Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

This guy nails it when his school comes begging for money.

http://bluenationreview.com/angry-graduate-sends-letter-when-school-begs-for-money/

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder at what point during the two years he's been unemployed with a Masters Degree in Basket Weaving did he wise up?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't give money to the University I went to either and I agree with some of the sentiments in the letter but:

College kids with huge amounts of student loans were stupid from the get go getting the loans. There are plenty of schools that don't cost 16k/semester.

Most of these kids with lots of student debt were too lazy to work during school and had to have all the expensive toys and fancy coffees while going to school.

Then how many of them get stupid degrees like women studies or philosophy?

Go to a reasonably priced school, for a marketable degree, work and sacrifice while in school.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
It takes more than a degree to succeed in life.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmmm, 2 years looking for a job and no offers? Wonder why the Marine Corps turned him down. Probably couldn't pass the piss test. whistle

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Non of my sons work in the field they suddied.

but

They all got good jobs within six monts of Graduating from SFA

I saved their whole life for their education so they did not take any loans

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have three college degrees. I have never worked in a field that required them. Sure had a lot of fun partying though, and graduated without a nickel of student debt.
Was working my first post college job before I graduated. Never have been without work.

what is 'priceless' about this loser's letter, is that hundreds of thousands of dollars pizzed down a rat hole for his so called education, never changed his status of loser.
Imagine, using that sort of language in a letter to your college? Amazing.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 06/03/14.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I give money to the college of forestry in the university I attended. But then again I don't know anyone who graduated that really had their schit together that didn't get a job.

I don't work in the field I have a degree in either but I'm glad I went and still keep in touch professionally with many of those that did.

Last edited by NathanL; 06/03/14.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a niece that has a couple of college degrees and has a good job that pay well.

Her college debt is very high.

1 year Prior to her graduating, she was offered a signing bonus of 1 million if she stayed 3 years. My advise was to take the offered job and put in her 3 years and pay off her student loans, and have a little left over after taxes.

Well, as it goes she turned the offer down and is now making 3k a month student loan payments.

I asked her how it feels to be in the top 10% of wage earners. I received a blank look and she said she did not feel rich.

Also she is of the mine set, that she think she is supposed to own a home. I told her that it took me a while before i was able to buy a home and that every one is guaranteed a home.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here is a little math equation that sums it all up:
College degree + no work ethic = failure! As an educator/administrator/ coach for the past 32 years I have seen it over and over. I will take the average kid with the monster work ethic over the highly intelligent/ athletically gifted student with none. The average kid wins in the game of life every time!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shootsaswede
I will take the average kid with the monster work ethic over the highly intelligent/ athletically gifted student with none. The average kid wins in the game of life every time!

Certainly!

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What always suprised me was the number of people who were a good way thru college and really had no clue that people with that degree actually did.

I really didn't run into that studying forestry since it was a small program and we constantly visited professional foresters not to mention many in the program already worked as foresters. Plus it was required to have 2 years of internship over the summer to graduate.

Otto is my co-pilot.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
educated idiots, are common, just look around. debt is common again look around,i'll take a person with common sense that's willing to work and has a desire to learn,over any college grad. that thinks that their ticket to rich's is a paper with a ribbon around it.and over the years i've hired and tried a truck load of college grads that couldn't find their way around the pot, let alone find the handle. you may disagree but that's ok with me, what ever works for you. rio7

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
F ucking priceless, that a bunch of "college graduates" who are currently retired or nearing that point, can opine on the job market for college graduates the past few years.

Now that said, First off this letter is absolute BS, no name signed on the letter, just anonymous college student, and no actual university given. As much of it may be true it smells like BS to me.

Secondly good people will find work somewhere, whether it is in the field the studied or not in another thing. But good people/workers are employable with or without a college degree, the cream always rises to the top. The fact those who find themselves with a masters degree in high altitude balloon blowing and cannot find work in "their" field are surprised at this revelation is evidence of their net worth to the workforce and thus explains their current situation.

Last edited by heavywalker; 06/03/14.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My Daughter is getting her Masters and the Son-in-Law is doing Nursing school.

We put up 10,000 for both of our kids and she has worked as well.

What gets me is they are mine!

I keep telling her keep making the millions so when i get thrown out of the house i have a place to go.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by heavywalker
F ucking priceless, that a bunch of "college graduates" who are currently retired or nearing that point, can opine on the job market for college graduates the past few years.

Now that said, First off this letter is absolute BS, no name signed on the letter, just anonymous college student, and no actual university given. As much of it may be true it smells like BS to me.

Secondly good people will find work somewhere, whether it is in the field the studied or not in another thing. But good people/workers are employable with or without a college degree, the cream always rises to the top. The fact those who find themselves with a masters degree in high altitude balloon blowing and cannot find work in "their" field are surprised at this revelation is evidence of the net worth to the workforce and thus explains their current situation.

We're the ones doing the hiring....

Otto is my co-pilot.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yeah we sub out all of our hiring to retired people here too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by heavywalker

Yes, they can opine because they are the ones doing the hiring. Ever consider that?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Imagine, using that sort of language in a letter to your college? Amazing.

Unfortunately, verbal and writing skills have deteriorated to the point the only creative way people have to express themselves is with the F-bomb. Even the CPO's I've known have a better descriptive vocabulary than the typical college kid today.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Yes the letter is probably all "created", but many points are spot on...and many of the points shared in this thread are as well. I'm 2nd of 9 and put myself through college with very little help form mom and dad. I was doing college full-time and working at least 30 hours a week the whole time. I wasn't living like a bum, but I lived a very simple life back then.

I agree, prices of education has gone up too fast.
I agree, many going to college think its just a big party and live it up on loans and then some how are lucky to squeeze a degree out of the mess. And then their looser approach at college shows through as they interview for a job. I hire people all the time and it's easy to tell which ones are not worth our time.

I also think a degree isn't mandatory, and that it is possible to make it in this crazy world without one. I also think that was a lot easier to do say 40 years ago.

I also often realize with many of these "kids" that it isn't the fault of "kids" just getting done with college. Too many parents are giving their kids everything...except a good work ethic, a sense of respect for others, and a sense of responsibility. And many have this notion that they're never wrong/not the problem. Many parents in society are doing their kids and society a real disservice.

How many that graduated this past May were working at and early age? I was harvesting/selling night crawlers to a bait company when I was 9, mowing lawns by 11, and of course there were the chores around the house that I was expected to do long before any "paid" job.

Anyway...I could go on...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,482 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,308
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.