Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Z
Zs84 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Pros, cons I'm craving a thumper. There happens to be one of each available locally.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably easier to find brass & bullets for the .45-70. Both are effective killers. I stumbled across a black pad .45-70 a couple years ago, and like it a lot. It shoots well with stout loads of H4198, under the Barnes 300 gr TTSX.

But if I found a 9.3x74 with really nice wood, I'd probably buy one of those, too smile It probably would shoot flatter with top loads, than the .45-70.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Ruger #1 in 45-70 which I like a lot, but do not have, nor have I ever even fired, a 9.3X 74, so I can't compare them.

That's not much help, but that's all I have.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I own both. The .45/70 is obviously more "practical" but the 9.3 offers more ranging ability and there's something about the romance of the 9.3x74R....

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have both... (In fact I have two in 9.3x74R...) I would bet that they made far more in .45/70 than in the 9.3... Therefore, logic tells me that the more rarer one would be the better buy. If you decide at a later date, to buy the other, the .45/70 would be far and above easier to find...

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
9.3 x74R

I had this 9.3 up for sale a year or so ago.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 9.3x74 hands down, 9.3mm bullets are much more sleek than 45 cal slugs so would be better in the wind. I never realized how much the wind pushed around the 45-70 until I had a very nice SS laminate No 1.

Grasshopper makes a great point too....

Gerry.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, I have tried .45-70s in several different iterations over the years and have never warmed up to them. However, I am primarily a hunter and not a shooter, so it may just be that they don't suit my needs. I have a No. 1-S in 9.3x74R that is my primary elk rifle. It does suit my needs. One of these days, I will take a deer or two with it, just for the hell of it, but it really doesn't work for the way that I hunt deer and pronghorns. If I ever get back to Africa, it damned sure will go with me.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IF anyone is in need of dies, brass and bullets for the 9.3-74R,send me a PM, I've got a pile. I sold my rifle a couple of months ago....Loved it, just had no need for it any longer.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Z
Zs84 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Much obliged for the replies thus far. The 9.3 has better wood. The 45/70 is one of the latest production runs and the wood looks like a packing crate. I have no interested what so ever in loading the 45/70 up to full power loads. There are also the unseen 9.3x62s slated to come out, but I think the rimmed version screams single shot.

IC B3

Z
Zs84 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Much obliged for the replies thus far. The 9.3 has better wood. The 45/70 is one of the latest production runs and the wood looks like a packing crate. I have no interested what so ever in loading the 45/70 up to full power loads. There are also the unseen 9.3x62s slated to come out, but I think the rimmed version screams single shot.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I agree that a rimmed cartridge does scream single shot. The 9.3x74R is one that I would love to play with. One of our late members, Timberline, did a write up of an antelope hunt with just such a No. 1. Ever since that story the 9.3x74R has been on my radar.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Timberline's 9.3:

[Linked Image]

I had the good fortune of putting it to use one fall when I was hunting with my boys- (and had the further good fortune of sharing that event in some detail with Timberline):

[Linked Image]

It does scream 'single shot', even 'single shot #1' perhaps, with that long sleek rimmed case. (I had no trouble loading and emptying 3 cartridges when the time came for business either. grin )

I have loved my 45-70 longer:

[Linked Image]

.........and it has been on more adventures:

It was my first #1 which I acquired new in the '90s. I'm pretty certain the 45-70 was more or less a standard caliber for 20 years or better and they were as common as dirt for awhile. I really like both of these #1-S rifles. They feel so 'right' in my hands and are hard to tell apart in balance though I'd probably give the nod to the fatter bore in the handling department - just by the slimmest margin. In the light 'S' platform they can both come backwards pretty hard but the 45-70 does provide a deeper sense of punishment than the 286 grain bullets common for the 9.3.

The 9.3 gives you similar characteristics to the 375, but in a handier package. Brass for the 375 is much easier to find, of course, and less expensive. I also prefer to bang away with the 375 since the #1 version has better recoil damping than the lively 9.3.

