-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Must be your lawyering skills, here I was starting with what I presume is the Taylor Grazing Act itself....

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/43/315

Only time payment for cancelled grazing leases is specified in that section was when the military takes over the land. Interestingly, one cannot take over another's grazing permit unless you pay the previous guy the fair value of any improvements they may have made. Didn't find anything about buying and selling of permits between private individuals.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Irregardless of whether or not Cliven Bundy was in the wrong, the BLMs reaction and response was uncalled for and totally out of line. Excessive force come to mind. And the people's reaction to that use of force, was fully justified.

Why did the federal government feel the need to send in 200 armed agents, impose airspace restrictions, and implement "First Amendment Zones"?

Go on and take a good long hard look through the keyhole and stare Tyranny in the face boys and girls, because it just showed up at our door, big as sheit.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Irregardless of whether or not Cliven Bundy was in the wrong, the BLMs reaction and response was uncalled for and totally out of line. Excessive force come to mind. And the people's reaction to that use of force, was fully justified.
==============

I agree completely.

The dynamic was litigated in 2 Federal courts and 1 appellate court and enforcement should have remained in the courts,as I expect it will now.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by FOsteology

Why did the federal government feel the need to send in 200 armed agents, impose airspace restrictions, and implement "First Amendment Zones"?

Go on and take a good long hard look through the keyhole and stare Tyranny in the face boys and girls, because it just showed up at our door, big as sheit.
THAT THAT THAT --- in a nutshell!!!!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wait till you see what the reaction is the next time your yorkie pisses on a fire hydrant.

IC B2

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
After my failed attempts to get them to fetch tennis balls tossed onto the Interstate, they are now back with my daughters.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by isaac
After my failed attempts to get them to fetch tennis balls tossed onto the Interstate, they are now back with my daughters.

LMAO...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We got owls. And no dogs smaller than 20 pounds.

Coincidence?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Damnit, Bob, I think it's your url line that's screwing up my window!

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by FOsteology

BS. Everyone knows all the hundreds of ranchers the Feds have kicked off our federal lands is because the worthless freeloaders haven't been paying their fees. crazy wink

Last edited by eyeball; 04/15/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Didn't notice it till you pointed it out, Tom. I apologize and will edit.

William Arthur Ward

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

It's all better now. Thanks. And no need to apologize.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Originally Posted by Snyper
It has been stated that the BLM subsequently sold that allotment for $350,000.

So that means the allotment was worth about two thousand three hundred thirty three dollars per head.

What did the BLM pay the Bundy ranch when they took away the greater portion of that allotment?

By my calculations they should have payed the Bundys just a bit over a million bucks.

All of the above is incorrect.
The actual amount was $375,000, but that was for ALL the outstanding allotments, and not Bundy's alone.

Since Bundy never "owned" anything, they owed him no money
In fact, he owes them 1.1 million in past due fees and penalties

That and much more misinformation is dispelled here:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...-now-about-the-nevada-rancher-situation/

Someone is extremely obtuse.

No one anywhere on this thread said anything about Bundy owning the LAND. Obviously he did not own the LAND. He owned the grazing ALLOTMENT permit. (specifically...the right to consume the forage upon that land)

That has nothing to do with owning or leasing the land. Another party might own prospecting rights to the exact same land, and all should have the right to hunt or recreate upon the exact same land. (Unless some dumb ass federal agency bars those rights as well.)

Grazing allotments permits, as has been mentioned before, get traded and sold between individuals all the time. They are actual property with real value. Just as a song, a book, a drug formula, or a computer program are property.

When the BLM barred Bundy from using 3/4 of that allotment 20 years ago (the ALLOTMENT permit for which he OWNED) they in reality seized over one million dollars of his property (to my best guess). And I have not found any mention that he was reimbursed for that loss.

My point is, that would put the fight into just about any individual.

Last edited by Idaho_Shooter; 04/15/14.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
=========

That is very true.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
=========

That is very true.

He is spot on with his post.

Do you see anything untrue about it?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Oh yeah...
===========

Bundy also claims that it his �right� to graze these BLM public lands. This is not the case. The Taylor Grazing Act of 1934 specifically states that the issuance of a grazing permit does not confer any right to graze or right to own the land. The Taylor Grazing Act is the granddaddy of the U.S. laws governing grazing on federal land. �Taylor� was a rancher and a congressman from Colorado, hardly someone to want government tyranny over ranching.

So far as consistent with the purposes and provisions of this subchapter, grazing privileges recognized and acknowledged shall be adequately safeguarded, but the creation of a grazing district or the issuance of a permit pursuant to the provisions of this subchapter shall not create any right, title, interest, or estate in or to the lands.

In Public Lands Council v. Babbitt the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the new grazing regulations promulgated by the Department of Interior under former Secretary of Interior Bruce Babbitt to conform to Federal Land Policy and Management Act of 1976 (FLPMA) and found:

The words �so far as consistent with the purposes . . . of this subchapter� and the warning that �issuance of a permit� creates no �right, title, interest or estate� make clear that the ranchers� interest in permit stability cannot be absolute; and that the Secretary is free reasonably to determine just how, and the extent to which, �grazing privileges� shall be safeguarded, in light of the Act�s basic purposes. Of course, those purposes include �stabiliz[ing] the livestock industry,� but they also include �stop[ping] injury to the public grazing lands by preventing overgrazing and soil deterioration,� and �provid[ing] for th[e] orderly use, improvement, and development� of the public range.

He has no �right� to graze it.

