Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I work in the court system. I see first hand the personal carnage that methamphetamine wreaks in the lives of people who use it. At least four things happen: their health goes to [bleep] (which means I have to pay for their decision to abuse drugs); their kids turn to [bleep] (which means I have to pick-up the tab for them too); they turn to property crimes to feed their habit (which means they steal my property and I have to pay for police protection and jails in consequence of their behavior) and finally, they can't work, which means I have to buy their groceries and pay their rent.

So if drug use goes way up (which it will with legalization, don't kid yourself) then these negative externalities will also skyrocket.

How is that situation a "solution"?

Last edited by RobJordan; 05/17/14.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RobJordan
...Without question, drug use will skyrocket. ...

Wrong!

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
But how will this make things better?
In many ways. In addition to the ways I already explained above, there would be no drug war constantly pumping up the police to ever greater levels of power to disregard our fundamental rights. This will save tremendously on the cost of police forces, as well, since drugs being legal will also suddenly be cheap, thus no need for the commission of crimes to support habits, and no gang wars over drugs, since drugs would no longer be particularly profitable in the underground economy.

But what I am interested in is the negative externalities associated with increased drug use. Without question, drug use will skyrocket. How is that a "solution"?

I agree with Bill Buckley on this question, viz., "I came to the conclusion that the so-called war against drugs was not working, that it would not work absent a change in the structure of the civil rights to which we are accustomed and to which we cling as a valuable part of our patrimony. And that therefore if that war against drugs is not working, we should look into what effects the war has, a canvass of the casualties consequent on its failure to work."

"I have not spoken of the cost to our society of the astonishing legal weapons available now to policemen and prosecutors; of the penalty of forfeiture of one's home and property for violation of laws which, though designed to advance the war against drugs, could legally be used -- I am told by learned counsel -- as penalties for the neglect of one's pets. I leave it at this, that it is outrageous to live in a society whose laws tolerate sending young people to life in prison because they grew, or distributed, a dozen ounces of marijuana. I would hope that the good offices of your vital profession would mobilize at least to protest such excesses of wartime zeal, the legal equivalent of a My Lai massacre. And perhaps proceed to recommend the legalization of the sale of most drugs, except to minors."

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Will you start snorting coke, shooting heroin or smoking meth Rob, just because it's legal?

I know I wouldn't...

No. Neither would I start committing pre-meditated murder if they outlawed capital punishment. But many people will to decide ingest drugs once they are legalized based on that criteria alone (i.e., its no longer against the law). All of the research affirms this. I know of no social scientist or even informed lay person who thinks otherwise.

I am just asking how TRH's proposal is a solution. Maybe it is, but he really hasn't addressed my question yete.

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
But how will this make things better?
In many ways. In addition to the ways I already explained above, there would be no drug war constantly pumping up the police to ever greater levels of power to disregard our fundamental rights. This will save tremendously on the cost of police forces, as well, since drugs being legal will also suddenly be cheap, thus no need for the commission of crimes to support habits, and no gang wars over drugs, since drugs would no longer be particularly profitable in the underground economy.

But what I am interested in is the negative externalities associated with increased drug use. Without question, drug use will skyrocket. How is that a "solution"?

I agree with Bill Buckley on this question, viz., "I came to the conclusion that the so-called war against drugs was not working, that it would not work absent a change in the structure of the civil rights to which we are accustomed and to which we cling as a valuable part of our patrimony. And that therefore if that war against drugs is not working, we should look into what effects the war has, a canvass of the casualties consequent on its failure to work."

"I have not spoken of the cost to our society of the astonishing legal weapons available now to policemen and prosecutors; of the penalty of forfeiture of one's home and property for violation of laws which, though designed to advance the war against drugs, could legally be used -- I am told by learned counsel -- as penalties for the neglect of one's pets. I leave it at this, that it is outrageous to live in a society whose laws tolerate sending young people to life in prison because they grew, or distributed, a dozen ounces of marijuana. I would hope that the good offices of your vital profession would mobilize at least to protest such excesses of wartime zeal, the legal equivalent of a My Lai massacre. And perhaps proceed to recommend the legalization of the sale of most drugs, except to minors."

