Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love packing my little 308 MT!

Hunting I really don't even know its there, and it balances superbly.

I've had Montana's in 257, 260, 270, 270 WSM, 7-08, 308, 30-06 and 300 WSM.

The only one I regret selling is the 260...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The thing about shaving weight from gear other than your rifle is, for the most part, making it lighter doesn't make it less enjoyable to practice with. Not that a tent or sleeping bag requires much practice.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Smoke, agreed. Hence abominations like muzzle brakes as a requirement on uber light, hard kicking rifles.

However, at the end of the day the OP only has himself to please, and this is all fun and games any way.

Just trying to share a bit of my own hard won experience, as it relates to me alone, and not intended to be the last word on the subject...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by battue
Old Grouse hunters have an often repeated line. "Legs kill more Grouse than any particular shotgun." I expect it also applies to mountain hunts for BG.

I would maintain the best way to ensure success on a mountain hunt is done in the gym on the squat rack.Secondary would be HIT cardio of some type.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by Moses
Lose some body weight. Cheaper and easier to do. If you lost only 4 ozs you wouldnt even notice. Lose a couple of lbs and it can be a game changer on the ascents/descents. My experience is only in the WV 4500 footers.

I principle I agree. However, I always carry my rifle in my hands and the difference between carrying my Montana all day vs. a typical 7.5lb rifle is significant to me. Ounces add up in that case, just like they add up in the pack for back country hunts.

This!!

If you are carrying it, every ounce matters. That said, I find you give up things in other areas, things that I am not willing to give up.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I

Anyone who claims that the .308 is "50% to 80% more accurate" than the 30-06 is spouting science fiction, especially if they claim that the reason is that powder fills the .308 case. It's easy to select powders that fill a 30-06 case. The .308 is only slightly more accurate, which is what you would expect from a lower velocity round.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I agree with the crowd that suggests buying an 84M versus an Ascent. The Montana is a better rifle.

I own a 280AI and a 257 Bob. Either will do but I've been eyeing a 308 as my next Montana.

I think the argument of not finding ammo is BS. Loosing ammo hardly ever happens and if it does, I'm sure the guide would have a back-up rifle. Plus, if you loose your ammo, you also probably lost all of your clothing.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I haven't read the whole thread, and maybe this has been mentioned, but before you decide, I'd suggest handing both the long and short actions (Montana, Classic, or ascent, doesn't matter too much). The long actions have a little longer length of pull, and even though I like my 30-06 Montana just fine, the 308 gets the nod as it handles better for me. Might be the opposite for you, but they are definitely a little different.

As far as ascent or Montana, I'd also go with the Montana. I have an aluminum trigger guard and Ti bolt handle on my 308 and the weight is only 4# 14oz. My 30-06 Montana would be about 5# 5oz if I were to do the same.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by brymoore

I think the argument of not finding ammo is BS. Loosing ammo hardly ever happens and if it does, I'm sure the guide would have a back-up rifle. Plus, if you loose your ammo, you also probably lost all of your clothing.

Mostly this is absolutely correct.

I have had it happen more than once....in Alaska where I had ammo and clothes but no rifle. Then twice where I had rifles but no duffel and ammo.I try to get to a hunt 24-48 hours early,but sometimes it doesn't help. In Alberta the stuff did not show up for 72 hours.

You travel enough, it's gonna happen.

I've taken a 7mm Dakota and a 300 H&H to Alberta....might as well have a wildcat for lack of factory ammo.

It's dawned on me that it's pretty dumb to take a rifle chambered for an odd ball cartridge to out of the way places, but I sometimes do it anyway. smile If I end up borrowing an unfamiliar rifle, I get what I deserve. blush

Your chances of finding 280AI factory stuff in Peace River or Medicine Bow are about "zero".

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I have had it happen more than once....in Alaska where I had ammo and clothes but no rifle. Then twice where I had rifles but no duffel and ammo.I try to get to a hunt 24-48 hours early,but sometimes it doesn't help. In Alberta the stuff did not show up for 72 hours.

You travel enough, it's gonna happen.

I've taken a 7mm Dakota and a 300 H&H to Alberta....might as well have a wildcat for lack of factory ammo.

It's dawned on me that it's pretty dumb to take a rifle chambered for an odd ball cartridge to out of the way places, but I sometimes do it anyway. smile If I end up borrowing an unfamiliar rifle, I get what I deserve. blush

Your chances of finding 280AI factory stuff in Peace River or Medicine Bow are about "zero".

Yep, that's certainly the most likely scenario for being without ammo. A lot of people think about losing ammo in the sense of a guy misplacing it during the trip, but travel issues are usually the culprit. If possible/practical, a guy might be well served to ship up some ammo ahead of his travels just to decrease the odds of a problem.

Having available ammo on a shelf could also be of limited help. Something is definitely better than nothing, but accuracy is going to be a roll of the dice when slinging random boolits out of a rifle.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've owned a bunch of rifles, over the last 50 years. I have a Montana in 7MM/08, that will be in the safe when I die. It's at Fosnaughs right now, being cera-koted. As someone once said on here, when they designed the Montana they got it right. Personaly i don't feel the need for any thing lighter, and I hate muzzle brakes. Buy whatever floats your boat, but give the Montana consideration.

Last edited by Bogtrotter; 04/23/14.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've never traveled anywhere that I couldn't put a factory box of ammo in the guncase, with the gun. Maybe some foreign countries won't let you but I have traveled to Alaska, Canada and Mex with no issues. The TSA has no prohibition against it.

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmm...overwhelming support for the Montana.

I wonder if that means anything to the OP?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
American Rifleman has a Write up on a ASCENT in the latest issue.

Molan Labe
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My buddy just took delivery of an Ascent in 280AI this week. I am putting a March scope on it for him and we will see how it does. Not my first choice in a scope for a lightweight rifle but I guess it's his.

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is a rather interesting combination of scope and rifle. I hope he's pleased with it and look forward to hearing your impressions after a range session or two.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I saw the scope today for the first time; a very nice scope indeed. It is too heavy for that rifle but he's set in his ways!

NRA Benefactor Member

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by AMRA

Yes, how 'bout that stellar accuracy report. Only 2K for a SOLID 2 MOA rifle. PT Barnum was right....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by AMRA

Yes, how 'bout that stellar accuracy report. Only 2K for a SOLID 2 MOA rifle. PT Barnum was right....

You surely read the potential reasons behind that 2 MOA accuracy, right?!?!? I know they don't support your crusade against Kimber, but telling half the story isn't really the right way to go about making your point.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I saw the scope today for the first time; a very nice scope indeed. It is too heavy for that rifle but he's set in his ways!

Did he go for the 2-25x42? I've never handled a March scope and would like to do so at some point. People really seem to like them.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 33 invisible), 2,232 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,702
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.