Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I went with a Davis 16X20 10 years ago and it is still going strong. Have no regrets about buying it. I did order the stove jack in the wall and when it showed up it was in the roof. After using it for several years that was a good thing!

GB1

I
I

As the owner of Elk Mountain Tents I might be a little biased :), but thought I would provide some information for those looking for a wall tent and really don�t know much about us.
First you will notice that none of the comments are from individuals that have used one of our tents or seen one. The number one comment we do get is "I love my new tent", and we promise you will too.
We understand wanting to "Buy America", but we are just not able to produce our tents in the States and keep our prices as low as we do. But don't think for a second that you not getting a top notch quality tent.
You may not have heard of us, but that will change. Unfortunately name recognition often means advertisements which equal dollars and higher overhead. We try to keep our costs down to pass on the savings to you. However, you will find us in the Washington Big Game Regulations, and will be in the Sportsman�s Northwest and Bugle Magazine this fall. We have already been working with the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundations and have got wonderful feedback from those that have had a chance to see our tents. To date, we have only had two individuals come to our sight to look at a tent and not buy one, and those two stated they plan on getting one before this fall.
You may notice that on our website www.elkmountaintents.com the two videos we have are from customers. We did not ask them to make the videos. Ask yourself when is the last time you liked a product so much that you were willing to make a video about it.
There are a lot of great companies out there; we just want to give you another affordable option at a truly high quality tent.

Good luck tent shopping.
Justin

This is one of my favorite reviews we have received as it says it like it is.

�I love my new tent and after having it out in some pretty harsh conditions a few times this year, I'm convinced that it'll last me many many years if I take care of it.
I built my own frame, which was fairly easy thanks to the plans you included. I can set it up and tear it down by myself in under 30 minutes.
I wish it wasn't made in China, but... that's the reality of the world we live in. I'd still be saving up money for a tent if I was to hold out for a Made In the US model..
Thanks for offering these tents in a price range that guys like me can still afford!�

Kind regards,
Kelly T
Ft. Collins, CO

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So what makes yours better than the other companies? I have an old 16�20�5 reliable that has rotted badly(16oz. untreated). Will you build a tent to fit my internal frame? Will you put the stove Jack where I want it? What kind of windows do you offer? What are your door options? What kind of material is your sod cloth? How long will it take? Warranty?

http://pin.it/_WJQ2xO

and FREE EYEBALL!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

No matter how you look at it, they're still made in China and the money still goes to support a country that really isn't our friend.

I know it isn't always possible to buy "Made in USA", and that you usually get what you pay for. With wall tents, there are too many USA manufacturers to consider offshore tents.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
I
Originally Posted by mog75
So what makes yours better than the other companies? I have an old 16�20�5 reliable that has rotted badly(16oz. untreated). Will you build a tent to fit my internal frame? Will you put the stove Jack where I want it? What kind of windows do you offer? What are your door options? What kind of material is your sod cloth? How long will it take? Warranty?

Sorry for not getting back to you in 2.5 years! I don't know how I missed this.

Here's what makes our tents better:

1) The polyester material is a better choice. It won't rot like typical canvas. It is also lighter but just as durable and breathable. You can request a free sample at www.elkmountaintents.com

2) Our standard tent comes with loads of features at no extra cost - 6 screened windows, zippered front door, stove jack, and ridge openings. Also included: eve ropes and tensioners, stakes, ANGLE KIT, and bags for everything. When you buy a tent somewhere else, their standard base model usually comes with nothing. They will charge you for every single window, screen, etc. If you want a tent with 6 windows, plan on paying HUNDREDS of dollars more.

3) Out tents ship to you in about 4 days after ordering. Other places consider each order a custom order and you may have to wait weeks or even months depending on how busy they are. With other companies, don't plan on ordering a tent during elk hunting season and getting it quickly.

4) This is related to #2 above, but...the price! You won't find a better price on a wall tent. Even if you do, it won't come with as many features as we offer in our base model. We are able to keep our prices low because we have low overhead. We have few employees and don't maintain a store front.

5) Our customers are happy! Check out the reviews on Facebook , Amazon, Yellow Pages, and Yahoo

To answer your other questions:
We don't build tents to fit frames, but we may already offer a tent in the size you are looking for.

Our tents already come with a stove jack in place. If you would like an additional stove jack put in at a certain spot, we can do custom features (and often do), but they are an additional cost. Just shoot me an email through the company website and I can get you a quote on any additional features you want.

The windows all come with screens. You should be able to get a pretty good idea from the pictures on our website how they work and where they are located on the tent. We can do some customization/alterations though. Contact me if you have a specific request.

The standard tent comes with a zippered door. We also offer a door with a screen. For an additional cost, we can add a zippered door in the back. We are considering maybe making rear zippered doors standard in the future, but as of right now, it is an additional feature.

We use the same material for the sod cloth. However, the material is twice as thick for the sod cloth and anywhere the tent comes into contact with the poles.

The time from ordering to arrival at your door is typically about 4 days.

The tents do come with a limited warranty, which can be read here: http://www.elkmountaintents.com/customer-service/ . However, even if not mentioned in the warranty, if you have a problem, we are really good about making sure a fair solution is found. Just shoot us a message!

Hope that answers your questions!

Justin

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Davis Tent & Awning.

Took a look @ the "Elk Mountain" website, and not impressed.

Couple reasons, primary the construction.
I don't consider it a wall tent (unless it's a military wall tent) unless it can be pitched with logs and a ridge-pole. I look at wall tents by their ridge-pole cuffs.

Davis sets the bar, those that make a comparable knock-off are worth looking at. Take a look at how the make the ridge-pole cuff and you will see what I wish to add.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You can also do the WTB thing and see if any of the guys here will let loose of a wall tent.

I think the order ones are better, and it's late in the year so many of the other places have either sold out, or selling spare.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Just a question...is there any reason you don't look at one of these?

[Linked Image]

It already comes with one of these.

[Linked Image]

Ebay link.

I went with one of these, but I do not have to contend with your miserable weather.

[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
I
I
I just realized I never shared the specs on the material used in all tents at www.elkmountaintents.com. Here they are!

It's a unique, 11oz, 100% polyester material with a breaking strength of 449lbs (warp direction) and 382lbs (fill direction), making it significantly tougher than traditional canvas which has a breaking strength of 382 (warp) and 241 (fill) for 12oz canvas and about 210 (warp) and 140 (fill) for 10oz canvas.

It's tear strength is 67lbs (warp) and 40lbs (fill). This is roughly double that of the Sunforger canvas material.

It's just as breathable as traditional canvas so you won't get the condensation issues people report about the Alaknak tents.

Last edited by idahobackcountry; 01/26/17.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,334
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.