The federal courts have struck down every challenge Bundy has made about his claims, and has issued not one, but two, court orders to remove his trespass cattle. It�s not his land and he has no right to graze it.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh. Is THAT what he posted?

But to address YOUR post:

A family that settled and homesteaded and ranched that land abiding by all the rules and paying all the fees like they did, SHOULD have a reasonable expectation that he can continue to do so without molestation by radical environmental groups backed by big government.

Perhaps THAT is why this has gone so far and is such a mess.

Maybe the government does need to change things to give some assurances that the historical usage will not be taken away from folks?

That would keep the jackbooted thugs out of the picture too. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Must be your lawyering skills, here I was starting with what I presume is the Taylor Grazing Act itself....

Only time payment for cancelled grazing leases is specified in that section was when the military takes over the land. Interestingly, one cannot take over another's grazing permit unless you pay the previous guy the fair value of any improvements they may have made. Didn't find anything about buying and selling of permits between private individuals.

Birdwatcher,

I have no idea where it is spelled out in the law. But I can show you several instances where either BLM or USFS permits have been sold and purchased between individuals locally. All such transactions are monitored closely by the supervising agency.

I also know that some permits are put up for auction by the agencies occasionally. It made the news a few years ago when anti cow (supposed to be environmental groups) started bidding for and buying such permits. Then the grasses became over grown and our perennial fire problems became much worse.

The BLM had to start demanding a grazing plan before accepting bids for permits. The enviro/whackos screamed bloody murder at that development.

The ranchers make good use of the Taylor Grazing permits. And the range lands do actually need to be harvested. Since wild bison are far too destructive to be turned loose to do the job, it can be fairly stated that the range actually NEEDS the cows.

No other animal can do the job the bison used to do. The bison migrated across the continent grazing the green grasses as they moved from South to North in the spring and back in the fall.

Cattlemen put cows out to graze when grass is plentiful and move them over the range to keep them on good feed. When the range grass is properly harvested, they bring the cows into the feed lots and home pastures.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Oh yeah...
===========

Bundy also claims that it his �right� to graze these BLM public lands. This is not the case. The Taylor Grazing Act of 1934 specifically states that the issuance of a grazing permit does not confer any right to graze or right to own the land. The Taylor Grazing Act is the granddaddy of the U.S. laws governing grazing on federal land. �Taylor� was a rancher and a congressman from Colorado, hardly someone to want government tyranny over ranching.

So far as consistent with the purposes and provisions of this subchapter, grazing privileges recognized and acknowledged shall be adequately safeguarded, but the creation of a grazing district or the issuance of a permit pursuant to the provisions of this subchapter shall not create any right, title, interest, or estate in or to the lands.

In Public Lands Council v. Babbitt the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the new grazing regulations promulgated by the Department of Interior under former Secretary of Interior Bruce Babbitt to conform to Federal Land Policy and Management Act of 1976 (FLPMA) and found:

The words �so far as consistent with the purposes . . . of this subchapter� and the warning that �issuance of a permit� creates no �right, title, interest or estate� make clear that the ranchers� interest in permit stability cannot be absolute; and that the Secretary is free reasonably to determine just how, and the extent to which, �grazing privileges� shall be safeguarded, in light of the Act�s basic purposes. Of course, those purposes include �stabiliz[ing] the livestock industry,� but they also include �stop[ping] injury to the public grazing lands by preventing overgrazing and soil deterioration,� and �provid[ing] for th[e] orderly use, improvement, and development� of the public range.

He has no �right� to graze it.

The federal courts have struck down every challenge Bundy has made about his claims, and has issued not one, but two, court orders to remove his trespass cattle. It�s not his land and he has no right to graze it.

Once again, NOBODY said it was his land.

but the creation of a grazing district or the issuance of a permit pursuant to the provisions of this subchapter shall not create any right, title, interest, or estate in or to the lands.

It is not the LANDS to which we refer, it is the FORAGE upon those lands.

???????If the PERMIT is not property, how then can it be sold or traded between individuals? How can .gov auction it off?????

YES, .gov does have the right to withdraw the permit and resell it if one does not pay the proper fees each year. JUST as they will seize and sell your house if you do not pay your property taxes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Birdwatcher,

I have no idea where it is spelled out in the law. But I can show you several instances where either BLM or USFS permits have been sold and purchased between individuals locally. All such transactions are monitored closely by the supervising agency.

I also know that some permits are put up for auction by the agencies occasionally. It made the news a few years ago when anti cow (supposed to be environmental groups) started bidding for and buying such permits. Then the grasses became over grown and our perennial fire problems became much worse.

The BLM had to start demanding a grazing plan before accepting bids for permits. The enviro/whackos screamed bloody murder at that development.

The ranchers make good use of the Taylor Grazing permits. And the range lands do actually need to be harvested. Since wild bison are far too destructive to be turned loose to do the job, it can be fairly stated that the range actually NEEDS the cows.

No other animal can do the job the bison used to do. The bison migrated across the continent grazing the green grasses as they moved from South to North in the spring and back in the fall.

Cattlemen put cows out to graze when grass is plentiful and move them over the range to keep them on good feed. When the range grass is properly harvested, they bring the cows into the feed lots and home pastures.

The buying, selling, trading, inheriting, and splitting, or even changing the animal unit type or even subleasing the grazing permit for another's cattle goes on all the time. Too many times to count.
You can even retire the grazing permits for a given time and graze nothing on the land.

It is a common practice.

The rules vary by BLM district.

The grazing permit does indeed have real value... Unless the government takes it from you with the stroke of a pen. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 24 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,706
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.