One day I'll probably use my 9.3 to land a moose. I had a 286er on the launch pad and ready while my 10 year-old aimed two 140s at this moose with the 270 he was using:

[Linked Image]

His bullets sailed true however so I never even warmed the barrel of the 9.3 that day.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is certainly a good use for his former rifle. That grizz looks to have been a very old bear.

Gerry.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Zs84

I always had the impression that in the past, Ruger tended to use nicer wood on the 45-70's than their other chamberings. At least when there were multiple No. 1's on the rack, the 45-70's generally had the best wood. That said, I have one in 9.3x74 and wouldn't trade it for a 45-70. I do have 45-70's in other rifles and wouldn't be without one. In the No. 1, I prefer the 9.3...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The observation that Ruger wood has gone downhill is accurate but not really a problem. Last year I purchased a 450/400 that actually went on safari. It looks new but the wood was really plain. Found a 45-70 from 1976 that had great wood along with 10 coats of spar varnish. The hardest part was getting the AH fore ends stained to match their "new" buttstocks. (different bbl channel size).
The 45-70 went down the road at a break even price to a hunter who could care less about figured wood. The 45-70 stock, refinished and checkering recut now graces the 450-400. No doubt the only red pad 450-400 existing.

If you want to see about the ultimate factory No.1 wood (that got away) go to the Amoskeg auction site, look at the 5/17 auction's featured items, #694.

I'm sure the hammer price will fill my stein with tears.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I've done something similar - decided I needed a No. 1 in 375 H&H. Called around and located one about a 4 hour drive away and was told it had "nice wood". Made the drive and walked up to the row of No. 1's - one really stood out from the others. It was a 45-70 and the 375 was right next to it with very plain wood. I was disappointed, but ended up buying both. The forends matched very close so I swapped out the butt stocks and sold the 45-70. A few years later I traded the 375 for a 450/400 with very plain wood and the shop I worked with let me swap the wood as part of the deal with a small fee for their gunsmith to verify the fit of the wood. crazy

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Get the 9.3x74R. Much better than the .45-70 all the way...!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGray

I always had the impression that in the past, Ruger tended to use nicer wood on the 45-70's than their other chamberings.

You might be on to something...

[Linked Image]

My .45-70 on the far right, helping guard an original Hepburn

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I always had the impression that in the past, Ruger tended to use nicer wood on the 45-70's than their other chamberings. At least when there were multiple No. 1's on the rack, the 45-70's generally had the best wood.

That has NOT been my experience. I had always thought that very plain wood was the norm. I have owned an obscene amount of No: 1's over the years, and most have been very plain. Probably about 10% of them had nice wood. But of the 20 or so in the safe, most are fairly plain. But then I never bought them to look at. I bought them to use.

I have one chambered in 9.3x74R that has nice wood, but it is an assembled semi-custom rifle. I bought one in .270 with badly abused wood. Stripped it for the action and had it rebarreled with a tapered Octagon barrel. Custom schnable fore- stock, and a nice factory buttstock. It is one of my favorites. And I built it before Ruger pulled a fast one on me and factory chambered that caliber. In fact, I'd have made a sizable bet that Ruger would NEVER have factory chambered the 9.3x74R. Seems like every time I build a custom in a chambering they don't make, they come out with it. frown Like the 9.3x62... Such is my luck...

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have a number of 45-70's, none in a #1. I have a 9.3x62, no 9.3x74R.

I would get the 9.3x74R based on the "cool" factor and the way that caliber performs. It'll be much better at longer range and will kill like a hammer. I know the 45-70 hits'em hard, but the 9.3x74R is one round your neighbors and good buds at the range won't have. And that's priceless... cool

For everything else, there's MasterCard... grin

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IME, really good wood is never seen on anything but a red pad. Some black pads may have nice grain but the grain is so open you could toss a cat into it.

