-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Come on man, telling this story is going to take as long as the actual hunt!! lol

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
At number 65 now. It's going to get good now!? smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
smile

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I was filled with pride at that point at least equal to the feeling derived from redecorating the van interior with the festive lights and sparkles show.

The stuff from the island was retrieved, a chicken placed in the oven for slow-roasting, and we were off to the head of the arm and the start of this thread.

The bear was leaving the beach and into the alders before I could get a round chambered in the 700, 375AI. I was using the same Vortex Viper PST in 1-4 X 24 that has been on the rifle for three seasons now. There were openings in the alders once the bear got up a short distance, but was still well within 100 yards even if he made the rim.

Finding holes in alders turned out to be a little tougher than expected but the first shot did provide a satisfying "Whump!" The bear turned back toward the beach but was held up by alders at several points, breaking and tearing stuff up all the way down the hill.

The final flop left him right on the edge of the beach, just barely inside the alders.
[Linked Image]

It took a few wrestling holds and some serious tugging to roll him the last few feet into the open.

My camera took the best set of pictures so Paul gets to do the posing...
[Linked Image]

He was shooting a Kimber in 375H&H with the same scope:
[Linked Image]

And here is the Brute photo... Paul is resting his forearm on the backside of the bear and sitting on boat cushions... No aggrandizing at all.
[Linked Image]

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
He is an honest 9' bear.
[Linked Image]

We took our time skinning, taking the feet right down to the claws, but leaving the head in for later.

More photos later, going to run some shrimp pots...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn nice bear Art, his hide looks about perfect too! Congrats!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks! Actually, there is more than a little rub, but it isn't terrible.

We took turns fleshing on the ride home and I found this in the right foreleg:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It took big pliers to haul it out.

The folks at Dyna-Tek suggested I coat my knives with it for ease of clean-up. It seemed to make a big difference both because fleshing products did not stick and so there was no build-up of stuff on the blade while working and because clean-up was a simple wipe and a quick wash in hot soapy water with no scraping to clean the steel or handles.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Sitka deer; 05/20/14. Reason: typo

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nice! Congrats.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
I
I
Art is doing a far better job than I could in the story-telling department so I�ll let him finish it up, but I do want to add in that I can�t thank him enough for the opportunity to come along, help out and learn on this hunt! I may have deep hunting experience and a very good game eye, but his knowledge of the country and these bears far eclipses mine. The man is simply a master at his craft and can shoot as well.

Now, about the sardines. I might sneak off with an extra kipper snack or two in my pocket but not those damn oily sardines!!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Paul
There you are! I think I see a sardine in your pocket! wink

Was a real pleasure getting to see a whole other way to glass and a new standard for finding those bears. And you now have more big bear experiences than some internet experts with 40 years in the "bush."
art

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I should have been more specific about the Dyna-Tek knife treatment...
[Linked Image]

The top "Knives of Alaska" was untrested. It built a hard bunch of junk during use that was tough to get off, even after a hot soapy water soak. It required scraping to remove it.

The second knife was treated with a quick wipe of Dyna-Tek bore treatment and allowed to dry before use. It built very little junk on the blade compared to the untreated blade.

The third knife was also treated and after using it extensively a simple wipe with a paper towel completely removed the junk. A quick soak in hot soapy water was dome to ensure some semblance of sterility or at least cleanliness. It took absolutely no effort to clean it.

The two bottom knives were made by Robert Ball a local maker and I really like his work.
http://www.alaskaknifemaker.com/gallery/page1.html

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Paul

Can't believe you are worried about a few sardines. I don't think you've missed many meals! blush

smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
You have to have seen Paul's introduction to sardines... He knew and loved kippers but sardines really hit him hard and he was too polite to scream "WTF is this?!?!?!?!" wink

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Paul

Can't believe you are worried about a few sardines. I don't think you've missed many meals! blush

smile

How many times I gotta tell ya I still have a 32" waist? 'Course 36s feel so good I buy 40s...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just once more.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice work gentleman on a beautiful bear. Totally jealous, but very happy for you .

smile

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks Dean, it was a trip to remember.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Great story and pics. Thank you

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well done! on all counts, the hunt, the photos and retelling

can't blame a guy for stashing away a tin of sardines...provided they're in mustard sauce

very nice bear

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nice write up Art. That sounds like a great hunt.
Congrats on a nice bear.
So, sardines are the new currency?

Big eyes rule for the glassing it seems.

After the Big Eyes article, I bought a pair of the earlier Minox 15x58ED binoculars and I really like them. Unfortunately, the adjustable (right side) eye piece had a lock nut come loose inside, and the eye piece rattles around. Couldn't have any kind of seal left with it wobbling around like that. Time to call Minox.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

397 members (160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 222ND, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,028 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,875
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.