Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've had some 'goobers' on my range and I stand them on the 300 yard line and ask them..."What's the distance to the steel plate hanging on the left?" It's a 20"x12" size and I've had quotes from 500 yards to 700 yards!

That's where these 1000 yard shots are coming from!! shocked whistle

Go here and LEARN just what a 30/06 is capable of:

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/p/articles-index.html

Last edited by RMulhern; 06/11/14.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I have gotten a far bigger thrill when the animals were a lot closer...Felt more involved in a pursuit, and less like a detached assassin.

Why even hunt with a rifle then? Sounds like a recurve should be your hunting tool of choice.

I've done a little test the last two months and have proven to myself and others that a magnum launching high BC bullets puts other chamberings at a disadvantage wink

I got magnums... wink

I just think there's a substantive difference between hunting an animal that at least has a chance of detecting me,and one that's so far away he doesn't stand a chance of knowing I'm around. I know not everyone feels this way.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go here and LEARN just what a 30/06 is capable of:

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/p/articles-index.html

Now why would someone who doesn't like recoil go to a link and watch a .30-06 video? They kick too hard for what they accomplish down range. Take a .270 for example......

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
You just have to keep a sense of humor.

You will only get a decent conversation/feedback about long range, if you are talking with another practitioner.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
...if you really want to see a blank stare, ask if they were correcting for drop in MOA, or mils.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BriGuy
I have a two part rant that I'm sure a lot of you guys can relate to, but thought I would share it none the less.

Rant #1. While taking lunch at work, a friend and I discussed the coming deer season. Him knowing I had Mickey Coleman build my last rifle asked with a puzzled look,

"Why spend that much money to build a 30-06?"

As if the 30-06 is so undeserving to take whitetails. Not wanting to get into the long pointless debate, I told him the truth. It's a splendid round to shoot, doesn't punish the shoulder, the 30-06 has proven its accuracy potential countless times, hits plenty hard to anchor the largest of whitetails, and for 400 yrds and less which is well beyond the average shooters ability to shoot and well beyond the range I'm likely to take whitetails in my area. Why not the 30-06?

Of course his standard answer to my question was as you all have heard before. "You need to shoot a magnum."

Just as I was preparing to roll my eyes, another guy whom was thinking he was lending credence to my argument piped in and made the statement that just makes me boil which brings me to

Rant #2 and I quote. "Me and dad was hunting in Minnesota on a family farm and I shot a buck with his 30-06 at about 700 yrds running and dropped him in his tracks".

Without thinking I shouted Bullshit! Three times in fact. Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. Now normally I don't call someone out like that. I just shake my head to myself, and disengage from the conversation. But knowing what I know in the shooting world as limited as my knowledge truly is compared to some distinguished members of this board. I just couldn't let it go.

I find difficulty shooting @ 500 yards on a good day at times from a solid bench. Wind wrecks havoc on me when I think I have it whipped, and sometimes something as simple as losing track of how many clicks I actually dialed in on my elevation turrets humbles me. I will probably never get the opportunity to take a buck at such extended ranges. But I would like to know that one day if I get that chance I'll be ready. However I wouldn't think of it unless I was positive I could make it happen. The limiting factor isn't the round I choose to shoot. That I'm sure of.

Ok rant finished.

Excellent post Briguy. Sounds like you've set a maximum range for yourself at 400 yards. The good ol 30-06 will have absolutely no problems at that range. I would have also called bullshit as well. Good for you!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RMulhern
I've had some 'goobers' on my range and I stand them on the 300 yard line and ask them..."What's the distance to the steel plate hanging on the left?" It's a 20"x12" size and I've had quotes from 500 yards to 700 yards!

That's where these 1000 yard shots are coming from!! shocked whistle

Exactly...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Its like measuring fish or using the distance women think is six inches who get their idea of length from their husbands.

And it gets longer with each telling. If they can hit the black at 300 yards off the bench (or even on the bench) it is pretty rare. 700 is really good from a stable setup(but remember how long they think six inches are).

