-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the 60's 70's it was pretty odiferous.
Gov. Regs have changed.
If you get an inversion you can get a wiff.....but I don't think it's bad, for the most part.
If that was my biggest problem I'd still trade it for world class steelhead, salmon, smallmouth, upland birds, public OTC whitetail, mule deer or elk hunting, waterfowl, miles of hiking, biking and ATV trails, skiing, coyotes, wolves, bears, sturgeon and turkey.
Cheap living expense, taxes, fuel, housing, real estate and conservative values.

Other than that, yeah a paper mill ruins everything and pays it's workers too much.

Have Dog

Will Travel

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Reading Rock Chuck's thread on his new retirement property got me to thinking . . .

What are your top three criteria for a retirement locale?

1. Hunting and/or Fishing
3. Beach
4. Mountains
5. Nostalgia (emotional connection to the locale)
6. Gun laws
7. Cost of living
8. Cultural stimulation through history, art, etc.
9. Gastronomic opportunities
0. Pursuing a dream

or any others you might want to add.

I'm here!

Yep!

And today is Day One of retirement! laugh

Big congrats, Poob!!!!

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by wageslave
In the 60's 70's it was pretty odiferous.
Gov. Regs have changed.
If you get an inversion you can get a wiff.....but I don't think it's bad, for the most part.
If that was my biggest problem I'd still trade it for world class steelhead, salmon, smallmouth, upland birds, public OTC whitetail, mule deer or elk hunting, waterfowl, miles of hiking, biking and ATV trails, skiing, coyotes, wolves, bears, sturgeon and turkey.
Cheap living expense, taxes, fuel, housing, real estate and conservative values.

Other than that, yeah a paper mill ruins everything and pays it's workers too much.

Yes, and ID, unlike every other state in the PNW, tends not to send democrap libtards to Washington to accelerate the rest of the country's destruction.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Wanaka, New Zealand ain't all bad for a winter choice.

Was there last month. I'd love to go back.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i'm screwed

love it here, well want to live farther out in the boonies

but this is no country for old men

guess I'll forgo the medical care for other quality of life issues that are more important to me.

if/when med concerns become necessary, may be forced to make a move

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I retired at age 40. You have to take a lot of things into consideration.

Standard of living, Airports, how far to buy a gallon of milk - vs- the gas to get that gallon of milk, maybe stop drinking milk?

Start by listening to the words from the song "Luckenbach Texas"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
they can't make a map of where its best to die off imo....I'm there .....and I'm trying to stay above dirt till it comes...u can't put a price on a good time...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well a 200 to 400 sf cabin off the grid, in good game country with some decent trout fishing is all that I require. Since I am alone I don't require much room, Just a couple of good rifles, some flyrods, Cast Iron Cook ware. And a good dog. No phone, I would even consider giving the internet a toss thou that might be going to far. A simple quite life- fish when I want to, hunt in season, a good lending library that I can get to from time to time- reading good books is better for the mind and soul.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sounds like several of us have the same ideas on where we want to live/die off, I'll get "the compound" perimeters under survey. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

3. Beach
4. Mountains
6. Gun laws
7. Cost of living
0. Pursuing a dream

Just curious, but was there supposed to be a number 2?

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
. Yes, and ID, unlike every other state in the PNW, tends not to send democrap libtards to Washington to accelerate the rest of the country's destruction

Frank Church comes to mind and I refuse to call that wilderness by his name. It's Chamberlain basin to me, then and now.

Idaho sux and Lewiston stinks. laugh laugh

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bhemry

3. Beach
4. Mountains
6. Gun laws
7. Cost of living
0. Pursuing a dream

Just curious, but was there supposed to be a number 2?

It was fishing, but then I realized hunting and fishing go together like salt a pepper, so I combined them. he he wink

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am always puzzled by those that refuse to move to a better place because of family. I have an azzload of NorCal friends in this rut. When, as a parent, have you retired?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

2. Mountains
3. Nostalgia (emotional connection to the locale)
4. Gun laws
5. Cost of living
6. Pursuing a dream

7. Happy wife - Perhaps this falls under nostalgia. She's from New England and wants to go back - I told her NH is the only I could live up there and the further north the better

8. Politics - No big cities. Big cities breed liberals. Big cities take over the politics of a state.

9. Winter, or perhaps more importantly, no long hot humid summers

10. Health Care - that can handle whatever we need in aging

11. Educational opportunities - Small college is fine, community college is fine. I'd like to do some more adult ed classes and wife wants to get her masters in history.

12. Community - I enjoy doing social things occasionally and want to have a group of friends that enjoy similar.

We're about 9 years out (I'll be 60) but Littleton NH area looks promising. House on a small lake that I can row/fish/paddle on. We'll build a single story house that will suit us be accessible and suitable for us as we age.

If it wasn't for the wife I would likely end up in SW Wyoming or the Black Hills but love her and can't imagine growing old without her. My time in NH has found it full of quality people.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Too many people have wasted their life for a job and money. Later they want to live somewhere nice and spend their last days. I figured I might as well live where I would vacation and have never left Montana...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
saw this place for the first time at 9 years old

can still picture the bull moose walking out of 7 feet of water

ate grayling and fried potatoes morning, noon and night

when I graduated high school, five days later I was on a plane back to this place.

was dismayed with all the changes brought by the TransAlaska Pipeline so left for a few years.

but came back, for as the commercial says, this is the last best place....for me anyway.

but if the Ruskies grab this place, you boys in MT and WY best skooch over a bit, cause here I come

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Too many people have wasted their life for a job and money. Later they want to live somewhere nice and spend their last days. I figured I might as well live where I would vacation and have never left Montana...

That is the ideal situation. While I hate Maryland, I like my job and I have friends and I have figured out how to make the best of it. If I was 22 or even 30 and here I might do something rash but I'm 50 and it is not worth derailing this to try and move early. There are some opportunities to go north early I will pursue but right now we stick. If I was in Florida my answers might be very different!

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by shrapnel

^^^^^^^^

This. Exactly.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago I was acquainted with a guy who was making good money and so was his wife. This was in the 80's and between them they were making close to 100k a year. They'd bought some land somewhere in MT. Their plan was to save every cent and go build a nice cabin as soon as they had enough saved to retire on. At the time they were 50ish and living in a pickup camper to save everything they could. I wonder how it worked out for them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We here in Wyoming encounter those people every so often, move out here from some armpit of creation, buy 5 acres outside of town or up in the trees and build what they arrogantly call their "cabin". Log home, 5000 square feet just for the two of them with all the possible amenities. Three car garage, huge stone fireplace ( maybe two or three), Jacuzzi, 5 bedrooms each with bath, all copper kitchen, you get the idea, just a nice little "cabin". eek

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (4th_point, 257 roberts, 257_X_50, 21, 2ndwind, 6 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,017
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.