Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
I'll take the .45 ACP any day.
Does alot of things well the 9mm doesn't do. For one, it's far easier to reload. Anchors small game right there w/o destroying much meat is easily done w/ the .45 ACP. Good luck even reloading the 9 let alone trying to eat anything you kill.
As a defense round, it again does thing theing little 9mm-.357 magnum bullets do not. Like staying on course when shot through windshields assuming one uses the right ammo.
Much better as a bear defense round.
BTW, while I've never owned a .45 Colt, I'd have to say it is probably in the same catagory. E

having reloaded thousands of rounds of 9mm i don't find it particularly difficult to reload.
As to penetration there are plenty of things that will penetrate better than a .45acp.
And i like .45acp and .45colt, but 9mm also works.
and that .357sig look an awful lot like a 9mm+p+

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/20/14.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 147 grain 9mm will beat the .45 ACP in penetration tests every time.

While I do find .45 ACP much more forgiving at the reloading bench, I haven't found 9mm difficult. Like most auto pistol cartridges, get your OAL right and taper crimp right and it tends to work perfectly.

As for anchoring game...I've tried .45 ACP FMJ on small game as was surprised to be completely unimpressed when body shots were taken. I figured it would be clean, yet the hammer of Thor. Squirrels and Wabbits ran a long way with any FMJ-RN. I didn't get a chance to try FP's; bet the story would be the same.

For body shots, the JHP's anchored them DRT, but both the .45 ACP and 9mm tore up a LOT of the game. I find a 148 grain WC or 158 grain SWC out of a .38 Special to be the next best thing to a high velocity .22 HP.

As a bear defense round...yeah, I'll take the .45 ACP and a good pair of nike's...and probably a pair of adult size Huggies.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Even though I have just about every current handgun round available in my modest gun collection, when I grab one out of the Safe, it's a 45acp in a 1911 format 95 % of the time.

That being said, if I absolutely positively knew I would be involved in a deadly force situation, And needed a handgun to protect my family or friends, I would pick my Glock 32 in .357 Sig every time.

On the other hand, if I knew for sure that I would never ever be involved in a deadly force situation, my Ruger Flattop or my Colt SAA in 45 Colt would suite me just fine. cool

Last edited by chlinstructor; 05/20/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
45 Colt. Because in almost any art form the best stuff comes early and later on it's just variations on a theme.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by GunGeek
A 147 grain 9mm will beat the .45 ACP in penetration tests every time.

A 147 out of the 9mm is a drilling machine.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carried a .45 ACP almost 30 years ago. Then I tried the 9mm. When the .40 S&W was introduced, I viewed it as an upgrade from the 9mm (at least with the ammo of the day), and I moved to that. Now, I am back to a .45 ACP for all around purposes. I find it very pleasant to shoot and I think it probably is best of the 3 if the nose gets plugged up passing through winter clothes or a woods critter with sharp teeth and claws. An ammo change gets me to .45 LC power for the woods. The older I get, the less I like having to go to the gun cabinet and pick out a �gun of the day�. I only carry a 9mm in a pocket gun as either a backup or if I go somewhere where I absolutely do not want to be noticed. I have no use for the .40 at this point.

If somebody made me carry any of them, or the .357 Sig, I would get by. But, it is nice to have choices.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
.45ACP in S&W 1911 Series E, rounded butt. I've had it almost a year and I'm still in lust. 40 seems like a band-aid and I just can't get warmed up to 9mm which is the problem the 40 was supposed to fix.

Revolver round: 357mag.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've carried the 38spl, 357 Mag, 9mm, and 45acp as an LEO and still have pistols in those calibers but carry either the 38spl ( S&W 642) or 9mm ( Glock 17,26 )

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm much more worried about the pistol than what it's chambered for. My only request would be for nothing exotic that would cost an arm and a leg to buy practice ammo for.

Given a choice, it'd be an M&P PRO9 5" with a thumb safety and APEX FSS.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
.45 and 9mm for me. I have zero use for the .40 outside of using one for a USPSA gun.

I've carried all three professionally and could be happy with either a .45 or 9mm as a service weapon. That being said, for all around use, such as CCW, HD, work and recreational use in the mountains and deserts, I would choose the .45.

I could be satisfied with the .45 acp, .44 Magnum, and the lowly .22 for all my handgunning needs, if I were forced to consolidate.

I might miss my Glock 19 and J Frame snubby .38 though...

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Carried a 45ACP for 11 years, a 40 for 2.5 years. And am now carrying a 357 Sig

As much as I like the 45 i am very happy with the Sig round

Gitem,

Is the 357 Sig your issue duty round?

Yep, we swapped Glcok 21s for the 31 last August or there abouts, and due to our State police problems with their Gen 21 45s we are now approved to carry Sig p226 or Sig p220, P227s that we have personally purchased, the inly stipulation being that the P226 be 357 Sig

That's cool, I wonder how the 357 Sig is going to fare in the end as a service cartridge. I know the Texas DPS carried it for several years and we're quite happy with it. However, last year they replaced the 357 with the 9mm, they also replaced the P226 with the Smith & Wesson M&P. Right now the transition is on hold while Smith & Wesson works out some issues on the pistols but it appears it's only a temporary hold.

LBP, what are the issues with the M&P, if you don't mind me asking.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I'm much more worried about the pistol than what it's chambered for. My only request would be for nothing exotic that would cost an arm and a leg to buy practice ammo for.

I'm with you. I don't find any pistol round very exciting but I do like certain platforms better than others. If it is a Glock, then I like the M23 and 40S&W. If it is a 1911 then I like 45acp. If a revolver then I like the 357.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by 5thShock
45 Colt. Because in almost any art form the best stuff comes early and later on it's just variations on a theme.

Yep.

To quote hank Williams Jr: "It conjures up images from the Little Big Horn to the Rhine. It can be the Yukon".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The rumor I heard from folks that would know....

-DPS went to the 9mm and M&P to make it easier to fit a pistol to smaller and female shooters.
-DPS shot the M&P9 a gagillion times without issue during the T&E period without issue.
-Then when DPS started issuing the M&P they ordered a truck load of "DPS Special" 9mm ammo, which they had loaded pretty hot to try to get back to where they were with the 357Sig.
-The M&Ps got beat to death during the first cadet class with the hot ammo and started having problems.

Knowing how cops think and work and how an enormous agency like TXDPS functions, this all sounds not only possible-but likely.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Only a sample of one but a friends' M&P has about 35K+ rounds through it, a significant % of it was GI, and that stuff is pretty hot. He finally had an extractor break. Zero springs or anything else changed on it, as the gun was sent to him personally by S&W to flog.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks. Just interested because I have the M&P9 Pro Series that I like pretty well. Sounds like a problem of their own making.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting nobody chose the .38 Super.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've heard it could be a few things.

1. Ammunition
2. Training
3. Wear on the pistols.
4. Failure to feed/extract

My gut feeling is probably training and ammunition. The M&P's have been out several years now and this is the first I've heard of an agency having problems with the pistol itself. Here is a link to an article about the situation. I'm not sure what the author is referring too when he says "movement of a few microns"

Texas DPS 9mm

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Interesting nobody chose the .38 Super.

...it would be my first choice if allowed to carry a 1911 but when I chose the 357 SIG I was just trying to be realistic as few agencies issue a 1911 as a primary, they are usually given only to special units.

I've carried a Super daily since 1980. From 1980-84 it was also my duty gun.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
45 ACP.

μολὼν λαβέ
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 48 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,294
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.