Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I talk with lots, and I mean lots of photographers and one thing that comes up often is depth of field. DOF, or depth of field, is one of the most misunderstood aspects of photography. Photography should be fun but we tend to over think things. People talk about Hyperfocal distance and diffraction and how they affect photos. Hyperfocal distance is simply at what point you can focus on a close object while keeping the background in focus. As you increase your focal length it becomes harder to achieve because of the compression of a longer lens. A wide angle lens gives you more depth of field because of the decompression effect. I don�t pay much attention to the whole idea when I am out shooting landscape stuff. I find the closest thing in the frame I want to be in focus and while stopping down the lens adjust it until it goes out of focus and then back it up a little to make sure it is sharp. I don�t care as much if something off in the distance is out of focus, the mind can accept that.

When shooting macro work or wildlife, it makes a bigger difference. Too little in focus can take away from your subject by making it fuzzy. Too much in focus can take away from the subject by creating distractions or changing the mood of the photo. I recommend experimenting until it becomes second nature to decide on a proper DOF.

Below are some examples of a macro shot with different depth of field settings (f-stops). The lower the f-stop the more shallow the depth of field, the larger the number the more that is in focus. With the Tamron SP 180mm f3.5 Di 1:1 Macro lens I used the range of the photos start at f3.5 and go up to f22.

Now is a great time to get the equipment that you will use this summer and fall into your bag and get familiar with it. Tamron is running some great rebates currently. There is currently a $70 rebate on the Tamron 18-270mm Di-II VC PZD lens. There are $100 rebates on the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 Di VC USD lens, the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 Di VC USD lens, and the Tamron SP 70-300 Di USD lens. Give Joel at Camera Land a call to get your lens ordered today! As always let him know you are a member of the Campfire.

f3.5
[Linked Image]

f5.6
[Linked Image]

f8
[Linked Image]

f11
[Linked Image]

f16
[Linked Image]

f22
[Linked Image]

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Great Post.

Very often an afterthought or even forgotten how important it is...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great post! Just this afternoon I was trying to get some shots of the flowers in the snow and couldn't seem to come up with a decent depth of field.

Now, you have made it clear what I need to do! I knew it, but I forgot it when I went to digital cameras.

Thanks,
Ken

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond! I try and do this a couple of times each year because it is easy to get used to a certain f-stop and keep using it.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
When you're as green as I am, these types of posts are always very much appreciated!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I will try to do more on a regular basis, thanks!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 42 invisible), 2,293 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,397
Posts18,470,010
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.