-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bob, the point is that although you are an attorney, you must consider that fact that there may be areas outside your legal expertise, and furthermore, you must consider the possibility that others may actually have experience in such matters. If not with the professional law firms, then at least with feet on the ground, combined with dealing with this very type situation on varying levels.

Some of us may actually hold a small resemblance to being educated too. smile

And his 160 acres without the permit is worth about what the back bedroom in your house is worth without the rest of it thrown in.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh no Isaac seem to know all about the law. If you don't agree with him you are an Idiot. Just ask him. Has Bundy done everything correctly probably not. But I am pretty sure the Feds aren't going to make a move this big unless they have something to hold over someones head. Illegal guns "Ruby Ridge" Child endangerment "Waco".
That is why they make so many rules and make them so hard to figure out. That way they always have something to hold against you. They aren't going to pick on a guys that has a clean record and never done anything wrong.

Still doesn't mean the feds are right.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Excuse me. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Do you think you've made some point I haven't refuted?

I'm not aware of even one. I'll be happy to address any point you've made whereby you actually think you've proved me wrong about something but, you'll actually have to prove it rather than believe it because you posted it.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Experimental Stewardship Program
The Act directs the Secretary of Agriculture and the Secretary of the Interior to develop and implement an experimental program to provide incentives or rewards to holders of grazing permits and leases whose stewardship results in improved range conditions

(f) The term "range improvement" means any activity or program
on or relating to rangelands which is designed to improve production
of forage; change vegetative composition; control patterns of use;
provide water: stabilize soil and water conditions; and provide habitat
for livestock and wildlife. The term includes, but is not limited to. structures, treatment projects, and use of mechanical means to accomplish
the desired results.

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
Oh no Isaac seem to know all about the law. If you don't agree with him you are an Idiot. Just ask him. Has Bundy done everything correctly probably not. But I am pretty sure the Feds aren't going to make a move this big unless they have something to hold over someones head. Illegal guns "Ruby Ridge" Child endangerment "Waco".
That is why they make so many rules and make them so hard to figure out. That way they always have something to hold against you. They aren't going to pick on a guys that has a clean record and never done anything wrong.

Cmon, the welfare bitch owes over $1 million and got called on it. This ain't rocket surgery.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by isaac
Excuse me. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Do you think you've made some point I haven't refuted?

I'm not aware of even one. I'll be happy to address any point you've made whereby you actually think you've proved me wrong about something but, you'll actually have to prove it rather than believe it because you posted it.

You can refute them all day long. It doesn't make you right though.

But seriously, I have had about as much of this discussion as I want for awhile. I just pop in from time to time and clear up things like water rights and such as I see they may need a bit of clarification.

Have a good evening. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Cmon, the welfare bitch owes over $1 million and got called on it. This ain't rocket surgery.

but all he had to do is move his cows. problem is, he can't get pasture this cheap, so he'd have to pay fair market value, and that seems to be a huge problem to him. seems a half million acres of cheap grazing is a hard teat to get weaned from.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
OK, I hear you.

You didn't clarify anything as to water rights on the allotment,though.

Until you prove me wrong as to things I've stated, it actually does make me right.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

if you paying 1.25 a Um per month ya think ????
alfalfa silage is over 200 a ton corn silage less . On top of that add in the federal requirements for a feed lot vs. ranch and you will see real quick why so many of ranchers chose to graze vs. feed

[Linked Image]
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Out of curiosity, what are the acreage requirements per head in MT. vs NV?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
but all he had to do is move his cows. problem is, he can't get pasture this cheap, so he'd have to pay fair market value, and that seems to be a huge problem to him. seems a half million acres of cheap grazing is a hard teat to get weaned from.

Long live Clintons desert turtles and harry reids chinese solar deal. grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 7mmMato

It is the invariable habit of bureaucracies, at all times and everywhere, to assume...that every citizen is a criminal. Their one apparent purpose, pursued with a relentless and furious diligence, is to convert the assumption into a fact. They hunt endlessly for proofs, and, when proofs are lacking, for mere suspicions. The moment they become aware of a definite citizen, John Doe, seeking what is his right under the law, they begin searching feverishly for an excuse for withholding it from him.
~ H. L. Mencken

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by isaac
OK, I hear you.

