Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Been trying off and on for a year or more to get my friend and pastor Owen's Garcia era Sako L-461 in 223. Gorgeous little rifle with nice color to the wood, looks just like a miniature Weatherby Mk V Deluxe. BUT....

Two scope, a re crowning, and other various measures later it is still only shooting into 1 to 1.25 inches. OK for a big game rifle, but not quite up to snuff for snuffing out long distance ground squirrels.

So, I just re bedded the reciever and tang area, made sure the free floating is clear of the forend wood and loaded up some ammo that will really tell us.

Lapua match brass, CCI BR primers, VARGET powder, and Berger Match 52gr HP bullets. Loaded up a few in several powder charges. If this rifle does not print into 3/4 inch or better, then it is going down the road.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Safariman: I have been shooting groups for over 50 years now and a while back I fired the smallest group (5 shots at 100 yards) I have ever done with an all factory stock Rifle.
My loading was rather close to what you have now cooked up for that L 461.
My loading was: Berger 52 grain MEF bullets, LaPua brass, Federal 205 M (match) primers and 27.3 grains of H 335 powder.
The resulting group (5 shots at 100 yards) measured .121".
My Rifle/scope is a Remington XR-100 with a Leupold 8.5x25x40mm variable scope.
Anyway if you have access to H 335 powder please give that a try - it may help.
And when all else fails (and I hope it doesn't!) maybe ADD more scope power.
Best of luck in perking up that Sako a tad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Oh yeah, the Bergers are just touching the lands and grooves of the barrel. Last chance for this rifle before it gets sold or re barreled. Here's hoping....

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Varmint Guy. Not going to put too much more scope on it as it doubles as his (4 of em!) daughters' big game rifle with Barnes 50gr TSX's. Also it is a lightweight walking type varmint rifle. Might go with a 4-12 or 4.5-14, but that would be the most.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't give up on the rifle. I didn't get much great accuracy with Varget in my 223. I switched to H335 for 40 grainers and AA2230 for 65 gr Sierra GKs, and the rifle loved the loads (both of which are near max).

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good point. When I checked the tightness of the barreled action after re inspecting my bedding job, I checked the scope base screws. The guy that owns this rifle is a pretty good DIY ma who makes knives and re finishes stocks pretty well, and he had moved scopes around since I last worked on this rifle for him, but lo and behold the scope BASE screws were quite loose and even the scope mount screws were not nearly as tight as they should have been. They are all locked down pretty well now and I am surmising that Owens last group shooting was dissapointing in part due to the loose scope bases etc.

Even if Varget is not the BEST powder for this rifle, with the Berger match bullets and loaded out to touch the lands etc. this rifle ought to shoot at least sorta well.

I am a believer in the idea that really good barrels will shoot any reasonable load pretty well, and really shine with a tuned and preffered load. This one goes into 3/4 of an inch tomorrow or it goes to a rebareller or to a sale.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don't get rid of it, before I get up that way and get a chance to look at it...I have some loads that even a shot out 223 will shoot pretty well...if it won't then the barrel is shot out...big time...

to tell ya the truth tho, I put a barrel on a Model 70 that only shot 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 100 yds... but taking it out after squirrels, and it would do as well as even my most accurate rifle...after about 600 rounds thru it, groups started tightening up dramatically...If I would have hand lapped it when it was put on, that cycle probably would have been shortened...

but I wouldn't let a Sako action like that go at all...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
Don't get rid of it, before I get up that way and get a chance to look at it...I have some loads that even a shot out 223 will shoot pretty well...if it won't then the barrel is shot out...big time...

to tell ya the truth tho, I put a barrel on a Model 70 that only shot 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 100 yds... but taking it out after squirrels, and it would do as well as even my most accurate rifle...after about 600 rounds thru it, groups started tightening up dramatically...If I would have hand lapped it when it was put on, that cycle probably would have been shortened...

but I wouldn't let a Sako action like that go at all...

If it doesn't shoot, and Owen does not want to spend the money to re barrel, I will try to snag it for SURE as it also has pretty specatular wood, too. High figure and high color wood is my downfall. Add in an L-461 action and I get all worked up and anxious! crazy

We will definately take it out and try it with your loads when you come up.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Years ago I had a heavy barrel 25-06 (14 lbs) that didn't shoot well until I put 1,000 rds. through it.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whelennut
Years ago I had a heavy barrel 25-06 (14 lbs) that didn't shoot well until I put 1,000 rds. through it.

Point taken, and true of many barrels. This is a pretty old gun, though. More likley a worn barrel than a barely used one. I/we COULD firelap it before discarding it if it does not shoot up to snuff today, I suppose.

One more bore swabbing in a minute, then off to the range we (Owen and myself) go. Range report to follow.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by safariman
. If this rifle does not print into 3/4 inch or better, then it is going down the road.

are you planning on telling the new owner this, or gonna let them find out on their own?

Hey!! Your going the wrongway.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sorry wrongway, all I can see of your post is:

****you are ignoreing this user****

I am sure that whatever you added was VERY informational, useful, complimentary and kind hearted. wink

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by wrongway
. If this rifle does not print into 3/4 inch or better, then it is going down the road.

are you planning on telling the new owner this, or gonna let them find out on their own?

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by wrongway

laugh

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sorry wrongway, all I can see of your post is:

****you are ignoreing this user****

I am sure that whatever you added was VERY informational, useful, complimentary and kind hearted. wink

you spelled "ignoring" wrong, dummy.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Which means he took the time to type that out. Which means he's also not ignoring you.

Why make the effort to lie about that?

MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tru-that.

just another lie from marky mark.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
UBER

Have Dog

Will Travel

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Uber weird

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Par.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,334
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.