Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by StripBuckHunter
Okay Dudes,

So I took a break from the restaurant scene and ordered a Domino's tonite. Everything is fine.....including the timing and Brooklyn-style pizza.

But.............I could see it in his eyes and facial expression..........he wanted 20%........and he expected it........

I give the delivery guy a few bucks for his trouble and the convenience of my not having to go out. You don't? Your just a cheap bastard all the way around. lol Unreal.

Farming, or anything else for that matter, is easy when your plow's a keyboard and you're a 1000 miles from the field.
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by California_Kid
Okay Dudes,

So I took a break from the restaurant scene and ordered a Domino's tonite. Everything is fine.....including the timing and Brooklyn-style pizza.

But.............I could see it in his eyes and facial expression..........he wanted 20%........and he expected it........

I give the delivery guy a few bucks for his trouble and the convenience of my not having to go out. You don't? Your just a cheap bastard all the way around. lol Unreal.

Exactly the vibe I am getting.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I waited tables and bartender for years.
One constant in every state is servers don't pay chit for tax. Typically you'd see people claim maybe 10% of their sales or their credit card tips, which ever was higher. Maybe. Many claim far less.

Depending on where you work you can make a decent penny. You sure as chit aint gonna retire early! I've worked at joints that averaged $50 a shift, which sucks, and I've averaged $150 a shift, which is enough to keep a college kid in booze and puss. Most I ever made in a day was probably about $600. Not bad for a kid working part time.

I know some that make considerably more, $200+ a shift on average here in WA, sometimes much more, while collecting $9 sumptin an hour from the house and claiming practically no tips. A grand or so a week, in cash, for essentially part time work, 25 or so hours.

Since they claim so little of their tips, most are eligible on paper for government aid. Many collect food stamps, have kids on the public dime and other bullchit. Almost none have any health insurance. I've known more than a few to claim indigent care and then drop 5k for a set of bolt on knockers.

I no longer work in restaurants, but still work closely with them. While I've lived off tips in the past, and still tip better than most today, our culture of tipping is totally fugged up. It is out of control.

Nearly all feel entitled to 20%.

I always thought it'd be interesting if servers paid the house to work sections and shifts. Kinda like a hair dresser pays to use a chair in a salon. Then the server could negotiate a percentage of goods sold to be paid by the house. 1099 the servers at the end of the year. The house could choose the best to represent them, the server would be self employed and control his/her future. If the house wants to go cheap and hire idiots, let em go broke. The smart ones would hire the best and pay the going (living) rates. Let the house pay some else to do side work and clean.

I dunno, ain't got the answer but don't like the out of control culture of tipping and bullchit that goes along with it.

Great post.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by California_Kid

I hardly ever get anything delivered, but in those rare instances, my best tips are for food delivery.

Car, ins, gas, and the risk of accident. DElivery guy is doing a hell of a lot more than the skank who screws up my order at the tavern.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you don't want to tip, don't tip. Pretty simple. I don't even understand the thread title, how is it a con? Were you forced to tip?

http://pin.it/_WJQ2xO

and FREE EYEBALL!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Went to Chili's today for lunch. Had a chicken caesar with a water. They had this new gizmo (a tablet type thing) sitting on the table that let's you pay right there with your debit card. Your server.....who actually did take and deliver your order.........is no longer involved after you chow down. I tried it out. After sliding my card........the gizmo summarized my order and bill and prompted me forward with a 'default tip' of 20%. It did, however, allow me to scroll back to 10% or so........with some figuring out.

WTF??? Server doesn't have to wait on me to bring me the check and take my money.............but still gets 20%? I want my balls sucked for 20%.....or even 10% for that matter......anywhere. This machine doesn't do that. Whatever happened to the good 'ol days when Betty would actually wait on you?

Can't even call the fawks waiter or waitress anymore. They are now 'servers'.......cuz the other names are degrading to them and make them feel less than you and like they may have to actually cater to you. Classic liberal and modern societal political correctness. YOU gotta make THEM feel good in order to tip them.

Also.......who decided that the old standby waitstaff tip of 15% wasn't enough? First it went to 20%.........and now they don't even have to wait on you for that?? WTF??

Go to a buffet these days and all you say at the entryway cashier is 'buffet bar with water' and you pay there. The wait staff brings you plates and a few extra napkins (if you ask)......and doesn't even discuss food. You always have to ask for extra plates, too. You've already paid at the check-in, so the waitstaff doesn't even bring your check and process your payment. Why is a tip even due here?

Oh, but the poor waiter and waitresses in this country. They are sooooo hardworking. Most are single moms and college students.........true American sufferers. After all, why shouldn't they be due 20% without having to actually work for it..........or even be thought of as what they are?

