Print Thread
Hop To
#8827549 05/01/14
O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
That time of the year to move up to rainy for the summer.We landed a sweet heart care taking job last spring and are heading back,took some living stuff up to camp yesterday.Still lots of ice but job starts May first to Oct first,nice place to live, slip for boat ,salary and perks.The last care takers were ninety years old so at sixty five I have found a new career.If anybody gets to I Falls we are right by the park.We mow a little lawn ,make sure people park straight,and they pick up their dog crap and that is about it,oh and fish any time I want,sell enough ice and pop to keep gas in the 60hp suzuki four stroke.It was a blast last summer ans should be this summer to.Dabble

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like a great job! Doesn't should like work at all! Have fun!

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
That's awesome. I'm not too far west of you, I'd like to spend a weekend over there with the wife and kids.

Something clever here.

O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Dave,Let me know when I will do what I can to help,I am getting to know a lot more about the lake,I have been fishing it for thirty years and still learning .Rainy is some big water.PM me.

O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Yes it is a dandy,my fishing is limited to how much gas I want to burn,with that little 60 horse and finding a LOT of fishing right close to work.We have 100 slips to watch and do security on ,we have orders to not bother any ones boat unless they tell you to.That means if a boat is about to sink you call them and they will hire you to flip pumps on,we were told if they do not maintain their boat it is not the clubs problem.During bad storms I always walk the slips looking for problems,I do not want to see a boat sink.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Have fished the eastern end of Rainy many times portaging in through Kettle Falls. Do not know much about western end. Where are you located for the summer?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
OIDabble might need on of those old number ticket things they use in butcher shop years ago.
When we all get there, no fighting over a place in line.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Well back from another run to the lake,the next trip we will start staying once in a while.The ice has changed a lot in a few days I doubt it will be open for opening weekend but I could be wrong.There are no camp sites at the Sportsmans dock which is two driveways past the park on the left side,easy to find.There is camping at Birch point 218 286 3414,which is not far from great fishing,Rainy is a rocky lake beware and be careful boat insurance is a great idea.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
At those camp sites, are they tent sites or can a person bring a camper?

Something clever here.

O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
They have both but more tents,they have a few nice ones by the lake might be a good idea to call.The park changed all the rules so I don't know what it will be like.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got to get up your way now that I'm getting my little Lund up and running again. I've fished Kab quite a bit, but know nothing about Rainey.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Well we are going to start living at the lake this weekend,the Slips are open and the ice is black,heading to the lake and not looking back.I will have to come back and pick some morels and bring the lawn mowing man some beer,will mow for beer,Keystone light gets the shops and the house mowed when needed.Through in the mower and gas he's gonna mow some grass,that would make a country song. Will keep up on the walleye bite and the huge black crappies that Rainy is known for,all Canadianed up for some huge musky fishing,I don't go much for smallies,got tired of fishing them in the Bigfork,fourteen smallies in fifteen casts gets boring after awhile,but if you like smallies you can't beat the Bigfork for smallies in the white water.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
How about some detail on the location and what is around you in the area.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Little fork is good for smallies too.

A friend of mine (probably 17 years ago) almost walked on water one spring while standing knee deep on a gravel/sand bar in the little fork. Casting for smallies, a 5' sturgeon slid through between his legs, brushing his inner calf on one leg as it slid through.

Scream like a little girl? Check

Drop fishing rod in the water? Check

Splashy escape from the river? Check

grin

Something clever here.

O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
the weather finally improved went and fished off dock fourth cast 22 inch walleye,had a venison fajita and back to fishing for some in the slot,18 and under.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Very nice.

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Dock fishing is good! Nice fish.

Opening weekend we caught ours off a dock on the Ottertail river just before it enters the lake. 16-19" male fish on minnows drifted with a single split shot in 3-8' of water. Still full of milt then.

Are they done spawning in Rainy now?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 46 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,209
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.