Print Thread
Hop To
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
There's been a bit of conversation here about scams on some online firearm purchases. This letter makes it pretty clear more folks should be using the ATF eZCheck system than depending on what can easily be a phony hard copy. FWIW

LINK here

U.S. Department of Justice
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Washington, DC 20226
Advisory Letter
Online Scams Using Fraudulent Federal Firearms Licenses
March 7, 2014

TO ALL FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSEES AND FIREARM PURCHASERS
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) is providing the following information to make you aware of fraudulent online firearms sales. Some individuals are using fraudulently altered Federal firearms licenses to sell but never deliver firearms online.

A typical online scam starts with an online firearm advertisement. Purchasers who respond to the advertisement by telephone or email receive an invalid, counterfeit copy of a license that appears to be valid. After sending payment, the purchaser never receives the advertised firearm(s) and the fraudulent seller removes the original online advertisement and contact information.

To help you avoid this scam, licensees are reminded that only transactions between licensees require the furnishing of a certified copy of the license. Licensees should consider only providing the basic license number to individuals (e.g., 1-75-12345). The individuals can use FFL eZ Check to confirm the validity of the license number before sending payment for firearms advertised online. FFL eZ Check is on the ATF website at http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/firearms-industry/applications-FFL-eZ-check. If you have general questions regarding the FFL eZ Check system, you may contact the Federal Firearms Licensing Center at 1-877-560-2435.

You may also wish to contact other Federal, State, and local resources regarding internet fraud, to include the Federal Bureau of Investigation (www.IC3.gov), the Federal Trade Commission (www.ftc.gov), your State�s Attorney General�s office (http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-5-31st-editiion/attorneys-general.pdf) and your local law enforcement agency.

If you are a Federal firearms licensee who believes your license has been fraudulently used, stolen, or compromised, please contact your local ATF field office as soon as possible for assistance. A list of local field offices can be found at http://www.atf.gov/content/contact-us/local-atf-office.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm awful glad the feds can save us from ourselves.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I always use the FFL eZ Check before shipping, saves a LOT of grief.

BTW, I have only caught one bad FFL in over 15 years of online sales. Good thing I checked as I am sure the shop and I would have caught the full force of the BATFE had we shipped it.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take a look at these two.
Same gun, same pictures, one in Wa. State, one in Pa.

Gun Broker ad placed
4/5/14

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=407362440

I have flagged the Armslist ad placed today 4/18
Add that I first flagged this ad as a scam over 12 hours ago, and as of 9:25 PM MST it is still active.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/29590...4cb-cowboy-limited--357-mag-lever-action

Last edited by 700LH; 04/18/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No prosecutions. No fear.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
1 out of 1000 ain't a bad record.......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where does Ted get this number 48,000?
Is this sales denied, or actually "fugitives and felons"?

He is not giving enough information, sounds like a very misleading question.

Last edited by 700LH; 04/18/14.
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by T LEE
I always use the FFL eZ Check before shipping, saves a LOT of grief.

BTW, I have only caught one bad FFL in over 15 years of online sales. Good thing I checked as I am sure the shop and I would have caught the full force of the BATFE had we shipped it.

I've come across only 1 as well. And that wasn't an attempt to deceive, the guy had just neglected to re-up his FFL. But if I had sent the rifle I would have been in violation of an unConstitutional law.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same Marlin 1894 has been posted on Arms List again.
This time supposedly from Ohio for $1500.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/29646...4cb-cowboy-limited--357-mag-lever-action

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 22 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 1,015 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,706
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.