Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by K1500
Chances you need it...almost zero. Brymoore however is incorrect. Just a couple years ago a grizzly attacked and killed campers in Soda Butte Campground, MT just outside of Yellowstone. They were all sleeping in a tent, and multiple tents were attacked. A rifle and bear spray is probably more than enough, but either would be tough to use in a tent.

I have both a Glock 20 and a 329pd. I like both, but lean toward the Glock for most uses. When weight is a premium I tend to take the 329 as it is noticeably lighter. If it matters to you, the Glock is a great general purpose handgun that is fun to shoot the 99.9% of the time you are not backpacking. The 329 is not fun to shoot at all and generally sits in the safe most of the time. If I had to pick only one it would be the Glock.

Brymoore was right. Statistically, the tent attack is extremely unlikely to happen.

Likely a much better chance that a drunk naked co-ed will stumble into your tent than a bear.

If I'm packing a rifle, I skip the handgun.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Well, he said 'statistically won't happen'. I'll agree it is a statistical rarity, but I would not say it NEVER happens, as clearly it does. Of course, the most dangerous part of the trip is the car ride, followed by threat of heart attack due to exertion or excitement, followed by slip and fall, followed by exposure, followed by insect sting, followed by.....but what fun would it be to talk about all that?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Great feedback and I have to say I am intrigued with the Smith 329. It is 25 ounces empty, and likely around 29 ounces loaded with six. That is approaching the Glock 23 40 cal at 32 ounces with 14 shells. Granted the 44 mag would be more effective.

I think Apparition nailed the issue best, sleeping in a nylon taco shell (tent) trying to point a rifle or spray pepper spray is an unpleasant thought. While unlikely, it is a possibility. We had a grizzly come into camp last year after a kill in the Brooks Range. We ran him off pretty easily but afterward the guide pointed out the best feature of a floor-less tent; if something comes in the front door, you can pull up stakes and go out the back. I now have a floor-less tent.

On every trip I always wish I had carried less junk up the mountain. I would really like to skip the pistol but I know it will be comforting to have in the tent. Whiskey is probably the best solution. Skipping a few meals and carrying the Glock 20 is probably a better one. Dropping from 14 to 10 shells will shed a couple of ounces and it is unlikely you would ever use one shell, much less 14. That is a great suggestion and while a few ounces doesn't normally matter, it all adds up when backpack hunting.

The weights loaded should be as follows:

SW 329 44mag with 6 shells. -- 29 ounces
Glock 29 40 caliber with 10 shells -- 30 ounces
Glock 29 40 caliber with 14 shells -- 32 ounces
Glock 20 10mm with 10 shells. -- 38 ounces
Glock 20 10mm with 14 shells. -- 40 ounces

I don't think I will save much weight going with the 329 based on the above. The only time I can see I would ever use a pistol is in the unlikely event I suddenly found myself in a wresting match with a bear in the dark while wearing a sleeping bag inside a nylon taco shell. In that case, the 44 mag might be a slightly better tool. And, 11 ounces of weight from one extreme to the other is significant. I know, it sounds like justification to buy another gun -- grin.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Statistically, the tent attack is extremely unlikely to happen.

Originally Posted by brymoore
Only if he's attacked in his tent by a bear, something that statistically, won't happen.

Think again: See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

�Kammer was in his tent at Soda Butte Campground when a mother bear attacked and dragged him 25 feet (7.6 m) away.�

�Ives was grabbed from a family tent in American Fork Canyon, and mauled.�

�The Huffmans were attacked while in their tent at a campsite along the Hulahula River 12 miles (19 km) upriver from Kaktovik.�

�In the Marten River Campground, Waddel was dragged from a tent during the night and killed.�

�Mahoney was dragged from a tent and killed at Many Glacier campground. Rangers killed two grizzly bears in the area a few hours after the attack.�

�Anderson was grabbed from his tent while camping. His body was found 100 feet (30 m) from the tent.�

�Fredenhagen was dragged from her tent during the night and killed at a backcountry campsite at the southern end of White Lake in Yellowstone National Park.�

�May was dragged from his tent, and eaten at the Rainbow Point campground, northwest of Yellowstone National Park. The bear was captured and killed with an injection of poison.�

Those are just reported fatalities. I recall a tent attack in N. Mex. About 12 years ago where a guy shot a black bear while biting his head and lived, because the bear died from the gunshot wound.

