Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I found this rifle in a local gun shop. It is a heavy barreled 22-250 Remington 700LH. I thought it might be a custom shop rifle by the appearance of the stock. The owner had it on consignment and did not know the history of the rifle. The barrel has the caliber stamped on the side, but the proof marks are underneath the barrel out of sight when the stock is in place. Check out the pictures and let me know.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

HR IC

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Looks to me like a custom shop rifle. (AKA: C-Grade) Usually the clues are: Rosewood fore-end and P/G cap. Upgrade wood, of course. And the caliber stamp on the rear of the barrel near the action. And no Remington barrel address midway down the barrel.

I have owned five Remington Custom Shop C-Grade rifles and all of the above applied to all of them. (Still own three of them...)

I've never seen one with a fore-end tip that long, tho'...

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Grasshopper,

Does the custom shop glass bed the rifles as well? This stock has been glass bedded. It looks to me like Devcon steel putty.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I really can't answer that either way. I've bought all of my used except for one .375 H&H. And that one I didn't own very long... AAMoF, I didn't even know it was a Custom Shop gun until just before I sold it. It was a std sporterweight. And way too light for that kind of power...

They have a list of options about as long as your arm, so I wouldn't be surprised if it may be bedded right from the factory.

Altho' "Custom Shop" is really a misnomer... A true Custom Shop should make you anything you want. And you can get anything you want from Remingtons ... As long as it's something they offer. smile But if you want something they don't offer, your pleas will fall on deaf ears! smile

In recent years I have seen guns for sale on Gunbroker that had the words: Custom Shop noted on the barrel. I own nine 40-X's, four Custom Shop Mod: Sevens, and C-Grades in: .243 Win, .280 Rem, and .375 H&H. And none of them have "Custom Shop" noted on the barrel. Some day, I'd like to visit Remington and take a tour of the "Custom Shop"... (If it's possible...)

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I would say that is a step up from a c grade if t is from the custom shop

nice find

Last edited by gene270; 05/12/14.
IC B2

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
I really can't answer that either way. I've bought all of my used except for one .375 H&H. And that one I didn't own very long... AAMoF, I didn't even know it was a Custom Shop gun until just before I sold it. It was a std sporterweight. And way too light for that kind of power...

They have a list of options about as long as your arm, so I wouldn't be surprised if it may be bedded right from the factory.

Altho' "Custom Shop" is really a misnomer... A true Custom Shop should make you anything you want. And you can get anything you want from Remingtons ... As long as it's something they offer. smile But if you want something they don't offer, your pleas will fall on deaf ears! smile

In recent years I have seen guns for sale on Gunbroker that had the words: Custom Shop noted on the barrel. I own nine 40-X's, four Custom Shop Mod: Sevens, and C-Grades in: .243 Win, .280 Rem, and .375 H&H. And none of them have "Custom Shop" noted on the barrel. Some day, I'd like to visit Remington and take a tour of the "Custom Shop"... (If it's possible...)

GH

Thanks for the information. It really confused when I saw it in the gun shop, since there was no writing anywhere. They had it priced cheap since they thought it was a rebarrel and not a custom shop gun. I thought it was worth the price just for the stock. I guess I got lucky smile

BTW, I too would like to visit the custom shop some day.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Gene. I am a sucker for a pretty piece of wood.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
barm - so's my wife (a sucker for fine grain figured wood). She once told me never to bring home a wooden stock rifle better looking then her dining room table. Homesteader

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Homesteader
barm - so's my wife (a sucker for fine grain figured wood). She once told me never to bring home a wooden stock rifle better looking then her dining room table. Homesteader

laugh Now that there's funny! grin

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Homesteader,

Initially I wasn't going to buy the rifle because it was left-handed and I shoot right-handed. When I got home later that evening I told my wife I saw a beautiful wood stock and the shop was selling it for a song. She wanted to go look at it. When we were at the shop, I looked at her and said, "What do you think boss?" She said, "Buy it." I am so glad she loves it too.

IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Those are all Remington barrel markings. The REP stands for Remington English Proof. My guess is also that it's a "C" grade from the custom shop, possibly with the "upgraded wood". I currently have five custom shop models and one of them has "Remington Custom Shop" or something along those lines on the top of the barrel about 1/2 way back from the muzzle. It's a later version.

Looks like I'm not the only one around here who's a sucker for good looking wood. Nice snag.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the information about the proof marks. I didn't know what they meant. I used to own a bunch of synthetic stocks and still have some, but a pretty piece of wood just feels right.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Some lefty's would like to ID that one as "theirs"....nice buy.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Those are all Remington barrel markings. The REP stands for Remington English Proof. My guess is also that it's a "C" grade from the custom shop, possibly with the "upgraded wood". I currently have five custom shop models and one of them has "Remington Custom Shop" or something along those lines on the top of the barrel about 1/2 way back from the muzzle. It's a later version.

Looks like I'm not the only one around here who's a sucker for good looking wood. Nice snag.

I have always wondered what that "REP" stood for. Thanks for posting that. Of all the Custom Shop rifles I have owned, I have never seen one (in the flesh...) that had Custom Shop noted on the barrel.

I have come to believe that from Remington Custom Shop about anything is possible. (But don't bet on it...) smile

GH

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I looked at your photo of the barrel marks again and noticed the "BI" along with the other stamps. I'm guessing that "BI" indicates an assembly date of January, '88 with the first letter indicating month and the second, '88.

On most factory rifles, there is a two or three letter code of the ass'y date and it is usually located on the left side of the barrel, just above the wood line and forward of the recoil lug.

There were a few years when they didn't date mark normal production rifles or custom shop versions. One of my custom shop 700's and one of my 40-XB's have no date marks. If you call Remington and ask for the historian, they can give you a ball park date (year) of mfg. based on serial number but the serial number just shows when the receiver was made, not when the rifle was assembled.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I looked at your photo of the barrel marks again and noticed the "BI" along with the other stamps. I'm guessing that "BI" indicates an assembly date of January, '88 with the first letter indicating month and the second, '88.

On most factory rifles, there is a two or three letter code of the ass'y date and it is usually located on the left side of the barrel, just above the wood line and forward of the recoil lug.

There were a few years when they didn't date mark normal production rifles or custom shop versions. One of my custom shop 700's and one of my 40-XB's have no date marks. If you call Remington and ask for the historian, they can give you a ball park date (year) of mfg. based on serial number but the serial number just shows when the receiver was made, not when the rifle was assembled.

Thanks. I wasn't sure how to decipher the markings. I will call Remington with the serial number to see when the receiver was made.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have the Remington book. What range is the Serial#? According to Remington select 700 receivers were pulled up to several years before building them. The triangle mark to the right of the proof mark is the magnaflux stamp.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 05/14/14.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,176
Posts18,503,222
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.