Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by Bbear
I wouldn't think of taking a '700 yard shot' at walking deer, much less a running deer. I have more respect for the game than that.

If you practiced shooting more often you might change your mind wink

Just speaking for myself, I have practiced shooting quite a bit, but simply do not understand why some folks are infatuated with shooting animals at very long range.I'm not really against it;simply don't care about it.

The technology of LR rifle shooting fascinates me;it'a also fun plinking targets at great distance,and I "get" the intellectual stimulation of ballistic problem solving,and hitting a small target at great distance. I always figured that's what varmint hunting was for.

But sniping some unsuspecting BG animal at 1000 yards would leave me ambivalent.....at least that's how I felt on the handful of animals I've killed at 500 yards or so.It did not thrill me at all....kind of like not being involved in a "hunt".

I have gotten a far bigger thrill when the animals were a lot closer...Felt more involved in a pursuit, and less like a detached assassin.

Maybe that's why I got by with a 4X scope all those years. grin

I agree Bob, although I douse more X's and an elevation turret.

I've also guided enough to know that someone who can hit an antelope reliably at 300 yards is, well, to be kind, uncommon.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My feelings too. Sure, they might be able to kill an elk at 1,000 yards.

But can they find it afterward?

I've killed caribou out beyond 400 yards on the tundra tussocks- not a tree or bush in sight. The corpse is often smaller than the tussocks, and not that different in color.

I take a compass line, just to make it easy... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bullets got to go somewhere, every now and then an animal gets in the way.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's why I LOVE Sky Busting.................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The old 700 yard .30-06 story and many other miracles is EXACTLY why I hate the .30-06!

I can't count the number of times I've heard a tale of tales about magic shots with one!

All the fair weather/bandwagon Dale Earnhardt fans soured me on him as well and I think he was actually a good driver.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las
My feelings too. Sure, they might be able to kill an elk at 1,000 yards.

But can they find it afterward?

I found a few. grin

1000 yds.

[Linked Image]

1100 yds.

[Linked Image]

Heck there was the one time I even found a coyote that died at 4 digits on the range finder. (1017 yds for those that are somewhat slow)'

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Gotta agree with BobinNH on the LR killing stuff. Even though I plink around doing it, when I get serious trying to kill something, I get a big thrill on sneaking in as close as I can comfortably get. Burns obviously knows what he's doing, but based on the hunters I've had, and 42 years of killing stuff, the vast, vast majority of people have no business trying to kill big game over 250 yards. Then there's the wind factor......which will baffle the best of the best lots of times.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great shooters that snipe successfully and great hunters that are only average shooters are not one and the same. Bob has obviously been around more than a couple great hunters. wink

They both have their own set of bragging rights.

Last edited by battue; 09/04/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To say everyone falls into one category or the other would be a mistake.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Im sure someone has covered this angle ( didn't read the whole thread) but its up to the individual to do what he feels comfortable with. ( Granted many in all schools of thought feel comfortable loooong before they should)
If you have the right equipment,amount of practice, and mind set long range may be for you.
If you don't care for the idea and aren't comfortable shooting past 300 yards, then don't do it.

Its not rocket surgery...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hell, it would be a mistake to say most fall into either of the two categories.

Time permitting I would appreciate one of the LR people taking me under their wing for a little bit. But give me a choice and I would rather hang with one who knows what the game is thinking and why and where they are thinking it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Off subject for a second.

Ingwe: That Dog is coming along nicely. Thanks for the advice.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Gotta agree with BobinNH on the LR killing stuff. Even though I plink around doing it, when I get serious trying to kill something, I get a big thrill on sneaking in as close as I can comfortably get. Burns obviously knows what he's doing, but based on the hunters I've had, and 42 years of killing stuff, the vast, vast majority of people have no business trying to kill big game over 250 yards. Then there's the wind factor......which will baffle the best of the best lots of times.

Extra funny,due your incredible CLUELESSNESS.

Bless your heart..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not a back up and spice to the program,type.

I'll happily take 10yd broadsides all day and every day,but it's hardly daunting to be tooled in accords,to connect the most dots.

Light done right and handy/dandy trumps all,if only because I've got 'em all............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My point is that if you're not capable of both, you are an incomplete hunter.

Kinda like Sporting.

If you get to a teal station and can't hit teal, you have a hole in your game.

I've called elk in so close I could have killed them with an axe.

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Agree.

However, when it comes to the LR group it is rare for them to mention they spotted the game at x yards and then moved up to x-y yards because they could.

It's their game and the great ones are just that. Most have a hard time accepting that some can do things they can't, so they think most should do what they can.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
My point is that if you're not capable of both, you are an incomplete hunter.

Kinda like Sporting.

If you get to a teal station and can't hit teal, you have a hole in your game.

I've called elk in so close I could have killed them with an axe.

I can hit teal until they get too far away. grin

For me. cry

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My point is that if you're not capable of both, you are an incomplete hunter. ...

I really don't know about that....you may be an incomplete shooter. But not an incomplete hunter. wink

BTW I have mentioned this before, but I shot with John Burns in Wyoming. He clearly knows what he is doing at distance,and is one of the very few people I have personally met who was capable at great distance. His kill record at the 1000 yard marker does not surprise me.

I killed a great mule deer after he left;after shooting with him to 1300 yards, the 340 yard shot seemed like a sneeze. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/04/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shooting/hitting POA/POI correlations is the easiest part of any/all HUnts. If it isn't,you've dropped alotta balls along the way.

I get a kick out of The LR Crowd and their Distant Dinks................(grin)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
My point is that if you're not capable of both, you are an incomplete hunter. ...

I really don't know about that....you may be an incomplete shooter. But not an incomplete hunter. wink

Jeez, do we have to dredge up that thread again? LOL

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (160user, 204guy, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 49 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,399
Posts18,470,113
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.