You're evading the question---and no young person is serving a life sentence for selling a few ounces of MJ. (Would that it were true?! crazy ) I notice that Sri Lanka and other such counties have very little problem with drugs. wink

In our county and (surrounding counties) there are massive social service structures in place who are quite busy taking custody of children who are horribly abused and neglected because their parents are meth heads. Our jails are quite well populated with men who beat their wives (and their kids) while high on meth. The case load for these service and police agencies is going to go way up in certain respects with legalization. How is that a solution? Just askin.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Rob---You are so wrong it's not even funny. The fact that you work and derive your income from the "court system" is enough impetus for you to continue with your war on drugs. Without the failed war many jobs like yours would dry up.

I understand your position better now. It's not supported by your care of freedom or your love for your neighbor but rather it's founded in the need for self-preservation. In this case $$ money $$.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
As Buckley said 1) the War On Drugs is, according to all measures, an abject failure, and 2) there have been highly undesirable consequences to our society which have been observed since the start of the War On Drugs, which he gave a few good examples of. That's enough for me right there. Logically, there's no need in my opinion to proceed further than that in order to convince any reasonable, liberty loving, American to see the wisdom of drug legalization for adults.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I work in the court system. I see first hand the personal carnage that methamphetamine wreaks in the lives of people who use it. At least four things happen: their health goes to [bleep] (which means I have to pay for their decision to abuse drugs); their kids turn to [bleep] (which means I have to pick-up the tab for them too); they turn to property crimes to feed their habit (which means they steal my property and I have to pay for police protection and jails in consequence of their behavior) and finally, they can't work, which means I have to buy their groceries and pay their rent.

So if drug use goes way up (which it will with legalization, don't kid yourself) then these negative externalities will also skyrocket.

Drug use regarding the hard and deadly drugs will not go up. If anything, it will go down. Lots of people start drugs BECAUSE it's illegal and provides a thrill. Take that away and I believe in the long run fewer will get involved. Most everybody knows the issues that come with meth, crack, and heroin. None of those issues encourage use, but some get caught up just because they went in for the thrill of doing something illegal. Probably started with pot and found their life ruined when they got involved with the real [bleep].

You can never have a worse society with more freedom, but that would also require that entitlements be severely curtailed as they are contra-freedom and responsibility not only encouraged but mandated.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Rob---You are so wrong it's not even funny. The fact that you work and derive your income from the "court system" is enough impetus for you to continue with your war on drugs. Without the failed war many jobs like yours would dry up.

I understand your position better now. It's not supported by your care of freedom or your love for your neighbor but rather it's founded in the need for self-preservation. In this case $$ money $$.

Re-read my posts. All I have done is ask questions!! None of which have been answered.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RickyD

Drug use regarding the hard and deadly drugs will not go up. If anything, it will go down. Lots of people start drugs BECAUSE it's illegal and provides a thrill. Take that away and I believe in the long run fewer will get involved. Most everybody knows the issues that come with meth, crack, and heroin. None of those issues encourage use, but some get caught up just because they went in for the thrill of doing something illegal. Probably started with pot and found their life ruined when they got involved with the real [bleep].

You can never have a worse society with more freedom, but that would also require that entitlements be severely curtailed as they are contra-freedom and responsibility not only encouraged but mandated.

Every piece of social science research on the subject says it will go up, way up. Many, many people do not use or consume less than they otherwise would due to the fear of apprehension. Wherever drug use has been de-crimialized, consumption has dramatically risen. Look what happened when we legalized alcohol.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Horseschitt. Those with a propensity to use drugs will. Those who don't wont. Just like alcohol and alcoholics.

The only thing legalization will do is undermine the black-market profits that the dealers and suppliers are exploiting now.

When was the last time you heard of liquor merchants having a shootout or organizing into criminal organizations?

