Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I recently had a conversation with an elder concerning concealed firearms in church. In Ohio it is a felony to carry in a place of worship without there permission. What he told me was that those on the council stated that they would not be comfortable with people carrying concealed weapons, not even a select few.

So I wrote this on my Facebook page, which is read by many in the church:

Sitting here thinking about a recent conversation. Someone told me they and others wouldn't feel comfortable with people carrying handguns in church. They might even be afraid.

Really, that's funny.The thing is I go about my day, walking around shopping, talking to people, giving a smile and receiving one. Yes, just a pleasant person.

Except

I'm carrying a handgun, sometimes two, most of the time.

So do you feel different now? Are you afraid? Am I not still the good Christian man I always was? Am I less pleasant? If you hugged me and felt it, would you recoil in horror? What difference does it make really?

Well, one I guess, you'd be safer by me. Why you ask? Because I'm still the man who would fight for you.

You see, this gun does not make me evil, it has no power to do that. Nor is it evil, because it is just an object. It is a tool, nothing more or less. It just so happens that it is a tool I use very well.

Last edited by Armednfree; 04/23/14.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hmm...

Wasn't Peter armed with a sword while in the garden with Jesus when Jesus was arrested? If Jesus was okay with one of his disciples carrying an openly displayed sword for the purpose of defense, how can it be unChristian to carry a concealed firearm?

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sad deal there

hope you don't have to find a new church

you put it out there about as most sensible as possible

just hope they have enough sense to realize it

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Actually, important enough to tell them to sell their cloak and buy a sword.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Hmm...

Wasn't Peter armed with a sword while in the garden with Jesus when Jesus was arrested? If Jesus was okay with one of his disciples carrying an openly displayed sword for the purpose of defense, how can it be unChristian to carry a concealed firearm?
When Jesus was arrested, he told Peter to put the sword away. That had nothing to do with being a pacifist as is often claimed. It was because Jesus came to die and it was his time. He didn't want Peter and the others to interfere with what he came to do and he certainly didn't want anyone other than himself to die.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just like most Church's, they have no Faith in what they preach for God to protect them. Everybody wants to go to heaven , but no one wants to die to get there.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Our Minister does not care, he carries as well. I know of many there that are carrying during service. We also run the 3rd largest Judo club in the USA out of the church. The Minister is one of the instructors. I would just as well take my chances there as somewhere else if something was to happen.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I recently had a conversation with an elder concerning concealed firearms in church. In Ohio it is a felony to carry in a place of worship without there permission. What he told me was that those on the council stated that they would not be comfortable with people carrying concealed weapons, not even a select few.

Sitting here thinking about a recent conversation. Someone told me they and others wouldn't feel comfortable with people carrying handguns in church. They might even be afraid.

Really, that's funny.The thing is I go about my day, walking around shopping, talking to people, giving a smile and receiving one. Yes, just a pleasant person.

Except

So do you feel different now? Are you afraid? Am I not still the good Christian man I always was? Am I less pleasant? If you hugged me and felt it, would you recoil in horror? What difference does it make really?

Well, one I guess, you'd be safer by me. Why you ask? Because I'm still the man who would fight for you.

You see, this gun does not make me evil, it has no power to do that. Nor is it evil, because it is just an object. It is a tool, nothing more or less. It just so happens that it is a tool I use very well.

It means your are ready to KILL in the right circumstances, which makes you a potential KILLER. Didn't the Bible say to not kill smile wink

Last edited by eyeball; 04/23/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Hmm...

When Jesus was arrested, he told Peter to put the sword away. That had nothing to do with being a pacifist as is often claimed. It was because Jesus came to die and it was his time. He didn't want Peter and the others to interfere with what he came to do and he certainly didn't want anyone other than himself to die.

You're missing the point that Jesus was in favor of his disciples being armed for self defense. So for church elders to refuse to allow good Christians to carry concealed for self defense cannot be justified by the Bible, and in fact could be construed to go contrary to Jesus' teachings.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My last pastor had a gun safe in his office, and we had church shooting matches twice per year. EVERYONE was carrying in my church.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If you are so paranoid as to feel it is necessary to carry a firearm while attending church services, perhaps you should stay home and watch one of the televangelists. After all a man's home is his fortress, I feel no need to make an armed fortress out of my house of worship.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I wonder if any of the congregation remember the pictures in elementary school of the Pilgrims on their way to church with guns over their shoulders. Too many church goers have been brainwashed into the false meekness of so many modern denominations.

Not too long ago our congregation had a regular visitor for several weeks who showed definite signs of being psychotic. He and much of the congregation did not know that he was surrounded by armed members.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by gunswizard
If you are so paranoid as to feel it is necessary to carry a firearm while attending church services, perhaps you should stay home and watch one of the televangelists. After all a man's home is his fortress, I feel no need to make an armed fortress out of my house of worship.

You are what may be considered a statistic one day.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Are you unaware of the recent rash of church shootings across the country? Just like in school zones, shooters prefer their victims unarmed. Any gun free zone can become a free fire zone for a crazy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eyeball

Except

It means your are ready to KILL in the right circumstances, which makes you a potential KILLER. Didn't the Bible say to not kill smile wink

I think the wording is commit murder, not kill.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by eyeball

Except

Nope. It tells us to not murder. Jesus, as mentioned above, on the last night before his crusifiction advised his diciples thusly:

Luke 22
35 And He said to them, �When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?� So they said, �Nothing.�

36 Then He said to them, �But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

Obviously Jesus was telling them hard times were coming for his followers. Where before they depended only on the goodness of the populous, they now must be prepared to provide for their own sustenance and well being. Jesus never intended for we his followers to be killed by our enemies.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have been carrying a firearm for well over a half a century every where I go, church is one of those places. It has nothing to do with paranoia, I won't go without insurance on my home, vehicles or health either. I also have fire extinguishers in the kitchen & shop.

As a stated by the OP, it is just another tool in the box, nothing more, nothing less.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am not bothered in the least that some attend church while armed. No clear thinking person would be.

μολὼν λαβέ
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I don't have a problem with carrying in church whatsoever.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Calling somebody paranoid for concealed carry is way over the top.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1234, 219 Wasp, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 62 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,460
Posts18,489,808
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.