Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Here in South Louisiana we use Beef Heart cut in small chunks, works well - get it from wal-mart

Small Crawfish is great also

cut fish is good too!

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I didn't read the whole thread for responses, so forgive me if this is redundant.

#1. Live minnows

#2. Raw shrimp

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I grew up in Ca and we used to spend a week at Clear Lake on summer vacation and fish for bass, crappie and catfish. The bait of choice for cats was shelled crawdad tails.

Used to fish for cats in the Delta and the bait of choice there was clams.

In Southern Ca at Big Bear Lake if you were fishing for cats near the boat ramp trout guts worked exceptionally well.

In Northern Ca at Shasta Lake strips of filleted bluegill would catch cats and if you knew where and when (I didn't) it was possible to catch a sturgeon.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by rost495
Zote is right on soap... or homemade bait soap, with Anise if possible for channels

Amazed no one mentioned, that I saw, regular old worms, use em all the time. And any grasshopper but the green ones seem not as good as regular grasshoppers.

Best by far for channels are helgramites

Grasshoppers! Yup Jeff, them big green ones!! And hellgrammites always worked good on our end of the Colorado to on channel cats.

Used a big sucker or a perch to get them big yellow cats!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've caught more big, 50-70 lb flatheads on fillet of herring shad than anything else.

I jug fish and often have a lot of live bait as well on my 70 or so jugs. I always get the big flatheads of the shad fillets.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use Sonnys catfish dip bait with rubber worms. Raw shrimp. And when back in Idaho small rainbow trout (mortality) from the local hatcheries.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Strawberry chicken. Buy skinless boneless breast and cut them into desired chunks put them in a freezer bag and sprinkle a pack of sugar free strawberry Jello, mix it up good put it in the freezer and take it out the night before your going to use it.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On the small river near where I grew up, our go to bait for channels was always chicken guts. Grampa would get a 5 gallon bucket of them from a local butcher (I think, he never would divulge where he actually got them ). He would then separate and "strip" them of the connective tissue, put them in bags and freeze for use throughout the summer. If we were fishing in the near future, he would put them in quart size Mason jars and refrigerate. Immediate use meant they sat in the jar on the picnic table for at least overnight. Putting the guts on a hook was a special method, too long to explain here, but easy to do once you were showed how - not just globbed on the hook. If grampa wasn't having any immediate luck catching kitties, he'd reach in the jar for a liver and put it on the hook as well . . . he called that putting on a "bomb". Never saw anyone with the ability to catch catfish like gramps. Funny thing was he didn't like to eat fish, so always gave them away.

Blues and flatheads seem to prefer cut or live bait but channel cats are not as persnickety. I have always heard that if it floats, sinks, stinks or swims, channels will eat it.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
As Take a Knee noted, it depends on the species.

Channel cats: chicken liver, hot dogs, rotten meat, cheeseball, dead fish, etc.

Flathead cats: live bream (sunfish)

Blue cats: fresh cut shad (herring)

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by Steelhead
On a side note, I don't know how many channel cats I've caught with Ivory soap, but that was always on bush hooks and trotlines.

We had a piece of piano wire strung between 2 nails in an old stump that we used to shave pieces off the bar with.

If you wanna use soap, Zote is the ticket.

There used to be bait soap for cats that worked better than Zote. At least for us, but I have not seen it in a long time. Came in thin bars wrapped in paper, just like the thin bars I used to make.

I need to see if you can even buy Lye anymore and make some soap again, home made with anise seed and oil of anise was like a miracle bait at times.

But on the river here it depends on times.. sometimes they go soap, sometimes grasshoppers. Even June bugs at times. Sometimes red wigglers, and sometimes nightcrawlers. Sometimes only one of the above will work...
But helgramites have worked every last time, or they were not biting, like they can do around August at times...

Yellows we've caught only with live bait. And we've used about anything legal. Mudcats are good too but goggle eyes have been best, as long as the gar are not bad. They don't mess with the mudcats as much as with perch.

Largest yellow I"ve seen, was 62 IIRC< and it had in its belly....... an opposum...I don' think you can get bait too large for them.

We've fished with 5-10 gaspers before.... but I guess never in the right time or place, though we've had some 4-5 pound channels on lines swallowed up to the fins....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by srwshooter
we fish the palmunkey river near richmond va. last week for 2 days and came home with 40lb of fillets. we use cut eel. we buy them live at the bait shop . they are about a foot long,cut the in 1in chunks. they almost impossible to pull off a hook. some use shrimp,clam snouts,cut perch,herring,shad. any kind of fresh fish works really well. catch what ever is available and cut into chunks. use cicle hooks and they will hardly ever get off the hook.

This is interesting. We started using circle hooks years back, and caught almost nothing. Went back to Oshaugnessy and found they hadn't quit biting, just we started catching again.

On eels, never thought to use as bait, but know if you catch one, there isn't going to be anything else biting. For some reason.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
"There used to be bait soap for cats that worked better than Zote."

Jeff, I think it was called J & B Brand soap. Used to by it at the old grocery store in Bastrop..

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Peeled shrimp or peeled crayfish.

Last edited by 12344mag; 06/11/14.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Salt Pork works pretty good too, tough pig skin stays on the hook, cats like the salty taste can be enhanced with scents.

We used to pop a jack rabbit or mudhen & use the intestines, stays on the hook pretty well, no need for added scent.

[Linked Image]
Keep the Wind in your Face, Sun at your Back, & Silhouette in Shadows
Know guns, know peace, know safety
No guns, no peace, no safety

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by birddog65
Local 15 acre lake is suppose to have some big catfish in it. Whats your best bait??

A set of tanks, flips, respirator, light and spear gun. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
This is interesting. We started using circle hooks years back, and caught almost nothing.

I use circle hooks quite a lot.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
My brother and I have found that bullheads are best. The bigger the better. 10-14" ones catch big flatheads.
AB

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Me too.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I know folks who'll put a live smallmouth bass on a hook when they're going after the big flatheads. They're pretty hardcore, though.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Premo Catfish Dip Bait and surgical tube worms work magic on channel cats and the occasional blue.

I like it because the tub of bait lasts a long time and you never get robbed by smaller fish. Fresh cut bait works awesome but I catch too many gar and turtles. Worms or liver get cleaned off by eels and panfish.

With the stink bait I catch only catfish with the occasional snapping turtle.

Semper Fi

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,818
Posts18,477,708
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.