Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
n8dawg6 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
This is the Ruger 10/22 with the swirly heavy barrel. You don't see quite as many of them these days, I picked this one up several months ago and just got to the range to try 'er out.

[Linked Image]

the scope is a profile in derpage for target shooting, el cheapo burris 2-7x that was laying around. it's just a stopgap measure. trigger on the gun is ... ok for a 10/22. pretty good for a 10/22 actually, about a 4 lb pull with little creep and a lotta overtravel.

Shooting strictly CCI SV through it at the 50 yd line, from mixed lots, this was the 1st 10 shot group:

[Linked Image]

meh. This was the second 10 shot group though ...

[Linked Image]

now I'm interested. bear in mind it's a bone stock rifle with an el cheapo burris scope that isn't parallax set for 50.

So anyway, now it's time to put "real" glass on it and move it back to 100 yd and beyond. functioned without a hitch, not the slightest hiccup in feeding. I might could get used to it ...

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Those are actually pretty nice as issued.

My 10/22 started as that very rifle. It shot about the same as yours. Trigger is decent, and still original.

Along the way I've swapped for a 16" fluted barrel, and a different stock.

N
n8dawg6 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
a different stock.

this thought has already crossed my mind ... the stock is ok, but the pistol grip on it puts my hand a long way from the trigger. no good for my short fangers.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
10/22's are hard to not love.

For me anyway.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for sharing. I've been wanting to get one of the older ones like yours. I've regretted not buying a couple that were in the $300.00 range at gunshows. Looks like yours is shooting good. I'd also be curious to see how it likes the bulk pack federal's (automatch and 525 pack champion hp's).. Nice little rifle..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by deflave
fat women are hard to not love.

For me anyway.

Travis

Figures... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I have a stainless LVT that I got last fall, and it is a shooter like yours. How long is your barrel? Mine's the 20".

Kevlars

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
10/22 target's are big fun..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
They can be addictive . I only have 4 and I am eyeballing another .

When you find yourself in a hole stop digging.....
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Buds has 10/22 Targets in stock. $400 cash price.

Kevlars

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
kevlars - barrel and stock changes on 10/22's (to re-configure) are down rite simple even " 'ol five thumbs Homesteader" can do it. Had a 70's vintage 10/22...purchased a $90 Adams & Bennett .920 barrel from Midway and changed it out (not hard). Added a Boyds 'TactiCool' stock and changed out from OEM stock (even easier). Later treated myself to a Timney trigger. Amazing...

BTW - original full size '70's stock was re-mounted on to a "compact/youth" 10/22 resulting in a great Jeep/shorty cane cutter rifle. Great rimfire system. Homesteader.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I really like mine but I like it a lot more now that I whacked 3.5" of the barrel off.

Brett
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Homesteader
kevlars - barrel and stock changes on 10/22's (to re-configure) are down rite simple even " 'ol five thumbs Homesteader" can do it. Had a 70's vintage 10/22...purchased a $90 Adams & Bennett .920 barrel from Midway and changed it out (not hard). Added a Boyds 'TactiCool' stock and changed out from OEM stock (even easier). Later treated myself to a Timney trigger. Amazing...

BTW - original full size '70's stock was re-mounted on to a "compact/youth" 10/22 resulting in a great Jeep/shorty cane cutter rifle. Great rimfire system. Homesteader.

I know they aren't hard to customize. My problem is, out of the three that I have, I don't have one I want to change from their original configuration! I need to find a beater, or just a receiver to make the way I want to.

Kevlars

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Seems like they would be selling Cheap, since a couple of 500 packs of 22 LR cost more than a Target grade 10/22 these days...

I have four that are getting pretty dusty due to lack of available ammo at an affordable price...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SeaFire - so are mine. The supply has been slowed at the spigot down to a dribble. Can't shoot what you don't have...
Homesteader

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I love the older target barrels. The twisted look on the outside looks very cool.

I have a friend that gave me a 10/22 a few years ago. It was all to helll, but I noticed the barrel ddidn't say read owners manual and the butt plate was metal. I refinished it had the barrel reblued and filed and pollished the hammer to get the pull down a little. I ran the numbers and it was built in 73.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Seafire
Seems like they would be selling Cheap, since a couple of 500 packs of 22 LR cost more than a Target grade 10/22 these days...

I have four that are getting pretty dusty due to lack of available ammo at an affordable price...

Don't know what you are talking about. I still have about a dozen bricks that I picked up for $10 per brick. I did splurge and buy a couple of bricks of CCI SV for $15 each.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I think the older 10/22 Target with the hammer forged blue barrels are one of the prettiest barrels and even the entire rifle. I would NEVER change that barrel. Ruger makes a great barrel and then screws up the thing with a sloppy chamber. If you have the barrel set back and rechambered it will shoot with any custom barrel out there. These are truly excellent barrels and the surgery does not cost much. If you want I can post links to two guys that do the work and are excellent service. Even most of the Carbine Barrels shoot very well after rechambering.

Another thought is to have the bolt blueprinted. For not much they set headspace to minimum, pin the firing pin so it gives consistent ignition (the older the rifle the more important it gets, radius the rear of the bolt to make it run better with SV ammo and even jewel the side of the bolt if wanted. Makes them pretty!!

I have built about 8 or 9 custom 10/22s. I built Sporters with either sporter barrels or a Heavy Sporter with a straight taper and .750" muzzle:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g228/vblancer/FG1/GEDC0085_zps4e3d8bc9.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g228/vblancer/FG1/GEDC0087_zps2b2f80f1.jpg[/img]

It is what you learn after you know it all that is important.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like that last stock. Who made it?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Rolltide
I really like that last stock. Who made it?

It is a copy of the Ruger Finger Groove stock produced in the 60's and early 1970's. It was made by a stock maker no longer in business for himself (he made a run of them for customers but this was his). I happened to catch him after an illness and needing money. To be honest I got the stock for less than the blank would cost.

That is the bad news. The good news is a well established stock maker of many years is just starting his business back up after shutting it down do to a terminal illness his wife had and he wanted to dedicate the time to her.

His website just started and I will be getting another in a VERY different wood, spalted sycamore, really amazing. Like I said this site is brand new like this week.

http://www.benchreststocks.com

Mike does amazing things with wood and is a super honest and friendly guy. Check out the second page of this thread at RFC:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551704&page=2

See what I mean? smile

Last edited by Vincent; 07/09/14.

It is what you learn after you know it all that is important.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 70 invisible), 3,287 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,484
Posts18,471,837
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.