Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
77s don't impress me with excellent bug hole accuracy, neither do 75 bthp, the 75 amax and 75 JLKs have.

But the 77s/75s bthps, will consistently turn in around 2 inch or just under 10 shot groups at 300 yards. And thats sufficient for most days. And they buck the wind better than the light ones like 68/69s

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've shot my best groups with 50 gr NBT's but I like the way the 77's kill. And of course we now can shoot to 800 yards so I'll stick with the 77's. The last 1000 I loaded were Noslers and they don't group quite as good as Sierras but they open up a little quicker.

While I like accuracy, I don't shoot targets much anymore except with the 22 LR.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interesitng note on the opening of the noslers. Never ran em since SMKs were more accurate. Now that I"m not competing, thats good info to know if i ever run out of 77 smks.

I agree, I like the way they kill.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by rost495
I shot many years in competition at ARC. I have my own range at home. But I work full time and volunteer EMS and Fire locally so there isn't much free time anymore. And I doubt I can shoot anywhere near as good as I could when I was tuned up.

Tell Paul and Rex and the whole bunch at ARC at the highpower matches hello! BTW if you want to see consistent tight iron sight groups watch Paul shoot when he is shooting his match rifle AR. His eyes kinda suck for service rifle post, but match rifle irons are a whole other ball game.

9 twist should shoot almost any bullet out there, from 40s to most 80s. If its opening up I'd question either the twist or that its not a top line barrel.

I will tell them if I see them. I don�t shoot highpower much as I only have a stock Colt carbine which will work for highpower. It shoots about average. I like to shoot benchrest at ARC with my 308. As good as my target Colt AR is it cannot compete with my 308 bolt gun. I have been trying to shoot a perfect score of 250 in factory class. I have a 308 that shoots real well and I have gotten close with a 247 out of 250. With a real bench rest rifle it is easy to shoot 250 but factory class is a different matter. My problem now is I cannot get all my reload parts for my 308 so I have not been shooting. I should probably work up another load. I guess I am lazy, maybe soon.

Last edited by coxhaus; 04/19/14.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Rost, I too love the 75 Amax but the 77 Leupy scenar has been almost magical in my Wylde chamber gas gun and AI version bolt gun. 24.8 TAC BR4's Leupy brass puts a smile on my face. Now it's probably easier to make me smile with my skill level than it is for you.

I have had it to 600 in the gas gun and like I said, they make me smile. I have been told they are a solid killer but I have been there done that with a 62 TTSX and they made a believer out of me.

Randy

IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Do you know who makes the SS barrels for Colt? I have a Colt 6724. It shoots pretty well out of the box and better than the other chrome lined barrels I shot against.
I actually own 2 6724 uppers and one lower as I bought a second upper for a spare. They both shoot about the same. I cannot tell a difference between them.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
what is a leupy scenar? Never heard of that. Leupold makes brass? And a Lapua Scenar in 77 grians in .224?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Coxhaus

Time to buy a years worth of stash when supply comes around again. I was amazed how many didn't, many years ago when primer scare hit the first time.

After that we kept spare bullets, primers and powder and cases enough to shoot a complete year, and never touched it.. rotated yes, but never touched.

Thats probably why I have 100ish pounds of WC852 and almost 50 of N540 and I haven't even counted the SMKs laying around in .224 cal.

Good luck. BTW as you know, for short range, like 200-250 yards, a 125ish flat base even hunting bullet might work. I know Berger made something like that, that Nez used quite a bit for the real short range stuff like 200 and 300 yards.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've always wondered who made those barrels but have never found a solid answer. Most of them shot pretty well.

Rost, I think he means Lapua.
http://www.lapua.com/en/products/new-products/2

Last edited by TWR; 04/19/14.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have bought Bergers from Nez. I am not sure he is a dealer any more. I will talk to him. The problem with a stash is it is not unlimited and it is hard to have a stash for everything. I own probably 20,000 primers but I ran out of the ones I need for my 308. I am also getting low on Varget powder. I am down to just 4 or 5 pounds. I own probably 60 or more pounds of powder but I seem to use more and more Varget.
I think all the bench rest shooters shoot flat base bullets. Boat tail bullets take some distance to stabilize. I was looking for a hunting bullet which would work as a target bullet but I don�t shoot deer with a 308 anymore. I have had some dead deer run with the 308. It turned off dark when I was looking for the last one shot with my 308. The last few years I now shoot deer with a 270 I have. All of the deer shot with my 270 have dropped in their tracks.

PS
I did find the deer but I had to look for it with a flashlight in the brush.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

LOL, yessir Lapuar Scenar 77, You been hiding in Fayette County too long (grin)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
I've always wondered who made those barrels but have never found a solid answer. Most of them shot pretty well.

