Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was watching a program about 30 minutes ago on I think the Discovery Channel called, Kodiak:Bear Island, and three guys, one of which I assumed was the client and two guides were hunting a large Kodiak. They came upon him at what looked like a mere 25 yards away. the client, who looked more at home behind an office desk than hunting bears, fires and either missed or the shot was ineffective. The bear turns and charges them and had it not been for one of the guides firing and killing him just in time that bear would have had those three and the camera man for lunch. It was scary to watch.

The other guide's rifle had malfunctioned as he tried to chamber a round and for sure had it not been for the other guide they all would have been killed.

Last edited by Kitch; 05/25/14.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
I just saw that too�.a little staged methinks�not the bear part, the 'jam' part and the drama afterwards.
Any hunting camp Ive ever been in where something like that happened it didn't result in the somber" I almost got killed " BS..

It was more like WOO HOO!!!! WE ARE ALL STILL ALIVE!!! PASS THE BEER! laugh laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yep, it could have been. Still made me nearly crap my pants when I saw that bear charge, though.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Have you ever read the account of Chuck Adam's P&Y brown bear that he got at 12 yds with his pointed stick? I can't imagine getting that close. Neither could he as it wasn't intended. He was waiting for the bear that was coming down the far side of a creek at 30 yds as he hid in the brush. The bear went out of the sight of his shooting lane and he was ready to shoot when it came back in view. What he couldn't see was that the bear crossed the creek to his side. When it came past the shooting lane, it was only 12 yds. I don't know if I'd have the nerve to shoot at that range.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
I just saw that too�.a little staged methinks�not the bear part, the 'jam' part and the drama afterwards.
Any hunting camp Ive ever been in where something like that happened it didn't result in the somber" I almost got killed " BS..

It was more like WOO HOO!!!! WE ARE ALL STILL ALIVE!!! PASS THE BEER! laugh laugh

Well, they have the camera's they gotta cater too,after all... grin

But the fella is supposed to be an experienced guy....what's up with the jammed rifle? Does this fall under the "anything can happen" category? confused

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well one of the reasons for the requirement to have a licensed guide or PH on dangerous game hunts is to keep your hide in tack. Some times even thing it dose one work, its why they call it dangerous game. As for rifles not functioning correctly or breaking it happens, this is why those that hunt dangerous game fuss over rifles so much, don't want to leave anything to chance. As for filming such hunts, well with out the drama it would be boring, after all who wants to watch a couple of guys spend 10 days in the cold and wet day in and day out and then shoot a bear if they find one, and it just drops? Like it dose on 99.9 % of such hunts or you never even get a shot for the 20 K and the time spent!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gmsemel
keep your hide in tack.

horse tack? saddle blankets and such?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I saw the show too. The client could not shoot a bow to satisfy the guides, but he had it strapped on his back? Did he have the bow with him to maybe take a deer? I would agree he looked more like a book worm than a hunter...

Sure looked like he muffed that shot just like he did with the bow. The gun that jammed looked like the same one that one of the younger guides had sighted in earlier. Unless I am mistaken it was a Browning Stainless Stalker.

In any event, good thing the other guide was there to back them both up or it could have been a very tough day! Staged or not it was good entertainment!

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hunter blows it with a 700, guide can't shoot his jammed Abolt, hero saves em all with a big bore boomer. I saw it all. What's to doubt?

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A-Borts never fail on Kodiak... really!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
A-Borts never fail on Kodiak... really!

That's the word on the street. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It must suck, getting back to the OP, going on such an expensive hunt and being charged twice...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see what you did there.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Why in the hell did the guide not have a shell in the chamber in the first place? What are the odds of a bolt action jamming on the cocking stroke. Most the jams I have seen have been after a shell has been fired and one is attempting to reload another.

IMO there must have been some very lax maintenance on that rifle, I could be wrong.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I suspect a set-up for drama rather than a real situation. Most all guides run the tube cold until needed; I did and do.

A-Borts are prone to failing in saltwater environs, even with reasonable care.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Run the tube cold. sheesh....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hunt with enough different folks and you will understand how imperfect the best's "Perfect muzzle control" is...

If you are incapable of running a bolt-action rifle I could understand your concern...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by ingwe

Well, they have the camera's they gotta cater too,after all... grin

But the fella is supposed to be an experienced guy....what's up with the jammed rifle? Does this fall under the "anything can happen" category? confused

What kind of rifle was it??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A-Bort...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shootem
Hunter blows it with a 700, guide can't shoot his jammed Abolt, hero saves em all with a big bore boomer. I saw it all. What's to doubt?

No DG guide would saunter around with an empty chamber, then need to rack a round at a charge.

This was BS for drama. smirk

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (12344mag, 160user, 22kHornet, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,132 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,091
Posts18,501,919
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.