-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yesterday morning, I hooked up the boat and headed out to a reservoir 20 miles away. Had my boat in the water about 6:30am and it was a beautiful morning!
[Linked Image]

I stayed close to the boat launch because my little brother was going to come out and meet me. I don't have great cell service out there so I wanted to be able to see him if he showed up. I started across the bay from the launch and was casting a perch colored crank bait along the flooded willows and bushes. I could see pike but couldn't get them to even follow. About 8:00am I ended up in a small cove right by the boat launch where tons of pike hang out for some reason. As soon as I entered the cove, I saw a pike that had to be pushing 15lbs zoom off into the brush. I decided to change lures and figured I'd try the 8" storm kickin minnow in perch color for the heck of it.

After a few casts I saw a decent pike follow it. A couple casts later, I was reeling it up and about 5 feet from the boat, I saw a pike swirl by my lure and my pole bent over! I fought it for a minute or two and had my biggest pike ever by far! Not huge but I was beyond excited!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Little bro showed up about 30 minutes later so I had him take a picture of me with it
[Linked Image]

And one more at home
[Linked Image]

It weighed 8lbs on the nose and was 32" long.

After little bro showed up, we fished most of the lake. I had a few more pike follow my storm lure and one even grabbed it, but had it sideways so the hooks didn't get set. I could see it holding it in its mouth right under the boat. Little bro finally caught one about 3pm. We could see one laying on the bottom by some willows and he casted one of my 4" perch berkley ripple shads in front of it and twitched it. The pike inhaled it! It also happened to by his biggest pike ever and weighed 4lbs some how. It wasn't even half the size of mine but weighed half of what mine did!

[Linked Image]

We fished until about 5:30 and tried out some of my quick set rigs I made with dead smelt but never had a pike grab one. So we loaded up the boat and left my pickup and boat there and drove up the canal road about 6 miles to a little lake. The lake was like glass when we got there and it looked like it was boiling from all the grayling hitting bugs. We fly fished for about an hour until the wind picked up and we caught close to 20 grayling between us.

When I filleted them, I cut open their stomachs to see what they had been eating. Little bro's only had one small worm in it and mine was packed full of 1"-2" long baby perch.

All in all it was an awesome day. Hadn't seen little bro much due to his freshman year of college so it was good to spend some time with him. Now little sister is bugging me to take her. We made plans for next Saturday. Who wants to bet we won't be putting the boat in the lake at 6:30am again?!

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Good for you!!

By the way, your little brother looks exactly like a childhood friend I had, the photo of your little brother in the back of the pickup made me feel like I was looking at a ghost.

Pick up a few of these, the pike will destroy them but you can get them pretty cheap.

[Linked Image]

Get an assortment of colors and blade types. These things have worked better than spoons for me in my pike efforts.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That's me in the pick up with the green shirt. I've got some spinnerbaits too. Have a bunch in red/white red/black and chart greet/yellow. Little bro used one for a while but never got a bite.

The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Pick up a few of these, the pike will destroy them but you can get them pretty cheap.

[Linked Image]

Get an assortment of colors and blade types. These things have worked better than spoons for me in my pike efforts.

We would keep them spinning at a constant speed, then pull up on the rod and let them fall. that's when the pike would give it a go.

Seems they always feel frisky when the quarry is in distress.

We also use the floating baby ducks on occasion.

That was fun.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by DeerTracker
That's me in the pick up with the green shirt.

Well, do you remember the time we took the lug nuts off the back wheels of the cop car in Soudan, then we threw rocks at the police station door and made them chase us on our bicycles?

I swear, you look exactly like my old buddy Thad.

grin

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Haha! That's hilarious! Sounds like a good time!

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Both back wheels fell off that cop car.

We hid for about 14 hours I think, must have been about 1983.

Nearly laughed ourselves to death.

I can still see it in my mind, one of these old cruisers laying on the back drums, both back tires rolling down the hill in front of the car. I think the tires almost caught up with us on our bikes.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
We have lots of pike here, next time take a few pics of the Grayling! iv alway wanted to fish for them!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Both back wheels fell off that cop car.

We hid for about 14 hours I think, must have been about 1983.

Nearly laughed ourselves to death.

I can still see it in my mind, one of these old cruisers laying on the back drums, both back tires rolling down the hill in front of the car. I think the tires almost caught up with us on our bikes.

[Linked Image]

Bad news Dave, statute of limitations for destruction of Govt. property is 35 years, better get back on that bike !!! grin eek

Really nice pike there, they can be a riot to catch in shallow water !!

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congratulations! Pike are my favorite fish and they are delicious. Do you know how to remove the Y-bones? That makes eating them ever so much easier.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
If you can catch them big enough, those bones make good shovel handles.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
F
Frm Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
If you can find them, try silver William's Wabblers in size 70 - deadly on pike! Mike

"We've had enough of exhortations to be silent! Cry out with a hundred thousand tongues! I see that the world is rotten because of silence!"
St. Catherine of Sienna
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by saddlering
We have lots of pike here, next time take a few pics of the Grayling! iv alway wanted to fish for them!

I agree with this.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Will do!

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool, man! I might be moving to pike territory, so I might be picking your brain on trying to catch them...

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
B
B
Try black spinners with copper colored blades. This always seems to be a hot color combo, no matter where I fish for them. Make sure the hooks are sharp.

Last edited by bosshoff; 05/24/14.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I love fishing for pike and have an Ontario trip coming up where we will hit them hard. Biggest last year was 44.5 inches.

Couple of random tips I have learned the hard way (you prolly already know most of them, but maybe there is a tidbit in here somewhere!):

Use cross-lok snaps and good leaders. I used Titanium or Flourocarbon leaders. Those cheap snaps will open right up.

Inline bucktails are becoming more and more my go to lure of choice. Big cranks work well too. Jerkbaits also work well. I dont like spoons even though many people like them. Jigs work well too on fish that arent too active. I will usually just fish them with my walleye rig and expect to lose a few jigs.

Best line I have found is Tuf Line. I use 35#.

I hand land fish up to about 36-38".....unless the back treble is not in the fish. That is a time I might put one in the net. Watch the smaller ones, the crazy shakers. Those are the ones that will put a hook in ya.

Look up a youtube video on taking the Y bones out. It is easy to do.

When you are releasing a fish, just before it is ready to swim away, slide down and give its tail a little squeeze right ahead of the "fin" part of the tail. Make a point to do this when your buddy is leaning over looking at the fish from the rear.

Make sure you have good pliers and jaw spreaders.

Dont hold a big fish completely vertical as it can be hard on its spine. If you are gonna release the fish, have the camera ready, the pliers, jaw spreaders, etc so you minimize the time out of the water.

If you get a follow from a nice fish but it wont bite, give it about 3-5 minutes and hit it with a different lure.

I will re-emhasize one point: Watch those crazy wild head shaking little ones. You put one of those in the boat still green and you are unleashing a tazmanian devil!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 42 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,225
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.