BTW, since we are exhibiting our bona fides, I too work in the legal industry on the street where it all takes place.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
As Buckley said 1) the War On Drugs is, according to all measures, an abject failure, and 2) there have been highly undesirable consequences to our society which have been observed since the start of the War On Drugs, which he gave a few good examples of. That's enough for me right there. Logically, there's no need in my opinion to proceed further than that in order to convince any reasonable, liberty loving, American to see the wisdom of drug legalization for adults.

Right. But is precisely my concern for my liberty that has me asking these questions. If consumption skyrockets (which it will) then all of tne negative externalities associated with increased drug use and addiction will also skyrocket. (See my posts agove.) WHO PAYS FOR all THAT!!! Can you guaruntee me that my taxes will not go up in consequence?? Can you promise me the roads will be safer, the environment for my children better with millions of meth heads running around? Its not sufficient for me to simply have you quote Bill Buckley.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Rob---I did re-read your posts and I don't want this debate to go south because I think you're a good guy but on this issue I KNOW you are completely wrong.

Your war on drugs has been a failure and you admit that it has been.

In our county and (surrounding counties) there are massive social service structures in place who are quite busy taking custody of children who are horribly abused and neglected because their parents are meth heads. Our jails are quite well populated with men who beat their wives (and their kids) while high on meth. The case load for these service and police agencies is going to go way up in certain respects with legalization. How is that a solution? Just askin.

How could that be Rob? It's illegal and your "war on drugs" is the solution.

BTW---The jails are full and the court system is overwhelmed BECAUSE of the war on drugs. I don't think that legalizing all drugs will make those folks predisposed to drug use stop nor do I believe that non drug users will begin shooting heroin. What I do know is that those in jail for possession wouldn't be clogging the system for victim less crimes.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Horseschitt. Those with a propensity to use drugs will. Those who don't wont. Just like alcohol and alcoholics.

The only thing legalization will do is undermine the black-market profits that the dealers and suppliers are exploiting now.

When was the last time you heard of liquor merchants having a shootout or organizing into criminal organizations?

BTW, since we are exhibiting our bona fides, I too work in the legal industry on the street where it all takes place.

Funny you ask. Alcohol abuse is a huge problem where I live. As a consequence we see: increasd health care costs, increased domestic violence (I would estimate 90% of our DV cases are alcohol or drug related), increased intra-family conflict and dysfunction and increased risk to public safety from intoxicated drivers. Interestingly, DUI's have decreased nationally with mandatory license suspension (i.e., mandatory, harsher punishment).

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...The only thing legalization will do is undermine the black-market profits...

...and reduce crime and furlough a bunch of LE.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by KDK
You do realize that the video is almost a year old, right? As I recall, it cased a minor uproar, and the reverends sharpton and jackson went back to making money off of racism.

This is old news.

Read though his talking points and you will see that he has been finding these �acorns� for years.

He can�t walk on water and does not always hit home runs, gun control and the Second Amendment would be his weakest link.

But his home runs are awesome and he reaches out farther to more people than anyone I can think of.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Rob---I did re-read your posts and I don't want this debate to go south because I think you're a good guy but on this issue I KNOW you are completely wrong.

Your war on drugs has been a failure and you admit that it has been.

How could that be Rob? It's illegal and your "war on drugs" is the solution.

BTW---The jails are full and the court system is overwhelmed BECAUSE of the war on drugs. I don't think that legalizing all drugs will make those folks predisposed to drug use stop nor do I believe that non drug users will begin shooting heroin. What I do know is that those in jail for possession wouldn't be clogging the system for victim less crimes.

No, they're not. That's a myth. California has practically legalized possesion of hard drugs. Anyone caught gets diversion or treatment. Drugs aren't a major resource problem for law enforcement and the courts in my neck of the woods.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by pal

Not just LEO but attorneys, counselors, jailers and other gov't tit sucking leaches. wink

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by pal

Not just LEO but attorneys, counselors, jailers and other gov't tit sucking leaches. wink
Exactly.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,724
Posts18,475,825
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.