The restaurant business as a whole has really struggled since the economy crash for these very reasons. But most restaurants still ain't gettin' it and changing their ways. I have absolutely no sympathy for the biz.

I'm gonna stick to fast food for a while. Foods cheaper........and the tipping pressures and bullsheet are non-existent.

Do you guys tip the gas station attendant? How about the hardware store guy, your garage mechanic, your Dr., nurse, or your mailman? Nobody tips me and I've worked all my life. When is the last time you bought something and ADDED 20% to the price?

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You don't have to tip if you don't want to. It's optional.

http://pin.it/_WJQ2xO

and FREE EYEBALL!
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
We eat fairly often at a little caf� near our place. Like the place, staff and cooks. We tip pretty well and get great service every time we go in.

I use more of a common sense tipping method. Their breakfast special is only 6 bucks for eggs, sausage or bacon, hashbrowns or homestyle potatoes and toast. Coffee is another buck maybe so 7 dollars total.. I would feel like a real cheapskate giving the waitress 15%. A dollar and a nickel? Really. I normally give her a 10 and have her keep the change. That's over 40% for you mathmaticians out there. If I go in for dinner and spend 25 she still gets to keep whats left out of a 10 and a 20. That's 20%. The pizza delivery guy may get a 5 just so I don't have to go out. If I eat at an expensive restaurant 100 bucks for the two of us, I'll tip 15% because I figure 15 dollars is plenty and the waitress probably wasn't any better than the one for breakfast. Tipping is part of eating out. The price of the meal covers the owner and the tip covers the waitress/service.

Farming, or anything else for that matter, is easy when your plow's a keyboard and you're a 1000 miles from the field.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Do you guys tip the gas station attendant? How about the hardware store guy, your garage mechanic, your Dr., nurse, or your mailman? Nobody tips me and I've worked all my life. When is the last time you bought something and ADDED 20% to the price?
I don't understand your point. All the jobs you mention are for people who make at least minimum wage and many are likely significantly better. And since you're from NH, like me, you should know that your waiter or waitress is likely bringing home an hourly wage of $3.27/hr and relying on the tips for the remainder of their income.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Technoman26

And if servers made minimum wage, which in most states they don't, your "math" would maybe be close.

In NH a server is pad $3.27/hr. And in case you don't know or have never done it, waiting tables isn't easy job. So now go apply your math and see what that same server makes.

$3.27 an hour, plus $10 or $12 an hour for tips still isn't bad money.

I've know "servers" who made $700 to $1,000+ weekly in tips. They were very good at their jobs, and worked at high volume places that served food and booze.

My point is, lots (and lots and lots) of jobs pay a whole lot less, and one can live on a whole lot less.
You want to make good tip money, be very good at your job and work at a place that gives you the opportunity. In the world of jobs, waiting tables is far from the bottom.

MOLON LABE
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
How much do you guys tip a car salesman?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I remember when tipping was 10% The tip is a percentage of the total. So when food prices go up do do the tips. We shouldn't have to increase the percentage.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by whelennut
How much do you guys tip a car salesman?

How much commission does a waiter make, and how often is his basis a $30,000 purchase?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Anaconda

And if servers made minimum wage, which in most states they don't, your "math" would maybe be close.

In NH a server is pad $3.27/hr. And in case you don't know or have never done it, waiting tables isn't easy job. So now go apply your math and see what that same server makes.

$3.27 an hour, plus $10 or $12 an hour for tips still isn't bad money.

I've know "servers" who made $700 to $1,000+ weekly in tips. They were very good at their jobs, and worked at high volume places that served food and booze.

My point is, lots (and lots and lots) of jobs pay a whole lot less, and one can live on a whole lot less.
You want to make good tip money, be very good at your job and work at a place that gives you the opportunity. In the world of jobs, waiting tables is far from the bottom.

No arguing that. But a waitperson raking in $700-1000 / week will be the exception not the rule. And further, I'm not arguing one shouldn't take pride in what they do, if you're a waiter be a good one and you're right, the tips will come.

I'm trying to point out that it's a hard job and the pay isn't great most of the time. It absolutely can be a way to make a living.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
To me it's really simple. If I find a place I like, I'm going back. I eat out when I don't feel like cooking or doing dishes. Since I'm going to the same place, I can avoid a lot of crap if the employees are on my side. Generous tips accomplish this.

There are a few places where the hostess, (and often the owner/manager know me by name) and know which waitress I want. The waitress sees my family, and often has our drinks at the table before we get there. We often get comped an appetizer or desert. If our usual waitress isn't available, the waitress who serves us often says that someone told her, or him, to take good care of us.