You didn't clarify anything as to water rights on the allotment,though.

Until you prove me wrong as to things I've stated, it actually does make me right.

Well, what I understand of his situation is that he holds 3 of those water rights on springs, and the remainder on wells throughout the 600,00 acres, with probably one being at his house.

I'm not going to map out the other 10 wells for you because there's no money in it for me. I simply will refer to your better judgment with whether you think he had all 11 water rights on his 160 acres and still managed to have cattle on 600,000 acres of desert lands without them dying of thirst, or by starvation by overgrazing 160 acres with 11 wells or springs.

As an attorney, you also know that I don't have to prove anything to you. The people that read these threads can judge for themselves. At least I'm getting not only my mindset out there, but the mindset of ranchers all over the west that have faced the same issues repeatedly with the BLM and USFS. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rovering

It is the invariable habit of bureaucracies, at all times and everywhere, to assume...that every citizen is a criminal. Their one apparent purpose, pursued with a relentless and furious diligence, is to convert the assumption into a fact. They hunt endlessly for proofs, and, when proofs are lacking, for mere suspicions. The moment they become aware of a definite citizen, John Doe, seeking what is his right under the law, they begin searching feverishly for an excuse for withholding it from him.
~ H. L. Mencken

Well, only when you stop paying the government. wink

That's you, me, or anybody that works for a living.

If you have NEVER paid the government, you make it up to them by voting Democrat. laugh laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Take everything away from them they worked for all their life...

Not a cattle man, but I'm having a little trouble understanding the wisdom of "working for all their life" on land you don't own, never will own and for which you stopped paying lease fees 20 years ago.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Out of curiosity, what are the acreage requirements per head in MT. vs NV?

not that simple Iron bender as it depends on the assessment of the land itself . as such a districting MT may actually have a greater or lesser requirement then one in NV ,ID or where have you .
Just the same as one district in MT may have more or less then another .

Last edited by captchee; 04/17/14.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Take everything away from them they worked for all their life...

Not a cattle man, but I'm having a little trouble understanding the wisdom of "working for all their life" on land you don't own, never will own and for which you stopped paying lease fees 20 years ago.

I agree for the most part. Many is time when I asked myself why people sink a lifetime of hard labor into a ranch that is a permit to graze cattle, and could be taken away in the bat of an eye by BLM or Forest Service to make a bunch of welfare hippies happy, and not even have the consideration of being paid for your investment.

I have seen families that struggled with staying in ranching even in the best of years have to load up two generations of folks into the pickups and cattle trailers and leave the ranch their families homesteaded over 100 years ago, and leave because they were forced to much the same way Bundy was. With absolutely no retirement or 401k, or even enough money for a down payment on a small house. With no other job skills that would even make them marketable in the job market, because all they knew was how to ranch. How will the kids go to college? Will their wives have to try and get a job too? What's gonna happen to that mare you gave your daughter when she was 7 years old now? What happens to that old, one horned cow that you pulled out the mud last year?

What will happen to America when nobody is out there raising food for those in the cities? Will the government feed them? With what? Imported beef? Beef imported from another country that recognizes the need to feed a nation?

Many times this happens. I KNOW people it has happened to.

One day, back in 1993, the BLM showed up at Bundy's house and told him they were taking his ability to make a living ranching away from him because a radical environmental group wanted his land for the desert tortoise. They had cut his permit from 600 head to 150 head. He couldn't live on that, and faced the situation you see above, with loading his family and leaving with nothing.... Even though he had always paid his fees.

It was THEN that he told then they could GFY.

