Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I see the things advertised, catering to bowhunters, and supposedly you put them just above your deer stand, and the O3 cancels human odors. For a mere $400 or so smile

Anyone try one, or otherwise seen any reports on effectiveness?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
They should come with a free Butt-Out tool�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you are spending $400 you are getting taken. I have 3 but I dont take them in the field with me. I use them to deodorize my gear using this.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8933375/1

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by ingwe
They should come with a free Butt-Out tool�.

I have a great recipe for eye of bung roast...

Kent

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by krp
I have a great recipe for eye of bung roast...

Kent

Note to self......

NEVER eat at Kent's house!!!!!!

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
One of my hunting buddies swears by the ozonic. I don't know which model he has but it is 2-3 years old. He won't hunt from a stand without it now. He does kill some big bucks every year in WV and Ohio so maybe there is something to it.

From what I can tell, the fan is pretty noisy, it smells like mildew and it would be a pain to lug in and out of the woods and have fresh batteries for it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pay attention to the wind and get high enough in a tree and the deer won't smell you

No need for high priced gimmicks when a good shower works as well

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snyper
Pay attention to the wind and get high enough in a tree and the deer won't smell you

No need for high priced gimmicks when a good shower works as well

Tough for fat old guys to jump from treetop to treetop, you know, without actually walking on the ground. smirk

And I still haven't seen anyone actually sell Fart-Lok underwear. Guess it's vaporwear... smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I make Border ghillies with my patented Chit-lok technology... rags and used depends... for the discriminating border hunter that wants to blend into the habitat...

probably not what you were wanting for a treestand though...

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
tex- you owe me a quarter for saying Fart-Lok. just sayin.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
krp
When Border Patrol catches border crossers they should take them out to those dump sites and make them pick up everything bore deporting them. Just saying. Cheers NC

Last edited by northcountry; 07/10/14.

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I see the things advertised, catering to bowhunters, and supposedly you put them just above your deer stand, and the O3 cancels human odors. For a mere $400 or so smile

Anyone try one, or otherwise seen any reports on effectiveness?

Do they work? Yes

As advertised? NO

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Not being contentious here, but have a lot of background in olfactory stuff�.How do they work?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
They work by killing the odor in your clothes. Ozone will also purify water. Hospitals use Ozone also.

The problem is that once removed from the container they absorb whatever odors are around. Including any sweat and odors from the body once the clothes are worn.

So yes Ozone works. The problem is that unless you can keep yourself totally enclosed in it, then it is a weak defense at best.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ozone is a gas. How does it absorb whatever odors are around? Part of the Kinetic Molecular theory is that a gas molecule cannot and will not bond with another gas molecule. Bonding takes place at the atomic, not the molecular level.
I understand ozone oxidizes a great many compounds�and it may be zapping a few odors that way�but it also creates Carbon Dioxide as it oxidizes�an increase in Carbon dioxide is one of the components of a human scent signature.
I obviously don't know how or if it works, I was just hoping somebody did�and I damn sure agree with you that its a weak defense at best.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bet if I had a $400 gadget I'd swear it worked too

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I never said Ozone absorbs anything. I said it kills or another words eliminates odor.

I said once the clothes are removed "they absorb" odor. They being the clothes!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don't have a $400 gadget. But I know the science behind it and I know it works. However like I said from the beginning it doesn't work as advertised.

Tell me how many systems you have worked on in hospitals and water treatment plants?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ozone reduces odor in a couple of ways. Chemically the ozone molecule is an oxygen molecule with an extra oxygen (O3 instead of O2) attached which makes it a very strong oxidizing agent that reacts with a number of other molecules. In a nutshell, it eliminates odors by chemically reacting with odiferous compounds and breaking them down into other smaller molecules like carbon dioxide which are odorless. What many people don't consider is that ozone also is used in the health field to kill bacteria. Therefore it can help kill the bacteria from the body that creates the stinky scent molecules in the first place.
Ozone in a closed container can do a good job of eliminating odors. Place a pair of your worst smelling socks in a Tupperware container with ozone pumped in for a few minutes and you'll be convinced of its odor eliminated capability. I have not tried, nor do I want to try, dragging a generator into woods to hunt with. I lug too much crap in with me now. They are way overpriced for what you get and ozone is a lung irritant that may not be healthy to be around for any period of time. As a side note and as mentioned above, carbon dioxide is odorless so it has no impact on deer. Remember that people are big CO2 generators. But insects like mosquitos, ticks, deer flies, etc. have special receptors in their bodies that help them find breathing animals as they emit CO2. I have no idea whether O3 generators attract insects but I could see it as a possibility.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
OK�that makes sense�thanks for that explanation.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,421
Posts18,470,590
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.