Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Just because it has a pad doesn't mean the stock has been shortened. I once bought a Pre-64 M-70 .30/06 off of GB that had an ill-fitted recoil pad on it and nobody would bid on it. I asked the seller to send me picture of the top rear of the stock. The "widow's peak" was still visible which means the stock had not been cut. I bought the rifle, complete with a Leupold 4X, for about $800. I then removed the recoil pad and attached a Pre-64 steel butt plate to the stock and it fit perfectly.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
GB1

G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I think this one has been cut, a little anyway and the barrel channel wood has really been cut out. So the stock is something I will play around with a little or try to replace at some point.

Any suggestions on finding the iron sights? Rule seems to say a Lyman No 16B (with the white triangle) and a Winchester No 103c .310 inch high for the front. Should I just buy the new Lyman and try to find a proper Lyman mate for the front? I'm assuming the hood will need to be Ebay, etc., or are there other sources?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rembo
Originally Posted by pal
He's saying a nearly blind man might buy it before you can get back to them. smile

At $750 with the Leupold I'd have likely sprained my wrist gettin' my wallet out...but I've been known to buy stuff other guys didn't..:-)

Me too. I think that's a great deal on the rifle pictured. I don't let stocks sway me away from a good deal. Stocks can always be swapped, whether it's for a Mcmillan or original. The rifle looks very honest to me..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Gusb
If anyone is still interested... when I get the gun home I'll put up a few closeup pictures of the action, bolt face, etc. (a few paper groups from the range - if I can hit the paper) and maybe at that point things will look one way or the other. Right now after pulling the bolt and seeing inside the action again I'm feeling overall positive about the deal and I usually lean towards the negative/dark side. smile

I'm always interested in seeing more pics. Thanks.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Got the shooter home today. Still looks pretty good overall I think. Got a few little dark marks around the primer area on the bolt face. Not great picts but more coming.
[Linked Image]

IC B2

G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G

Last edited by Gusb; 05/10/14.
G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I hate recoil pads but at my age I have accepted them and it's best not to worry about them. Even the white line. That's a good buy.

Last edited by model70man; 05/10/14.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Im out of sight blanks right now but plan on ordering a hand full, Were your gun mine I would slide a blank in there and find a bead to fill front sight, the hood is an option,many were removed back when folks hunted instead of making the 5 min walk to their favorite deerstand (like I do now!) . At 60 I find myself doing a lot less Indian hunting (walk,stalk hunt). the sight hood seemed to catch every briar and catclaw vine I had to get thru! very best WinPoor

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hope your as happy with yours as I am with mine. These guns are made to be shot and hunted with, IMHO. If you want a hunter, you got a GREAT deal.

Now, if you want to re-finish the stock, re-blue the metal, it wont make a tinkers damn but it will be a beautiful shooter you will cherish and be proud of'

You dun good son

IC B3

G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
winchester-rich, I might do a blank if I end up with a Lyman peep at some point.
Otherwise I'm thinking a Lyman No. 16B in correct, which I think I can still buy?
The front Winchester No. 103C (.310 inch high) I guess I need to find used on EBay, etc.? Would a new Lyman bead of some type work for the front?

I also want the front hood, seen a few online used but again I'm not sure if they correct.

Last edited by Gusb; 05/11/14.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I would have to pull out my Mr Rules book and do a little research to give you an educated answer. Im gonna check on my mid 80's mother and shoot a few guns at farm after feeding calves but I will look up an answer. very best

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Gusb
winchester-rich, I might do a blank if I end up with a Lyman peep at some point.
Otherwise I'm thinking a Lyman No. 16B in correct, which I think I can still buy?
The front Winchester No. 103C (.310 inch high) I guess I need to find used on EBay, etc.? Would a new Lyman bead of some type work for the front?

I also want the front hood, seen a few online used but again I'm not sure if they correct.

Sounds like winpoor is going to be busy so I'll help with some answers:

Rear sight should be a Lyman 16B. These can be found on ebay for $25.00 (approx.).

Front sight is a Winchester number 103C. Any front hood from a pre 64 model 70 will work, except for the 7mm caliber rifles. This used a different part #. 3277 vs. 3278. A word of caution on the front hoods: Beware of the unoriginals out there. Ebay has the correct front sight and sight hood as a set right now. Auction ends in 3 days..

BSA MAGA
G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Thanks for the info guys. I'm still a little confused (as usual) - can I just buy the new Lyman 16B or are they different in some way? bsa1917 - I can't seem to find that "set" for sale (EBay) but I'm still looking smile

G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Stripped the stock for refinishing. Tooth-brushed the checkering and it looks pretty good with that after market dark finish removed.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Gusb; 05/17/14.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Looks good....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gus, have you found a good 103 C front sight for that rifle yet? Here is one on ebay buddy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-Ori..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46207b8f57

I know Rule says these are supposed to have a gold bead, but most of mine are silver like this one....

Your stock is looking good too...I also mask off the checkering so it doesn't get damaged or filled in with finish. Good luck with your project and let me know if you end up buying this front sight. If not, I may snag it....

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Gusb, that is good looking wood you have there! very best on your project, keep us posted, a fellow now retired used to sell a reddish stain that matched the old Winchester look dead nuts! I would try and find a bit. I think I would pillar block bed and seal barrel channel and butt before I put the finish on. again just my 2 C. very best WinPoor

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Larry Taylor now sells John Kay's original Winchester stock oil finish...

LarTay9aol.com 520-403-1080

It's the real deal....cut it with mineral spirits or use it full strength...

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
BINGO, Mr Balltownbob, I think I have half or sometimers as I could not for the life nor 100 bucks remember John Kays name !!! very best WinPoor

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,410
Posts18,470,373
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.