What I am talking about:

300 H&H (ex 30-06)

[Linked Image]

7x57 and 375 H&H (latter sold for a better red pad)

[Linked Image]

"new" 375 H&H

[Linked Image]

450 Nitro Express 3&1/2 (pad added)

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Those are nice.

My .220S #1 has some good wood, maybe not as good as those, but not bad.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
zeus994 is non other than Larry Root...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by FOsteology
zeus994 is non other than Larry Root...

OOPS... shocked

And here I am, comparing stocks with him. At least mine belong to me, sleep in my safe at my shop... cool

Thanks for the heads up... smile

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Those are nice.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You didn't by chance, buy that in San Angelo, Tx, did you? smile I still remember one there, from 20 years ago.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well DF if you chose to believe a serial liar like FO who spends a workday, not at work, but on the dole, that's up to you. I can tell you he is so scared of a 72 year old man, that he is afraid to accept PMs from me. (Chuckle)

Your rifle is a very nice red pad.

If you wish to see those No.1s that are, of course, all mine, why don't you hop a plane up to Pinedale in late June and I'll be happy to show them all to you ?
If I can't, I'll pay your round trip airfare First Class and toss in an extra $1000 for your inconvenience and a sidetrip to Yellowstone.

Here it is in black and white which makes it a binding contract.

Sad to see so many otherwise rational people falling for the BS of cowards and serial liars like FO and dear old Robert Brown aka bricktop.

"zeus994 is non other than Larry Root..." and just who is FO ? (I think he was trying to say "none other" but too much government cheese can mess up your brain)

Let me know when you're coming.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
I always had the impression that in the past, Ruger tended to use nicer wood on the 45-70's than their other chamberings. At least when there were multiple No. 1's on the rack, the 45-70's generally had the best wood.

That has NOT been my experience. I had always thought that very plain wood was the norm. I have owned an obscene amount of No: 1's over the years, and most have been very plain. Probably about 10% of them had nice wood. But of the 20 or so in the safe, most are fairly plain. But then I never bought them to look at. I bought them to use.

I have one chambered in 9.3x74R that has nice wood, but it is an assembled semi-custom rifle. I bought one in .270 with badly abused wood. Stripped it for the action and had it rebarreled with a tapered Octagon barrel. Custom schnable fore- stock, and a nice factory buttstock. It is one of my favorites. And I built it before Ruger pulled a fast one on me and factory chambered that caliber. In fact, I'd have made a sizable bet that Ruger would NEVER have factory chambered the 9.3x74R. Seems like every time I build a custom in a chambering they don't make, they come out with it. frown Like the 9.3x62... Such is my luck...

No doubt my impression is based on a much smaller sampling than yours, and I certainly wouldn't argue that wink
And then there's that tex n cal fellow that posts more gorgeous No.1's than I've ever imagined grin

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think if I wanted to go to Pinedale, I'd just hitch a ride with Bricktop... shocked

As far as FOst is concerned, I'd ride with him any day of the week... cool

BTW, I do know his name and where he lives. That's a much easier one to figure than playing hide and seek in Key West and Wyoming... blush

Get a life, Larry. Hopefully somewhere else...!D

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Poor Larry, you're just jealous as you're a "never was". Never done anything positive and useful with your pathetic life. And now you're lamenting the cruel misfortunes of your miserable existence, forced to suffer your last days in the turmoil of having gone so wrong, oh so often....

Cheer up, at least my tax $$ are helping to fund your meager social security check. Go pretend to buy some more rifles!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well DF, see you're just another bag of gas rather like Bricktop. As for playing hide and seek it appears to me that you trolls spend far more time doing that than any real men on the site. It would be nice if all three of you did share a ride and come to Pinedale, it would be a real adventure for you all.

As for FO at least his avatar is accurate in depicting one of the lower species.

At least "my pathetic" life doesn't find me in the armpit of Texas sitting at home while contributing members of society are at work.

As for you, well what can anyone say about central lousyanne except it's a good place to be from.

