and pieces out of Texas.

.....string of outlets running under the OLD name of Ewald Tractor,.....I reckon they've been in Seguin forever, and well into a second gen show,.....CLASSY service from the original vendors of my older Kubota unit. They had the original owner's complete file, and They treat me as though I'd bought it new, yesterday.

A WELL maintained good used Kubota ( or perhaps a different MFG), from this particular outfit might be well worth a look.

New, used, or totally worn out, you NEED support from a legitimate and professional depot.

I can tell ya' the one in Tucson ain't it.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I don't know where you live, but for $20K, you should be able to find a nice package. Here are some prices from a JD dealer.

JD Packages

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Toddly
If your land is flat, you may want to look at a bigger 2wd tractor. You spend a lot more for 4wd and you may not need it. This would allow you the $ to get a loader. I personally would rather have 4wd and hydrostatic.
Trust me on this - IF you get a 2WD you'll kick yerself in the arse ten times a day.. laugh laugh

I guess there are valid pros/cons re: gears vs. hydrostat. The dealer tried to talk me into hydrostat and I wanted gears. I won. LOT less cost to fix if/when something goes TU..

FWIW, I found out a year or two later that the shop was kept busy fixin' hydros and rarely had a gears compact in for any trans work. YMMV..

On the link I provided, note that a few of those came with loader AND backhoe. 1000 hours is nothin' on those.. The 4310 has a bigger hydraulic capacity than my 4210, but - for my uses - that's never been an issue.

Good luck with whatever the OP gets..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wouldn't touch hydrostats with a barge pole.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Shuttle is the only way to go. I have that on my 95/40 Kubota 4wd.

Last edited by jwp475; 04/14/14.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Experience with neighbors around me, the most common repair bill is for the Hydrostatic and it's expensive.
Most all have the John Deere

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I believe that I have a shuttle shift instead of hydrostatic. No problems what so ever and I highly recommend it with a loader.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hydros cost more in fuel and lose a little horsepower to the ground. If you do alot of loader work Hydros are amazing,no shuttleing or clutching and a pleasure to work.

JD had a few bad Hydro systems, Kubota, LS, NH, and Mahindra seldom have a problem. I've heard of more problems with people burning clutches and ripping teeth of of gears than having Hydro trouble. If you are a gear guy, nobody will change your mind. If you are open to it take a Hydro for a spin, I love them.

LS make a hell of a tractor with a 5 year warranty, for a lot less than the big brands. I'm looking at a R3039 right now and it's right at $22K with loader. LS made all the NH Boomers in the last few years and all the Montana Tractors, they are built like a tank.

One thing for sure, buy a size or 2 bigger than you think you will need. Tractors shrink as soon as you get them home.

Try to get a Tier 3 tractor, the Tier 4 have a bunch of emissions crap on them that I personally don't like.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Don't know what they cost, but bobcat has tractors now.

Edit

Found a site and 2-4 year old are asking just over $20k for the 40hp version. 5-7 yr old are about 1/2 to 2/3 of that.

Last edited by driggy; 04/14/14.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bobcat got out of the tractor business a few years ago, theirs were made by Kioti.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Skip the compact wannabe tractor and get a 5000 series Deere. A slightly bigger tractor, more torque & hp and heavier for loader work and can do more with it, option-wise.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
If I were to get a 2wd I'd have to double the HP at a minimum. Redneck thanks for the link, but none of them are very close to me. I won't buy a used tractor off of pictures alone, and then I imagine shipping across country could get expensive.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dad picked up a new Massey 1705 (22hp) 4wd. He got a snowblower, brush hog, and a bucket for 17k.

It's not bad, something bigger would be nice but it works. I haven't been the nicest on it and it still works just fine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haters gonna hate. I have a soft spot for deere. Zero problems on any of them.
Enjoy the photos.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,404
Posts18,470,164
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.