I have always heard Green Mountain & Shaw.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've never seen a round that drops every deer in its tracks. It does not exist.

What does drop them every time is shot placement. Enough said there.

I shoot a LOT of deer with 308 and 185 bergers..... never lost one. Never had DRT other than all the head shots. I"ve trailed a lot in the dark and in the day. No big deal to us but I am a bowhunter aslo and used to it.

Stash wise, IMHO, you are wrong. If you enjoy shooting competitive, then you know basically how many rounds you go through a year. We were around 20K rounds a year give or take. You buy enough ONCE to last through a season and then rotate it out the next year. But you leave it in reaserve. Then when a bad year hits you have to use it, but you start looking for more. Generally speaking in a year, you can find enough to make it to the next.

I've bought berger bullets lately.... sometimes a dealer has em, sometimes its next week etc... same with Barnes.

PS on the deer, if you don't want to trail em.. shoot ballistic tips, as fast as you can, and aim high.... I refuse to do that but its generally somewhat reliable.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rta48

LOL, yessir Lapuar Scenar 77, You been hiding in Fayette County too long (grin)

Haha, I know exactly what a Lapua Scenar is. Just wasnt' sure on your misspellings twice. You never know if its a typo or something new is out there!

never have shot a Lapua bullet though, but brass yes.

Jeff

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
The benefit with 270 is the diameter and weight of the bullet with the amount of powder to the size of our deer. It is all a balance to the size of game you are shooting. I had a 25-06 that did about the same thing on deer as the 270. I also shot a 7 mag which did not work as well on deer because it had too much. I shot many deer with the 7 mag and the bullet always passed through without much damage and the dead deer would run the same as a 308. The 270 just seems to penetrate and expend killing energy to drop the deer better. I have never lost a deer except once a long time ago but tracking them into the bush after dark is a pain.
The only deer I have lost is when I was in high school in the late 60s. A friend and I were in a 20 foot high stand on an old wind mill which had been converted to a great deer stand. My buddy knocked my gun over and I did not think anything of it. It must have fallen on the scope. I did not see it as it was still dark. I shot a deer later on that morning and ended up gut shooting the deer. We never did find it. The scopes now days are much better than what we had in the 60s. After the miss I went and shot paper except it was not hitting the target it was so far off.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Jeff, sorry about the spelling - its been a long long time since someone tried to teach me to spell or much of anything for that matter.

I have had very good fortune with the Scenar's in .224 & .308

While I have NOWHERE near the experience or expertise that you have, for me they have out performed all!

Randy

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
coxhaus, while this is not the right forum to debate this, Headstamps do not kill! Bullets do! Given good bullets all of the calibers you mentioned might turn into you favorite!

Just a thought & idea!

Randy

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C

Correct. All the deer are dead. It is just the style of the kill. Enough said by me.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
For me the quickest killers have often been rounds dismissed.. 243 win. 257 wtby has been fairly quick too. I've shot a lot with 06. Never shot with a 270 as I dont' like that round because I didn't agree with OConnor at all.

But bottom line, any round that leaves 2 holes in a deer is leaving behind its energy in the dirt to an extent. A 308 starts with a wider diameter bullet and will still leave 2 holes.

As noted before, I"m firmly convinced speed is a big thing in inducing shock. As are frangible ballistic tip type bullets. I don't like to loose meat and I never shoot high or for bones except the head, and as such the majority of deer I shoot run a ways. Less than 100 and mostly less than 50 steps. Not a big deal to find even in South Texas type brush with a flashlight.

BUT anyone is welcome to use what works best for them. Except me, if I really want DRT, its shot placement over caliber that is the only thing that works 100% of the time.

Interesting anecdote... I started with a 243 Win as a youth around 4th grade. I hunted with that gun for probably at least 10 plus years before I bought a 300 wtby for larger game. Shot a lot of deer with it. The 243 hands down gave more bang flops with lung shots than the 300 did. The 300 gave only one and that was a frontal shot taht flipped a buck over. (not counting head shots on purpose)

Only round I've ever heard of that gave all bang flops was teh 220 swift and it never left an exit. I've never tried it... but that was the rumor from an older local guy that was a gun nut. His family swore he was both nuts to use it and right, it was like a lazer.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
When I started killing deer with a 100 grain Broadhead it seemed to make Rifle caliber discussion's needless. However, I have shot no telling how many Whitetail does (herd management) with a 55 Nosler BT .224 (head and or neck) and they are very effective for that purpose.

To each his own they say!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 3,359 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,505
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.