Rifle is more difficult in a tent. Spray is ridiculously stupid protecting against a bear in a tent.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
As you can see bear attacks happen, but they are few and far between.

That is correct. But so are vehicle accident fatalities compared to the time in a vehicle. I'm 46, and never had my seat belt or airbag deployed. I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles and never yet "needed" them. Still put the seatbelt on. In the meantime, I've used a handgun in the backwoods of Colorado one time that meant the difference between tragedy and otherwise. It involved a threat from several humans, but if I had not had my 40S&W at the time, it would have meant very bad things for my, then, fianc� and me. I also know several people who have been threatened in remote camps/hikes by mountain lions and bears. Not common. But it does happen. I never put my vehicles in drive without the seatbelt on. I never go out into the wild without a handgun. If I am hunting, I leave the rifle in the tent during intermission, and put a 30oz-52oz (depending) handgun on my hip. Probably okay without it. I do have a couple of small boys though, and I would hate to have them asking, while I'm dead," why didn't he have one of his guns"? If the boys are with me, even more so.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's me fishing. Wouldn't want to be carrying my bear rifle. So, a .454 is a good companion likely to be on my person.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Honestly, if I didn't have the revolver, the rifle would have been too far away; probably in that raft about 60 yards away.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Timberbuck
The topic of how many rounds the guns hold is not viable, you will be lucky to get off more than one or two rounds on a charging bear.

Possibly:

"'The man, who was in the lead, drew a .45 [ACP] caliber semi-automatic pistol when they heard a noise coming from the brush. When the [brown] bear emerged from the thicket and ran toward the other hiker, he fired approximately nine rounds in its general direction. The bear stopped, turned, and walked back into the brush, where it quickly disappeared from view,' said the [park's] release. ... The bear was found dead in a willow thicket approximately 100 feet from the pistol casings ..." http://www.nationalparkstraveler.co...rs-denali-national-park-and-preserve5943

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After a couple decades of dicking off in the backcountry, here's what I know about handguns. You'll never need one, until you do.

You're going to carry in 16000% more than you're actually going to shoot it...

In todays day and age of badass ninja [bleep], you'd be an idiot to pack a handgun that wasn't wearing tritiums and a weapons mounted light around 200 lumens.

Glock 20's are badass. Buy your ammo from Underwood or Buffalo Bore. DT is bullshit, and far from what it says it chrono's. If there's an animal alive that can take 200 grain Hornady XTPs at a honest to god 1218 FPS, I don't want to meet it in a dark alley.

Packing a handgun in rifle season is [bleep] retarded.

Buy a G20 and rock on... If you break it, wear it out, rust it out, just go buy another one for 550 bucks.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a glock 20 and a 329 PD...on the times I got backpacking without a rifle (summer scouting for example)up here in Alaska I take the 329 PD every time with the buffalo bore rounds that are made basically for the 329 PD.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=55

For bear protection in a tent that you are so concerned you won't need 10 shots a mag....you'll be doing good to get one off so the fact that the 44 mag holds 6 is really about 4 too many wink

But if I am out hunting up here, I never carry a pistol if I have a rifle along. Just more stuff to carry and worry about. I suppose if wasn't a weight restricted backpacking hunt (most of my hunts are backpack hunts) I could bring the pistol, but I usually don't. Guess I don't worry about it like most do or lose and sleep over it.

If it makes you sleep better and gives you a warm fuzzy sure bring the pistol, otherwise just keep your rifle close by and "roll the dice". Though I like my odds so I think I'll stick with just taking the rifle on my rifle hunts smile

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I use a very light electric bear fence when in grizzly country. Or if I want to go very light an electric door alarm rigged up with fishing line to go off f something walks through it.

