Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fisherick
Has anyone used Frog Lube?

Does squeezing the frog tight enough to get the lube out kill the frog? Are we talkin run of the mill pond frogs or some rare and nearly extinct South American Amazon Tree Frog here?

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 41magfan
I love lube threads as they have so much potential to become epic in their silliness.

I can't wait for some gun forum Patriarch to promote camel [bleep] as the perfect gun lube; which will no doubt spur mindless debate about how lizard [bleep] works so much better in AR's and monkey [bleep] is the bomb in tightly fitted 1911's.

I'm betting the farm that polar bear [bleep] will work best in cold climates.

;^)

that is a bit odd. What do you think makes you picture animal semen in this context? laugh

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by Mink
Ok, this begs the question. Do you prefer a specific viscosity? Single weight?
I've never used anything heavier than 30 weight. I have some 10 & 20 weight around the shop, but those are generally for machine oils, I've never tried them. But they do seem a bit thick and gooey to be put on my handgun. I'd say the lighter, the better; that's probably why most use synthetics. While I always say you don't need synthetics, that's generally what I use most often because that's what I have around. I tend to use synthetics in my cars and motorcycles. I used a can of straight 30wt for the better part of a year and never had any complaints; worked just fine. But also consider, I don't slather my gun in oil; just one drop wherever needed.

Well I have some Mobil 1 sitting around and probably a can of Royal Purple, so will give this a try. Just ordered a couple of precision oilers from McMaster Carr to use.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
3-In-One oil. Can't beat it. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

;^)

I suspect trying to collect PBJ would make you buy the farm... smirk grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I love lube threads as they have so much potential to become epic in their silliness.

I can't wait for some gun forum Patriarch to promote camel [bleep] as the perfect gun lube; which will no doubt spur mindless debate about how lizard [bleep] works so much better in AR's and monkey [bleep] is the bomb in tightly fitted 1911's.

;^)

that is a bit odd. What do you think makes you picture animal semen in this context? laugh

A. Cause it makes about as much sense as 99% of the BS I've seen postulated here about gun lubes.
B. Cause I want to divert attention away from the best gun lube on the planet ..... unicorn [bleep]. Don't tell anyone.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Slip 2000 or slide-glide.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fisherick
Has anyone used Frog Lube?

Yep; No better than any conventional lube and not as good as many IMO.

Frog Lube is mostly olefin; a piss poor lubricant by any modern standard.

But all these choices in lubricants does prove one thing; Handguns, shotguns and most semi-auto rifles will work 100% of the time with ANY lubricant so long as it's properly applied and used within the parameters for which it was intended.

Lubricants don't fail unless they're improperly used, in improper amounts under improper conditions. It ain't rocket science.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

;^)

For your information only and no one else's back in the day 12 and 13 year old boy [bleep] was used by gem cutters on laps to polish gems. I wonder how that would work on 1911s? grin

BTW: That is the truth.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by derby_dude

For your information only and no one else's back in the day 12 and 13 year old boy [bleep] was used by gem cutters on laps to polish gems. I wonder how that would work on 1911s? grin

Okay, I gotta ask...how in the world do you know that?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm sure that's what the gem cutters told you...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by derby_dude

Okay, I gotta ask...how in the world do you know that?

I bet that won't ever be a Jeopardy answer ...... but it should. "I'll take [bleep] for $500.00, Alex ...."

NRA Endowment Member
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Had a Gunsmith who worked on Fabbri's and Purdey's tell me that the best gun oil ever was-- Browning Pure Fine Gun oil.

But, he also said the most important thing is to not mix lubricants. That is where you get into trouble over time. Pick one a fly with it.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I always used a little dab of Lubriplate. It's cheap, and was recommended and used by the Army for M1 rifles in wet conditions. You can buy a big squeezebottle of the stuff from Brownells and it will last you "forever" if not a little longer. I've still got plenty left over when I bought a squeeze tube 25 years ago.....

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotta understand, all this is just lubrication; not preservative.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gibby
Had a Gunsmith who worked on Fabbri's and Purdey's tell me that the best gun oil ever was-- Browning Pure Fine Gun oil.

But, he also said the most important thing is to not mix lubricants. That is where you get into trouble over time. Pick one a fly with it.
Lubrication for double guns is VERY different. A very light oil (as in thin) on ejectors is good, but no oil most anywhere else. Grease should be applied to the trunion to ward off galling, which can happen on doubles; especially Italian guns since they tend to make their forend iron overly tight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gibby

Lubrication for double guns is VERY different. A very light oil (as in thin) on ejectors is good, but no oil most anywhere else. Grease should be applied to the trunion to ward off galling, which can happen on doubles; especially Italian guns since they tend to make their forend iron overly tight.

This is very good to know, since a Sabbatti SxS double in 9.3x74 is on my short 'gotta have someday' list of guns. I have a tube of AmsOil full synthetic Grease at my gun desk that ought to be the bomb for that application.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ok I will stir. Only yesterday I decided to break from tradition after all this time and try an actual 'gun' product. I ordered Gun Butter oil- if nothing else I know I will like the applicator. Also a $2.98 tube of Hoppes gun grease - going to use it on rifle bolt lugs. For as long as both will last I can hardly call it expensive.

I believed grease what slides- plain lithium grease and oil what pivots- Ballistol more often than not. Always wrks fine so, like with too many reload recipes, I figured- Hey its perfect, why not tinker with it!!!

I think any lube is pretty much good lube after seeing many have trouble a few drops of oil would cure. Got a new Sig 1911 and felt like for once trying something different. Will let you know how I like it - if anyone cares. Midway reviews were unanimous five stars for all 63 responses. Pretty rare. Will try to differentiate results from placebo.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kenjs1
I believed grease what slides- plain lithium grease and oil what pivots- Ballistol more often than not. Always wrks fine so, like with too many reload recipes, I figured- Hey its perfect, why not tinker with it!!!
For pistols it's oil for both. For rifles, a very small amount of grease on the bolt locking lugs can be a good thing as long as you remember to clean the locking area inside the receiver periodically.

Grease is good for Garand, M14, M1 Carbine, and Mini 14 slides where the bolt lug head goes into the slide. Otherwise, it's oil most everywhere else.

For firearms, we want oil because oil will carry the debris out of the action, rather than hold it into the action like grease does.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Fireclean is getting rave reviews. Not because it is a better lube but for how easy the gun is to clean.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 16penny, 02bfishn, 1minute, 62 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,877
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.