Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

Just a general request to the Aussie members.

Like many on the 'Fire, I'm nearly as interested in the automotive gear you fellas have for hunting in the bush, as I am in the hunting itself. We hear that you have some awesome trucks and such. In fact, some links to outback camping trailers were posted recently in the general campfire forum that were really interesting.

So please don't be shy about posting photos of your rides! Thanks.

- Tom

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Toyota owns the market there but many other brands that use the Aussie scrub to test prototypes before release.

Nissan is much bigger there than in the US which was a surprise for me. Subaru's are toys for the suburbs.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
imo the landcruiser is the best suited for day to day bash through the scrub and farm life, but there are som many other brands etc. personally i like the solid front in the cruiser.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by battered
imo the landcruiser is the best suited for day to day bash through the scrub and farm life, but there are som many other brands etc. personally i like the solid front in the cruiser.

Until you go to the bowser and they are as thirsty as a drunk at Friday happy hour

All Dogs Bite
All Horses Kick
All Boats Sink
And All Guns Are Loaded
M
MOG Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have a 4.2litre Nissan patrol with coil suspension on all corners.
Eats corrugations and frankly makes the ride of the Landcruiser ute feel terrible!
I get about 15L per 100km in the scrub and 13 around town.
Here we are in Arhnemland
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Here you can see my dad taking it easy after a big morning hunt and quick fish for Barra. Of note under his head is 60 litres of water and behind that 80 extra litres of diesel. I have a 195 litre tank, there is no fuel within 100 miles so we take a lot in with us.

Hope these are what you are after.

Regards,

Mog

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

nice pics!

220 Swift still king.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'll agree the patrol rides nice, is better on fuel, but no where near as strong. There is a reason underground mines use cruisers over everything else and patrols break chassis,.......where is MLG when you need him and the patrol chassis welding pics

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I should say a 4.2 patrol is my second pic

M
MOG Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Haha! Funny guy Battered! For mining and carrying big loads the old Toyotas are great, hence the crap ride, for reliability and all round capability the Patrol wins, hence the sht load of off road titles etc.

The Toyota Landcruiser wagon is better now than the Patrol by a considerable margin thanks to some poor decisions by Nissan to go with the common platform world wide.

For you guys state side this is the equivalent of Ford v Chevvy. Both are solid and capable just the owners are very one eyed!

Regards,

Mog

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOG
Haha! Funny guy Battered! For mining and carrying big loads the old Toyotas are great, hence the crap ride, for reliability and all round capability the Patrol wins, hence the sht load of off road titles etc.

The Toyota Landcruiser wagon is better now than the Patrol by a considerable margin thanks to some poor decisions by Nissan to go with the common platform world wide.

For you guys state side this is the equivalent of Ford v Chevvy. Both are solid and capable just the owners are very one eyed!

Regards,

Mog

Of course you could ditch both and get a real 4x4: Land Rover Defender! wink

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
So you guys run mostly Diesel engines? No EPA there? Hahaha.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by viking
So you guys run mostly Diesel engines? No EPA there? Hahaha.

Most of the medium and large (by our standards) 4x4's over here are diesel these days..Typically engines are turbo diesels in the 2.2L to 3.5L range. Gas works out at around $8 per US gallon, so similar size gas engines are generally too expensive to run for most folks. Modern diesels of that size generally return from 25 mpg to 35mpg, with anything less than 30mpg seen as poor. In fact some of the more car like SUV's are getting 40mpg +..

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
OK, I'll put it down so you blokes don't ridicule us too much.

Most of us Americans are aware of the irony inherent in the fact that the best thing that we could do to protect the environment is to abolish our Environmental Protection Agency.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Anybody run modified (or stock) Suzuki Samurai's there?

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Anybody run modified (or stock) Suzuki Samurai's there?

Had to Google that model.. grin, they're sold as Jimny's here.

To answer your question, there seems to be very few on the road or off road for that matter.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I would have to say I've seen many Toyota LandCruisers out "in the sticks". I recall one property owner who used Suzuki Sierras on his property - these things would go anywhere.

I have an FJ Cruiser which gets me where I want to go off road but is not that economic, but then again I really like the performance of the 4litre V6 on the road too. If I had sense and was concerned about running costs, I would have a diesel.

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 05/12/14.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Pete E

Of course you could ditch both and get a real 4x4: Land Rover Defender! wink

Grin smile

As cool as the Defenders look, I have seen far too many broken down/getting worked on, to take one over a Land Cruiser. They do look badazz though. A Land Cruiser or a Hilux for me.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
These are the two I run around in in the Philippines. Built the 45 first, but the prado will go just about anywhere the 45 will. If it's jungle bashing the 45 gets the nod to keep damage of the prado. We pretty much stick with Toyota due to parts availibility being a problem here for anything else.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Nice

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,405 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,050
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.