However, who cares? No one actually believes them, unless perhaps they can ring the gong waaaaaay out there while someone is watching. Otherwise, let them blow.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was in a gunshop right after the A-Bolt came out. One of the yahoos was bragging on how accurate his was when he claimed he bore sighted one, then lit up a deer and a claimed 500 yards. Without actually zeroing the rifle.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
BriGuy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
...if you really want to see a blank stare, ask if they were correcting for drop in MOA, or mils.

I've done that before only slightly different. I had a guy tell me he busts rocks out to 1000 yards with his .270 win. I ask them a question that usually bust them right away. Usually I inquire about their scope, and then ask if they are using a 20 MOA canted rail or 30 MOA. Normally after hinting that 1000 yards normally would be beyond the adjustment range of their scope, I get the "I hold over about a foot."

I usually say something along the lines of "Hmmmmm well 130 grn .270 Win bullet drop out to 1000 yards is about 25 feet. So your dialing in 24 feet of elevation without having to cant the rails?" Awesome. I WANT THAT STANDARD HUNTING SCOPE!!!

I should add that although my math isn't technically correct, they get the point because they do not know better. Usually ends the bullshit right away.

Last edited by BriGuy; 06/12/14.
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Encountered a hunter once who had just taken a buck with a 264 Win Mag. Six hundred yards, aimed dead on, and drilled it through the neck.

OkieDokie
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 7mmfreak
I had a sniper squad leader who told me he shot a doe running at 500m through the head. I also saw this guy shoot his personal gun at 300m one day and his version of sub-MOA and mine are MUCH different. After a while I determined he talked a lot more than he actually did things and if his lips were moving he was lying. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore and called him out as often as he told bullshit stories.

I fail to see why most folks think snipers are such good shots.

They are GREAT at getting places undetected, and staying so, reporting data, taking and occasional shot here and there, generally at probably 600 or less yards, and thats an ok range for a practiced person.

But every one I saw come into a military highpower team, was easy to outshoot at the onset. Of course after much more practice they were tough to beat.

OTOH I know more than a few competitive military shooters that later went and qualified for sniper... and they were not to be reckoned with shooting wise.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That is the advantage of magnums--enough power so you don't have to fuss with all that scope stuff...

Defend the Constitution
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by tomk
That is the advantage of magnums--enough power so you don't have to fuss with all that scope stuff...

30-06 pushing a 180 Accubond at 2800 fps has a max pbr of about 292 yards. The 300 WinMag at 3100 fps has a max pbr of about 318 yards.

That's a 26 yard gain in max pbr by going magnum and adding 300 fps.

Even with a magnum, a laser and a turret might be useful.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by OkieDokie
Encountered a hunter once who had just taken a buck with a 264 Win Mag. Six hundred yards, aimed dead on, and drilled it through the neck.

That's nothing. I talked to one once who shot a doe at 350 with an open-sighted 35 Remington. He was able to do it because there was snow on the ground.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
I've been in the gun business for 20 years and constantly hear such claims. I long ago came to the conclusion that 90% of the dumbasses that claim to make such long shots have absolutely no concept of how far 500 yards (or 400, or 700) really is....

I worked in a gun shop for 6 years, and I totally agree about the dumbasses range estimation skills

Last edited by Snyper; 06/12/14.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
BriGuy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A smith whom built my first rifle told me once that only a fool estimates yardage without some form of assistance, and then shoots it. After shooting my first 500 yard gong, and how easily it is to miss, I understood his statement clearly.

Gravities effect on bullets become super noticeable pass 300

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
It's amazing how so many peoples 700 yards measure 500 feet or less .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's amazing how so many peoples 700 yards measure 500 feet or less .

That right there is the truth.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A better than average range finder will not accurately judge a critter much past 500 yards. Some will not get close to 500.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,811 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,385
Posts18,469,625
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.