Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Howdy all, I believe it is time for my first chronograph and was hoping for some help. I've been reading some reviews and it seems like the Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph is well liked but have never used one.

If anyone can give me their recommendations on which one to buy I would appreciate it.

Thanks

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have a Shooting Chrony, which I really like, and a friend has the ProChrono, and we tested them sided by side. Velocity results were basically the same, but the ProChrono had an easier time getting a reading in bright sun. If I were buying today, it would be the ProChrono.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only one name you need to know. Oehler

Last edited by Swifty52; 04/30/14.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PCD is an amazing bang for the buck. If I were spending a few hundred on one today, it'd not be a light-based model- either LabRadar, the acoustic model, or Magnetospeed.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
BurninDupont,

For a first chronograph I'd recommend the ProChrono.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another vote for the ProChrono.

They have really good customer service. When you shoot your chrono send it in and they'll fix it fast and for a reasonable cost.

smile

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you want your first chronograph to be your last also, the Oehler 35P is the best. Only downside is the cost...$575.00

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thank you JB and everyone else for your thoughts and recommendation. I am going to order the ProChrono. $575 for the Oehler is out of my price range at this time.

Good shooting everyone

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Oehler 35P.
The shopping is over.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
You will be happy with the ProChrono. Go ahead and order an extra set of sky screens while you're at it.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a ProChrono and I like it very much.No handloader should be without a chrono. Take the advice on the skyscreens and rods....you WILL shoot one eventually!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you WILL shoot one eventually!

Oh yes indeed! laugh I replaced with hardwood dowels from the rack of many sizes, can't remember which diameter.

I have an old model so I don't know but the current model should be as good or better. Mine has survived two hits to the box (now wears duct tape no less) and I'll get another if I screw up again and it's fatal. (Safe bet blush )

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Magnetospeed

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I currently have a two-screen Oehler 35. For those who've used both the model 35 and ProChrono, how much, if any, difference is there between the two in ability to read shots? And which of the two ProChrono models is everyone recommending? Thanks.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've run the ProChrono Pal (the simpler, cheaper model, around $100 retail) against an Oehler 35P by setting the ProChrono up right in front of it during a several-hour range session one afternoon, when light conditions varied from sunny to cloudy. The sun was overhead at the beginning, but heading down by the end, and every shot the Oehler picked up the ProChrono picked up, and I was shooing bullets from .17 caliber on up--which means every shot was recorded. The averages for shot velocities were within less than 10 fps.

This may seem like the ProChrono is as good, but it doesn't have the second proof channel of the Oehler, and also only has a foot of screen spacing, while the Oehler has two feet, so individual shots vary more on the PC. Also, the Oehler has a paper printout, recording each shot, and the ProChrono doesn't.

I doubt anybody who wants to break down statistics to the Nth degree will be as well-served by the ProChrono, but other than that it works very well--so well, in fact, that I bought a second one. The first tipped over one day due to a gust of wind, and had to go back to the factory for repairs.

I use the Oehler for serious chronographing, when I have an article to do, or am working up long-range loads, and want to be absolutely sure of everything, but had come to depend on the ProChrono for quicker range sessions, during preliminary stages of load work-up, since it's easier znd quicker to set up. Decided to buy a second one as a back-up--and got a really good deal, for around $90 shipped. When the first unit came back from being repaired (for $34) I tested them together and they're within 5 fps of each other. Hard to beat for the price, since unlike some other low-priced chronographs they don't miss shots.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the detailed reply Mule Deer. While my Oehler is a model 35, it only has two Skyscreens and lacks the third for the proof channel. It also does not have a printer. I picked it up from Midway maybe ten years ago for obviously quite a bit less than the 35P with proof channel. In essence, what I have sounds akin to a ProChrono with a two foot sensor spacing, given PC's reputation.

I know what you mean about the other entry level models missing shots and it's how I ended up with the Oehler. I had a first gen red one with the cardboard diffuser stands and small opening to shoot through. After suffering many years of missed shots, I upgraded to a Pact and my first time using it didn't yield any better results. So I returned it and exchanged it for the Oehler. It has been flawless.

But now I'm considering getting a MagnetoSpeed for its conduciveness to setting up on a busy range. The club I belong to has grown by leaps and bounds due to the cap steadily rising and now it's to the point of having other people there almost all the time to interrupt while setting up a chronograph. MagnetoSpeed has announced a sub-$200 unit for this summer and I'm thinking it and the PC may make a good tandem depending on what and how I'm shooting.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I was thinking about a MagnetoSpeed too, but found through trying a friend's that they aren't as good at picking up certain kinds of bullets. Also, another friend shot his, believe it or not. It had tilted a little, due to the connection loosening slightly while shooting a hard-kicking rifle. A bullet just barely clipped it, but that was enough.

I'm waiting to see how the LabRadar works out, but with an Oehler 35P and two ProChronos I'm not feeling too deprived, especially since only one of the three ranges I shoot on (the local rod and gun club's) is semi-public. Usually it's empty on weekday mornings except in October, and the few people who do show up I know well!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did you notice any difference in ability to read those bullets by changing the sensitivity level on the MS? The connection on the V3 is different so hopefully that will help with shooting loose.

I mostly use a chronograph while working up loads and when I do I usually bring several guns to the range. My MO is to shoot rounds at one charge weight then switch to another rifle and so on cycling through them to keep the chamber temperature from having too much influence on the work-up. A potential PITA I see with the MS is switching it from gun to gun as I did that. I would likely change my MO if I did get one.

The LabRadar is also appealing to me not for the downrange readings but for quick set-up and not having to switch it between barrels as I worked up loads.

In all likelihood, though, I'll just continue "suffering" my Oehler for a while longer. smile

Last edited by Whttail_in_MT; 05/03/14.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Changing the sensitivity level on the MS can help, but its big weakness, apparently, is monolithic bullets.

I don't care about the downrange readings from the LabRadar either, since 100 yards (the distance they list as maximum) doesn't provide any meaningful info for long-range shooting anyway. But the ability to just set it up on the bench next to the rifle (or handgun or shotgun) would be useful, as would being able to do the same thing when shooting prone during testing of long-range rifle loads.

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (35, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6 invisible), 1,395 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,511
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.