Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by bigblock455
Not illegal, its a conical bullet. If it were the shed the case around it like a sabot, then it would not be legal.

Price is $24.99 per 15. Cheap than a powerbelt aerolite.

bb, have you had a chance to try them?

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not illegal, its a conical bullet. If it were the shed the case around it like a sabot, then it would not be legal.

The most expensive PB Aerolite at Midway is $21.99 Per 15.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
you ever see midways shipping price? They wanted $15 to ship one package of 295gr powerbelts the last time i went to order.

Plus its a powerbelt that flies apart. Quality some times costs a bit more, especially a copper bullet.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yup, that PB sure flew apart on the bull I shot last year. Of course, I'm not sure how bad it was 'cause the bullet exited and I never found it. How many elk have you shot with 'em? I've killed 8 or 9.

It's a wonder anybody ever killed anything before there were solid copper muzzleloader bullets.

And as far as shipping costs, what were the shipping costs for the Federal BOR bullets you found available on-line?

Graf's has Aerolites for $20.89, by the way.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
use an aerolite, mine exploded on a deer. Huge hole and lots of blood. I would not recommend them for elk though.

Federals are not out until june or july from what ive seen. I havent ordered or looked them up yet.

Use an aerolite on elk though, report back. My 250 made it through the deer, took out the lungs but did not even make it to the opposite side of the ribs. They are made to open quickly and leave a big entrance hole for fast blood. But not made to penetrate.

Last edited by bigblock455; 04/29/14.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Use an aerolite on elk though, report back.

Report back? You did read the post above? How about you use 'em on elk and report back.

I've killed 8 or 9 elk with aerolites, haven't had one get away yet. Including last year's bull below, complete pass-through. Oops, forgot, the guy who's never shot an elk with'em says that's impossible.

Saddlesore had similar results with PBs, you must remember those discussions.

[Linked Image]

Exit wound, on the point of the shoulder:

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
no, you use the AEROTIP, not Aerolite.

Finger nail size of bullet I pulled out of a small buck, this was the only piece to make it into the opposite side rib cage.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, at what point in the death of the deer did the bullet fail?

And as far as the bullets I use, yes I use the Aerotip and it works fine. Your post above slammed Powerbelts, not Aerolites.

If you use a light bullet, and push it too fast, you get what you deserve (In your case a dead deer). I've killed several Mulies with 348 Aerotips, and not one stopped the bullet.

It ain't rocket science, and open-sighted muzzleloaders don't need to shoot light bullets at high velocities.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by smokepole

The most expensive PB Aerolite at Midway is $21.99 Per 15.

This is what I am responding to. The you threw in that you shoot elk with aerolites and then posted pictures. You sure you know what bullet you're shooting? grin

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
LOL, at what point in the death of the deer did the bullet fail?

And as far as the bullets I use, yes I use the Aerotip and it works fine. Your post above slammed Powerbelts, not Aerolites.

If you use a light bullet, and push it too fast, you get what you deserve (In your case a dead deer). I've killed several Mulies with 348 Aerotips, and not one stopped the bullet.

It ain't rocket science

Exactly, you pay premium prices for a "limits" bullet grin

It ain't rocket science you know.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No limits for me, chief. Unless you think not using light bullets in a muzzleloader for big game like elk is a limitation.

I'd call it common sense.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
250gr thor for me on everything I hunt. This year... 280gr round ball.

Soft lead just isn't cool, especially with that huge hollow point.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How have the 250 Thor's performed for you on elk?

How is the expansion with those?

Soft lead may not be as "cool"as a copper bullet, but it's been working for hundreds of years. And I do think it's funny that someone who thinks a 350 grain soft lead bullet is not "cool," touts a smaller lead round ball.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Personally I have used the 385gr hornady great plains bullet and i thought they sucked butt, and it was a small doe I used it on lol. It only made it through one shoulder and expanded to the size of a silver dollar.

My smaller lead ball doesn't fragment like a 348gr powerbelt. Plus its a whooooole lot cheaper. And fun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
we're at getting close to 400 dead deer and bear with those limited 295pb bullets. 90-100gns of about anything they kill great.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What is funny Smoke is that bigblock used to be a more ardent supporter of powerbelts than you! And yes I have killed several elk with aerotips but have moved on to cheaper, tougher bullets. But I would not hesitate to use an aerotip if I had too and be confident with them. The problem with them is that people wanted to use 150 gr of powder. And that don't work with pure lead.

Venor ergo sum
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I still do use them and support them, Its just hard to recommend them for elk when a thor is a much better bullet for the job.

Even 100 grains is a problem for most powerbelts.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I expect that we'll see a bunch more variations on the copper bullet theme as a result of the EPA lead smelter shutdowns and paranoia about lead bullets.
Bring it on, I'll test a few before I make up my mind.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Tx, I wouldn't say I'm an ardent supporter of Powerbelts, but I do know they work. I just get tired of reading comments about the relative merits of Powerbelts and Thors for elk from a guy who's never shot an elk with either bullet.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
lol my forum used to be called The powerbelt forum, i educated many on how to properly use powerbelts to prevent failure.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 33 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,048
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.