Print Thread
Hop To
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Does anybody make a 20-50-100 round cartridge box specifically sized for the Hornet? I'm tired of my cartridges rattling around in boxes like a BB in a water glass. I searched to no avail, which is not to say that such critters don't exist.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use the new green and black pin hinged boxes from MTM and glue a piece of closed cel foam in the lid to take up space, works like a charm-Muddy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't remember who made them but I use some slide top 50 round boxes that are made for the 357 I believe for Bee and Hornet boxes

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Berry's makes one that works well. It is designed for .218 Bee, but suits my .22 Hornet and K Hornet ammo nicely.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14525-c29-g8-b0-p0-404_22Horn30_M1_205_OAL_Ammo_Box.aspx

Last edited by LeonHitchcox; 04/24/14. Reason: Added link
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Gnoahhh: I have used the MTM hinged top boxes for my 22 Hornets for years now.
The ones made for the 22 Hornet are kind of hard to find/come across at retailers though.
They are marked with an orange round sticker saying: "22-HORN FOR 22 HORNET AND 30 CARBINE".
The ones I onwn/use are 50 rounders and they are assembled with an "insert" that more closely fits the 22 Hornet cases - and keeps them from dumping out internally!
Yes the 22 Hornet cartridge cases fit very well inside this insert and if you ever sell the Hornet you can remove the insert from the MTM box and the box then fits a host of other smallish cartridges.
Is it the noise that bothers you or are you worried about damage to the cartridge by the "rattling"?
Good luck to you in finding some of these MTM 22 Hornet cartridge case boxes.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Thank you for the replies. I'll grab some of those Berry's.

I have been making my own out of mahogany and cherry, 50 rounds in precisely sized holes, with sliding wooden lids. Proud of them, and they work ok for trips to the range, but definitely not for field use due to overall size and, well, not wanting to damage them.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Midway sells their "Frankford Arsenal" boxes in a.22 Hornet/.218 Bee size. I've been using them for years and never had a problem.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I like this on the best so far:

Midwayusa

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have a couple of those too, but they're far larger than required for Hornets. As a result I prefer the Frankford Arsenal boxes, because a lot more of them can fit in a range bag when I'm on a serious rodent expedition.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I can only imagine what y'all out there in the "high, wide, and lonesome" call a "serious rodent expedition" that requires bags of gear and multiple boxes of ammo. A day of varmint hunting (ie: "groundhog hunting") around here means an accurate rifle and a handful of cartridges in the pocket and some decent glass on a strap around your neck. Sit down in the clover with your back against a shade tree and wait for a target to present itself, or take a nap- whichever comes first. smile

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks guys, I too was a little stumped on locating the proper case for the hornet based cartridges. I agree with mule deer and I was not happy with the overall size of the mtm. I will order up some Frankfort's now and see if I like them

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
gnoahhh,

I've actually shot "ground hogs" in your general part of the world, in central West Virginia, and know exactly what you're talking about! Though I did fire a 50-round box of .257 Roberts ammo on one trip.

Out here I have fired over 100 rounds at rockchucks in one afternoon, and over 500 rounds at ground squirrels or prairie dogs in one day numerous times. Many of us take several rifles on shoots for "gophers" or prairie dogs, so we can let one or two rifles cool off while warming up another.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by muddy22
I use the new green and black pin hinged boxes from MTM and glue a piece of closed cel foam in the lid to take up space, works like a charm-Muddy

I like that idea and wonder why I never thought of it. My 6mm-284 loads are just a tad bit too long for the boxes commonly available for .308/7mm-08/.243 etc., so I've had to resort to boxes meant for '06-based cartridges and they're really quite a bit to spacious for my purpose.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
gnoahhh,

I've actually shot "ground hogs" in your general part of the world, in central West Virginia, and know exactly what you're talking about! Though I did fire a 50-round box of .257 Roberts ammo on one trip.

Out here I have fired over 100 rounds at rockchucks in one afternoon, and over 500 rounds at ground squirrels or prairie dogs in one day numerous times. Many of us take several rifles on shoots for "gophers" or prairie dogs, so we can let one or two rifles cool off while warming up another.