If I really cared about finding either of you, it might take a week and a few grand from public records information, but I'd rather spend the money pretending to buy guns like this 7 mag Super Grade I bought right here from a gentleman who (as in all cases) was not adverse to taking my money in spite of all your effort to slander me with endless lies. (LMAO)

I keep the members' pockets filled with cash, you just babble about lies that no one really cares about. Money talks, BS walks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by zeus994; 05/19/14.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Same ole Larry...

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Flush....

Goodbye, Larry.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Flushed down the crapper like the stinking POS he is...

Larry Root is a troublemaker. Larry Root is a troll. Proved by him immediately returning via a new alias. No doubt he has other aliases which we will also ban every time they appear. Like virtually every other shooting forum.

Larry Root has been banned from almost every forum there is and one reason people follow him around wherever he goes is due to his behaviour on each and every forum.

I also ran a thread on the Admins and Moderators forum asking if he should be given a second chance and no one agreed with that option.

He is banned and banned permanently.
grin

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Those are nice.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You didn't by chance, buy that in San Angelo, Tx, did you? smile I still remember one there, from 20 years ago.

Now that the side show has been dealt with, I'll try to answer your question.

I've had that gun so long, I'm having to remember way back about where I got it.

I think it was CDNN or J&G Sales who started selling their #1's by grade of wood. Back then, Ruger was using some pretty nice wood. The plain ones were tight grained Walnut, the nicer ones were pretty fancy. They had a moderate premium for wood selection, not that much as I recall.

This one has a Klepplinger single set trigger that I got from Brownells before they got so expensive (check the current price) and fitted it myself. The scope is a 4200 6-24x40 A/O matte duplex, which is long enough to easily fit the #1. I like my scopes set back a bit and that's hard to do on a #1 with shorter scopes. Ring/base positioning is my biggest complaint about the Ruger #1 and why I only have this one.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those are nice.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've had that gun so long, I'm having to remember way back about where I got it.

I think it was CDNN or J&G Sales who started selling their #1's by grade of wood. Back then, Ruger was using some pretty nice wood. The plain ones were tight grained Walnut, the nicer ones were pretty fancy. They had a moderate premium for wood selection, not that much as I recall.

This one has a Klepplinger single set trigger that I got from Brownells before they got so expensive (check the current price) and fitted it myself. The scope is a 4200 6-24x40 A/O matte duplex, which is long enough to easily fit the #1. I like my scopes set back a bit and that's hard to do on a #1 with shorter scopes. Ring/base positioning is my biggest complaint about the Ruger #1 and why I only have this one.

DF
I'm going to guess that was either a first or second year .220 Swift (1979 or 1980). For whatever reason, Ruger put much better than average wood on those.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Bricktop,

Not sure when I got it, those dates could be close. The serial # is 132-126XX.

I once had a 4 digit .243 1B. Traded it.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The serial # is 132-126XX.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, Brick.

You not half the bad dude they're claiming... laugh laugh

Good job, you and FOst, sweeping up here on the Fire... cool

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those are nice.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

DF

Thanks. That one in San Angelo I saw in the shop several times, as it was on the way to my deer lease, but I never had the money to buy it. I finally had the money one day, and of course it was gone frown

I try to only buy the ones with good wood, though I have a couple that were inherited and are fairly plain. The .45-70 and .30-40 pictured above are the best two I own. smile

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I agree with the early red pad ones having the best wood.

But, most rules are there to be broken...

I think that's a true statement, generally speaking, exceptions notwithstanding.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I think that's a true statement, generally speaking, exceptions notwithstanding.

DF

I have to say I think it is the roll of the dice.

I have had many red pads with so-so wood.

I have had some black pads with exceptional wood. (Larry, I don't think you could throw a cat in them, but never tried.)

I could post a couple black pads with nice wood, & some red pads with less than inspiring, but both would be skewed by my own selection bias.