He didn't just wake up one day and decide he would put more in his pocket by not paying paltry grazing fees. But, that is the way it worked out. He fought them in court the past 20 years to no avail because if you know anything at all about how the BLM and USFS is structured legally, you CAN'T win. It isn't in their playbook. ALL the rules and all the laws and all the courts are "by the government FOR the government". So his winning isn't even an option on the table. But, by God, he didn't walk away... He made them work for what they took from him. wink

From ranching both private land and public land, I tend to agree with you. Many ranchers even on private land have lost the ranch because there just isn't any money in it anymore. Too much government regulation, and that same government allows so much imported beef into our country the markets are all over the place at best. Drought and rising cost of feed due to ethanol production taking up the lion's share of the corn that used to be affordable for feeding livestock...

Why would anyone in their right mind try and ranch for a living? Especially where the government can give you the boot without even a "Thank You"?

You got me... I don't have the answer for that myself.

... And then comes the BLM jackbooted thugs to create 1st Amendment Zones, point guns at his loved ones, throw his sister to the ground as she continued the battle with cancer, tazed his son, even though he had never even doubled up a fist.

They ran his cattle to death with helicopters. Shot his bulls. And left newborn calves out in the desert to die because there mothers had been rounded up, and they were left behind.

I can't imagine ANY man mad enough to fight after that.

Can you?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SITREP: BUNDY RANCH

PLEASE SHARE WIDELY. THIS IS FOR THE FECKLESS DUMBASSES WHO ARE DEFENDING THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

"There have been a lot of people criticizing Clive Bundy because he did not pay his grazing fees for 20 years. The public is also probably wondering why so many other cowboys are supporting Mr. Bundy even though they paid their fees and Clive did not.

What you people probably do not realize is that on every rancher's grazing permit it says the following: "You are authorized to make grazing use of the lands, under the jurisdiction of the Bureau of Land Management and covered by this grazing permit, upon your acceptance of the terms and conditions of this grazing permit and payment of grazing fees when due." The "mandatory" terms and conditions go on to list the allotment, the number and kind of livestock to be grazed, when the permit begins and ends, the number of active or suspended AUMs (animal units per month), etc. The terms and conditions also list specific requirements such as where salt or mineral supplements can be located, maximum allowable use of forage levels (40% of annual growth), etc., and include a lot more stringent policies that must be adhered to. Every rancher must sign this "contract" agreeing to abide by the TERMS AND CONDITIONS before he or she can make payment.

In the early 90s, the BLM went on a frenzy and drastically cut almost every rancher's permit because of this desert tortoise issue, even though all of us ranchers knew that cow and desert tortoise had co-existed for a hundred+ years. As an example, a family friend had his permit cut by 90%. For those of you who are non ranchers, that would be equated to getting your paycheck cut 90%.

In 1976 there were approximately 52 ranching permittees in this area of Nevada. Presently, there are 3. Most of these people lost their livelihoods because of the actions of the BLM. Clive Bundy was one of these people who received extremely unfair and unreasonable TERMS AND CONDITIONS. Keep in mind that Mr. Bundy was required to sign this contract before he was allowed to pay. Had Clive signed on the dotted line, he would have, in essence, signed his very livelihood away.

And so Mr. Bundy took a stand, not only for himself, but for all of us. He refused to be destroyed by a tyrannical federal entity and to have his American liberties and freedoms taken away. Also keep in mind that all ranchers financially paid dearly for the forage rights those permits allow - - not rights to the land, but rights to use the forage that grows on that land. Many of these AUMS are water based, meaning that the rancher also has a vested right (state owned, not federal) to the waters that adjoin the lands and allow the livestock to drink. These water rights were also purchased at a great price. If a rancher cannot show beneficial use of the water (he must have the appropriate number of livestock that drinks and uses that water), then he loses that water right. Usually water rights and forage rights go hand in hand.

Contrary to what the BLM is telling you, they NEVER compensate a rancher for the AUMs they take away. Most times, they tell ranchers that their AUMS are "suspended," but not removed. Unfortunately, my family has thousands of "suspended" AUMs that will probably never be returned.