If you think you can get that kind of treatment by being cheap, all I can say is good luck.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm a generous tipper when the service is prompt and attentive. What infuriates me are servers who repeatedly breeze past my table en route to other tables, after I've been sitting there for ten minutes, w/o even bothering to make eye contact. It's as though I'm completely invisible. I realize that I may not be sitting in their "station," but for God's sake acknowledge my existence and assure me that my server will attend to me sometime this century. It's simple courtesy. I can't remember the number of restaurants I've walked of out of after stitting, unacknowledged, for as long as 15 minutes (I've timed it), while various servers, bussboys, hostesses, and assorted other employees, walked past my table w/o even bothering to look at me. It's absolutely amazing. Nor it this phenonemnon uncommon; in fact, it's almost routine.

Since I'm ranting about restaurants, I might as well keep going. I was eating in a steakhouse some time ago and asked my waitress, who was covered with tattoos, something about one of the steaks on the menu. She literally shrugged and replied, "I'm a vegetarian, so I can't answer your question." Is management on drugs???? Why would they hire a vegetarian with an attitude to work at a steakhouse????

It's been my experience, and I eat out a great deal, that servers under the age of, say, 30 are generally half-assed with an entitlement attitude: they deliver lousy service, yet anticipate a good tip and act affronted when the expected tip is not forthcoming. In short, they appear to expect a generous tip simply for showing up and providing an absolute minimum of customer service.

I recently read an article written by a self-styled restaurant "expert." When subjected to poor service while eating out, his advice was to provide your server a full tip, but complain to management. Huh? By giving your lousy server a full tip, aren't you just encouraging further lousy service? Moreover, based on the dubious management practices of many restaurants I've been in (e.g., servers who douse themselves with perfume/cologne, servers who seem incapable of making eye contact with diners, servers with nose rings), I have little confidence that any remedial steps would be forthcoming.

Rant over.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by whelennut
I remember when tipping was 10% The tip is a percentage of the total. So when food prices go up do do the tips. We shouldn't have to increase the percentage.

Yeah I remember my FIL leaving a $1 tip on a $50 meal check about 15 years ago while the rest of us would have dropped 10%. He remembered from his early days that was a decent tip. After he left we added a fiver to avoid embarrassment.

My point is times change and a 10% tip for good service today is an embarrassment.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
When is the last time you bought something and ADDED 20% to the price?

Monday.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Tuco
What infuriates me are servers who repeatedly breeze past my table en route to other tables, after I've been sitting there for ten minutes, w/o even bothering to make eye contact. It's as though I'm completely invisible. I realize that I may not be sitting in their "station," but for God's sake acknowledge my existence and assure me that my server will attend to me sometime this century. It's simple courtesy.
It "infuriates" you? I understand bad service is disapointing but no need to get your nose all out of joint that easily...and actually - no it isn't just common courtesy. The person that is breezing past you to other tables is tending to the customers in his/her section and likely hasn't even noticed how long you might have been sitting there unattended. They are hopefully providing their customers with prompt attentive, service.

If you have a problem with the wait you're experiencing, find the host/hostess and say something. Most of the time the host/hostess can do something about it. Move you to another section, make sure the waitperson knows you're there.

It takes an entire team at a restaurant to provide good service. It's not always the fault of the wait staff if there is delay or problem. In a good operation, everything runs smooth, but even in those there are hiccups.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Tuco
What infuriates me are servers who repeatedly breeze past my table en route to other tables, after I've been sitting there for ten minutes, w/o even bothering to make eye contact. It's as though I'm completely invisible. I realize that I may not be sitting in their "station," but for God's sake acknowledge my existence and assure me that my server will attend to me sometime this century. It's simple courtesy.
It "infuriates" you? I understand bad service is disapointing but no need to get your nose all out of joint that easily...and actually - no it isn't just common courtesy. The person that is breezing past you to other tables is tending to the customers in his/her section and likely hasn't even noticed how long you might have been sitting there unattended. They are hopefully providing their customers with prompt attentive, service.

If you have a problem with the wait you're experiencing, find the host/hostess and say something. Most of the time the host/hostess can do something about it. Move you to another section, make sure the waitperson knows you're there.

It takes an entire team at a restaurant to provide good service. It's not always the fault of the wait staff if there is delay or problem. In a good operation, everything runs smooth, but even in those there are hiccups.
HooBoy! I guess my nose gets out of joint easily too. This is a simple concept. You give a gratuity for good service. I do not have a single problem with that. The problem is, it is no longer a tip when it is included on the bill. My tip is up to me - NOT the restaurant. Heck - I get good service, I often give MORE than 20%. Bad service? I would just as soon NOT give tip. I do, but I do not like it, and it is not generous.Why the heck would I reward poor service?

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 3,349 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,505
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.