My best groundhog score was 105, up in central Pennsylvania, for a summer season consisting of Saturdays and the occasional mid-week evening. After the slaughter my buddies and I performed that summer, I sort of lost the urge to kill them. I still do from time to time, but now its more about the naps under the shade trees than the occasional killing shot at long range with an accurate rifle. For me, It's about as good to look at a fat woodchuck 250 yards away, have him dead in the crosshairs, lower the rifle and wish him a good life. Sort of like the granting of life can be as rewarding as taking it.

I guess I have my old man to blame for that. While my young pals would start blasting groundhogs as soon as they started popping out after hibernation, he cautioned me to wait until after Memorial Day so as to give the newborns a fighting chance at survival. It helps ensure a steady supply of targets and introduces another level of ethics to the sport.

Don't get me wrong, I've killed probably a thousand of the buggers, and will probably shoot a few more before I shuffle off this mortal coil. I'm just not as gung-ho about it as I was in my 20's-40's.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
River, The foam I use is from Wal-...k. It is the 2x2 pieces that are interlocking for padded floor matting, I think it comes in packages of 6 or so and is 1/2 inch thick. I just trimmed some off the side of one to use in the boxes and the rest is nice warm padded floor mat for my toasty (was 5 degrees)garage last winter when I was loading hornet ammo for gophers. I have also used bubble wrap covered w/cardboard for lid fillers to and it seems to work OK, remember that Sho-Goo is your friend! I have gone fully to the lie flat hinged lid boxes (not the one w/the integral molded hinge) cause I hate that rubbing on the back of the hand bit when removing ctgs from the old ones and you also have somewhere to throw the empty's when the gophs are looking to "R-U-N-N-O-F-T" (always one of my favorite movie lines )-Muddy

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Oh, so you knew Mrs. Hogwaller too?!

"Are any of you gentlemen versed in the metalworking trades?"

I ordered a sampling of the Berry's, and going to get a couple of the Frankford Arsenal boxes. Next thing you know I'll have to sit down at the loading bench to fill them up. Oh darn. smile

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Gno, watch out for her horse, I think it's startin' to "turn"-Muddy

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
gnoahhh, sounds like my kind of hunting. Problem here is, there are no groundhogs outside the zoo!

Best wishes,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
gnoahhh,

I'm not as gung-ho as I was a few years ago either, but usually out here the country is much more "target rich" than it is in the East. I know people who spend weeks each summer shooting thousands of rounds or more at rodent pests, but my limit is usually a few days of 100-500 rounds each.

Though a lot depends on who owns the land. If it's somebody who really appreciates thinning them out, and might allow me to wild birds or big game on the same land in thanks for my pest control, then I lean into it a little more!

John Steinbeck
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
The Amish farmers where I lived were very keen to have their fields cleared of "whistle pigs"* as they were fearful of cows and work horses stepping into the holes and breaking legs, not to mention the huge amounts of alfalfa a chuck can eat his way through.. (Not even the Amish farm much with horses any more now, so that's kind of a moot point).

I'm now prone to using the Hornet for pretty much everything short of big game. (Haha, for me deer are 'big game' anymore!) Back in the halcyon days of "pasture poodle" shooting I switched off between a .223 Ruger 1B and a bull barreled HiWall chambered in .219 Donaldson Wasp. Both wore 10x scopes- a Weaver T10 on the Ruger and a Unertl 10x on the Wasp. I carried the Wasp only when I knew I wouldn't be walking very far that day.

Sorry to wander so far off topic! (Someday I'll relate how my Mom would bushwack groundhogs in her flower beds, out the living room window with our Marlin 81DL.)

* whistle pig= ground hog= woodchuck. I've heard them whistling- rarely- but I think mainly because a sharp whistle will often get them to stand up and look around (in time for a 50gr. headache).

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

146 members (12344mag, akrange, 2500HD, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 44mc, 8 invisible), 1,861 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,084
Posts18,501,682
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.