And so, even though these ranchers throughout the course of a hundred years invested thousands(and perhaps millions) of dollars and sacrificed along the way to obtain these rights through purchase from others, at a whim the government can take everything away with the stroke of a pen. This is the very thing that Clive Bundy singlehandedly took a stand against. Thank you, Clive, from a rancher who considers you a hero." ~ Kandy Sealy

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I cannot believe the utter lack of comprehension of some of the people on this subject.

The Feds are the greater of the two evils here.

There will never be a case of government abuse that the feds will not have the legal upperhand. Even if they have to change the laws to get the upperhand. As it was in this case.

So if the legality of the person or business that the Feds put in the crosshairs is what decides who is right or wrong then the Feds are always going to be in the right. According to the big thinkers on this sight.

So in that case nothing is worth fighting for right or wrong doesnt matter.

Being sold down the river by ourselves. I guess we got it coming.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
SITREP: BUNDY RANCH

PLEASE SHARE WIDELY. THIS IS FOR THE FECKLESS DUMBASSES WHO ARE DEFENDING THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

"There have been a lot of people criticizing Clive Bundy because he did not pay his grazing fees for 20 years. The public is also probably wondering why so many other cowboys are supporting Mr. Bundy even though they paid their fees and Clive did not.

What you people probably do not realize is that on every rancher's grazing permit it says the following: "You are authorized to make grazing use of the lands, under the jurisdiction of the Bureau of Land Management and covered by this grazing permit, upon your acceptance of the terms and conditions of this grazing permit and payment of grazing fees when due." The "mandatory" terms and conditions go on to list the allotment, the number and kind of livestock to be grazed, when the permit begins and ends, the number of active or suspended AUMs (animal units per month), etc. The terms and conditions also list specific requirements such as where salt or mineral supplements can be located, maximum allowable use of forage levels (40% of annual growth), etc., and include a lot more stringent policies that must be adhered to. Every rancher must sign this "contract" agreeing to abide by the TERMS AND CONDITIONS before he or she can make payment.

In the early 90s, the BLM went on a frenzy and drastically cut almost every rancher's permit because of this desert tortoise issue, even though all of us ranchers knew that cow and desert tortoise had co-existed for a hundred+ years. As an example, a family friend had his permit cut by 90%. For those of you who are non ranchers, that would be equated to getting your paycheck cut 90%.

In 1976 there were approximately 52 ranching permittees in this area of Nevada. Presently, there are 3. Most of these people lost their livelihoods because of the actions of the BLM. Clive Bundy was one of these people who received extremely unfair and unreasonable TERMS AND CONDITIONS. Keep in mind that Mr. Bundy was required to sign this contract before he was allowed to pay. Had Clive signed on the dotted line, he would have, in essence, signed his very livelihood away.

And so Mr. Bundy took a stand, not only for himself, but for all of us. He refused to be destroyed by a tyrannical federal entity and to have his American liberties and freedoms taken away. Also keep in mind that all ranchers financially paid dearly for the forage rights those permits allow - - not rights to the land, but rights to use the forage that grows on that land. Many of these AUMS are water based, meaning that the rancher also has a vested right (state owned, not federal) to the waters that adjoin the lands and allow the livestock to drink. These water rights were also purchased at a great price. If a rancher cannot show beneficial use of the water (he must have the appropriate number of livestock that drinks and uses that water), then he loses that water right. Usually water rights and forage rights go hand in hand.

Contrary to what the BLM is telling you, they NEVER compensate a rancher for the AUMs they take away. Most times, they tell ranchers that their AUMS are "suspended," but not removed. Unfortunately, my family has thousands of "suspended" AUMs that will probably never be returned.

And so, even though these ranchers throughout the course of a hundred years invested thousands(and perhaps millions) of dollars and sacrificed along the way to obtain these rights through purchase from others, at a whim the government can take everything away with the stroke of a pen. This is the very thing that Clive Bundy singlehandedly took a stand against. Thank you, Clive, from a rancher who considers you a hero." ~ Kandy Sealy

And the Bundys had these rights for a long time before the BLM was ever thought of.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,333
Posts18,487,621
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.