Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the Queen talks funny

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PS: Catching Hell is a colloquialism I am not familiar with. Does this require tools or an array of contrivances? I know how to dish out Hell, but never saw any benefit to catching same.

I always thought it was the King's English. Do they have different vernacular or is this a product of political correctness?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
9point3, maybe if ya stopped in more often, you would learn to decipher the way we talk. Just saying............... laugh

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tracks
I think the Queen talks funny

Yeah, but that wave is sort of snazzy.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
PS: Catching Hell is a colloquialism I am not familiar with. Does this require tools or an array of contrivances?

A hav-a-heart trap will work.

Think about catching a bobcat, then letting it go in your neighbor's garage.

Same principle, just with more brimstone.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PPS: I plan on burning thru another 9 lives.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Ohh LAWWWD, the horror! Cipherin' own it is half the fun.. Plus, it's jus' da innanet. cool

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Here is an example(posters name withheld)Reads like Ebonics

Thank god you withheld his name... laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When the Queen and the King communicate, which English to they employ? I don't much care about the styles used here, but do like to be able to grab the key thoughts with some ease.

At times I think the lingo may be subconciously driven by wishful yearnings about times past: hearing the old guys sitting around the stove at the country store; being in deer or fishing camp; using catch phrases that stir memories of buddies and moments; or, - - - .

Grandpa didn't know text, Dad didn't understand or appreciate it - and I don't.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 9point3
I know I will catch some hell for this but:

I find it somewhat annoying when posters write in a style in which they speak. It seems as though some go out of their way to seem or sound "country" or "redneck". I am not asking for perfect sentence structure or spelling but please make your posts make some sense and easier to understand.

Here is an example(posters name withheld)Reads like Ebonics

Okay,...okay,...lemme tell ya.

First off,..I ain't braggin',...I'm, bitchin',..they's a difference,..yanno?

,..knothead drops by with some green micarta tubes,...wants me to cut 'em to length and mill this wonky pattern in 'em.

That chit'll kill ya if you breath it,....

So I take this,....

Them fuggers I'm doin' it for couldn't do it if it meant that they hit the damn powerball,....and I make 4% more than a fuggin' burger slapper fer it.

This world is fugged up,....I'm tellin' ya,...

Clearly you don't visit fishing forums, or you'd really find butchered language. smile

There is colloquial writing that is entertaining, like most of your above quotes, and I have no trouble figuring out what's being written. Then there are people who just simply screw up. "...we found fish threw out the cove..." was written by one young professional fisherman, and actually published in an online magazine. It bothers me more when I read something that's clearly sloppy or inept.

Many times I've had to write very formal business letters, dealing with serious topics. In one case the circulation list was mostly mid-to-upper level managers and executives at a large multinational vehicle manufacturer. I had to repair damage caused by someone who wasn't careful with her language, as well as deal with real technical issues. The result was successful, and I saved the relationship with a $6M/yr customer.

But sometimes I goof, and write not so bueno smile So I guess I'm somewhere in the middle on writing ability.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
generally not hard for me to decipher but i live on an indian reservation full of Norwegian immigrants both inside and outside the borders that were only 100 years give or take off the boat so im used to having to figure out what people are talking about laugh

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll take Bristoe's vernacular anyday.

Muleskinner used to wear me down, but he doesn't post much anymore.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are other Campfire members finding posts hard to decipher?

I thought this was going to be about Gus.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
� "...we found fish threw out the cove..." was written by one young professional fisherman, and actually published in an online magazine. �

I used to have an otherwise excellent book (written by a school-teacher!) [title withheld out of kindness] that was so poorly written (and completely unedited) that my son and I used to play a game with it.

We'd open it at random, then without looking, stab a page with a forefinger, and look to see whether that paragraph was free of error � spelling, grammar, punctuation �

I never found one that didn't reek with error.

It was an excellent source of information � and a superb way to teach a boy how to write proper prose. Horrible examples of all sorts were abundant.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Yeah right on BYC; perfect!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler
generally not hard for me to decipher but i live on an indian reservation full of Norwegian immigrants both inside and outside the borders that were only 100 years give or take off the boat so im used to having to figure out what people are talking about laugh

When I taught English in a 50-50-integrated junior high and high school in deep-south Alabama, I found that I could understand Negro kids who couldn't understand each other.

Several times a day, I'd hear "Whoddy say, Mist' 'ow'? Whoddy say?" ("What did he say, Mister Howell? What did he say?).

And whatever he'd said was clear to me, so translating was never a problem.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by MColeman
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I can live with the dialectic writing. What I cannot stand is "textspeak" like "u want 2 go 4 coffee?"

Then there's the horrible grammar, chief among which is "Me and Bob went..." and the rampant homonym confusion of your/you're, their/there/they're, to/too/two, and many more.

Your writing either gives people the impression that you are intelligent and educated, or the opposite. Many here seem to be the latter.

Rocky, I can't decide if they're apathetic or just don't give a schitt.

A friend remarked that somebody SAID he was apathetic and he replied, "I'd take offense if I knew what that meant but to be honest, I don't care."
FIXED IT, MICKEY wink

Thank you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would bet that the "We found fish threw out the cove..." example can be directly traced to the misguided reliance on "shell Czech", which accepts anything as long as it is in its dictionary, as a piss-poor substitute for a human being.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Eye bet your write!

"Good enough" isn't.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 163bc, 74 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,829
Posts18,496,613
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.