Mitch

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, I wouldn't put much credence in Larry's cat throwing antics... shocked

Exceptions can become the rule... cool

I would think Ruger could get a premium for select wood, have two grades of guns. I paid a bit more for my rifle because of the fancy wood. Would do it again.

DF

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
My 9.3x74r
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's really a fine one, better than most 9.3's I see smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What I like about my .45-70 is the figure is very consistent on both sides. It's on the left in both photos...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now, that circassian wood, on the Cabelas .30-40, would not be out of place on a Purdey or a Holland & Holland
smile

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Very nice, both.

I guess that makes the point for nice wood on a black pad gun...

DF

Z
Zs84 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Well I eye balled the two Rugers over this afternoon. The 9.3 is definately the prettier gun. I'm thinking I might give the new NECG ghost ring sight a try with it I've got a couple m8 4x28s lying around too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Post a pic when you get it home...

Ben

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mildly jealous. What figure there is in mine is all on one side--the other side is just pretty much straight grain:

[Linked Image]

Ben

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
We'll mudhen, you could say that gun was "half azz" fancy... laugh

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Plateau Hunter,

Nice stick of wood on that 9.3X74R for sure. I had one with just okay figure on one part of one side.

BUT!!! Do you have a cat? Have you given it the cat test?

Dirt Farmer,

I believe the reason Ruger has never made "Grade I, Grade II" on the No.1's is it keeps guys like me looking for the beautiful wood as a bonus.

Tex,

You have some beauties!!! That .45-70 GOVT. Medium Sporter is just one of them. But I know for a fact that you are a beautiful wood seeking whore just like me!!!! wink

Getting my new safe wresteled into place this evening. The gal who lives in our basement, a nursing student, asked me if I was prepairing for the Zombie Apocolypse?

I told her the 18 Ruger no.1's she was looking at in the ammo room would not be the proper medicine.

Then I showed her what was in the spare bedroom.

[Linked Image]

OK, I'm a nut job.
(Not Zombie food!!!)

Mitch

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Zs84,

If you reload, and you say that the 9.3X74R is a looker, and available for close to equal price, I would go for the 9.3X74R in a heartbeat!!!

As always. Don't make me post this reminder.

[Linked Image]

Z
Zs84 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Conquering photobucket is on my bucket list. The 9.3 is boxed up off the shelf waiting for my return. Like others this one has figure on one side of the stock. Little Crow sports has a nice looking one on gunbroker but the local shop would like to see it gone.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

DF
No, I'm referring to the first couple of years of the .220 Swift in the 1V specifically.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I decided it was time to update the photo...

[Linked Image]

There are two guns not shown, a .375 H&H, and a Liberty .243, that are salt wood guns and are being remediated at the moment.

L to R - .30-40 Cabelas, .25-06 1V, 1S .45-70, 1H .458, 1S .475 Turnbull, Liberty .270 1B, Liberty 1B .30-06, Liberty 1B .300 mag, 1V .22-250

smile

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I was looking for a 1-S 300 H&H at the time, and finding none
when I saw Plateau Hunter's pictures on another forum...
Flung a craving on me, and the 9.3's were available, so ordered one. Got one deer with it, then later on found a 300, so the 9.3 hasn't gotten as much attention lately.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's really a fine one, better than most 9.3's I see smile

No sh*t. My 9.3 stock has all the color and figure of a telephone pole. Ironic that the #1 that I would most like to have knockout wood on has the suckiest wood of all my #1s....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I decided it was time to update the photo...

[Linked Image]

There are two guns not shown, a .375 H&H, and a Liberty .243, that are salt wood guns and are being remediated at the moment.

L to R - .30-40 Cabelas, .25-06 1V, 1S .45-70, 1H .458, 1S .475 Turnbull, Liberty .270 1B, Liberty 1B .30-06, Liberty 1B .300 mag, 1V .22-250

smile

You clearly have a serious problem.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 56 invisible), 9,886 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,354
Posts18,546,734
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.