Way better than waking up with a bear collapsing the tent and sitting on my chest! Here in Canada a handgun is out so I make do with a Rossi Ranch Hand in 44 mag, It's considered a rifle up here.

I ended up putting a full stock on it as it handles so much better and it's still pretty handy

[Linked Image]

Last edited by North61; 06/11/14.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Statistically, the tent attack is extremely unlikely to happen.

Originally Posted by brymoore
Only if he's attacked in his tent by a bear, something that statistically, won't happen.

Think again: See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki

Maybe you should think again:

-You are 12 times more likely to die of a bee sting than a bear attack (120 times more likely compared to a black bear)

-You are 10 times more likely to die from a dog attack than a bear attack (45 times more likely compared to a black bear attack)

-For each person killed by a black bear attack there are 13 people killed by snakes, 17 by spiders, 45 by dogs, 120 by bees, 150 by tornadoes, 374 by lightning, and 60,000 by humans.

http://www.grizzlybay.org/LearnMore/AttackStats.htm

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
While you are correct, you are missing two things. First many, many more people are exposed to the other risks (dogs, bees, snakes, etc.). You cite number of people hurt, not rates. One reason why number of bear attacks are low is the fact that they have a limited range and there are a limited number of people exposed to the risk, especially in comparison to lightning, spiders, etc. Not many people have the opportunity to get mauled while on the golf course or baseball field, but plenty of them get struck by lightning. You understate his risk exposure when you cite general odds and he is undertaking a specific activity that exposes him to the risk.

While the above point I made is true, it also doesn't matter. The main point is the OP wanted advice on a handgun choice, not advice on why he doesn't need one. Statistically, he never will need it, but he wants it and that is enough. He should get what makes him feel good and sleep well at night. After all, if a G20 in his tent lets him rest easy and get an extra hour or two of sack time, he will probably reduce his risk of heart attack enough to make the cost of carrying the thing worthwhile.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
+ On the g 20

Long live the NRA
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave
Buy a Smith 329.

Find an undocumented immigrant to sight it in for you with full house bear loads.

Pray you never have to use it.

Travis

The rationalizations for the G20 are interesting but weak. Travis' answer is a lot more sensible.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DanAdair
After a couple decades of dicking off in the backcountry, here's what I know about handguns. You'll never need one, until you do.

You're going to carry in 16000% more than you're actually going to shoot it...

In todays day and age of badass ninja [bleep], you'd be an idiot to pack a handgun that wasn't wearing tritiums and a weapons mounted light around 200 lumens.

Glock 20's are badass. Buy your ammo from Underwood or Buffalo Bore. DT is bullshit, and far from what it says it chrono's. If there's an animal alive that can take 200 grain Hornady XTPs at a honest to god 1218 FPS, I don't want to meet it in a dark alley.

Packing a handgun in rifle season is [bleep] retarded.

Buy a G20 and rock on... If you break it, wear it out, rust it out, just go buy another one for 550 bucks.

This pretty much sums it up.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Buy a Smith 329.

Find an undocumented immigrant to sight it in for you with full house bear loads.

Travis

The rationalizations for the G20 are interesting but weak. Travis' answer is a lot more sensible.

Tom

Yes, all of the professionals I've ever met, who go into harm's way, ALL reccomend weapons they can't handle and shoot poorly.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Buy a Smith 329.

Travis

Tom

Yes, but Travis has never jumped out of an airplane.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I always get a kick out of these threads, because it seems like the guys who worry the most about these encounters are not the guys who live, work, and play in bear country.

Another thing I'll mention: Our Canadian neighbors seem to get by just fine without handguns (though some are able to carry) in big bear habitat.

Last edited by prairie_goat; 06/11/14.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Yes, all of the professionals I've ever met, who go into harm's way, ALL reccomend weapons they can't handle and shoot poorly.

I'm not a professional, I just own and shoot one. I handle it fine and I shoot it fine.

Tom

PS: Do you have anything intelligent to add? Hint: snark and cynicism don't count.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

That means you're good to go with every firearm ever built!

Lucky you!

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,838 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,711
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.