-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Honestly, if I didn't already have a 223 in the Hawkeye, I'd buy it in the RAR. Or, I might get another Tikka as my 223 rifle. Or maybe I'd buy the RAR and tell everyone I got the Tikka just to fire up 2muchmucous.

I used to think that there was NO reason to ever want a 223, but then I bought one. And now it gets shot more than anything else that I have.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can a RAR top a Tikka? Inquiring minds wanna know.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
603Country, I shoot a 223 more than any other rifle I own as of a year ago. I didn't realize what I was missing out on all these years.

And yes I would even be happy with the RAR and may even get one.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hasve 2 Tikkers. They look like this:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And shoot like this:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Maybe a RAR does the same? I need to buy one and find out.
I can say that I don't mind beating on these Tikkas...they take it and weight ~7 lbs. Polymer (not plastic per se) is tougher than metal in many ways. Ask Glock or even a very knowledgeable Engineer... grin

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't need either, but if an 18" RAR bugholed 75 Amax and fit in the magbox, slapping a SWFA up top would be about the best you could do for $700. Which is $50 more than the last Tonka I looked at, without a scope.

Better yet would be a Ranch with a can. That'd be the cats ass...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting.......
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All I know is my RAR doesnt shoot anywhere near as good as my T3.

The action on the RAR looks and feels like it was machined by a drunk gorilla with a rock. There are machine ridges inside the action that are easily 1/32" high and it sounds like hitting rumble strips along the highway every time I close the bolt. I'm not complaining about it, but that is what it is.

Compare that to the action on a T3. No, you cant, there is no comparison. If I get my RAR shooting for groups I'll gladly overlook the shoddy quality and clunky brick of a bolt.

I can feed my T3 just about any combination of powder/bullet in my handloads and it shoots MOA. Dial it down to the powder charge and bullets it likes and it shoots 3/8 to 1/2" groups.

I've seen some impressive groups posted here from the Ruger, but have only found ONE load that will shoot MOA in mine.

Eat moose, burn spruce
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 16bore
I don't need either, but if an 18" RAR bugholed 75 Amax and fit in the magbox, slapping a SWFA up top would be about the best you could do for $700. Which is $50 more than the last Tonka I looked at, without a scope.

There will be a few that'll shoot like tikkas and a lot that never will. To build consistent shooters tolerances have to be held to strict standards and its not there with the RAR.

To compare features is realistic and a good way to go.

To compare accuracy will pan out to be nothing short of a pipe dream.

Shod

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Interesting.......
[Linked Image]

16bore, it really is not all that interesting. Nothing more than an entry level rifle that so far has proved to offer less than savage or marlin in terms of accuracy.

Shod

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Shodd
Interesting.......
[Linked Image]

16bore, it really is not all that interesting. Nothing more than an entry level rifle that so far has proved to offer less than savage or marlin in terms of accuracy.

Shod

16bore, I say get one, that tan stock is begging for an overspray of black webbing. I feel like I've gotten my moneys worth out of my RAR already, I just enjoy trying different rifles and working loads. I've never had a Tikka but very likely will someday.

Shod, I'm pleased with the accuracy, but maybe I got lucky.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Shodd
There will be a few that'll shoot like tikkas and a lot that never will. To build consistent shooters tolerances have to be held to strict standards and its not there with the RAR.

To compare features is realistic and a good way to go.

To compare accuracy will pan out to be nothing short of a pipe dream.

Shod

Please do tell of these tolerances you keep speaking of.

What tolerances are Tikkas held to?

What tolerances are the others held to?

"Comparing features is a good way to go":

Tikka:

Plastic bolt shroud

Plastic magazine

Plastic trigger guard

Free floating chunk of aluminum "recoil lug" (what are the tolerances of IT?)

One action length

Enclosed loading port

Hollow tupperware stock

Higher price tag

Abysmal customer service

Please DO categorically expound on the advantages of said features..........

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
16 - good shooting - RAR right?

Deernut - tell us about your stocks.

Re: tolerances - I know many smiths have said, inc one I know who built
603s T3 custom 260 (bugholes btw) comment no truing needed.
Factory trigger crisp n light in thirty seconds. T3s do have a long term
Record for accuracy. See 6.5x55 above. Surprised JB does not have one...yet.
A Tikka Continental won a British 1K shoot, 10 shots in 4.4"

So although all else equal I'd grab a Sako, for less $ you can
Still get their bbl, a good trigger, slick as butter action for the price
of many other rifles. If RARs build a long term accuracy reputation
And keep price point, it should give T3s a run.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
65BR- raff out roud. It was a Tonka.

I'd say run over a Tikka mag and any other DBM and see what happens.

Tikka's are going through what Glocks did back in the 80's.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Golly. I think someone has either a bad tooth ache or maybe the worst case of Hemorrhoids in the history of mankind.

Pears and aspirin sent 2much. And my hopes for a speedy recovery.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
2muchgun,

Apparently rubbing your irritated twat for you isn't working.

I guess you'll just have to stand there stiffed legged with knees locked while I remedy the situation.

Has the vagisil I sent showed up in the mail?

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 10/22/14.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Be curious to see that and if there's ever going to be a stock worth a chit for them.

I have been off the fire a while and had this same question. I just had the 'Merican and tikka side by side and the stock on the Ruger was horrid. Boyds offers a few styles for the Ruger for $113. I would just like to know if the Ruger provided a conventional bedding surface.

A predator in 6.5 creedmore sounds perfect for the wife, wish they would offer the 6.5 in their standard all weather.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey you two schitbags, Big Stick called and wants his diatribe back. I swear to phuqq, you guys act like a coupla of phfuqqin idiots.

Buy what the phuqq you want and live happily ever after. Jiminyphuqq, is chit that complicated? Is the world too phuqqin stupid that a grown phuqqin man can't pick out a [bleep] rifle and shoot?

Apparently fuqqing so...

Don't forget to give each other "hints" and "grins". Maybe just cut and paste to save yourself some time.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
FWIW - Here's a picture of the RAR bedding system.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by varmintsinc
A predator in 6.5 creedmore sounds perfect for the wife, wish they would offer the 6.5 in their standard all weather.

Ruger did offer it at one time in the sporter weight stainless all weather rifle, but the current web site doesn't show it available at this time in 6.5 CM.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Thanks for the pic, looks like bedding would not be to bad, just two side luggettes.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think this whole thread is going down the toilet. Between my Daughter and I we have 5 Tikkas and one Sako. They all shoot well under an inch 5 shot group and her new compact is an amazing shooter. Now, to the American. Yes it is less expensive and some say not as good as the Tikka but lets give Ruger a ten for producing a good rifle at a moderate price. It is even coming out in a LH which means Ruger has listened to what the consumers want and is trying to fill that gap. I have a new Ruger Hawkeye and it shoots better than I can hold it. Rugers customer service is unmatched in the industry as far as I am concerned. 50 years of gunsmithing I feel qualifies me to make that statement. Now to the cost factor. Pro rate the cost of the rifle and scope etc. to its years of use you get out of it and I think in that span you have probably spent more per year on Beer than the pro-rated cost of the rifle. What's the old saying, to each his own.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 1minute, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 64 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,434
Posts18,470,811
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.