OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

So do I. He is sporting the Muslim beard and is in excellent shape to have been a prisoner.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I hope not ...

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jwp475

So do I. He is sporting the Muslim beard and is in excellent shape to have been a prisoner.

I have never met or seen Bergdahl, nor have I seen pictures of him since his release, but:

- Maybe the Taliban didn't issue him a razor and his beard actually grew (it happens!)

- If the Taliban didn't issue him new, clean GI uniforms (from the PX?), perhaps he is just wearing the clothing they gave him (it's better than freezing in the winter)

- Since he has lived for 5 years, they obviously fed him. I don't know (perhaps you do) what shape he is actually in. I'll wait for a report before deciding.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by djs

I have never met or seen Bergdahl, nor have I seen pictures of him since his release, but:

- Maybe the Taliban didn't issue him a razor and his beard actually grew (it happens!)

- If the Taliban didn't issue him new, clean GI uniforms (from the PX?), perhaps he is just wearing the clothing they gave him (it's better than freezing in the winter)

- Since he has lived for 5 years, they obviously fed him. I don't know (perhaps you do) what shape he is actually in. I'll wait for a report before deciding.

He was able to put on a white short and dress well for the press, so he could have shaved as, don't you think.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

It's not unheard of for a long-time prisoner to feign conversion to Islam to avoid being killed.

Don't know if this guy did, or not. Don't know anything about him. But I am pretty sure that anything and everything we read about this guy in the MSM or the internet is going to be contradictory and totally unreliable.

I would not have paid his ransom, in any case.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

that's his father and yes his father is a muslim.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

A tweet from his father, maybe this will help.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
http://www.ijreview.com/2014/06/143...-father-deletes-a-very-disturbing-tweet/

[Linked Image]

Freed American POW�s Father Deletes A Very Disturbing Tweet: Throws Prisoner Exchange in Question

On Saturday morning the Obama administration happily announced that we were now negotiating with terrorists and that Bowe Bergdahl would be freed in an agreement with the Taliban that would allow five dangerous terrorists to be released from Guantanamo Bay.

Bowe�s father Bob Bergdahl appeared with Obama for the announcement:
[Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Is that tweet for real, and is that fro his dad?

Either way, BB has been cooped up in a [bleep] hole for 5 years, I think the last thing I'll do is judge his coping mechanisms.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Is that tweet for real, and is that fro his dad?

Either way, BB has been cooped up in a [bleep] hole for 5 years, I think the last thing I'll do is judge his coping mechanisms.

You know for a fact "BB has been cooped up in a [bleep] hole for 5 years"? Not sure that anyone knows at this point.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wikipedia has interesting stuff on Bergdahl.

This is just a snippet ...

Last email to parents[edit]
On June 27, 2009, according to Rolling Stone,[17] Bowe sent a final e-mai�l to his parents: "The future is too good to waste on lies. And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong. I have seen their ideas and I am ashamed to even be american. The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting."

His email went on to describe his disillusionment in the army: "In the US army you are cut down for being honest... but if you are a conceited brown nosing [bleep] bag you will be allowed to do what ever you want, and you will be handed your higher rank... The system is wrong. I am ashamed to be an american. And the title of US soldier is just the lie of fools...I am sorry for everything here. These people need help, yet what they get is the most conceited country in the world telling them that they are nothing and that they are stupid, that they have no idea how to live. We don't even care when we hear each other talk about running their children down in the dirt streets with our armored trucks... We make fun of them in front of their faces, and laugh at them for not understanding we are insulting them...I am sorry for everything. The horror that is america is disgusting...There are a few more boxes coming to you guys. Feel free to open them, and use them."

Link to the rest of the story

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowe_Bergdahl

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Very compelling evidence.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a bizarre story. What would make an American who enlisted turn to the darkside?

Was it PTSD?

I'm not trying to make excuses for him but ... ???

I wonder if his fellow soldiers or his commanding officers were aware that he was going rogue?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

If this is as true as it seems then the answer is yes.

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/06/143...ory-fears-reprisal-obama-administration/

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by stxhunter

I have no idea if the guy's a deserter but I've had a nagging question for quite a while...Since muslims for the most part, view this war as a war on their religion, why in the world are they being allowed to serve? Freedom of religion? Back in WWII would a Nazi party affiliate have been allowed to serve? I think not.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can understand someone who was drafted against their will going rogue but he volunteered.

What happened to the man and his mind?

If others were aware of this how should it have been handled?

Do you take him off the battlefield and send him back home for mental evaluation?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by stxhunter

I have no idea if the guy's a deserter but I've had a nagging question for quite a while...Since muslims for the most part, view this war as a war on their religion, why in the world are they being allowed to serve? Freedom of religion? Back in WWII would a Nazi party affiliate have been allowed to serve? I think not.

Was BB a muslim when he enlisted?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For some more in depth insight...

Bowe Bergdahl

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MojoHand

Bowe Bergdahl

That's a long but very good read.

