Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Rifle shot much better today. With ammo it likes a hair under an inch for three shots. It positively would not shoot light bullets well at all, bit OK with the 52gr Bergers and 55gr pills of various types. Not awesome and and the rifle should be re barreled when Owen can get it done, but it will suffice for some coyote calling and not too long range rodent blasting plus medium game (deer etc) for his daughters.

It could be that this barrel, being as it is not a Bofors made barrel and is from the Garcia importing era, has never shot all that well.

It is useable now, and we know more about its potential or non potential.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm not bashing here but it shot just a hair under an inch and its now useable over the 1-1.25" groups? I guess I'm not seeing a big improvement and certainly not under the 3/4" or its down the road improvement. Am I missing something?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by bigwoods
I'm not bashing here but it shot just a hair under an inch and its now useable over the 1-1.25" groups? I guess I'm not seeing a big improvement and certainly not under the 3/4" or its down the road improvement. Am I missing something?

Sounds like it's about to go to market.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and THIS little Piggy went wee, wee, wee, wee. All the way home.....

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

That is the owners viewpoint, not mine. He said that HE was satisfied for now, even though he agrees it should get a new tube when he can manage it.

Not a big improvement for sure, but enough of one that he feels it to be useable for now. It is his only 22 centerfire so having it be gone for X number of weeks when the sage rats are out good is a bad plan.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
and THIS little Piggy went wee, wee, wee, wee. All the way home.....

What in the world did THAT have to do with this thread or making a skinny barreled Garcia era L-461 shoot?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Sounds like it's about to go to market.

Travis

Nope, he is keeping it. Great action, exceptional trigger, stunning wood and his girls shoot it well enough. Gonna re barrel it after this sage rat season winds down. If it were mine, I would do the same. Definately worthy of a re barrel job.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Varget is the wrong powder. Benchmark, H335, H322, 748 are all better with the 52's...so stop beating your head against the wall.

Varget comes into it's own with the 69's in a 223, other wise, It is hit and miss.

Good luck

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by keith
Varget is the wrong powder. Benchmark, H335, H322, 748 are all better with the 52's...so stop beating your head against the wall.

Varget comes into it's own with the 69's in a 223, other wise, It is hit and miss.

Good luck

Thanks! I will try those next for him. Might make a difference.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I have a Ruger in 223 that shoots patterns unless you feed it W748. You might try 748 if you have the chance.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the suggestion. I saw some W748 in a local fun store, might try to snag it and give it a whirl. Thanks.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by safariman
Thanks for the suggestion. I saw some W748 in a local fun store, might try to snag it and give it a whirl. Thanks.

Hey Mark, If you're coming down here anytime soon, I have a can of TAC you might give a try...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by safariman

Hey Mark, If you're coming down here anytime soon, I have a can of TAC you might give a try...

Thanks, I hear good things about that stuff, too. Don't know when my next trip might be, last one just about killed me off. Probablly need to not try that again until I am on Dyalysis.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (35, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,851 guests, and 801 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,727
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.