My head is swirling after reading it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is one part that was very disturbing.

--------------

Bowe Bergdahl had a different response. He decided to walk away.

In the early-morning hours of June 30th, according to soldiers in the unit, Bowe approached his team leader not long after he got off guard duty and asked his superior a simple question: If I were to leave the base, would it cause problems if I took my sensitive equipment?

Yes, his team leader responded � if you took your rifle and night-vision goggles, that would cause problems.

Bowe returned to his barracks, a roughly built bunker of plywood and sandbags. He gathered up water, a knife, his digital camera and his diary. Then he slipped off the outpost.

--------------

I'm having difficulty with the way his team leader reacted ... if it's true.

WTF? Shouldn't that have been red flag?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Walking of in a combat mission sounds like desertion to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fish head
Originally Posted by MojoHand

Bowe Bergdahl

That's a long but very good read.

My head is swirling after reading it.

Naturally, it is always worse than first thought.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No doubt. He deserted and it's all on him.

BB was an ideological nutcase that shouldn't have been in combat though.

I'm thinking about this from the perspective of the man fighting next to him. Would you want be in combat with somebody that isn't 100% committed to the cause and on the verge of going rogue?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was in Afghanistan just one province over when he walked away from his FOB. I was in Paktia and he was in Paktika. The information we got was he was ticked off at a senior NCO and just decided to walk away. There was another story he got drunk and walked away. I find that hard to believe because of the Army's attitude toward alcohol being smuggled into Afghanistan. I also heard this was a habit of his, walk away from a problem instead of dealing with it. Since I don't know the kid personally I cannot confirm any of this.

I think he just didn't know what he was getting into and ended up getting traded to the Taliban and not back to his FOB when he was stopped by some locals. There was a lot of concern at first but it seemed to die down pretty quick so the leadership knew early he was in the hands of the Taliban or Haqqani's.

Since he was a Spec4 at the time he left he didn't have any classified information to reveal to the Taliban and they simply waited for the right time to do the trade. Just my take on it. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Please accept my thanks for standing a watch for me and mine. I truly appreciate your service.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well if he was not abused like they abused Russian POW's, then its all very very suspect. As for the trade, I hope to heck they were then ambushed and all of them killed but with the current leadership in place its doubtful.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe he accomplished his mission...

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Please accept my thanks for standing a watch for me and mine. I truly appreciate your service.

Thank you CT. I was a contractor at the time. I was getting paid well to be there. I'd give it all back to be young again so I could do it all over again. Does anyone know a company that will hire an old retired fart to go back over? I'm available. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a link to Stormbringer's blog from his ties in U.S. Special Forces. In it another S.F. operator lays out what followed Bergdahl's desertion and what the U.S. Military had to do to try and rescue him. A number of U.S. Army soldiers were killed in the rescue attempts. Stormbringer is a retired Special Forces operator and posts a "back door" bit of information.

Valid information?? Maybe. Maybe not, but it sounds reasonable to me.

http://seanlinnane.blogspot.com/2014/06/prisoner-exchange.html#comment-form

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by tjm10025

It's not unheard of for a long-time prisoner to feign conversion to Islam to avoid being killed.

Don't know if this guy did, or not. Don't know anything about him. But I am pretty sure that anything and everything we read about this guy in the MSM or the internet is going to be contradictory and totally unreliable.

I would not have paid his ransom, in any case.

And, there is the Stockholm Syndrome in which prisoners (regardless of their inner-strength) eventually bond with their captors, the ones on which they are totally dependent.

Regardless of his motivations when walking, is there anyone else who really wants to leave any American behind, especially in that hell-hole?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
if leaving him there means other American troops down the road will be safer, yeah.
Doing deals with the Taliban, negotiating with them for this fellow's release, will come back to haunt us.

Sam......

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by kend

I wouldnt trust that chickensh-t BB any further than I could throw my house.

Gunner

Trump Won!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
He simply did not agree with American Policy and left his post. Yes he is a deserter and definitely not worth 5 valuable Taliban prisoners and to even think a US soldier died "rescuing" this POS is pretty revolting to me.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
He simply did not agree with American Policy and left his post. Yes he is a deserter and definitely not worth 5 valuable Taliban prisoners and to even think a US soldier died "rescuing" this POS is pretty revolting to me.

Nothing but politico posturing on the eve of an election year, kinda reminds me of the bullspit Benghazi atrocities. mad

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

The guy and his father are both likely American Taliban..

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

The guy and his father are both likely American Taliban..

+1 to both posts

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
+1000000000000 wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While people talk about him being a Deserter, I think BB's actions might be considered Treason?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Pete E
While people talk about him being a Deserter, I think BB's actions might be considered Treason?

Another +1. .....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
if leaving him there means other American troops down the road will be safer, yeah.
Doing deals with the Taliban, negotiating with them for this fellow's release, will come back to haunt us.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Another +1...... This definitely endangers more Americans.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 1936M71, 222Sako, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,440
Posts18,489,455
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.